• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

What morally wrong things do you do?

fanboi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm talking about reoccuring things where you see yourself being morally wrong.

My things would be:

Current:
  • Over consumption/wasteful
  • Meat eater
  • Have two SUVs
  • Can be prejudice about certain things, like "That person is a racist", just by looks which I am working hard on!
  • Have kids (?)
  • Drive to much instead of using the bike when I can
Over consumption I am trying to cut down as far as I can. Meat eater... trying to get better as well, both kids are vegetarians though.

Will think more and get back.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Turn a blind eye to people's bad situations if i deem that it will cause me stress*

*Unless someone's life is in danger

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Are you working in a military task force that handle operations that is 100% guranteed to only be terrorist of some sort? You are fine!
I could argue that killing in any case is excessive. Presumably we'd just want terrorists to stop their terrorist activities, which could be accomplished through capture and detention instead

OP
OP
fanboi

fanboi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think Kant says it's immoral to harm yourself.

I don't think so though. Surely I'm the only one that can harm me morally.
Hm, this is intresting, would comitt suicide be morally wrong?

I could argue that killing in any case is excessive. Presumably we'd just want terrorists to stop their terrorist activities, which could be accomplished through capture and detention instead
But then we try to force our morals on them right? Would that be morally right or wrong? Haha.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I eat meat. That's the big one, for me, I think. I contribute to a lot of suffering that I don't feel I can defend.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I’m pathologically averse to anything resembling forgiveness and will hold a petty grudge for infinity. Is that a moral failing?

I also never support local businesses eating out exclusively at chain restaurants and shopping at Amazon.

MartinB105

Nov 8, 2017
Not sure if this counts, but I sometimes feel kinda guilty for owning a three bedroom apartment as someone who lives alone, whilst my neighbours are all families with kids in smaller two bedroom apartments. That and other similar luxuries I get to enjoy by living alone like frequent vacations, being able to easily buy most things I want, etc..

There are also things that other people may commonly regard as immoral that I won't share, as I don't want to risk a ban.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I consume and pollute too much even if I try to live environmentally. I am part of the big wheel that exploits the poor in distant countries even if I try to be socially sustainable with my purchases. I mean my son has clothes most likely made someone else's son. My part in easing the suffering of others around world is very small. Even if I work every day to make things better (I am actually lucky to have a job that is actively pro environment) I am often lazy and too less than I could.

Just to start.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
California, U.S.
Hm, this is interesting, would committing suicide be morally wrong?
According to Kant, yes. I don't think many philosophers find Kant's case compelling though, which isn't to say they disagree with the conclusion. Also, he had some pretty unkind things to say about people who survived suicide attempts.

I'm no philosopher though. I wish I knew more about ethics and such.

OP
OP
fanboi

fanboi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
According to Kant, yes. I don't think many philosophers find Kant's case compelling though, which isn't to say they disagree with the conclusion. Also, he had some pretty unkind things to say about people who survived suicide attempts.

I'm no philosopher though. I wish I knew more about ethics and such.
Intresting, will look it up!

danowat

Oct 27, 2017
There are probably people who think that the amount I fly is morally wrong, but it doesn't keep me up at night.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ drive a lot and don’t currently recycle. I️ work in environmental sciences so I️ like to say i even it out a bit

I️ also put some money into a free to play mobile game. I️ know it’s silly but I️ enjoy Pokémon go and it’s probably my most played game in the last year or so

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't recycle as much as I should. Other then that I do other things that are considered 'morally' wrong; but truth be told I don't consider them morally wrong.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
I'm lazy
I've pretended more than once to be deaf in public to not have to talk to people.
I laugh when someone falls down and it takes me way too long to straighten myself up enough to ask if they need help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fanboi

fanboi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I find it helpful to recognize that every future version of me isn't me right now, and my actions towards them carry the same ethical duty as those towards other people.
But you can't do any action towards something that doesn't exist, you exist now, in this paradise or hell depending on how you view it. Or I missunderstand your post .)