• An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 1 day, 7 hours, 31 minutes, 44 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Vegan sues Burger King for cooking Impossible Whopper on meat grill (and something about rats)

Cas

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think that’s completely nuts.

and not even crazy PETA, who are known for being THE crazy Vegan organization supports this kind of thought process

Our general advice is not to worry too much about doing this. The goal of being vegan is to help animals and reduce suffering; this is done by choosing a bean burrito or a veggie burger over chicken flesh, or choosing tofu scramble over eggs, not by refusing to eat an otherwise vegan food because it has 0.001 grams of monoglycerides that may possibly be animal-derived.
We discourage vegans from grilling waiters at restaurants about micro-ingredients in vegetarian foods (e.g., a tiny bit of a dairy product in the bun of a veggie burger). Doing so makes being vegan seem difficult and dogmatic to your friends and to restaurant staff, thus discouraging them from going vegan themselves (which really hurts animals). And we urge vegans not to insist that their food be cooked on equipment separate from that used to cook meat; doing so doesn’t help any additional animals, and it only makes restaurants less inclined to offer vegan choices (which, again, hurts animals).
Wow, Peta actually being reasonable there.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The Ingredient didnt kill any rats. They killed the rats themselves and dissected them after consuming to see effects. way different.
Even so, I can see how it doesn't pass the vegan test if the goal is no harm of animals (which I didn't know, I thought the point was not to eat animal products).

But this isn't advertised as vegan, so...

Also, that's got to be exhausting. Like if you go into a restaurant to try something new, how in the world is the restaurant supposed to know if it was tested on animals? I'd think you'd have to eat at home all the time and source everything yourself.

Oct 31, 2017
Fair enough. When I worked in a kitchen you had separate cutting boards etc for meat/dairy/fish/veg. Food safety should'nt be fucked with.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems kind of odd that they wouldn't just section off a small part of the grill to cook them separately, or just clean that part of the grill really quick. Then again I'm thinking of the Wendy's grill from many years ago, so I'm not sure how BK grills their stuff.

Cas

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my sister is vegan but only because she got bit by one of those ticks that kill your ability to process meat. If she has something vegetarian that's been cooked in the same cookware that meat product has been cooked in, she will get very sick for a 24 hour period. So yeah, if they're doing this, then she can't eat it as it's not going to vegetarian.
There's a tick that if it bites you, makes you unable to process meat???? I've never heard of that.

Edit: My Googlefu shows it's real! Mind blown https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alpha-gal-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20428608

Only for red meat though.

Imp the Dimp

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Peta actually being reasonable there.
PETA is nowhere near as crazy as people make them out to be. Slaughterhouses are literally the worst places on earth (unless you can name place that's worse than life-long suffering that ends in your throat being slit?), yet a vegan organisation can't get away with 0.0000001% of the harm factory farming inflicts, it's fucking crazy. It's outright brainwashing.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
PETA is nowhere near as crazy as people make them out to be. Slaughterhouses are literally the worst places on earth (unless you can name place that's worse than life-long suffering that ends in your throat being slit?), yet a vegan organisation can't get away with 0.0000001% of the harm factory farming inflict, it's fucking crazy. It's outright brainwashing.
Oh man, this is going to branch off into something.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
The Ingredient didnt kill any rats. They killed the rats themselves and dissected them after consuming to see effects. way different.
right, it was apparently required for the FDA to approve the safety of their plant-derived heme. it seems like any food that uses some novel chemical will run into the same problem unless the FDA changes its stance

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
PETA is nowhere near as crazy as people make them out to be. Slaughterhouses are literally the worst places on earth (unless you can name place that's worse than life-long suffering that ends in your throat being slit?), yet a vegan organisation can't get away with 0.0000001% of the harm factory farming inflict, it's fucking crazy. It's outright brainwashing.

Sorry, but peta is 110% as crazy as they seem to be and the organization as a whole need to be shot out of a cannon into the sun.

platocplx

Oct 30, 2017
Even so, I can see how it doesn't pass the vegan test if the goal is no harm of animals (which I didn't know, I thought the point was not to eat animal products).

But this isn't advertised as vegan, so...

Also, that's got to be exhausting. Like if you go into a restaurant to try something new, how in the world is the restaurant supposed to know if it was tested on animals? I'd think you'd have to eat at home all the time and source everything yourself.
yeah thats just exhausting, and yeah they never said it was vegan lol.

Devin

Oct 27, 2017
This is stupid, and does nothing to help animals.

There's a tick that if it bites you, makes you unable to process meat???? I've never heard of that.
There are actually several types of ticks that do this. In the US, there's the lone star tick. It creates an alpha-gal allergy (specifically, mammalian meat). It's habitat is expanding due to global warming.

tatsu123

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That disclaimer has been on there and BK even had leaflets in stores that explained what impossible burgers were and if you wanted them cooked separately to just ask.
Was going to say this. There's already a disclaimer that the burger is cooked on the same grill. This is a stupid, frivolous ass lawsuit. Get your $ , though, king.

platocplx

Oct 30, 2017
right, it was apparently required for the FDA to approve the safety of their plant-derived heme. it seems like any food that uses some novel chemical will run into the same problem unless the FDA changes its stance
and to be honest there is no way to do so any time soon and im totally okay for that for the sake of food safety.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I guess the one good thing that comes out of this is that it should now be obvious to everyone that it's not vegan (even though nobody at BK said it was vegan in the first place).

