Why women criticise sexualised character designs |OT2| I have no pants and I must scream (READ OP)

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
So much for inclusiveness

Some mods I thought were good people have dashed my opinion of them.

Kilrogg

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Hey thanks for mentioning the whole KetKat situation in this thread. I mostly refresh a few threads and stay in that bubble, so I was completely unaware of the whole thing until seeing it here in this thread just now.

Edit: Coming back to this post in the morning and reading some more of the big thread about it. I saw some mentions about how some era communities have their own discords they mostly stick to instead of using the forums a lot of the time.
Are there good safe space gaming discords that are like this thread, intended for women. Similarly, good gay ones?

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Hey just wondering, does it feel to anyone like there's been a tendency with older female characters to list their stated age as "unknown" when they absolutely can't be stated to have improbably young ages due to their stated background? I was just thinking of this after seeing the new Sakura Wars character who's stated to be an old friend of Sakura's father, but her profile also goes out of its way to say that her age is unknown.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Hey just wondering, does it feel to anyone like there's been a tendency with older female characters to list their stated age as "unknown" when they absolutely can't be stated to have improbably young ages due to their stated background? I was just thinking of this after seeing the new Sakura Wars character who's stated to be an old friend of Sakura's father, but her profile also goes out of its way to say that her age is unknown.
This is certainly a thing going the other way, being ambiguous about a characters age so that people can sexualize them and pretend they aren't pedophiles. I hadn't noticed it the way you are pointing out before though, I'll have to keep a look out for it.

Does this character in question actually look the age she probably is, or is this another case of impossibly young looking for their supposed age as well?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
This is certainly a thing going the other way, being ambiguous about a characters age so that people can sexualize them and pretend they aren't pedophiles. I hadn't noticed it the way you are pointing out before though, I'll have to keep a look out for it.

Does this character in question actually look the age she probably is, or is this another case of impossibly young looking for their supposed age as well?
She looks like this:

Maxina

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Well, she’s voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro, if that’ll help you with determining if she looks her age.

Maxina

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not familiar with that actress by name. Probably one of those voices I've heard a billion times without realizing it I'm guessing?
She has quite a range in voice acting for countless anime and video games so yeah you’re right. She’s mostly been known for her roles in “older/mature” women. She voiced Camilla from FE:Fates just as an example.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
ys viii does this a lot.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I apologize for bringing up Honkai Impact 3rd a lot, but that game actually somehow does both approaches to the "unknown age" trope:

Fu Hua over here who looks like a high-schooler and is her class's class president

has her age listed as Unknown because of her convoluted backstory that somehow causes her real age to be over 54000 years old,
While Theresa over here who's somehow the principal of Fu Hua's school has her age listed as Unknown for obvious reasons

(she's supposed to be a defective clone who couldn't mature past the physical state of a 12 year old)
I know some of you guys would just dismiss this game as gacha trash, but like it actually used to mean a lot to me before I realized how pedophilic the devs are 😥, so again please forgive me for bringing this game up

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I'll say Pokemon is one of the best JRPG series with regards to representation. It's not a high bar, and I know some people don't regard them as JRPGs, but it's one of the reasons why I continue to like the series.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So now that the trailer and title are out, we have a high profile game releasing in 2020 with a woman as the main character, who is voiced by

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Hey so this comic from a popular gacha game full of questionable character designs is about pretty much exactly the issue you described:
They play the issue for laughs, essentially saying no of course this older woman with her age listed as "unknown" can't actually be considered underage, it's just an older woman who worries too much about her age.

Shining Star

May 14, 2019
It's a "girls don't like revealing their age because being old is bad" thing. Also, she looks pretty cool.

Twinsun

Nov 2, 2017
There was a playable black woman in Left 4 Dead 2. Though she was just 1 of 4.

Oh and Aveline from AC: Liberation is black.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
Nilin from Remember Me!
Was thinking of this but didn't know if Dontnod would count as AAA. But it was published by Capcom so maybe it does.

Thanks forgot about that, still have to play that one. Does it also have the heart, which shows you all the collectables? The main reason, why I am still not done with Dishonored 2.
I haven't played it yet, bought it last month for £5 and am saving it for the end of the year, since Dishonored 2 was what I was playing at the end of last year/beginning of this year. Although narrative-wise I don't know why she would have the heart, maybe there's an alternative item that does the same thing?

Brian Damage

Nov 1, 2017
UK
Thanks forgot about that, still have to play that one. Does it also have the heart, which shows you all the collectables? The main reason, why I am still not done with Dishonored 2.
She doesn't but there are no runes, only bone charms (which she can also craft). I don't think her Dark Vision-equivalent ability reveals their locations, like it does for Daud.