• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

We have reached next-level deepfakes

RustyNails

Oct 26, 2017
An AI analyzes a bunch of photos of a face (or few, it can work with even just one), then replaces the face it detects in another video. It has been trained in different ways such as humans saying "yes" and "no" to many outputs, or another AI called a descriminator doing so itself, in which case the learning can be very quick. The code generated AIs is a black box, meaning we cannot really read it to know how it does what it does, we can only evaluate the output and train it again. Some AIs are given guidelines to speed up the learning, but it is believed that the most robust algorithms are those that are not assisted and are simply told if the result is valid or not.

The results you see is essentially no hand-work, the AI just did its thing and that was the result. The one outputting this is just making tiny tweaks in post-processing for colors and such, and he has no control on the results.
This is pretty amazing. Who is creating the AI? Military? Tech Giants?

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i've scanned through and don't think anyone's posted this,i saw it first about a week ago and it is truly horrifying.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine actors existing forever and staying at the same age, starring in movies for decades and always looking the same. Imagine actors that have passed appearing in films again looking like they're in their prime.

This all suddenly seems like a very real possibility.
Which I think is great. I'm all up for a Commando 2 that picks up after the first.

Oct 2, 2018
Just if they corrected the Carrey's face's portions skin tone. His parts of face look noticeably more pink than Nicholson's face. In the first shot they show, it also seems like Carrey's face drifts around a bit incorrectly. But if the skin tone was corrected, this would have looked so good.
I still think the Tom Cruise visiting those FX guys deepfake was the most fun and best done. But that's because they had a really good Cruise impersonator to begin with.
Amusing you said that the Carrey one is bad but the Tom cruise one is best. That Tom cruise one just screamed fake

TRCK

Oct 25, 2017
It's insane that this technology is possible but it's also scary to know that this would probably be used by criminals or even something bigger that would tear apart humanity.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Not even sure I can post it here.. but holy shit at the new Tom Cruise/American Psycho vid from Ctrl Shift Face

Freakzilla

Oct 31, 2017
Nah. We still ain't there. It's all jittery. Not. Even. Close.

Not even close?

I bet you could show a regular-ass person on the street this video, say that Jim Carrey is doing a remake of The Shining, and they'd buy it for a pretty decent amount of time into the video, if not afterwards.
For real. Not to mention what it'll look like when a company or foreign government pours millions into it.

i-Lo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

This one's pretty great.
Jesus Fried Chicken! What is messing with me is not the shots where there are new faces, instead, it is rather the transitions. It is seamless to the point of evoking existential crisis in me, making me question as to how my brain processes faces instead of specific features to completely miss said transitions.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly he based his performance off Tom Cruise. I say supposedly 'cus I've heard this factoid repeated a trillion times but I've never actually seen a direct quote, so I'm not sure if it's true.
Oh, I only said that because DiCaprio was the first choice to play Bateman. I'd like to see how these ai handle that one

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
For real. Not to mention what it'll look like when a company or foreign government pours millions into it.
I actually tested it on my sister, just said "check this out" and she asked me, "Wait, did Jim Carrey just go and do Jack Nicholson's performance and put it in there?" and I said, "Jim Carrey didn't DO anything" ... She literally thought it was Jim Carrey doing the performance.

I had to tell her what to look for and then she got it, but even then I had to explain the technology.

muteKi

Oct 22, 2018
a sunken pirate ship
At long last, we can make Christian Bale look like Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson look like Jim Carrey.
What wonders might we do next with this tech, dare we consider? Making Ed Sheeran look like Rupert Grint? Katy Perry looking like Zooey Deschanel?? JASON STATHAM LOOKING LIKE BRUCE WILLIS??????

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Fried Chicken! What is messing with me is not the shots where there are new faces, instead, it is rather the transitions. It is seamless to the point of evoking existential crisis in me, making me question as to how my brain processes faces instead of specific features to completely miss said transitions.
I think what it is, is that it gets you used to the artifacting from the deepfake application before it applies Tom's face completely, so you just assume it's a part of the video. Then you're sucked in and don't actually notice until it's fully happened.

i-Lo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I think what it is, is that it gets you used to the artifacting from the deepfake application before it applies Tom's face completely, so you just assume it's a part of the video. Then you're sucked in and don't actually notice until it's fully happened.
We have seen plenty of gifs and motion pictures where transition between two faces is clear. I think this deepfake stuff is so astoundingly disturbing because the showing the transition is NOT the focal point as it is with aforementioned examples. It happens so quickly back and forth and so organically that it shatters the understanding of my sensory perceptions.

It is akin to looking at those mind bending optical illusions.

Last edited:

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Articulated perfectly. The transitions were really really good. Still not sure how this will weaponized, but I'm pretty sure it will be.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
surprised ctrl shift face hasn't done a gender swap so far, though maybe it would lack visual impact without the styling of body/hair/makeup - but with the right material I bet you could get some convincing results.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Complete scene from American Psycho. They got a Tom Cruise impersonator to dub his lines.
Totally NSFW

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
It's fucking hilarious that some dude on the internet can do a better job at this than Lucasfilm did with Tarkin. I get that reference material probably wasn't the best for that thing, but still.