TV Displays and Tech Thread |OT2| There Is No Perfect TV ™ (Read The OP)

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
San Diego
For games, do ya'll prefer a warm color tone/temperature or more like medium or even cool? I kinda like medium on the C9 for a game like Super Lucky but Warm1 seems more proper for something like RDR2.
I calibrate Warm 2 until I get a 6937 temperature and I'm using a different white point than D65 since all OLED TVs can suffer from meteramism when viewed.

This makes my OLED look like a reference CRT. I'm sure the Digital Foundry guys would love it.

Apr 21, 2018
Someone else has noticed that the ps4 clips white targets at level 235 regardless of what mode (limited or full rgb) its selected? I notice these days doing some pattern tests.

Maybe the PS4 like the Xbox works better in limited RGB than full? maybe this why the banding is always more noticeable in full?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Someone else has noticed that the ps4 clips white targets at level 235 regardless of what mode (limited or full rgb) its selected? I notice these days doing some pattern tests.

Maybe the PS4 like the Xbox works better in limited RGB than full? maybe this why the banding is always more noticeable in full?
this depends more on your display than it does the PS4, doesn’t it? What are you using for a display?

Oct 27, 2017
Of Sony's 2020 displays, only the X900H gets all the HDMI 2.1 features? I don't understand what Sony's doing here.
It's not just Sony though. The transition to HDMI 2.1 and features has been a slog with almost all manufacturers. I mean I am sure there are reasons, but it seems like a sure fire bet that most manufacturers coming into 2020 ces would have more offerings.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
It's not just Sony though. The transition to HDMI 2.1 and features has been a slog with almost all manufacturers. I mean I am sure there are reasons, but it seems like a sure fire bet that most manufacturers coming into 2020 ces would have more offerings.
Yeah with next gen consoles coming you'd think they would want to make sure that people choose their TV for that but nope, seems like 2021 might be the year of more HDMI 2.1 support. LG is really ahead of the game here with their OLEDs.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think my next tv had to have full HDMI 2.1 but now I’m not so sure. I game fairly infrequently. I don’t believe next gen consoles will have many games that output at [email protected] Vrr may be somewhat useful but I don’t think it’s going to be a game changer (for me that is). So I’m thinking I may go with the tv that best handles motion and up scaling.

Jun 4, 2019
Two questions for the C9

What to do with the pixel refresher?

And logo luminance adjustment. It's set to low, is this for any static images on the screen (because that would help a lot with busy HUD elements) or nothing like that? Either way, what to do with that?

Switched between low and high and off and doesn't seem to make any difference in it dimming the screen or whatsoever. So high it is?

Hasney

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Two questions for the C9

What to do with the pixel refresher?

And logo luminance adjustment. It's set to low, is this for any static images on the screen (because that would help a lot with busy HUD elements) or nothing like that? Either way, what to do with that?
A pixel refresher runs every 4 hours of cumalitive use. The manual one is for if you ever see any image retention or burn in, otherwise don't touch it.

I left logo luminance at low and had no issues with HUDs.

Jun 4, 2019
A pixel refresher runs every 4 hours of cumalitive use. The manual one is for if you ever see any image retention or burn in, otherwise don't touch it.

I left logo luminance at low and had no issues with HUDs.
That's good to know. I do believe I saw some very very faint IR yesterday, but when it's that slight it should be gone in no time.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any idea why a PC with a 980 may NOT be sending out RGB Full when the NCP is set to Full?

I don't actually want to use RGB Full (I keep it set to YCbCr422 12-bit) I was just wanting to try it out to verify something for a post at AVS I was writing and realized when I changed RGB to Full the screen would blink but wouldn't look any different afterwards and didn't have any black crush even though the PC should have been sending RGB Full with the TV still set to Black Level Low (limited).

The NCP says the setting is set to Full but it's obviously not actually sending out RGB Full.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So last July (2019) I bought the often recommended 65 inch TCL and had to have it replaced a month later due to these horrible black lines / spots that would appear all over the screen. Only a hard reboot would make them go away and it was temporary.

Fast forward to last December and the spots started appearing again.

I finally reached out to TCL again a couple days ago and they are now offering me a full refund. Nearly $800 to pick up the unit and be done with me. I am going to take them up on their offer and try to find another TV.

Is the Hisense 65in on tvrtings truly the best unit under $1000 USD? Or does anybody else have any recommendations?

Mystic

Oct 25, 2017
So last July (2019) I bought the often recommended 65 inch TCL and had to have it replaced a month later due to these horrible black lines / spots that would appear all over the screen. Only a hard reboot would make them go away and it was temporary.

