Would you stream for a living?

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, if a living was actually possible, and I didn't have to sell a very different version of myself to people.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I have more fun streaming than I do at my day job, so sure. Reaching my current salary through streaming seems...unlikely, however.

thaquoth

Oct 28, 2017
Much of the enjoyment I derive from streaming has to do with it not being my living. I think I'd like to keep it that way.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
if it was a thing when i was younger and could have had the time to dedicate to it, yeah i would. i spent all day playing video games back then anyway.

Henri Desu

Feb 10, 2018
I have tried to. I have around 2,000 followers, have had around 100 people watching me play, enjoyed playing with viewers (smash bros)

But yeah, as others said, it IS a full time job, and you start to understand that you don't play a game because you enjoy it, but because it brings viewers / interaction / money

So I stopped

DrBorisGoltz

Oct 27, 2017
If I could stream whatever I want and didn't have to do it for 8 hours a day I would absolutely stream for a living. Though it's significantly harder than one would think.

Papercuts

Oct 25, 2017
Only if I could be variety and jump around to all the new releases and stuff. I don't really envy the people that are forced to put more than 40 hours a week into specific games, that shit would burn you out SUPER fast no matter how much you liked the core game before.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
Pacifica, CA
I'm not so sure that I could keep an audience. I'm not energetic or lively enough. That said, if the audience and a decent living were guaranteed, then I could definitely see myself being able to stream regularly. Honestly, I think it'd encourage me to try more new games, as I think first impressions of games can be really entertaining.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Only if I could somehow be successful just being myself and playing what I want. I don't have the personality for it in reality though.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
If I could sustain myself from the get-go, yes. The biggest barrier for me is building an audience and my dwindling free time.

shark97

Nov 7, 2017
If I could make decent money, absolutely.

I guess the lack of human contact and "going outside" could be a problem, but hey I'm already fairly much a loner etc. Besides chat, etc, still counts as human contact.

I guess honestly in my case it could be a problem being inside and isolated so much since I tend to that anyway. For the right money it'd be worth it I guess? I think I'd gain a lot of weight too though...but again, the bottom line is usually money.

But like everybody else said this is a theoretical exercise. I've made a few youtubes, and I dont speak well enough or have enough personality for it. I'm in awe of people like Maximilian.

Dennis8K

Oct 25, 2017
Game streamers are mostly unwatchable trash.

That being said, support my Patreon. Posting on Era doesn't pay itself you know.

Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Game streamers are mostly unwatchable trash.

That being said, support my Patreon. Posting on Era doesn't pay itself you know.
The highest tier better be good because I’m gonna take it. I hope it includes an exclusive Dennis8K figurine.

Nah, I don’t like people watching me IRL let alone online.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No, my gaming habits don’t seem to coincide with what stream viewers want. I’m not consistent enough in any genre or particular title to have skill and insight enough to entertain an audience.

If I had a career in streaming, it would be basically a series of Giant Bomb Quick Looks that happened only once or twice a month and maybe 1 or 2 Giant Bomb endurance runs per year for the few games that hold me from start to finish. Then occasionally just me inexplicably returning to a game I haven’t touched in months to play for an hour or two at inconsistent intervals.

And I don’t feel like I could change my habits to play games for an audience full-time. I like being a passive audience member of some of the streamers that kinda match my taste in games, but even as an audience member, I hate most of the active audience members in stream chats and being a successful streamer seems to require interacting with that crowd. There’s issues with getting burnt out on playing games, being psychologically ragged down by my incompatibility with interacting with chat, and just plain not devoting myself to any particular title long enough to have a skill level that’s entertaining and presentable to an audience.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like people only see "playing video games" and not the whole "opening your life up to other people on the internet for scrutiny and exploitation" aspect. Heck no. Especially if you need to chase the popular game and work long hours stressing about your numbers dropping.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
If it became my job (so get enough for living) and i can choose what to play, why not?
But there will be conditions like in my actual job.
8h for 5 days a week, holidays and vacation available, etc...

