Youtube lands exclusive streaming deal for Overwatch league and Call of Duty league throughout 2020

Milennia

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

ESL ran tournaments shouldn't be affected

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Shoutout to Activision for announcing where the CDL will be streamed 2 hours before it kicks off, great to see them taking this shit seriously
/s in case it wasn't clear

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
After the whole debacle with Overwatch league numbers being probably inflated, and CoD numbers being a bit disappointed, I am not sure thats a good business.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
This is a good change for both IMO.

Twitch may be better for live ciewing but being on youtube makes it easier fot people to discover the league + watch the best game vods than before.

Edit: for those saying Owl views were inflated, that was proven false. Embed views werent counted unless they interacted with the autoplayer.

ToadPacShakur

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, I don't like watching on Twitch. At least with YouTube I get PiP so I can do shit on my phone and still watch

DrScissorsMD

Jan 19, 2019
Probably has no bearing on Sony/MS getting exclusive content or some such though hey (regarding CoD, and likely Sony)?

Mikey Jr.

Oct 25, 2017
twitch video player is garbage. The whole ui of that site is garbage. I hate it.

Youtube is vastly superior.

ToadPacShakur

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an iPhone thing because the Android Twitch app has PiP but the youtube app doesn't.
Really? I'm on Android (Pixel 4XL) but PiP works on YouTube (I'm also a sucker that has YouTube Premium since i basically just watch game and tech stuff instead of Netflix and other services) but Twitch doesn't do it

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be curious to see what viewership looks like without token farmers.

I guess Twitch wasn't big enough.
An article came out recently claiming a high level twitch employee said that the 90 mil overwatch league deal was the worst mistake in the companies history... Don't think they were interested this go around if true.

RecRoulette

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, all of those OWL emotes I've gotten over the last 2 years are worthless now (not like I used any of them lol)

The good thing about this is that watching VODs should be a hell of a lot easier, which is absolutely necessary considering teams will be playing across the world at times and folks won't stay up to watch their team play at 3am

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Do I read that right? All of Blizzard esport?

I guess we can bury Starcraft 2 for good.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I think this is a big deal specially for OWL. Putting it on YouTube only makes it more accessible. That together with Homestands in different cities, with a franchise model that will have banners, ads with big names such as YouTube will only make the more casual viewer more likely to check things out.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I guess Twitch didn't want to pay $90 mil again, also considering the rumors of OWL stream being heavily boosted.

Don't think I'll tune in on Youtube TBH. I'll probably only end up watching VODs of a few teams.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Will you still be able to gain points in the game for watching the OWL on YouTube? Will they still be doing spray giveaways on Twitch when they do character events?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
all my xbox is used for these days is watching esports on twitch/yt. and it just so happens that the yt app on xbox seems to be complete fucking shit when it comes to streams. it constantly freezes the picture but continues with audio. if it doesnt do that, audio slowly starts to become out of sync.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Lol watch the OWL viewer count drop instantly. No in-game drops means no idle viewers at the very least.

No clips, no emotes, no drops, no twitch swag... Well, at least it's not Facebook Gaming amirite?

blue_phazon

Oct 25, 2017
Man this is a bummer, considering the OWL community is cemented in Twitch.

I cant help but think viewership is going to drop considerably

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like the beginning of the end for OWL. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see all those Twitch viewers moving to Youtube.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube Live has quite possibly the most unintuitive way of finding live feeds if your subs imaginable. Twitch has it right with the sub feed.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought YouTube Gaming died? Thought they ended their attempt at killing Twitch?

Delusibeta

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably a combination of things, given that this deal seems to cover all of ActiBlizz's esports efforts. That said, between the subsidized servers and actual cash, it would probably have been top bid already.

One thing it will do is expose how many of Overwatch League's viewership was idling for drops, since I don't think that's possible on YouTube.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I wonder how much of the audience will move over, and if Youtube will do the work to duplicate all the stuff that the All Access pass allowed and the whole drop system.

JaredG

May 17, 2018
Lol watch the OWL viewer count drop instantly. No in-game drops means no idle viewers at the very least.

No clips, no emotes, no drops, no twitch swag... Well, at least it's not Facebook Gaming amirite?
Yeah, if you can't get tokens anymore for just leaving the stream open in another tab then I think a huge chunk is gonna be gone.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably a combination of things, given that this deal seems to cover all of ActiBlizz's esports efforts. That said, between the subsidized servers and actual cash, it would probably have been top bid already.

One thing it will do is expose how many of Overwatch League's viewership was idling for drops, since I don't think that's possible on YouTube.
Youtube has drops support, not sure if they'll use it for OWL though.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i hope they still let viewers get tokens.

also, lul to the all access pass challenges that earned users a bunch of twitch emotes, only for the league to jump to a different platform the next year

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube seriously needs to rework their browsing for live streams. It's a disaster and I can't believe they haven't addressed it.