Xbox Game Studios |OT7| Discover Your Next Favorite OT

W.S.

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely possible but do we know for sure how long the game has been in development? And a trailer could be anything sadly, it could be a CG trailer, could consist of cutscenes, not necessarily gameplay. But I am hoping they will show a bit of gameplay.

I want my jaw to be dropped like how it always drops when Sony shows something like Horizon or Uncharted 4 years ago. The only way to do that is with gameplay. CGI does nothing.
Just approximating it but I believe it would be about 2 or 2 1/2 years by this point.

I think at this stage they should have enough material to show off a teaser at E3, maybe very brief snippets of WIP gameplay following either a CG trailer or in engine cinematics.

Last edited:

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Interesting. That would be pretty incredible if a team so small had 4 projects in some stage of production. Are you still maintaining your XGS spreadsheet of potential in development projects? I thoroughly enjoyed reading that!
It needs to be updated, for sure, but I'll probably wait until after E3. A lot of the information on there can't really be fact-checked or substantiated until we have more info. We don't know much about the new games that have been announced, no one has released a game since I wrote it, but we'll have a ton more information after E3 and a few of the upcoming XGS games release (I'm particularly excited to check out the Psychonauts 2 credits to see who did and didn't work on the game.).

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
It needs to be updated, for sure, but I'll probably wait until after E3. A lot of the information on there can't really be fact-checked or substantiated until we have more info. We don't know much about the new games that have been announced, no one has released a game since I wrote it, but we'll have a ton more information after E3 and a few of the upcoming XGS games release (I'm particularly excited to check out the Psychonauts 2 credits to see who did and didn't work on the game.).

It must have 10-12 people who are on another project at Double fine.

The whole studio is focused on Psychonauts.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018

Pretty sure they have two other projects in the works. I think they pulled most of the RAD team onto Psychonauts 2, but a small group moved onto pre-production on Petty's next project. I am pretty sure they have another project in the works (which was likely impacted by Psychonauts 2, but we have no way of knowing how ).

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It would be weird for Playground to not show anything of their RPG game considering Phil teased it at E3 2018.

I'd expect a trailer for it at the least.
I can't remember exactly, but wasn't the mention of Playgrounds RPG at E3 that year, or sometime around then, followed by something like "it's still a long way away" or "don't expect to see it anytime soon"?

I don't expect them to have any polished gameplay ready to show this year, maybe they'll be able to muster up an in engine trailer, but I'm not expecting it. I don't reckon they'd show gameplay before it was polished, since it's bitten Xbox a few times and at this stage they have enough games in development that they don't strictly have to.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
I can't remember exactly, but wasn't the mention of Playgrounds RPG at E3 that year, or sometime around then, followed by something like "it's still a long way away" or "don't expect to see it anytime soon"?

I don't expect them to have any polished gameplay ready to show this year, maybe they'll be able to muster up an in engine trailer, but I'm not expecting it. I don't reckon they'd show gameplay before it was polished, since it's bitten Xbox a few times and at this stage they have enough games in development that they don't strictly have to.
Safe prediction is a Fable teaser to close off the show, which is pretty good imo.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Shinobi said it was very far along, I'm expecting gameplay and probably a release year/rough date.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Pretty sure they have two other projects in the works. I think they pulled most of the RAD team onto Psychonauts 2, but a small group moved onto pre-production on Petty's next project. I am pretty sure they have another project in the works (which was likely impacted by Psychonauts 2, but we have no way of knowing how ).
They do. They’ve already announced it, of sorts.

Granjinha

Oct 25, 2017

It's not. They have a multiplayer project in the works and i'm pretty sure Lee Petty isn't working on Psychonauts 2.

They were hiring a network programmer for an unnanounced multiplayer project so yeah, if i had to guess, i would say that they are working on Psychonauts 2, Lee Petty's new project and this MP project.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
It's not. They have a multiplayer project in the works and i'm pretty sure Lee Petty isn't working on Psychonauts 2.

They were hiring a network programmer for an unnanounced multiplayer project so yeah, if i had to guess, i would say that they are working on Psychonauts 2, Lee Petty's new project and this MP project.
2 teams I think.

1 directed by Schafer

1 by Lee Petty.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
They do. They’ve already announced it, of sorts.

They're actually not making Samurai Gunn 2, they're just publishing it. It's actually being made by a studio called Teknopants.

I think you're pretty much spot-on here, except I think that Lee Petty's project is the multiplayer game. Just a guess.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any news on the state of Age of Empires 4 for Xbox? Last thing I heard is they want to finish the PC version and then see how it goes.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
So the newest rumours have the Ps5 being more powerful?
If you're talking about the 4chan rumors with the updated dev kits, meh. PS5 had a marginally more powerful GPU, slightly more RAM, and a faster hard drive, but the Series X had a larger hard drive and a somewhat better CPU. I think those were the major points, I looked at this morning, so I might be missing something. As far as I remember they were really close, like the difference between overclocked and not overclocked almost.

Basically, if it's true, what it comes down to is what a lot of us have been saying for ages, they're so close and at such a high level it's barely gonna matter. That's if it's true I guess, who knows. It's believable enough I guess, only thing that made me take a second look was that the PS5 had 18 gigs of RAM, which is kind of a weird number, but not an impossible one. Big if of course, 4chan and that.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Series X is more powerful.

Lot of Qualcomm Sr HW engineer join Microsoft for Hololens,Xbox and Quantum computing chips.

