Who did the most damage of the last 6 Republican Presidents?

Who did the most damage of the last 6 Republican Presidents?

• Richard Nixon

Votes: 72 2.8%
  • Gerald Ford

Votes: 8 0.3%
  • Ronald Reagan

Votes: 991 38.4%
  • George H.W. Bush

Votes: 23 0.9%
  • George W. Bush

Votes: 661 25.6%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 827 32.0%

• Total voters

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
In 20 years, if we're even allowed to still criticize Trump online, it will be him no question. The judges alone will fuck US policy for the next several decades, and his reversal of any climate action means there's no chance of us meeting the limits we need to avoid catastrophe.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
People voting for Trump probably don't realize how bad some of the others were. Nixon cared about the USA, sorta, in his own asshole-ish way. But at the same time we now know he was literally a traitor who sabotaged the Vietnam peace talks, causing many (American) deaths purely for electoral gain. Ford was a spineless enabler who let Nixon get away with this and more. Starting from the Reagan era it was all a cash grab for the ultra-rich, fuck everyone else, especially foreigners. George HW Bush continued this, he also knew all about the Iran Contra affair and much of the other horrible stuff, he practically ran it all while Reagan's brain was turning to mush. His boy GWB continued the plunder, but added even more corruption and wars to the mix.

Jail is too good for those people. All of them. They sold out their country and those they publicly called allies for personal gain.

Trump is bad too, but nowhere near as destructive in the short term. Fortunately he's amazingly dumb and can't effectively use his power. He's a grifter who is way in over his head, he services the GOP while dodging his debtors. That said, the long-term repercussions of his appointed judges and dismantling of vital public services remains to be seen.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
People voting for Trump over Bush? You guys so young. The Iraq War was a million times worse than anything Trump has ever done.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
GWB. We're gonna be in the Middle East for the next 100 years or more and it will eat this country alive.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Every election since 2008 still brings up who voted for the Iraq War. Reagan is a legitimate pick, but siding with Bush has given politicians their very own scarlet letter.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I voted Nixon, but honestly it’s a tossup between Nixon, Reagan, and W.

Trump is shit but more in an “The emperor has no clothes” sort of way.

edit: actually, fuck it, this is too hard. Daddy Bush, Nixon, W, Reagan are all one big steaming pile of shit, and Trump is the cherry on top.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, Republicans are kind of incredible. Like, where do they find these guys. Anyway it’s W, though there was a lot more malice in the three others.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Trump easily, Regan was the fucking president of the United States, he was well liked, trump has been protested since his first day in office and created an unfixable divide in this country

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Trump easily, Regan was the fucking president of the United States, he was well liked, trump has been protested since his first day in office and created an unfixable divide in this country
????

If you go by that logic Trump is well liked too.

I can't believe someone angry at Trump would give Reagan a pass as being "well liked".

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
GWB deteriorated American freedoms, furthered corruption and croneyism in our government, damaged our standing internationally, and killed many, many people.

Trump is a treasonous criminal who has actively destroyed our relationships with our closest allies, freely handing away our influence in places like the Pacific to the Russian-Chinese bloc, has weakned our military advantages, has actively torn apart our professional beauracracy to the detriment of all of us, corrupted the supreme court, personally enriched himself and his family by abusing the office of president to force foreign nations to grant him personal favors, handed classified intelligence to the Russians, attempted to undermine and damage our national and international intelligence network, is probably a money launderer to the mob if not participated in human trafficking through cash-only deals via his seedy real estate properties, brags about sexually assaulting women, is a rapist and who-knows-what-else, is a racist whose rhetoric has damaged the lives of countless minorities in the USA as well as led to numerous assaults and contributed to white terrorism, has invited anyone and everyone to destroy the democratic processes in our nation, has set dangerous legal precedents for the use of presidential executive powers, is literally a criminal consorting with literal criminals, and on and on and on. Oh, I forgot he's literally a nazi wanna-be fascist who had Hitler's speeches at bedside and toadies up to dictators like Putin and Erdogan and Kim Jong-un and his authoritarian rhetoric has damaged our national character and dialogue and emboldened other authoritarian regimes.

GWB's follies were terrible and required 8 years of correction by the Obama administration to bring the USA back to its position as moral and political leader of the world.

Trump has handed our influence away freely and has damaged the infrastructure of our nation to make himself rich and it will take far longer to repair the damage he's done.

Bush killed more people outright due to hubris. Trump has done more insidious and possibly longer reaching evils due to being a horrible piece of garbage.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Being well-liked isn’t a mark of quality. W was well liked when he fucking brought us into Iraq. Again.

Reagan continued Nixon’s tradition of paving the way for later shit.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Internationally, George W. Bush

Domestically, Donald Trump

I voted Trump. He's a loose cannon unlike anything we have ever had in the White House. As bad as Bush was, I can't even imagine what a response to 9/11 would be like with Trump in charge.

rickyson33

Nov 23, 2017
I don't think we can really compare Trump to these other guys with already mostly settled legacies

maybe Trumps ends up being "just" stuff like the judges and damage to climate change efforts or maybe it's literally the beginning of the end of the country

I don't think we can know for quite a while yet,will probably have to wait and see what happens with the next "trump" at the very least

Rocket Man

Oct 25, 2017
Reagan pretty much started the massive wealth transfer to the rich, causing so many of the fucked up problems we see today.