Fast forward to last December and the spots started appearing again.

I finally reached out to TCL again a couple days ago and they are now offering me a full refund. Nearly $800 to pick up the unit and be done with me. I am going to take them up on their offer and try to find another TV.

Is the Hisense 65in on tvrtings truly the best unit under $1000 USD? Or does anybody else have any recommendations?
You may play panel lottery with Hisense as well. Just a reality of buying these feature rich budget panels. Corners have to be cut, nobody gets a free lunch. The Samsung Q70 and Sony 900F have reached around $1k for a 65" (I think the 900F was on sale for $900 before the Superbowl) and are a safer bet if your worried about reliability.

I'd definitely invest in a warranty with TCL and Hisense at least.

Alexander89

Apr 3, 2019
Sony XH95 seems like a solid TV. Too bad about the lack of HDMI 2.1 though

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
You may play panel lottery with Hisense as well. Just a reality of buying these feature rich budget panels. Corners have to be cut, nobody gets a free lunch. The Samsung Q70 and Sony 900F have reached around $1k for a 65" (I think the 900F was on sale for $900 before the Superbowl) and are a safer bet if your worried about reliability.

I'd definitely invest in a warranty with TCL and Hisense at least.
Thank you for the recommendations. Going to look into the sony a bit.

Corrie1960

Mar 19, 2019

Hi everyone can you help me. I reserved this tv it’s only €350 it’s gonna be a present for my boyfriend he’ll only be using it to watch tv only for mtv and the soaps and wondering if it’s a good tv to buy for not as I was gonna buy it for Valentine’s Day.

there is an error in the listing the tv has 3 HDMI & 2 USB ports not the other way around

Jun 4, 2019
What is it that creates color banding? I see it in some games but also Netflix content. Watched a movie yesterday called Bad Day for the cut and in some scenes the picture was great, especially day time stuff but the more darker stuff is where it can look downright ugly, especially with color banding.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Dumb question... can the USB ports on the back of modern TV's be used to power devices that aren't used as A/V input/output?

Like hooking up power for an optical-to-composite adapter. If it works, that'd just be one less AC adapter necessary.

Jan 21, 2019
Hey everyone. Upon turning off my Sony X900E I was shown a screen with a new update and if I wanted to install it. I said "no" so I could ask about it.

Does anyone know about this update and if so has experience with it? I'm past my warranty and I don't want a faulty system to mess up my TV.

EDIT: I just checked my firmware, it's: PKG6.5629.0177EUA.

Last edited:

evilalien

Oct 27, 2017

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Sony 2020 TV lineup is a complete mess. I figured that hdmi 2.1 might be relegated to only high end, but Sony throwing this all in a loop with what they are doing. 2020 is the messy transition year for sure for tvs.

Looking to get some HDMI 2.1 compatible cables for use with an LG C9 and next gen consoles. Will these do the trick?

Any better options?
We don't have new consoles out yet to test so it's probably a little early to know what is best to use.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
New York
No idea where to ask but I'm in the market for a new TV. My current 2009 Samsung is on its way out and I'm deciding between the TCL 6 Series and the Vizio M Series Quantum. Anyone use either of these TVs or can recommend a different kind?

I would get the C9 if money wasnt an issue :/

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
No idea where to ask but I'm in the market for a new TV. My current 2009 Samsung is on its way out and I'm deciding between the TCL 6 Series and the Vizio M Series Quantum. Anyone use either of these TVs or can recommend a different kind?

I would get the C9 if money wasnt an issue :/
The M series is the most recommended gaming tv by RTings that isn't an expensive LG or Samsung (narrowly edging the TCL). I would wait for the new models to come out if you can to get HDMI 2.1.

Shambala

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man I’m tryin to pull he plug on a 77” c9 or the 65” c9. But man the 77” is still so damn high

Shambala

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Given the price almost doubles, I think you need to examine your use case very hard to decide if it's worth the difference.
Yea I’m gaming mostly on my c8 but I wanna get that model for the vrr and stuff. But I think I’ll just settle for the 65”. Got a counter offer for $1899 65” C9 on green toe.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Man I’m tryin to pull he plug on a 77” c9 or the 65” c9. But man the 77” is still so damn high
What size TV are you coming from?

I went from a 75" Samsung 2019 Q9FN to a 65" C9 and I hard a hard time adjusting to wear I wore my wife down to give me the green light to get the 77". It all depends, imho on what size you are coming from. If you have the funds, I say go bigger because the biggest regret is size imho when it comes to TV's. Best Buy has lowered them back to $4999.99.