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even really like to play a game on a schedule, and sometimes I go days without playing 1 hour.

I was asked to play through Resident Evil Code Veronica when it came out, because a friend couldn't beat it and I was known for being pretty good at games. That was one of the worst gaming experiences of my life, most likely because I had to finish it due to peer pressure. Cake is good, but having to eat a whole cake because you got a piece without asking as a kid is horrible.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
if I played Starcraft 2 everyday, or was a skilled speedrunner, I would.

I wouldn't be a variety streamer though.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Absolutely not. It sounds like a nightmare.
On the surface it probably sounds like a dream for many people but it's not just play vidjy gamses for a living. Most big streamers work a lot more than regular job hours. It basically take over their entire lives.
I play games for my own enjoyment, not to entertain others or earn a living.
And I absolutely don't have any wish to be famous whatsoever.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I'd hate gaming. That and I can't imagine someone trying to stream for a living until retirement age

Old Nick

Oct 28, 2017
No. It seems like a lot of hard work playing the same games over and over with a different slant. If I could set the agenda and play the games I want, when I want, then yeah who wouldn't want to play their hobby for a living.

Ojli

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe. I don't want to play actually good games for streaming. I want the good games for myself in my free time. Could play through only old, semi-bad games

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
If I could stream whatever the heck I wanted and retain a sizeable enough audience to make a living, yeah.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Sure but I would not be very interesting person to watch. If I had to act like your average streamer then no.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
If i could make a little bit of money streaming for a couple of hours every other day....yes, but i couldn't put in the hours to one game that some streamers put in to get regular viewers.

The thought of playing even my favorite game for 8+ hours a day, every day sounds like torture.

Iv'e been told by friends before that i should do streaming, i'm really vocal and passionate when i play games.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
No way. The amount of hours these streamers put in, not just streaming but have to edit their video afterwards for further upload, no vacation, no days off is not appealing.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I've occasionally wondered about this; I think I *would*, if I could do it on my terms (and in doing so, that means assuming my terms are interesting enough to the masses to give me a living wage, of course!); I do *love* talking about games and discovering new stuff, but I'd absolutely go for esoterica; I've got a fondness for educational software from the 80s and 90s, and could probably ramble on a fair bit about some of the more obscure 8-bit home computer games; there's a whole world of unsung titles I'd love to waffle on about, some quite *remarkably* bizarre.

It's the quantity of content that would have to be produced that is off-putting, of course, which is why I stuck the caveat of 'on my terms' in there; Maybe I'd be more suited to a Youtube-scale content producer if I *was* to do that.

(And on top of it all, this is making the massive assumption that I would be interesting enough to be engaging off-the-cuff, and that too is extremely unlikely; I tend to work better with the written word where I can plan and rewrite over time.)

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
For fun? Yeah, for sure. For a living? Absolutely not. It'd make gaming an obligation and it could ruin the hobby for me.

RiggyRob

Oct 26, 2017
If you had the opportunity, would you do it?, I don’t think I could, it would probably make me hate gaming eventually.
Slowly attempting to grind our way there 😅 If I could do variety and it supported our household, I think I definitely would - I think there’s enough different types of games and new games released on a regular enough basis that it would never feel like you’d be stuck in a rut.

I think the idea that it would make gaming an obligation is a bit overblown - you can separate games that you want to play in your own time from the games that you stream, and it wouldn’t feel like forcing yourself more than working any other job does.

When it gets rough is the feeling of always having to be online, chasing the followers and subs to be top-tier, and also being stuck in a niche without being able to try new things, but if you can make enough for a living sticking to a regular schedule, that’d be enough for me.

Plus you can always shake things up in new ways - art/creative streams, podcasting, coding, video/content creation, party games and board games, Q&A sessions, reaction videos - there’s something for all types of viewers.