TV Displays and Tech Thread |OT2| There Is No Perfect TV ™ (Read The OP)

Jun 4, 2019
I work as a structural engineer, the weight of a tv is not anywhere near enough to collapse a 2x4 stud wall. Just make sure you use a stud finder when locating where to nail in so it is not just supported on drywall.
I'll definitely do that. I have no idea what it is but I'm sure Google will help will that. But it's a thing for the future. First let's see if luck is finally on my side that there are no glaring issues.

DanWENS

Nov 14, 2019
Nop, never, it's not good to do it unless you have a problem with the TV. The automatic one already works for greyscale issues.

Keep in mind, like Sanctuary said, that not every panel change as much as others, I can only speak of mine.
I did the manual pixel refresh because I read somewhere it could help with banding, but in my case it didnt change anything. Does that mean the automatic one wont make any change for me? Or is the automatic one better for banding than the manual?

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
I'll definitely do that. I have no idea what it is but I'm sure Google will help will that. But it's a thing for the future. First let's see if luck is finally on my side that there are no glaring issues.
No worries! I agree it’s not a bad idea to let things shake out first, there is no rush to finalize things.
As far as the wall, in the US it is very unlikely it is any less than a 2x4 at 16” or 24”. If you are thinking it is thin because of sound that is probably because it’s an interior wall with no insulation.
Bottom line is don't worry about hanging a TV on a wall, it really doesn't weigh anything in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone here using a C9 (or LG OLED) as a gaming monitor? Really trying to figure out if I should buy a C9 or CX as a gaming monitor instead of an actual “monitor.”
I have mine attached to my PC as a secondary display to play games on.

I wouldn't want to use it as my primary monitor for non-gaming stuff.

Adryuu

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the first Philips 'The One' 7304 are starting to arrive in Europe!

They're available on Amazon so I think I'll be ordering a 43" one for my desktop soon and return it after a couple of weeks if I find it too big for my setup. Full array, Dolby Vision, HDR10+ and below 600€...I'll post a small review once I receive it.
Hey, this post is one the only two I've found about this tv set. Did you stick with it? Care to explain if it's worth it for a main tv set in the living room and especially for gaming? I can't find a single proper review about it online, lol, and I'n debating on whether to get it or not for 429 euros. The 43'' model is suposed to be an IPS panel right? is it FALD?

Jun 4, 2019
No worries! I agree it’s not a bad idea to let things shake out first, there is no rush to finalize things.
As far as the wall, in the US it is very unlikely it is any less than a 2x4 at 16” or 24”. If you are thinking it is thin because of sound that is probably because it’s an interior wall with no insulation.
Thing, I'm located in the Netherlands. No idea how the walls are constructed here. But it's great advice that I will be using. :)

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Thing, I'm located in the Netherlands. No idea how the walls are constructed here. But it's great advice that I will be using. :)
Oh that is a little different then. To be honest I don't know how a typical interior wall would typically be constructed outside of the US. That would be interesting to know though!
I've heard that brick homes are more common in Europe as wood is not as cheap as in the US but that would probably only apply to your load bearing walls which are mostly on the outside walls.

Hamrub

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Oh that is a little different then. To be honest I don't know how a typical interior wall would typically be constructed outside of the US. That would be interesting to know though!
I've heard that brick homes are more common in Europe as wood is not as cheap as in the US but that would probably only apply to your load bearing walls which are mostly on the outside walls.
In the UK at least, it's not uncommon for internal walls to be brick as well. I've mounted a TV on a brick wall a couple of times, it's not difficult.

Jun 4, 2019
So I fired up MHW, Witcher 3 and Battlefield 5 and man....this screen is the truth. These are all out of the box default settings and I honestly don't want to change much, if anything, so far. Which is rare. It's also a clear improvement over the Q9FN in terms of picture quality. And the Q9FN is no pushover.

Anyway, didn't Xbox One X have a Screensaver option? I definitely want that enabled for when I have the Xbox sitting on the dashboard, even if it's mere seconds.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
So I fired up MHW, Witcher 3 and Battlefield 5 and man....this screen is the truth. These are all out of the box default settings and I honestly don't want to change much, if anything, so far. Which is rare. It's also a clear improvement over the Q9FN in terms of picture quality. And the Q9FN is no pushover.

Anyway, didn't Xbox One X have a Screensaver option? I definitely want that enabled for when I have the Xbox sitting on the dashboard, even if it's mere seconds.
Xbox has customizable dim and GUI options in settings.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I don't know about the C9,but the C8 Game Mode was pretty bad calibrated(unlike all the other modes that are perfect out of the box). The color tone was way to cool. I'll suggest to take a look just in case, hopefully they changed it for the C9.

Btw, y'all need to watch Night on Earth on Netflix, looks stunning on OLED (and surely in higher LEDs too).

Jun 4, 2019
I don't know about the C9,but the C8 Game Mode was pretty bad calibrated(unlike all the other modes that are perfect out of the box). The color tone was way to cool. I'll suggest to take a look just in case, hopefully they changed it for the C9.

Btw, y'all need to watch Night on Earth on Netflix, looks stunning on OLED (and surely in higher LEDs too).
Hmmm, well I only played HDR games so far. Maybe it's different for SDR games. I'll throw on Hollow Knight in a bit.

Jun 4, 2019
Here’s more info:

I’m talking about the large screen notifications, which you can turn off, but change the screen content in a large area. The noise pattern should be sufficient though.
I'm gonna make sure that whenever I go for a short break, to walk the dog, make dinner etc, I'll just turn it off, just to be sure. If I know I'll be back in less than 5 minutes I'll trust the Xbox screen dimmer to do its thing.

As for OLED panel settings. Do I ever use the pixel refresher? Screen shift is enabled I see. And last but not least.....logo luminance? It's at low in HDR game mode.

Kinggroin

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Yeah I can't agree. I know I'm in the minority, but I found it to be a smeary, inconsistent presentation. Some of the day shots were ok, and the technology which allowed for night viewing was impressive, but overall I found it to be rather disappointing as far as tech demos go, especially given the praise.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Finally bought an Integral 2 to replace my Linker. But I'm having a serious problem. When I launch the Integral 2 Total Control app to control it with my GoBlue I get this error message:

Warning
Integral 2 unplug now.
GoBlue v1.62 (GUI v2.33)

I updated both the GoBlue and the Integral2 to the newest firmware. I've tried plugging the goblue and integral 2 into the power brick, my tv, and my computer. No change.

EDIT: Figured it out. For anyone who may find this in a Google search and need help the issue is the Y-cable the Integral 2 comes with. You're not suppose to plug the free USB end labeled "PSU" into the GoBlue, but the USB at the split that says "PC." Additionally, just plugging that one USB into the TV isn't enough power. You can either plug it into the included power adapter, or instead you can plug the second "PSU" usb cable into a second USB port on your TV and that gives enough power.

Last edited:

Adryuu

Oct 27, 2017
(Posted this previously in a wrong thread lol)

Is this site accurate?

I've found that info trying to learn more about that set I'm thinking of buying. I've seen several sites stating it's 50 Hz but there it says 50/60 Hz. How can it be both and why would any set released in 2019 be 50 Hz? Does it mean it supports a 50 Hz signal from European television (TDT) but the set natively works at 60?

Also it says 8 bit + FRC; Is that a bad thing, do real 10 bit panels exist, and what's the difference? I mean, it's already an IPS, if it doesn't have pure 10 bit image processing why does it even support every HDR type, what's the point?

Thank you if whoever answers.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I can't agree. I know I'm in the minority, but I found it to be a smeary, inconsistent presentation. Some of the day shots were ok, and the technology which allowed for night viewing was impressive, but overall I found it to be rather disappointing as far as tech demos go, especially given the praise.
Completely agree. I was let down by the IQ. Found way better nature stuff on youtube without hdr.

and i watched on an E9.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

It looks good but I think Our Planet is a way better show piece than Night on Earth. NoE has way too many grey scenes that don't really take advantage of oled.

Hasney

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Netflix compression really does it no favours. Hopefully they get a better bitrate out one day

Samurai G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Denver, CO
On slick deals i see that the Vizio Class 4k uhd quantum M-Series M556-G4 is on sale for $358 at walmart. anyone have this set and could give their impressions on it?

Mega Man X

Oct 25, 2017
ATTN: Samsung Q70/80/85/90R owners

So as far as Freesync performance is concerned, how many of you notice/experience this “ghosting“ issue?

Some of these users are mentioning blue/purple ghosting artifacts when freesync is turned on. I’m unfamiliar withVRR in general and don’t really know if this is normal but this would be a dealbreaker for me. I’d really like to try one of these displays.

Thanks for any input.

Abdel

Mar 11, 2019
ATTN: Samsung Q70/80/85/90R owners

So as far as Freesync performance is concerned, how many of you notice/experience this “ghosting“ issue?

Some of these users are mentioning blue/purple ghosting artifacts when freesync is turned on. I’m unfamiliar withVRR in general and don’t really know if this is normal but this would be a dealbreaker for me. I’d really like to try one of these displays.

Thanks for any input.
I mentioned already few pages back that VRR on these sets causes ghosting also with my 75q70r. Turning it off fixes it for me and I am very happy with the gaming performance (input lag, upscaling, picture quality) of the TV so I am fine without it.

I also mentioned that I would not buy these TV for this feature (VRR) when having next gen console in mind since it is only supported for resolutions up to 2560 x 1440 for the TVs without a one connect box (according to the manual). And of those mentioned only the 90R is with a one connect box which support VRR up to 4K apparently.

If VRR is a must, and like me you dont want the possible issues that OLEDs have, I would wait for the 2020 models, for example the Sony X900H seems to be ticking many boxes as a TV for next gen consoles with 4K at 120fps and hdmi 2.1. Although the 2019 led models with local dimming had bad subtitle blooming compared to the samsung models, not sure how the 2020 models will compare in features.

Last edited:

Mega Man X

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned already few pages back that VRR on these sets causes ghosting also with my 75q70r. Turning it off fixes it for me and I am very happy with the gaming performance (input lag, upscaling, picture quality) of the TV so I am fine without it.

I also mentioned that I would not buy these TV for this feature (VRR) when having next gen console in mind since it is only supported for resolutions up to 2560 x 1440 for the TVs without a one connect box (according to the manual). And of those mentioned only the 90R is with a one connect box which support VRR up to 4K apparently.

If VRR is a much, and like me you dont want the possible issues that OLED has, I would wait for the 2020 models, for example the Sony X900H seems to be ticking many boxes as a TV for next gen consoles with 4K at 120fps and hdmi 2.1.
Nice, thanks for the info. I didn’t know that about Sony’s new models. Kind of sucks to hear about the ghosting but it is what it is. So in my situation, I actually have a 65” C9 I got from Costco and while it’s a fantastic display, I don’t know if it will be quite right for my use case. While I am a Movie fan, I’m more into gaming of all eras. I would also like to watch twitch streams, play a lot of 4:3 content and maybe even use the screen as pc monitor. I just have a feeling that’s not right for oled, as fantastic as the image is, due to uneven pixel wear. I already have a 55” B6 with around 9500 hours on it and it does have the YouTube app logo and yellow search button burned in the screen. I still like the B6, it has an excellent picture and the only reason I wanted an a new display now is because of the size.

I could get the 65” Q70 for around $1000 which is half of the OLEDs price and that’s why it is super tempting. I read it kind of has a problem with black crush but I’m already kind of used to that with the B6. I had a X950 for about a week and kind of liked most of it besides the blooming, lack of 2.1 features and contrast. The darker corners, while I didn’t like, didn’t bother me as bad as I thought and I did like how uniform white was! The processing was excellent and I already know I like Sonys overall image so the new models sound intriguing. I don’t mind paying for quality but I have a feeling I’m going to want to upgrade in 12-24 months anyway so spending $1000 will hurt less than $2000.

Gotta love TV shopping!

Last edited:

Abdel

Mar 11, 2019
Nice, thanks for the info. I didn’t know that about Sony’s new models. Kind of sucks to hear about the ghosting but it is what it is. So in my situation, I actually have a 65” C9 I got from Costco and while it’s a fantastic display, I don’t know if it will be quite right for my use case. While I am a Movie fan, I’m more into gaming of all eras. I would also like to watch twitch streams, play a lot of 4:3 content and maybe even use the screen as pc monitor. I just have a feeling that’s not right for oled, as fantastic as the image is, due to uneven pixel wear. I already have a 55” B6 with around 9500 hours on it and it does have the YouTube app logo and yellow search button burned in the screen.

I could get the 65” Q70 for around $1000 which is half of the OLEDs price and that’s why it is super tempting. I read it kind of has a problem with black crush but I’m already kind of used to that with the B6. I had a X950 for about a week and kind of liked most of it besides the blooming, lack of 2.1 features and contrast. The darker corners, while I didn’t like, didn’t bother me as bad as I thought and I did like how uniform white was! The processing was excellent and I already know I like Sonys overall image so the new models sound intriguing. I don’t mind paying for quality but I have a feeling I’m going to want to upgrade in 12-24 months anyway so spending $1000 will hurt less than $2000.

Gotta love TV shopping!
I have not really experienced bad black crush with the Q70 (there probably can be with specific scenes due to the local dimming and led backlight), but it is at least much less, compared to the q80 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9OlRHg_o0o). What I would take into consideration is the viewing angles, they are not bad but not good either compared to the higher models and especially the Q90R.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got ARC working on my setup. Just had to reset and only had the TV plugged into the receiver to start with. Works great now.

How much blooming is expected on a 900F? I have noticed it, but I think it should be pretty easy to ignore. I have been watching part 3 of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and the blooming has seemed worse while watching using the TV app compared to watching it on a PS4.

aka Bueno

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got ARC working on my setup. Just had to reset and only had the TV plugged into the receiver to start with. Works great now.

How much blooming is expected on a 900F? I have noticed it, but I think it should be pretty easy to ignore. I have been watching part 3 of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and the blooming has seemed worse while watching using the TV app compared to watching it on a PS4.
It depends on how much blooming bothers you, Sabrina Netflix was one of the first examples where it annoyed me too much lol. It’s really bad in a lot of scenes in that series. Blooming is probably the worst part of the 2018/19 Sony dimming sets, compared to other brands. It excels in other areas, but blooming is def not one. They just have very small amount of dimming zones compared to the other brands. The TVs internal Netflix would have Dolby Vision while the PS4 version doesn’t, maybe that’s the difference? That and possibly different TV settings per input.

Glad you got your ARC working though!

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh it could be the Dolby Vision in that case. It's not terrible so I think I will get used to it. Overall I have been really happy with the display. Been watching some HRD/4K demos on youtube and have been really impressed.

Jun 4, 2019
I have set my Xbox One screen dimmer to two minutes. I can definitely depend on that option, right? One it dims the TV, it will prevent JR/burn in? For the C9 by the way.

DanWENS

Nov 14, 2019
For years I've been using 4:2:2 12bpc in windows to play HDR games on my PC. But recently I found out that the C9 can show the hdmi source data it is displaying (go to menu>channel > press 11111 on the controller, then go to HDMI mode and press OK), so I noticed that my TV is displaying 422 8bits. If I change it to 420 12bpc in NVCP it shows 12bits on the TV while I am in the windows desktop, but once I open any game the image goes all purple.
Can anyone explain why this happens? Could it be my hdmi cable? Or is actually [email protected] only possible with hdmi 2.1?
I asked a friend that also has the C9 to test it, and he had the same results.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
On slick deals i see that the Vizio Class 4k uhd quantum M-Series M556-G4 is on sale for $358 at walmart. anyone have this set and could give their impressions on it?
Looking at the specs, it's better than most entry level TV's, so it is a pretty good deal for sure. Just don't fool it with the proper M-series TVs, that have much higher brightness and much more local dimming zones.

Abdel

Mar 11, 2019
Nice, thanks for the info. I didn’t know that about Sony’s new models. Kind of sucks to hear about the ghosting but it is what it is. So in my situation, I actually have a 65” C9 I got from Costco and while it’s a fantastic display, I don’t know if it will be quite right for my use case. While I am a Movie fan, I’m more into gaming of all eras. I would also like to watch twitch streams, play a lot of 4:3 content and maybe even use the screen as pc monitor. I just have a feeling that’s not right for oled, as fantastic as the image is, due to uneven pixel wear. I already have a 55” B6 with around 9500 hours on it and it does have the YouTube app logo and yellow search button burned in the screen. I still like the B6, it has an excellent picture and the only reason I wanted an a new display now is because of the size.

Gotta love TV shopping!
An update on the black crush, it is completely absent from dark ps4 games in gamemode (because there is the option to set dynamic black equalizer, I deactivated auto mode and found it best to set it at plus 1) but from the native netflix app the black crush is present in some darker scenes in series such as Van Helsing (for example those found in Season 1 Episode 5).

I am curious how it faires with other TVs since I assume this is an extreme case, because other darker series are nowhere near as "bad".

Mega Man X

Oct 25, 2017
An update on the black crush, it is completely absent from dark ps4 games in gamemode (because there is the option to set dynamic black equalizer, I deactivated auto mode and found it best to set it at plus 1) but from the native netflix app the black crush is present in some darker scenes in series such as Van Helsing (for example those found in Season 1 Episode 5).

I am curious how it faires with other TVs since I assume this is an extreme case, because other darker series are nowhere near as "bad".
Cool, nice info. I’m close to picking up a Q70 I think. Just have to make a final decision between the Q70 or spend $600 more for the Q80. Really want the Q90 but I feel it’s a bit overpriced.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
(Posted this previously in a wrong thread lol)

Is this site accurate?

I've found that info trying to learn more about that set I'm thinking of buying. I've seen several sites stating it's 50 Hz but there it says 50/60 Hz. How can it be both and why would any set released in 2019 be 50 Hz? Does it mean it supports a 50 Hz signal from European television (TDT) but the set natively works at 60?

Also it says 8 bit + FRC; Is that a bad thing, do real 10 bit panels exist, and what's the difference? I mean, it's already an IPS, if it doesn't have pure 10 bit image processing why does it even support every HDR type, what's the point?

Thank you if whoever answers.
Yeah, displayspecifications.com is. legit as far as I know.

And yeah, that's a 60Hz display. The 50 is there for the reasons you yourself specified.

Kadey

Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
So when can we expect prices for the spring releases. It kind of seems LG is going to up the prices a bit with their stuff just because even though they said they aren't going to. Current sets keep jumping up and down in pricing so every day is a gamble. If the 48 CX is higher than $1600, then how can you say no to a 55C9 for like $1300-$1500.

Jun 4, 2019
Oh man, it's so good to be back with OLED. No more blooming, no subtitles that brighten up the picture constantly. What I do get is amazing picture quality all around. I'm knocking on wood for no issues, because this could be the perfect screen then in my opinion.

It helps, but you’re not going to get burn in by leaving the tv on a static screen for a few minutes.
That's very true, but I still very much appreciate the option on Xbox and rather be safe than sorry. I rather be a little too safe than not. ;)

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, it's so good to be back with OLED. No more blooming, no subtitles that brighten up the picture constantly. What I do get is amazing picture quality all around. I'm knocking on wood for no issues, because this could be the perfect screen then in my opinion.

That's very true, but I still very much appreciate the option on Xbox and rather be safe than sorry. I rather be a little too safe than not. ;)
I had it at two minutes at first but it was too annoying because some games have cutscenes that are longer than two minutes and it would kick in too much.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Hi guys, my first post in this thread :D

I own a 49 LGLF5500 that I bought 5 or 6 years ago, and even though I know that it's not a good budget TV, it has done the basics to me. By the end of this year, as we're entering the consoles new generation, I'll buy a 4K TV.

That being said, my TV is showing some scanlines in the upper right corner, and I couldn't find any info or fix about this. Do you guys have any info about this problem ?

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Just got a whole year of Apple TV + for free
Never heard of it before. Is it any good?
In my books none of the shows are 8, 9, or 10/10's, but they're all 7's. I haven't watched the podcast one, but if you check out See, Servant, For All Mankind, and The Morning Show, you'll probably like at least one of them. Pretty good variety. I didn't take to Dickenson, but others did.

aka Bueno

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a whole year of Apple TV + for free
Never heard of it before. Is it any good?
Servant is...interesting. It never really hit its stride and got to the level we hoped it would after the twist revealed at the end of the first episode.

Mythic Quest is awesome though, just came out this Friday and it’s like Silicon Valley but with a game developers! It’s co-produced by Ubisoft too! I’m 4 episodes in and while it hasn’t hit Silicon Valley level of funny yet, it’s still entertaining and it’s 4th episode was really awesome (it kinda had nothing to do with the previous 3 episodes and seemed like a one off episode of another show at first, but was so well done and kinda touching and depressing).

Adryuu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, displayspecifications.com is. legit as far as I know.

And yeah, that's a 60Hz display. The 50 is there for the reasons you yourself specified.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured as much myself. I got a tv last night (not the one I linked but one with totally the same panel and different stand) and I didn't notice anything wrong with it at all.

Gotta use it a bit more and I'll guess I'll write some impressions here in case anyone was interested on it (the Philips 50PUS7504).

It's a shame the site doesn't list input lag for this set though so I had to take the bait and adventure myself into the unknown.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else sometimes find on their c9 that you launch an app (prime for me yesterday) and the arc Doesn’t kick in so you still get the audio for your previous source (cable box)? Had to turn the box off and on again to fix

also - how do I get the Apple TV app?