Microsoft don't laugh on the hardware level.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
If you're talking about the 4chan rumors with the updated dev kits, meh. PS5 had a marginally more powerful GPU, slightly more RAM, and a faster hard drive, but the Series X had a larger hard drive and a somewhat better CPU. I think those were the major points, I looked at this morning, so I might be missing something. As far as I remember they were really close, like the difference between overclocked and not overclocked almost.

Basically, if it's true, what it comes down to is what a lot of us have been saying for ages, they're so close and at such a high level it's barely gonna matter. That's if it's true I guess, who knows. It's believable enough I guess, only thing that made me take a second look was that the PS5 had 18 gigs of RAM, which is kind of a weird number, but not an impossible one. Big if of course, 4chan and that.
For me, the biggest problem of these "PS5 more powerful" rumors are why everytime it comes with different way of more powerful lol, it's like Sony manufactured 20 different versions of PS5.
Ty gents, didn't realize it was from 4chan.

Kolbe1894 I find it quite humorous as well. Narrative ranges from power doesn't matter, to Ps5 inevitably being stronger. Either way some people will not accept the fact that the PS5 possibly being weaker.

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Why couldn’t Gears get some Nerf crossover. I want a plastic Gnasher.

(I used the Nerf Longshot in Gears 4 for a good 6 months)

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
Was playing around on game pass today and saw Wargroove was available. I’d completely missed this so got straight into it. Great fun. I really think it’s the type of game that would be perfect on xcloud. It’s turned based so latency isn’t an issue.

I think Chucklefish would be a good studio for Microsoft to work with. Considering the success of Stardew Valley I doubt they would be acquired, but they’d be an interesting studio to partner with

W.S.

Oct 28, 2017

Would be cool to see Double Fine make sequels to Iron Brigade & Brutal Legend.

Iron Brigade was a super fun tower defense game that could have an even better sequel and seeing Jack Black do voicework for Pyschonauts 2 gives me some possible vibes that they may talk about doing another Brutal Legend together.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

Iron Brigade was a super fun tower defense game that could have an even better sequel and seeing Jack Black do voicework for Pyschonauts 2 gives me some possible vibes that they may talk about doing another Brutal Legend together.
I would totally be down for a tower defense game with some budget behind it. Would be another unique notch in XGS' genre belt.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Banned for saying something console warrior-y in the next gen thread. He had a /s in a spoiler tag but that’s a dangerous game regardless. Especially if the poster has a history and they are posting in a thread where people are heavy on the report button.
Most of the pros couch their console fanboying in concern trolling language instead. Or carefully sculpted skepticism of any and all "leaks", in favour of their chosen piece of consumer electronics being betterer. It's actually sort-of amusing to watch the battle of subtext that goes on in that thread.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I'd love to see another Brutal Legend (that focused more on the adventure stuff, and less on the clunky RTS stuff), but lets not forget that the original game was a pretty big commercial flop for them. Even if they wanted to make it, it's not a sure thing that Microsoft would want to bankroll it, unless the budget was cut back.

I'd love a sequel to Iron Brigade aka Trenched. But with Brad Muir at Valve now, is there an internal champion to push that idea along?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
No CGI bullshit please, for new consoles you need to show real gameplay with impressive graphics.
Much like with the initial Gears 5 reveal, I'll bet you any money that the Halo trailer we saw at E3 2019 is 100% representative of what the cutscenes in that game will look like, running in real-time - not prerendered CG. Gameplay is better though, obviously.

There'll definitely be gameplay of Halo Infinite at E3. I also think in-game footage of the new Fable is probably a decent bet, considering that game's development was first leaked about two years ago. If the new Forza is ready for 2020, that'll also be gameplay no doubt.

Beyond that, who knows. The Initiative's project is probably too early to do more than announce with MAYBE a cinematic trailer. There's other studios with more than one iron in the fire, but we have no idea what those irons are, or how far long they are.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Most of the pros couch their console fanboying in concern trolling language instead. Or carefully sculpted skepticism of any and all "leaks", in favour of their chosen piece of consumer electronics being betterer. It's actually sort-of amusing to watch the battle of subtext that goes on in that thread.
As someone who lurked here from day one, relative to my account age, it’s pretty obvious that there are ways of manipulating moderation on era. Concern trolling is one. Finding a poster and “picking at them” with other members until things get heated then mass reporting works. Mass reporting in general is very effective. Tag teaming to spread violations over a large pool of posters works. Going big or stying home... shit up a thread so bad with a dozen other posters that it gets locked effectively shuts down the conversation but rarely results in significant moderation.

I think the trends are pretty obvious personally. but I think era is generally scared of driving traffic back to the old forum and struggles to deal with posters who find ways to exist right on the line or in grey areas.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
As someone who lurked here from day one, relative to my account age, it’s pretty obvious that there are ways of manipulating moderation on era. Concern trolling is one. Finding a poster and “picking at them” with other members until things get heated then mass reporting works. Mass reporting in general is very effective. Tag teaming to spread violations over a large pool of posters works. Going big or stying home... shit up a thread so bad with a dozen other posters that it gets locked effectively shuts down the conversation but rarely results in significant moderation.

I think the trends are pretty obvious personally. but I think era is generally scared of driving traffic back to the old forum and struggles to deal with posters who find ways to exist right on the line or in grey areas.
This sums it up pretty well.

I have to chuckle sometimes when I see a user who’s been banned several times for console warring come back and avoid certain threads and suddenly have much milder opinions because they obviously have been informed the next ban would be a perm.