• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

US PoliEra 2019 |OT9| I'm really glad I'm not on Twitter nearly enough to understand all the references

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
seems like the tariff strategy has been to just throw a bunch of them out of there and then ease off and spin the other country easing off the tariffs that they only put in place as retaliation as a victory

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's just pure demographics.

People who play video games are less likely to support Biden, especially those who visit one of the few left leaning gaming forums. People who don't play video games are probably more likely to support him. Age is a major factor of course. Not to mention a lot of Era is actually not from the US to begin with.

Also most of Era is not even politically inclined. I bet Era as a whole is much more right than the typical Poliera and even OT era folks.
I could imagine the gaming side has a lot of posters who don't even step foot outside of it into OT.

Aaron

Oct 25, 2017
I think if you're asking are we in a bubble, then immediately follow up with "Joe Biden has no redeeming values," you've answered your own question.
lol seriously.

I've been leaning towards the "Bernie and Warren are the only good ones" camp myself lately, but looking past Biden's rhetoric (you know, the flowery "let's all work with Republicans" bullshit) and at his actual policy proposals, he's arguably been running to the left of Clinton and Obama, already the Democratic Party's most progressive presidential nominees. Yes, that does include several major flip-flops, but we should also stop pretending anyone meaningfully cares about this when it's a politician they like. Establishment leaders coming around to leftist positions is a good thing.

I'm not voting for him in the primary, but anyone acting like Biden would be no better than Trump or is a Republican lite or whatever has zero perspective. A Biden administration would be 1000x better than a Trump one.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
seems like the tariff strategy has been to just throw a bunch of them out of there and then ease off and spin the other country easing off the tariffs that they only put in place as retaliation as a victory
If this results in no changes whatsoever to China’s blatant IP theft this will have been the biggest waste of time (and money!) ever and Trump should rightfully be endlessly mocked for it.

Costing US manufacturers and farmers billions only to force China to buy some more Ag goods would be so pathetic

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@mkraju
Trump says he hasn’t decided how he’ll engage in the Alabama Senate race with Jeff Sessions as a candidate.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump noted Sessions’ campaign video released Thursday evening, saying it said nice things about him, per @Kevinliptakcnn
10:10 - 8 Nov 2019

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
She just said *if* there was an agreement they could see *some* lifted

they’re hedging their bets
Right, as I thought, the news yesterday that there was an agreement was a mistranslation, or a deliberate attempt to push the markets higher.

I've said for a while Trump will want an interim deal to take pressure off the economy and the markets while he campaigns. Buying time basically. He wanted the economy to weaken enough for the Fed to lower rates first.

Madison

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I liked Warren saying "Biden is running on the wrong primary" because of its ontological meaning more than from an actual "political" perspective.

I think that there is value in suggesting that "the soul of the democratic party should be about pushing for uncompromised change, not about finding a way to work with fascists". It also says that anyone who wants a democrat in power just to give the country a sense of normalcy again is just as much a fool as a republican, which is at least thought provoking.

Of course, the polls shared a few hours ago heavily contradict that democrats want this, which is why it could be seen as a stupid take when talking about the pure politics of it.

Regardless, I doubt that it will utlimately impact much on her candidacy.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
How can it be that 0% of Era likes biden...

but hes polling so well?

Is our bubble that fucking thick? Social media? Are people out there busting out Biden meems? The fuck is the explanation of this man. Hes terrible. Has no redeeming values, at all. Is it just obama recognition?
We're in an information bubble. If he ends up losing the first two contests, the thing most people will end up having as their first real 2020 primary thought is that Biden just lost twice.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
A second transcript that will undo testimony from everyone including the people that heard it first hand? Please proceed I want to read this sharpe marked mess too.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
lol seriously.

I've been leaning towards the "Bernie and Warren are the only good ones" camp myself lately, but looking past Biden's rhetoric (you know, the flowery "let's all work with Republicans" bullshit) and at his actual policy proposals, he's arguably been running to the left of Clinton and Obama, already the Democratic Party's most progressive presidential nominees. Yes, that does include several major flip-flops, but we should also stop pretending anyone meaningfully cares about this when it's a politician they like. Establishment leaders coming around to leftist positions is a good thing.

I'm not voting for him in the primary, but anyone acting like Biden would be no better than Trump or is a Republican lite or whatever has zero perspective. A Biden administration would be 1000x better than a Trump one.
We've already had someone here say, without a shred of irony or self-awareness, suggest a Biden presidency would be no better than Trump aside from not being a fascist. So yeah, there's a bubble lol.

Biden would be a fine president. His climate and health care policies are already to the left of what Obama and Hillary ran on. I'm not supporting him in the primary for a number of reasons (chief among them being I don't think he would fare well in a debate against Trump and I think his views on post-Trump Republican relations are dangerously naive), but if he were the nominee, voting for him in the general would not be a hold-my-nose-and-walk-over-broken-glass situation.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
We've already had someone here say, without a shred of irony or self-awareness, suggest a Biden presidency would be no better than Trump aside from not being a fascist. So yeah, there's a bubble lol.