Shambala

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What size TV are you coming from?

I went from a 75" Samsung 2019 Q9FN to a 65" C9 and I hard a hard time adjusting to wear I wore my wife down to give me the green light to get the 77". It all depends, imho on what size you are coming from. If you have the funds, I say go bigger because the biggest regret is size imho when it comes to TV's. Best Buy has lowered them back to $4999.99.
I have all 65” oleds. Looking for one for my game/theater room. But at $5000 the wife would never approve 😂😂 when I can get the 65” for way less 🤷‍♂️ (I want the 77” tho)

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I have all 65” oleds. Looking for one for my game/theater room. But at $5000 the wife would never approve 😂😂 when I can get the 65” for way less 🤷‍♂️ (I want the 77” tho)
I know your pain. When I got my C9 65" that is all that she would approve and at the time it was on sale for $2499.99. Then we got lucky and it dropped to $2099.00 and got the difference, then it dropped in-store another $100.00. The entire time (right after I bought it) I kept making little comments about wanting the 77". Honestly, I could of lived with the 65"...but got lucky and she said go for it. Only regret is that the 65" C9 was flawless, no uniformity or other issues. On the 77" I do have banding, but it has improved over the last 2 days or so...but no where as clean as the 65" I had which was perfect out of the box.

Mega Man X

Oct 25, 2017
Sony XH95 seems like a solid TV. Too bad about the lack of HDMI 2.1 though

Did they just reveal pricing on the 900H and 950H? I hope so, if those are the launch MSRP prices that’s not bad. $1400 for a 65” 900H sounds intriguing.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Did they just reveal pricing on the 900H and 950H? I hope so, if those are the launch MSRP prices that’s not bad. $1400 for a 65” 900H sounds intriguing.

Agreed. Really only question I have at this point is how many dimming zones.

Alexander89

Apr 3, 2019
IF A9H is released in september with 2.1 HDMI ports, it will be the best tv on the market, wont it? better uspcaling and motion than LG, plus sony finally gettin gaming features. if it releases, thats it.. and wont cost 1.5k more than C9..

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017

Hi everyone can you help me. I reserved this tv it’s only €350 it’s gonna be a present for my boyfriend he’ll only be using it to watch tv only for mtv and the soaps and wondering if it’s a good tv to buy for not as I was gonna buy it for Valentine’s Day.

there is an error in the listing the tv has 3 HDMI & 2 USB ports not the other way around
Honestly, I wouldn't buy something like this, but if it's only for watching TV he should be fine. Honestly, if it's purely for watching TV (not streaming or anything like that), pretty much every TV should be fine.

IF A9H is released in september with 2.1 HDMI ports, it will be the best tv on the market, wont it? better uspcaling and motion than LG, plus sony finally gettin gaming features. if it releases, thats it.. and wont cost 1.5k more than C9..
But it will ...

Alexander89

Apr 3, 2019
I can tell you that at least in Austria the 77 C9 was 3500 Euro last November around Black Friday. I paid 4444 for my C8 77 in 2018. So this year's BF might be the perfect time for you to switch.
Really? Its still 6k here in Slovakia ffs.. Would buy for 3.5k if it gets there and if CX isnt a lot better.

I dont even think shops have the 77-inch model in stock though, they just order it from somewhere, if someone actually pulls the trigger on it. Because almost no one can afford it. 65 inch one is a different story, you can get it for 2K, same for Q90r and those are pretty good prices.

Plum

The Fallen
May 31, 2018
So I'm looking to build a new PC and, due to a number of reasons, I will have to use my LG C9 55 inch as a monitor. I'll be sitting on a comfy armchair with some sort of table to hold the keyboard/mouse. However before I start seriously planning for it I've got a few questions:

1) When it comes to burn-in should I be worrying about using the PC as a monitor? I don't expect to use it a significant amount of the time seeing as I've got a laptop that's perfectly fine for general browsing, but I will be using it for probably an hour each day (on average).
2) Is it OK if I shoot for 1440p gaming instead of 4K gaming? Is there any easy way I can test what a 1440p game looks like on my TV from Xbox One X or PS4 Pro? I don't have nearly enough money to go for 4K PC gaming but a 2070 Super is in my price-range and that seems to be great for 1440p
3) Will Variable Refresh Rate work out of the box? I might consider using the TV's 120hz capabilities when playing games, but only if I can get that with the benefits of VRR.

Any help would be much appreciated!