I gotta give it to Bush though, who literally went on a crusade mission in the Middle East, causing the pain and suffering of millions and millions of people, as well as creating a situation where a massive regional war can break out at moments notice. His regime was filled with corrupt bloodthirsty animals who needed to be tried for war crimes yesterday.

Trump is only 3 years in, who knows how badly his incompetence affects the world in a decade. He's taking a chainsaw to America's soft power. His presidency will certainly be seen as an inflection point for American leadership and influence around the world, as well as a shit stain of the abuse of social and news media.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
How Reagan responded to the AIDS crisis horrifies me. Without a doubt the worst domestically.

Internationally, I guess it's just a matter of who has the highest body count. I can't bring myself to look those numbers up.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
bush 43 no question (in my mind, if you want to go all historical wonk on me go ahead). he made cynicism a mainstay in politics and it's the bloodtrail that leads to trump

he lied to a country to go to war and 50% of the country thought nbd. let that sink in

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Being well-liked isn’t a mark of quality. W was well liked when he fucking brought us into Iraq. Again.

Reagan continued Nixon’s tradition of paving the way for later shit.
Yeah being well liked might not mean much here on this site, but it matters to the voting public. I think people keep forgetting that personality matters more than policies at times to large chunks of people.

Trump did the most damage surface level, and that's what people who don't live and breathe politics will remember more. Going back to Iraq? After 9/11? Wasn't all that surprising at all and was a given. We got attacked and we were going to lash out at someone. Looking back were they right choice? Probaby not but we weren't going to just get attacked the way we did and do nothing.

Eeyore

Dec 13, 2019
Reagan didn't attend the funeral of one of his friends, because his friend was gay.
Reagan presided over the onset of the HIV crisis in the world and did nothing because it was the "gay disease."

He was a hateful bigot but sure he has some witty remarks in debates and told someone to tear down a wall.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
From a global perspective - Bush destroyed the global economy, left the middle east in flames, stuffed up Hurricane Katrina, held back the cause of LGBTIQ+ rights and advanced the cause of climate skepticism. I can't think of a single president who did more damage in just about every policy area.

From an Australian perspective, Trump has probably done more damage to our bilateral relations through his moronic trade war with China and revival of racism.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think people will say GWB, which is a very good pick, but also because that's when a lot of us became politically aware, judging from the demo of this forum. Reagan was pretty fucking bad and was the start of a lot of the worst qualities of the republicans.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
This is precisely why Reagan was the worst. Reagan was a poison that is still eating away at America to this very day, decades later. One of the most consequential, in almost exclusively negative ways, of all presidents.

Trump could potentially usurp the title, especially with a second term, but for now it remains clearly Reagan. You don't even get President Donald Trump without C-list actor Ronald Reagan paving the way for him. A bigoted coastal elite with rapidly decaying mental faculties who nevertheless connects with heartland Americans on a fundamental emotional level.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Reagan didn't attend the funeral of one of his friends, because his friend was gay.
Reagan presided over the onset of the HIV crisis in the world and did nothing because it was the "gay disease."

He was a hateful bigot but sure he has some witty remarks in debates and told someone to tear down a wall.
Yes looking from today's perspective that's bad but given the public's perception of the gay community back then it's not at all surprising of his actions.

As opposed to this idiot

Who I feel like can say anything about a minority group at a moments notice that can cause immediate violence somewhere in this country because people feel like he is co-signing it?

I will always think that's more damaging than not attending a funeral.

Eeyore

Dec 13, 2019
Yes looking from today's perspective that's bad but given the public's perception of the gay community back then it's not at all surprising of his actions.

As opposed to this idiot

Who I feel like can say anything about a minority group at a moments notice that can cause immediate violence somewhere in this country because people feel like he is co-signing it?

I will always think that's more damaging than not attending a funeral.
That's because you're being reductive and ignorant.

Reagan let thousands upon thousands of people die by not recognizing nor doing anything with the HIV crisis. You saying it's just a funeral when I was giving an example of how he treated even his friends, is irritating.

Do you know who started the motto "Make America Great Again"? Ronald Reagan. In many ways, Trumpism is just a continuation of Reaganism with more overt language. It's the same shit.

Edit: To be clear, any of the people in the poll are/were horrible people, I'm not disputing the validity of any of them being the worst, just more your attempts at whitewashing Reagan because he was well--liked. That's why I'm reacting so strongly.

Last edited:

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
From a global perspective - Bush destroyed the global economy, left the middle east in flames, stuffed up Hurricane Katrina, held back the cause of LGBTIQ+ rights and advanced the cause of climate skepticism. I can't think of a single president who did more damage in just about every policy area.

