• An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 1 day, 3 hours, 28 minutes, 28 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

UK General Election 12th December 2019 |OT1| Hindsight is 20/19

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
Look North or whatever the northwest thing is called.
Ah, so seems to be the same channel at least.

As for the biased BBC debate, as I have mentioned before, we know that many senior positions within the BBC have been filled over the years since the Tories got in power with pro-Tory people and so that bias had started to seep in and they became worse than they have ever been in my memory.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah reposting it doesn't solve the issue at all. Every retweet and link just went dead, so they've effectively killed the virality of it. Hopefully it blows up in their face and gets more eyeballs in it but I doubt it.

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
Which is impossible since government controls the laws and funding for pretty much everything.
Yeah ultimately this is the case but I think the Tory attitude towards the BBC has been pretty shocking in retrospect. They absolutely hated it coming in, slashed the budget, made it take on the cost of the WS, made it take on the cost of free licences for OAPs (or something similar - forget the exact detail). So now it is a worse service and that means people are less inclined to pay for the licence (I have strong views on this but not for this conversation) which means less budget, worse service etc etc. It's destroying the service and making what's left of it into a gov't mouthpiece, which is a huge backward step for our society.

They need to set up a cross-bench committee to over-see the relationship and take as much control as possible out of the hands of DCMS - though ultimately, the gov't has the final say.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
They do, although at times it does feel like lip service, the thing that troubles me is that both ends of the spectrum call them out for being biased, but they can't be biased both ways?
There's not some uniform opinion on bias, you'll notice to some people I've seen this plenty any at all negative article, interview etc will be seen as the BBC being biased towards labour because their definition of not being biased is writing 100% pro government positions or near enough. These people exist, and you can apply this to almost anything. Which is why saying both sides call them bias so they must be neutral isn't meaningful analysis. That's why studies are to actually analyse the output itself to form any judgement.

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
Who gives a flying fuck about how washed out the colours are on the backdrop for the Labour manifesto launch?

solidussnaku

Nov 29, 2017
Wouldn't worry too much about the Patel vid.

Just helps the opposition on how this issue was handled and amplify the fucked up vid.

Momemtum has already weaponized the fuck up. Good.

Please do this more BBC and Cons.

.Remember, patel is going to be front and centre in the Tory campaign. 😂

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, he replies to his own tweet saying that it's meant to be "Agree?" at the end as a question rather than his own opinion. Why the fuck he thinks it a topic of discussion I have no idea.
I laughed that he somehow thinks that it was meant as a question was somehow better.
It's a political backdrop, as long as it doesn't fall apart and letters drop off who cares.
The question mark is neither here nor there. It's the fact that he feels this sort of nothing dross is worthy of reporting rather than, y'know, the actual upcoming manifesto/speech of what could be the future government/PM. It's trashy nonsense.

DavidDesu

Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Is there anyone we can contact to get further info on this?

I say that as someone who genuinely rates the BBC’s output, hence my desire to find out what the fuck this is.
Open your eyes. As a Scot who is pro independence the BBC coverage of that campaign was flatout pro unionist propaganda. They even had one day a brand new No organisation, literally announced that day yet the BBC had a very cosy extensive piece about them. (There were multiple No organisations that cropped up one after the other because they were all terrible and useless). Unionist campaigning in general was very sparse yet whenever itwas covered they had the 15 people crowded round the camera and the right angle to make it look like a big event. Meanwhile the Yes campaign we’re having marches and protests against the BBC with hundreds and thousands of people and they got ABSOLUTELY BLANKED. At best they got really weird one paragraph articles that soon got buried on their website with one picture showing 2 people and a dog off to the side of this massive event with thousands. It was a deliberate, incessant attack on the optics of the Yes and overemphasising the No campaign. Day in day out.

We had debates about a Yes No referendum, two options, yet they had three unionist politicians against one SNP politician and somehow that was balance for a Yes/No option. It goes on, but safe to say my trust in the BBC absolutely evaporated in 2014. It seems to have gotten worse with Tory enablers absolutely riddling their ranks it seems. Laura CosyToryKeunssberg is another.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Notts, UK
Don’t know about you guys, but I’m ready for handwringing on affordability and mentions of magic money trees on a level we haven’t yet seen during this election campaign.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
The question mark is neither here nor there. It's the fact that he feels this sort of nothing dross is worthy of reporting rather than, y'know, the actual upcoming manifesto/speech of what could be the future government/PM. It's trashy nonsense.
Honestly half* the reason I think Kuenssberg and Peston are seen as biased towards the Tories is because so much of their reporting is this utterly superficial commentary. No real interrogation of the lies or policies or what it means, just "but how will it look on camera?" or "but how will it play on the doorstep?". It's this false neutrality, by trying not to pass judgement on any of it they are in fact painting it as acceptable behaviour.

*The other half is because they're all chums with Johnson and the Tories, all part of the same social circles, went to the same schools and attend the same parties and have a default Tory-skewing view of the world. Only things outside that overton window are worth raising an eyebrow at.

CampFreddie

Oct 25, 2017
My predictions, assuming a hung parliament.

If BoJo is close to a majority, the LD's would probably offer support on the Brexit vote only (no coalition) in return for a referendum, and abstain on any vote of confidence or supply (allowing a BoJo minority gov to proceed with the referendum). They'll try to disassociate themselves from the Tories by saying they didn't vote for them, but that it's not in the national interest to force yet another election.

If BoJo is far from a majority Lab+SNP outnumber him, then I think the LD's will do the same thing with Labour. Let them govern as a minority coalition with the SNP, vote for the Labour 2nd referendum and abstain on confidence and supply. This gets them a referendum, fulfils their promise to not vote for Corbyn and avoids them taking the heat for being in the "coalition of chaos".

The LD's will not want a no confidence vote and another quick election because it hurts them badly. A 2nd GE would function as a run-off election, since the only way to stop endless re-runs is to get a majority, which means ignoring anyone but the top 2 candidates - and the SNP due to Scotland being it's own thing and being willing to form a Lab-SNP coalition.
A 2nd GE will also favour Labour, since LD votes will fall away - mostly remainers switching (back) to Labour as the only party offering a realistic path to remain. There are lots more Lab/Con marginals than LD/Con marginals, so Labour will have a net gain.

BoJo will say no to any LD 2nd ref offer (because he has to) and try to push through his deal with help from Labour rebels. But he's unlikely to succeed since Labour rebels will see the potential for a win and value it much more highly than Brexit. So will Boris then accept the LD deal for a 2nd ref, or will he allow a 2nd GE where Labour will gain more than he does?

After any referendum, the LD's will probably call a VoNC. If remain wins, they'll see it as an opportunity to take the credit and increase their vote share. If leave wins, they'll still see it as an opportunity to grab any pissed-off remainers (probably by blaming Brexit on Corbyn for reasons).

Anyway, my advice would be to vote Labour unless the LD's or some other minority party are the only realistic option to keep the Tories out. Labour offer the best route to a 2nd ref with the best chance for remain and the least-bad leave option. Labour also offer non-evil (though somewhat over-ambitious) policies on everything else and the LibDem manifesto (which is generally good) may as well be put on a letter to Santa given that they can't possibly get a majority.

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Who was the brummie woman that was just talking at the Labour manifesto launch? She mentioned having gone viral three years ago.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit concerned about the Tories proposed raise in the NI threshold. Sure, it would take a whole load of people out of paying NI - but if state pensions continue to be based on NI contributions, it'll take them all out of the state pension as well, which is a bit of a time bomb.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Don’t know about you guys, but I’m ready for handwringing on affordability and mentions of magic money trees on a level we haven’t yet seen during this election campaign.
It'll be tough on the conservative end as they also pushing they'll be trimming heavily from the magic money tree and people are starting to wisen up to the fact that austerity was a con.

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
Salmond charged with 14 counts including attempted rape. Not that that has anything to do with the election.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Open your eyes. As a Scot who is pro independence the BBC coverage of that campaign was flatout pro unionist propaganda. They even had one day a brand new No organisation, literally announced that day yet the BBC had a very cosy extensive piece about them. (There were multiple No organisations that cropped up one after the other because they were all terrible and useless). Unionist campaigning in general was very sparse yet whenever itwas covered they had the 15 people crowded round the camera and the right angle to make it look like a big event. Meanwhile the Yes campaign we’re having marches and protests against the BBC with hundreds and thousands of people and they got ABSOLUTELY BLANKED. At best they got really weird one paragraph articles that soon got buried on their website with one picture showing 2 people and a dog off to the side of this massive event with thousands. It was a deliberate, incessant attack on the optics of the Yes and overemphasising the No campaign. Day in day out.

We had debates about a Yes No referendum, two options, yet they had three unionist politicians against one SNP politician and somehow that was balance for a Yes/No option. It goes on, but safe to say my trust in the BBC absolutely evaporated in 2014. It seems to have gotten worse with Tory enablers absolutely riddling their ranks it seems. Laura CosyToryKeunssberg is another.
Am not a Scot, and cannot really say that I paid much attention to the referendum coverage - or at least so much that I can recall, so not going to counter your own grievances with them.

My post was more so I could query it with them directly if possible, and I’d still like to.

Regarding the Peston tweet, I took it as an off the cuff remark whilst he was waiting around bored for it to start.

Honestly half* the reason I think Kuenssberg and Peston are seen as biased towards the Tories is because so much of their reporting is this utterly superficial commentary. No real interrogation of the lies or policies or what it means, just "but how will it look on camera?" or "but how will it play on the doorstep?". It's this false neutrality, by trying not to pass judgement on any of it they are in fact painting it as acceptable behaviour.

*The other half is because they're all chums with Johnson and the Tories, all part of the same social circles, went to the same schools and attend the same parties and have a default Tory-skewing view of the world. Only things outside that overton window are worth raising an eyebrow at.
Also potentially this. Especially the bolded - Twitter journalism isn’t fantastic and is full of pointless crap.

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure that was created by the Conservatives? Not that I'm particularly doubting it, just making sure.

Garfield

Oct 31, 2018
I remain more convinced than ever that celebrities and twitter should not mix, Riley became famous for (this be real) a pretty face and a big brain, now she dun fucked up and choose to share her political views with us all

H1PSTER

Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Are we sure that was created by the Conservatives? Not that I'm particularly doubting it, just making sure.
Your comments are getting annoying - Salmond has absolutely nothing to do with politics anymore, and he's a shitbag, it was useless bringing him up in this thread where he has no baring on anything.

And if you actually went to the site you'd have your answer as opposed to fishing for responses.

DavidDesu

Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Salmond charged with 14 counts including attempted rape. Not that that has anything to do with the election.
I’ll sound super biased here and we do need to really wait for the outcome of this but (and considering innocent until proven guilty) I just don’t believe this. The BBC has every gory detail of the alleged incidents in their article so even if he comes out of this proven innocent the damage is done. Doesn’t help Salmond has always had that smug demeanour of his so people put two and two together, like that creepy looking landlord guy the papers said was a murderer and had nothing to do with it. Urgh. It certainly is shockingly bad timing although I don’t see this really affecting the SNP vote in Scotland.

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
Your comments are getting annoying - Salmond has absolutely nothing to do with politics anymore, and he's a shitbag, it was useless bringing him up in this thread where he has no baring on anything.

And if you actually went to the site you'd have your answer as opposed to fishing for responses.
I brought him up in this thread because all the people who would be interested in that would be in here anyway. That's it. I have no interest in doing down the SNP.