Though if you're a vegan, isn't this kind of like a Chik Fil A situation where you wouldn't want to support a company that makes a living selling meat products? Or is this forgivable because they're trying out something that doesn't contribute to animal cruelty?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the whole testing on animals bit, how exactly are you supposed to ensure a new kind of food product is safe for humans?

Imp the Dimp

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but peta is 110% as crazy as they seem to be and the organization as a whole need to be shot out of a cannon into the sun.
We can go into it in detail, but I am curious how PETA evokes such a strong reaction from you, yet factory farming apparently doesn't. Whenever people complain about PETA, I do an admittedly non-exhaustive google search ("peta controversy") and the worst I come up with is euthanasia which they themselves address and justify. Now we could argue whether their justification is persuasive, but we don't really have to because my position was that factory farming is worse than PETA by multiple orders of magnitude and if you oppose euthanasia, it follows that you oppose slaughter. From what I can tell, PETA does a lot more good than harm, which is not something I'd say about slaughterhouses.

lacer

Oct 25, 2017
i'm kind of confused how patronizing one of the biggest purchasers of beef on the planet constitutes being vegan in the first place

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I always laughed at those BK testimonial commercials. "It tastes just like a whopper!"

No shit, its covered in beef juice and cooked right next to whoppers

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
DFW, Texas
There are plenty of alternatives to animal testing. It's inexcusable and the only reason it flies is because of the arrogant belief human life is worth more than any other.
I wouldn't exactly call that arrogant. Human life is simply just worth more than animal life. If you give someone the choice between saving a human being or saving a rat the overwhelming majority of the human population is gonna choose the human for obvious reasons. To try and pretend the rat and the human (depending on the human obviously) are equal is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

V_Arnold

Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I think that’s completely nuts.

and not even crazy PETA, who are known for being THE crazy Vegan organization supports this kind of thought process

Our general advice is not to worry too much about doing this. The goal of being vegan is to help animals and reduce suffering; this is done by choosing a bean burrito or a veggie burger over chicken flesh, or choosing tofu scramble over eggs, not by refusing to eat an otherwise vegan food because it has 0.001 grams of monoglycerides that may possibly be animal-derived.
We discourage vegans from grilling waiters at restaurants about micro-ingredients in vegetarian foods (e.g., a tiny bit of a dairy product in the bun of a veggie burger). Doing so makes being vegan seem difficult and dogmatic to your friends and to restaurant staff, thus discouraging them from going vegan themselves (which really hurts animals). And we urge vegans not to insist that their food be cooked on equipment separate from that used to cook meat; doing so doesn’t help any additional animals, and it only makes restaurants less inclined to offer vegan choices (which, again, hurts animals).
Oh look, PETA being the reasonable one here. Amazing.
By the way, this new Rebel Whooper just launched in Hungary too, and I cant help myself but... I like it. I like it very much and I had not eaten in any fast-food place in 10 years. Its great to know that I can just go on with my day without having to plan a vegetarian/vegan meal beforehand. It kinda shows that while I heavily dislike the whole system, convinience is the main reason why so many people eat in these places.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
We can go into it in detail, but I am curious how PETA evokes such a strong reaction from you, yet factory farming apparently doesn't. Whenever people complain about PETA, I do an admittedly non-exhaustive google search ("peta controversy") and the worst I come up with is euthanasia which they themselves address and justify. Now we could argue whether their justification is persuasive, but we don't really have to because my position was that factory farming is worse than PETA by multiple orders of magnitude and if you oppose euthanasia, it follows that you oppose slaughter. From what I can tell, PETA does a lot more good than harm, which is not something I'd say about slaughterhouses.
You assume that i am ok with factory farming or ok with butchers in general. But a company claiming to be "for the ethical treatment of animals" but pulls this kind of shit, https://imgur.com/gallery/KOcx4, they can fuck right off with that nonsense.

It evokes strong feels for me because, to me, animals are one of the few creatures on this planet that are almost totally defenseless against humans. when i see an animal inhumanly abused or hurt, it pisses me right off.

Pasha

Jan 27, 2018
While ya'll focus on this the REAL story is being covered up!
The person handling the impossible burger is using his MEAT HANDS! Not only is that not even remotely vegan, it's also CANNIBALISM!

Faiz

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with that serious of a dietary restriction has to take responsibility to ask and not assume. They never said it was Vegan.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Human volunteers, computer models, tissue and cell cultures... Don't sit there making me do your homework for you. There are alternatives but apparently a lot of corporations would rather just do the cheap thing and use animals instead.
I just posted that because he asked specifically what alternatives there were, and you came back with "there are alternatives, but you guys are arrogant" which didn't help. But thanks for the info.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I literally said this off the jump.

And that's a whole neck you deserve if you're "vegan" eating at BK because they advertise a non meat burger. What type of silly shit lol

Devin

Oct 27, 2017
You assume that i am ok with factory farming or ok with butchers in general. But a company claiming to be "for the ethical treatment of animals" but pulls this kind of shit, https://imgur.com/gallery/KOcx4, they can fuck right off with that nonsense.

It evokes strong feels for me because, to me, animals are one of the few creatures on this planet that are almost totally defenseless against humans. when i see an animal inhumanly abused or hurt, it pisses me right off.
Imagine using the Center for Consumer Freedom as a source.