UK coronavirus discussion (up: 27 March. Boris Johnson tests positive for Covid-19. Mild symptoms)

Bunga

Oct 29, 2017

‘Minimising time outside the home’ is not driving to the Peak District and wandering around for half the day, or spending a couple of hours in the park. I think they mean ‘go for a run or walk the dog etc, not ‘only leave the house once but it’s fine if I’m out all afternoon’.

They could have been both clearer and firmer though.
I do see what you're saying, we haven't been spending any longer than an hour out a day in a nearby field and I probably wouldn't spend any longer than that or go anywhere other than that.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
No issue with the drone video.

The advice is pretty clear - you can go out close to your home once a day to exercise if you so wish - not travel via car to remote locations to faff about on mountains.

I'd also assume that as the emergency services are going to be incredibly stretched at present, the last thing they want is people travelling via car unnecessarily (which is in line with the government advice of staying at home).
Yep, people defending the walkers on the drone video or slagging off the police are sadly part of the problem.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

‘Minimising time outside the home’ is not driving to the Peak District and wandering around for half the day, or spending a couple of hours in the park. I think they mean ‘go for a run or walk the dog etc, not ‘only leave the house once but it’s fine if I’m out all afternoon’.

They could have been both clearer and firmer though.
Yes, they should have been clearer on the exercise front. I live 10 minutes from the Peak district, is it too much of a drive for me to go there for a walk? As I mentioned above, I will probably meet more people sauntering down my road.

Also, (not aiming this at the post above) can we all stop proclaiming each other idiots for struggling with this situation. It's pretty fucking hard face the prospect of not going outside in the next few months. It's hardly surprising people are looking for some opportunity to enjoy the countryside.

NomadPete

Oct 30, 2017
Norfolk, UK
So err I live in the City centre of Norwich - I have been driving to the UEA/Earlham Park or Whitlingham to walk the dogs and exercise once per day for a couple of hours. After seeing that drone video should i not be doing this?

Should I just walk around the city or what?
Walk along the river/cow tower, maybe up to mousehold? Where are you in the city?

Don't head to UEA (too close to the N&N for me anyway!) and I think Earlham and Eaton will probably by busy with locals. Footpaths around Whitlingham bit narrow, might be difficult to avoid people.

solidussnaku

Nov 29, 2017
Went to the local shop this morning, and while I was able to get some things the lack of space between people gave me a massive anxiety attack and now I have to reset the clock from when I was last close to someone. I will know by April 9th if I have Covid-19 or not now. Massively frustrating.
I don’t suffer from anxiety but I have been doing the following when I go out to dramatically reduce the chance of getting the virus, can’t 100% stop it whilst out to buy essentials but can minimise the risk. Live with family that are at risk.

Wear a facemask to filter out air going into the nose and mouth, some will say they don’t do much, but it’s better then an uncovered mouth and nose. ANY filtration is better then none. I noticed immediately the difference when you breathe in, it does feel like the air isn’t as thick or quick to breathe in. Can’t attest to the quality, but noticed a lot of facemask bundles drop significantly in price on amazon U.K. this week, I reckon they are being cracked down on now.

sunglasses or eyeglasses to create a barrier for the eyes. Sunglasses work great, a pair of cheap as hell black aviators from the likes of amazon etc are brilliant for this. Short of wearing fucking a ski mask hahaha this is the best option you can do.

You will have to get used to the glasses of your choice getting steamed up though for the first 5-10 mins. You should be able to see pretty much everything though, especially in this weather.

Wear a beanie or woolly hat, even if it is sunny, covering the ears, which the virus can go into your body via that orifice, covering them prevents that.

If no hat, wearheadphones, even if you don’t listen to anything , acts as a barrier to the virus entering the body though the ears. My galaxy buds are incredible for this. It has a mode where the outside sounds are mixed in with the music you are listening too, or works in that mode without any music.So you can be aware of the surroundings.

Buy some surgical gloves to wear whilst shopping, helps the need to wash hands once you come back from the shop. Managed to find a 100 pack on amazon for around 6£

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
As a self employed person I'm pleased to hear that, I just need to know how to claim.

....and I don't qualify. Sigh.

Edit - Jesus, did he just say beginning of June?

Oct 30, 2017
Having gone from full time employment, to 2 months of self-employment, then to a limited company all over the past 6 months, I have no bloody clue where I fall on this.

limerobot

Apr 26, 2019
Wear a beanie or woolly hat, even if it is sunny, covering the ears, which the virus can go into your body via that orifice, covering them prevents that.

If no hat, wearheadphones, even if you don’t listen to anything , acts as a barrier to the virus entering the body though the ears. My galaxy buds are incredible for this. It has a mode where the outside sounds are mixed in with the music you are listening too, or works in that mode without any music.So you can be aware of the surroundings.
the virus can enter the body via ear?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure what he was talking about with regard to the 200k a year thing... because supposedly the limit would be for self employed with profits of £50k.

Ironically I'd be better off if I'd been dishonest and put expenses through that I shouldn't have.

Oct 28, 2017
People seem to kind of be over the lock down now, fair amount of people chilling out and about today around both my workplace and home locations. Also haven't seen any police presence since the lock down started, not that I'm fussed (london). Don't really blame people.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Some (not all) of these questions are like Homer asking "are you really the Head of the Kwik-E-Mart?".
What a waste from the daily mail, asking a question he just answered. There's limited questions each day, make them count.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Has anyone been able to get through the phone lines regarding their Universal Credit at all? Been trying for close to 3 days now and I just get left on hold...

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'd love to know how they've worked out that self employed people with more than £50k a year profit earn on average £200k a year.

I can only assume they've included billionaires in the calc. Massively misleading.

Redcrayon

Zoinks!
Oct 27, 2017

the virus can enter the body via ear?
I don't think there's any evidence or advice regarding the virus entering your body through your ears.
The NHS advises people not to touch the eyes, nose, mouth. It's the exception that proves the rule. If they thought there was a plausible infection/transmission route through your eardrum, advice would be widespread.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
This self employment plan is really going to piss people off. If you work you need to be furloughed and you can't take another job during that time.

This is just a handout to 95% of self employed whether they are affected by this or not. Still free to keep earning money.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'd love to know how they've worked out that self employed people with more than £50k a year profit earn on average £200k a year.

Not sure why that's confusing. Take all the profit earnings for everyone recorded as £50k or more, and the average person from that bracket earns around £200k. And that's profit, not turnover. Self employment is usually pretty damn generous with expenses.

I also think it's perfectly fine to say "if your average profit is over £50k you don't need the help." Genuinely refreshing to see that attitude from a Conservative! Though it does raise questions about whether there's a similar high-earner cut off for employees. I don't recall if there is.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
That's bullshit, in unprecedented times you should help everyone. Bragging you help 95% means tens of thousands are left behind. They'll all pat themselves on the back and press will big it up in the morning but to my mind its not right.

Irrotational

Oct 25, 2017
There’s lots of cars in that car park, and the odds are they all don’t exactly live down the road. That’s the kind of contagion vector they are trying to stop, let alone letting people walk around a tourist hotspot known for walkers ending up with knackered ankles etc while emergency services are understaffed and stretched.
The advice is hazy at best, but I think the point is to minimise the potential for contact, as well as contact itself. If you're driving unnecessarily, there's the possibility of a breakdown, an accident, or even just having to get fuel more often than otherwise.
Yes - sorry - you're both right. I was thinking of a 5/10/15 minute drive to get somewhere and walk. So I was thinking these risks are minimal. For longer journeys and busier places it doesn't work at all and should definitely be avoided.