From an Australian perspective, Trump has probably done more damage to our bilateral relations through his moronic trade war with China and revival of racism.
Reagan sets the stage for most of these too. Reagan is the one who armed and consolidated power in Saddam Hussein. Ditto for Al Qaeda. He sold arms to Iran in order to support a right wing coup in Nicaragua. America's deep ties to the fundamentalist Saudi regime really began in 1981 under Reagan. He deliberately let the AIDS pandemic ravage the LGBT community. Reagan also marked the beginning of a Republican reversal on environmental policy, as they had actually been fairly environmentally friendly by the standards of the day prior to this point, with Nixon even helping to create the EPA, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and the Endangered Species Act.

You want to talk about racism? There are audio recordings of Reagan referring to diplomats from African countries as "monkeys" who are "still uncomfortable wearing shoes."

And unlike Trump, Reagan made all of this seem presidential and dignified.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That's because you're being reductive and ignorant.

Reagan let thousands upon thousands of people die by not recognizing nor doing anything with the HIV crisis. You saying it's just a funeral when I was giving an example of how he treated even his friends, is irritating.

Do you know who started the motto "Make America Great Again"? Ronald Reagan. In many ways, Trumpism is just a continuation of Reaganism with more overt language. It's the same shit.

Edit: To be clear, any of the people in the poll are/were horrible people, I'm not disputing the validity of any of them being the worst, just more your attempts at whitewashing Reagan because he was well--liked. That's why I'm reacting so strongly.
Regan we are looking at from today's perspective and saying "wow yeah he was bad"

We don't need to travel to the future to look back and see if trump is bad. We see he is bad right now So for someone to be this horrible right now in the present, looking back on him 20 years from now he will be viewed as the absolute worst president in US history that did the most damage. The end.

Eeyore

Dec 13, 2019
Regan we are looking at from today's perspective and saying "wow yeah he was bad"

We don't need to travel to the future to look back and see if trump is bad. We see he is bad right now So for someone to be this horrible right now in the present, looking back on him 20 years from now he will be viewed as the absolute worst president in US history that did the most damage. The end.
One can argue many things. If one looked at loss of life based on decisions solely in a president's control, someone like Dubya would be up there. If one looked at screwing up the future of this country through letting traitors off without much punishment, Andrew Johnson would be up there. If one looked at virulent racism, someone like Andrew Jackson would be up there.

I truly think this logic is based on the fact that you're just plain older than you were and more politically involved than when Reagan was president. Or maybe you weren't even alive then.

Again think what you want, but Reagan was a joke when he was in office.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
One can argue many things. If one looked at loss of life based on decisions solely in a president's control, someone like Dubya would be up there. If one looked at screwing up the future of this country through letting traitors off without much punishment, Andrew Johnson would be up there. If one looked at virulent racism, someone like Andrew Jackson would be up there.

I truly think this logic is based on the fact that you're just plain older than you were and more politically involved than when Reagan was president. Or maybe you weren't even alive then.

Again think what you want, but Reagan was a joke when he was in office.
Regan was the first president I remeber

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's good ol Ronnie & his admin's failures are still felt today, hell a large part of Joker is Reagan's health care cuts & sick people not being able to get help, i wish more people noticed that instead of pretending it was some far right movie (the directors comments about leftist critics didn't help though)
If Trump gets a second term it will probably be him, since i would expect the supreme court would get 2 new right wingers, a depressing thought.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's gotta be Reagan. He fundamentally fucked the very fabric of this country, more than W or Trump could even dream of.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think least damaging would be more interesting. H Bush probably wins that. Being 1 term and a step back from Reganism helps.

Reagan is the root of the modern Republicans. His legacy is what the GOP is now.

So he's the one to blame. He's the worst. The rest wouldn't have even gotten anywhere without how fundamentally Reagan changed America
The irony with Reagan is that, despite them bringing up his ghost as justification of their views and him being shit on several leves, he'd be chased out of the party as a RINO if he were here today, his immigration policy alone would get him exiled. But, yeah, he's definitely what started the pubs on their current tilt domestically.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GWB essentially destabilised an entire region for decades to come, wreaking unmitigated havoc and destruction which simultaneously led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people, and years of deadly ramifications the world over. All of this was justified based on fabrications, lies, false intelligence, propaganda and potential illegal merit.

I cannot fathom how the others supercede that.

Kain

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to top what the combo Reagan-Thatcher did for world economy in the West. Long story short: they fucked us for decades and I think it will be impossible to revert most of the fuckery they enabled.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How about another question. Let's say you had to pick between Trump, Reagan, and W. Bush to be President in 2020. Who would you pick?

TBH, I'm not sure. W. would likely get us into war with Iran, Trump makes the worst of any situation he's given, Reagan at least wasn't as bad as the other two on immigration but is just as shit if not more so on LGBT rights.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How about another question. Let's say you had to pick between Trump, Reagan, and W. Bush to be President in 2020. Who would you pick?
Or another way, you can go back in time and ensure one of those never becomes president.

Given the choice, I choose Bush and save the lives of hundreds of thousands of innocent people, and save an entire region the instability, death and destruction of a kind most of us here in the West could barely fathom.

Oct 25, 2017
Reagan diseased this country on taxes for an entire century, essentially blockading any transformative progressive legislation from occurring for a very long time. Fuck him and his grave.

Last edited: