Underlords Open Beta (Steam/Android/iOS) Official launch Feb 25, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
Man I’ve only played a single normal game ever since the rework they did a couple of months ago. Only been doing Knockouts.
Will wait for the launch to do regular matches again.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder what alliance Lycan is dropping to gain the Summoner one, doubt he’ll get to have 4

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see summoning units are back. That change never felt like it was for the best.

OP
OP
shira

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I like knockout now. idk what they do about the 30-40m game that is regular

Til launch

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there’s a happy medium between knockout and regular games
I only play knockouts nowadays but I feel like it’s waaaay too easy to get fucked if you roll bad shops in the first two rounds or so

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, knockout is my favorite as well. I just don't feel like the game has enough going on to justify longer matches. I was a bit disappointed that the devs said they felt like they couldn't experiment with the mechanics due to player feedback. I think there's a lot of design space to explore in the genre and I expected Valve of all companies to be the ones to push the envelope. Instead Underlords feels way behind TFT / HS Battlegrounds design wise.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, knockout is my favorite as well. I just don't feel like the game has enough going on to justify longer matches. I was a bit disappointed that the devs said they felt like they couldn't experiment with the mechanics due to player feedback. I think there's a lot of design space to explore in the genre and I expected Valve of all companies to be the ones to push the envelope. Instead Underlords feels way behind TFT / HS Battlegrounds design wise.
What are some more in-depth mechanics that Teamfight Tactics got over Underlords?
Still waiting for the iOS version to try it, I look forward to that.

Chaz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland, UK
Ive also been playing almost exclusively knockout the past month or so. I quite enjoy it despite the fact I kind of suck and the elevated RNG.

Im really looking forward to S1 starting though.

OP
OP
shira

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Match 2 instead of Match 3 is kinda bad for strategy, but it is more fun getting a team of 3 stars by the end.
Match 2 was the quirk for druids in autochess, but it was more strategic.

Kylac

Oct 31, 2017
MA
actually started playing a bit again. have had some success with 4 troll/4 warlock. and then 6 knights/3 healers.

all these new items and alliances. i didn't even know PA and TA were gone. what's the point of assassins anymore.

OP
OP
shira

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
actually started playing a bit again. have had some success with 4 troll/4 warlock. and then 6 knights/3 healers.

all these new items and alliances. i didn't even know PA and TA were gone. what's the point of assassins anymore.
Yeh, it's kind of a weird meta
big changes on the 25th - no more mechs

Kylac

Oct 31, 2017
MA
Yeh, it's kind of a weird meta
big changes on the 25th - no more mechs
yeah that's why I'm getting back in. Snapfire is pretty cool the little I've played of her. hope she sticks around.

Assassin's are still good tbh, and they can feed into quite a few sub alliances
they don't really seem to lead to anything though. the three early assassins bounty, QoP and Nyx. Bounty is the only one that really connects to any build? maybe insects are really good? is 4 insects a thing?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Auto chess has always been a sort of alt tab/watch something on your other monitor kind of thing

if you start adding stuff that makes you actually pay attention a bunch of people are going to be mad

the genre as a whole has never justified it's long match time unless you're super try hard

Oct 25, 2017
yeah that's why I'm getting back in. Snapfire is pretty cool the little I've played of her. hope she sticks around.

they don't really seem to lead to anything though. the three early assassins bounty, QoP and Nyx. Bounty is the only one that really connects to any build? maybe insects are really good? is 4 insects a thing?
No, but two insects is great, you can get free scrappy/insect/assassins at level 4 with Nyx/BH/Weaver/3rd assassin. Plus you get a free dragon, so slap in Spitfire or DK at your pleasure

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
Tfw when you don’t get anything to upgrade your starting roster 2 rounds in knockouts even after rerolls

smh

OP
OP
shira

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Auto chess has always been a sort of alt tab/watch something on your other monitor kind of thing

if you start adding stuff that makes you actually pay attention a bunch of people are going to be mad

the genre as a whole has never justified it's long match time unless you're super try hard
Autochess felt super fun to win or lose though.
I don't know how they re-create that feeling of watching a good Dota team fight.

We'll see what kind of carrots the Battlepass offers.

eleuin

Oct 25, 2017

Said I'd stop at boss, then big boss...
Knockout really reinvigorated my interest in the game.
Going to miss abusing scrappies and enno!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the things that made Autochess feel more fun was that even if you lost, you might have lost with a weird overpowered team that interacts in a way you hadn't seen before, aided by the sheer quantity of units always available. Meanwhile all the official versions are naturally aiming for some degree of balance which results in less of those weird team setups.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Valve had some familiarity with the term "marketing". There's a week left 'till full release and aside from that PCGamer magazine article, we know very little about 1.00 Version.

OP
OP
shira

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Valve had some familiarity with the term "marketing". There's a week left 'till full release and aside from that PCGamer magazine article, we know very little about 1.00 Version.
I think they tried that kind of approach with Artifact and it failed horribly.

29 retweets and 300 likes

19 retweets and 130 likes

16 retweets and 172 likes

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I remember stopping playing when jail was gone because it was one of few mechanics that made Underlords stood out. Has its removal been justfieid with gameplay improvement? Now, ironically TFT is going to have greater game-to-game variability with upcoming "galaxies" update.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I think they tried that kind of approach with Artifact and it failed horribly.

:( Long Haul...

OP
OP
shira

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I remember stopping playing when jail was gone because it was one of few mechanics that made Underlords stood out. Has its removal been justfieid with gameplay improvement? Now, ironically TFT is going to have greater game-to-game variability with upcoming "galaxies" update.
It was an ok idea, I'm not sure if it was a dealbreaker.
They have that cartoon jailbird in the official comics, maybe it comes back?

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
How little was in that article and how little they've promoted the actual launch compared to the "big update" seems weird. Less than a week to go, I assume we'll get something today, but it still seems weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.