Biden would be a fine president. His climate and health care policies are already to the left of what Obama and Hillary ran on. I'm not supporting him in the primary for a number of reasons (chief among them being I don't think he would fare well in a debate against Trump and I think his views on post-Trump Republican relations are dangerously naive), but if he were the nominee, voting for him in the general would not be a hold-my-nose-and-walk-over-broken-glass situation.
Exactly this

But I understand the fervent desire for monumental upheaval and change

I think people need to remember that even if, lets say Bernie, were to the win the barriers to implementing his policies don't magically disappear and every move he makes has the chance to provide growth to opposition

Thats not to argue against said changes but that change needs to come with deliberate and wise long term decision making

To be fair I think Bernie and many in the field have the capacity to do this potentially

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
?

If it has to be released twice with changes and edits its not a transcript like what the hell?
He was talking about the first call he made after Zelensky won his election and Trump called to congratulate. He’s trying to frame it as ”see, didnt threaten him on the first call so the one ive released is clean!” without releasing any calls or second party communications he might have had in between both calls.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bidens policies are mostly fine but he is also more likely to capitulate to Republicans than either Sanders or Warren. Plus foreign policy is a big stain on him post Obama.

I do not want the president of the US to entertain bull shit policies and plays by Republicans. I may be the minority on this but until Republicans start showing they can actually play ball with actions, then they shouldn't be catered to. They cry either way so might as well get something done. That's why the whole kumbaya, reach across the aisle rhetoric is poison to me.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Yep. This "polarization" we keep hearing about seems to be mostly occurring on the right. (Which is unfortunate for us tbh)
I get to listen to right wing radio at work all day. If you don’t vote Republican, you are considered less than human. The absolute contempt and disgust in the way they speak about other people is just.. a bit sad, actually. The line the best delineates Republicans and Democrats really is empathy. But conservatives make a lot more sense when you hear the propaganda they’re fed day in and day out.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@mkraju
Gordon Sondland, a major donor and now ambassador to European Union and who spoke to Trump multiple times in recent months. After Sondland revised his testimony describing quid pro quo for Ukraine military aide, Trump says today: “Let me just tell you I hardly know the gentleman”
10:46 - 8 Nov 2019

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Bidens policies are mostly fine but he is also more likely to capitulate to Republicans than either Sanders or Warren. Plus foreign policy is a big stain on him post Obama.

I do not want the president of the US to entertain bull shit policies and plays by Republicans. I may be the minority on this but until Republicans start showing they can actually play ball with actions, then they shouldn't be catered to. They cry either way so might as well get something done. That's why the whole kumbaya, reach across the aisle rhetoric is poison to me.
On the one hand I get why Dems have to put on that show: the work the aisle kumbaya shit is what Dem primary voters want out of candidates. But at the same time, I don't get the sense at all from Biden that it is a show, and that he genuinely believes Republicans will become rational good-faith actors after Trump is gone. Which is delusional, but especially bizarre coming from him, who should know better than anyone!

It's why I miss having Michael Bennet in these debates, he's really been the only one to call out Biden for this insane talk about working with Republicans and even highlighted how much Biden had fucked over Senate Dems on the fiscal cliff negotiations.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
It's still amazing to me people lay themselves on the tracks for this man when they know he leaves you for dead as soon as look at you.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pete Buttiegeg is on that train too so this criticism I have of Biden isn't exclusive to Biden. And Pete's policies are generally pretty good as well.

But another thing these guys have in common is being heavily influenced by rich corporations and donors. Biden taking money from fossil fuel companies and Pete being deep in with FB is some yikes shit. I know it's hard to win elections without money but you got no room to talk about certain policies if you are guided by others with vested interests.

Edit: Just as I say this Buttiegeg unveils his college plan.... big yikes!

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
How do we know the "Anonymous" person is who he says he is and not just some FBI/CIA person collecting and compiling information on the President?

It also feels weird "Anonymous" is able to make money off this book and still wants to work for the White House to "protect" us from Trump.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
How do we know the "Anonymous" person is who he says he is and not just some FBI/CIA person collecting and compiling information on the President?

It also feels weird "Anonymous" is able to make money off this book and still wants to work for the White House to "protect" us from Trump.
Either the author or publisher said proceeds from the book are being donated.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The GOP mob mentality would eviscerate this person. Look how hard they are trying to go in on the whistleblower. That said this person can't really take the moral high ground here as they are still making a profit and enabling/normalizing Trump's bull shit.

Aaron

Oct 25, 2017

I assure you on ResetEra you are most definitely not.

Broadly speaking? Yeah, a lot of Democrats fall for the "let's all work together~" nonsense, and you'll see Biden do some of that song and dance, but ultimately any Democratic president is likely to be somewhat constrained in what they can accomplish.

What we need to do in the next presidency is continue to rally and organize to ensure our leaders are carrying out progressive policies, not take a rain check for the next four years. Which is what I'm pretty sure will happen anyway.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017

For what it's worth this person is not anonymous to the New York Times who verified and published his original op ed last year. They say the individual was a 'current high ranking official' in the Whitehouse.

We don't know if they are 'current' anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.