TV Displays and Tech Thread |OT2| There Is No Perfect TV ™ (Read The OP)

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
I went out with my parents this weekend and we got them everything they need for a nice 4k setup but I'm still getting everything setup just right and I'm having issues with ARC. The TV is a X900F and the AVR is a Sony STR-DH590. I have a cablebox, PS4, and a 4k blu-ray player all plugged straight into the amp. Then just the one high speed HDMI cable going from the amp to the ARC port on the TV. Everything works great except there is no sound when trying to use TV apps like YouTube or Netflix. From what I have seen I have every setting where it should be but it's still not working. Does anyone have experience with a similar setup that could point me in the right direction?

aka Bueno

Oct 25, 2017
I went out with my parents this weekend and we got them everything they need for a nice 4k setup but I'm still getting everything setup just right and I'm having issues with ARC. The TV is a X900F and the AVR is a Sony STR-DH590. I have a cablebox, PS4, and a 4k blu-ray player all plugged straight into the amp. Then just the one high speed HDMI cable going from the amp to the ARC port on the TV. Everything works great except there is no sound when trying to use TV apps like YouTube or Netflix. From what I have seen I have every setting where it should be but it's still not working. Does anyone have experience with a similar setup that could point me in the right direction?
Make sure you're going into the TV sound settings and changing speakers from TV to external. Also make sure you're using the right HDMI port on the TV, I think it was HDMI 3 that supported ARC on the 900f when I had it.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you're going into the TV sound settings and changing speakers from TV to external. Also make sure you're using the right HDMI port on the TV, I think it was HDMI 3 that supported ARC on the 900f when I had it.
That is all correct already unfortunately. I might just have to disconnect everything and just get ARC working before I hook up anything else.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
In image processing quality, yes, but not by leaps and bounds or anything. The improvement in image quality isn't enough to have to deal with the jankified Android OS.

In other news, I got a LG OLED 65" E9 from an authorized dealer through Greentoe for $2099. That's with tax & shipping. It'll get to me on Monday. I'm finally upgrading from my Panny VT60 plasma.
Nice.

Same tv I came from. Lasted you a good while.

Hasney

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might not be the thread for this, but looking for a second monitor. I'm wanting HDR and don't really want to pay the GSync module tax this go around, but GSync compatible doesn't work with HDR outside of the LG TVs... Or does it? I've seen workarounds posted, has anyone here successfully used any of these workarounds? Some around using 2 display port cables and things like that.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Looking at picking this TV up - https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/samsung/samsung-series-7-q75r-55-4k-uhd-qled-tv/363511/

Note that it's New Zealand Dollars, it's among the cheapest I've seen QLED/OLED TVs here.

Any thoughts on it? I'm a bit out of my depth with TVs.
another New Zealander!
That seems pretty damn cheap for a 75 inch. I’m still on the lookout for a new tv. I want Dolby Vision but I don’t think Samsung do Dolby vision. There’s always compromises though, and 75 inches would be pretty fantastic.
personally I’m hoping for a really good deal on a 65” Panasonic oled.

seeing that Panasonic just left the Australian market is pretty worrying though. I havent heard anything about them leaving Nz, but they must be pretty much the same market.

Adryuu

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Era. The other day I was just passing by a local electronics chain which was on no-vat days and happened to look at tv prices and models. Not that it's a big mistake (I was set in not getting a tv until maybe black Friday or next year) but I recently had got a certain one time plus on my January salary and figured why not, looking at prices don't hurt. So I realized it looks like a disaster discerning what is good for me and how to decide on a set right now.

But I want to learn about current and potential sets for a purchase to be made maybe soon or not that soon.

Budget: ludicrous (ideally less than 400 EUR, maybe up to less than 500).

Preferred size range: probably about 49-50 seeing as the immediate lesser is only 43. I'm on a 1080p 32 inches set and it's definitely small for our preference.

Usage: games games (xbox one X) games (ps4 standard) Netflix games Amazon video games occasional film (maybe even 4k blu-ray, for sure more once we have a decent 4k tv) some everyday tv which is far far away from hdr and 4k in my country (not even 1080 most of the time).

Room conditions (currently): there are two of us and usually we sit on the same couch at maybe 2m more or less (maybe ideally more if tv allows, I tend to get closer so I can fucking read subtitles on my games), games I play on my own mostly. I guess two people watchIng films together is not a problem for current VA panels (I hope?). I like to play in dim light conditions but not in total darkness or almost, if that matters for / helps with appreciating good hdr in sets with cheaper/bad hdr solutions.

Some friend recommends LG but those are IPS and some say it's not good image/colors/contrast. Others say Samsung but I don't thing edgelit LCD is really a good idea.

I really have no clue.

Plus, hdmi 2.1 should be a concern point in my price range this year? I have my doubts there will ever be modest quality sets with VRR/120hz and such capabilities in that price range. Ideas?

Preferences: I'd really like a set that makes colors and contrast/blacks/darker scenes look good with as low input lag as possible in that price range (I know, probably hard to find both, so maybe a balanced set). Maybe not have to up a lot of gamma in games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider every time I enter a cave to see shit while not having it look ugly and washed out.

Current tv: Sony Bravia KDL-32S560

Pls halp :)

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
another New Zealander!
That seems pretty damn cheap for a 75 inch. I’m still on the lookout for a new tv. I want Dolby Vision but I don’t think Samsung do Dolby vision. There’s always compromises though, and 75 inches would be pretty fantastic.
personally I’m hoping for a really good deal on a 65” Panasonic oled.

seeing that Panasonic just left the Australian market is pretty worrying though. I havent heard anything about them leaving Nz, but they must be pretty much the same market.
It’s only the 55 for that price, picked it up today though and I’m happy so far.

Quite a lot of Waitangi deals so it’s a good weekend to be looking!

niall

Oct 30, 2017
Plus, hdmi 2.1 should be a concern point in my price range this year? I have my doubts there will ever be modest quality sets with VRR/120hz and such capabilities in that price range. Ideas?

Preferences: I'd really like a set that makes colors and contrast/blacks/darker scenes look good with as low input lag as possible in that price range (I know, probably hard to find both, so maybe a balanced set). Maybe not have to up a lot of gamma in games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider every time I enter a cave to see shit while not having it look ugly and washed out.

Current tv: Sony Bravia KDL-32S560

Pls halp :)
The cheapest TV I know of that fufills all your wants is the LG B9, but unless you get a really good deal it's still a bit out of your price point. Maybe when the new LG BX model comes out later this year, you might be able to get a B9 on sale.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
So after owning the 65" C9 LG OLED for about 2-3 weeks I decided to pack it up and take it back tonight. My particular set had outstanding uniformity and was just about perfect. I was coming off of a 2018 Samsung 75" Q9FN which had great uniformity as well and of course the HDR was nice and bright. The C9, was really great as well. The improvement of the HDR over the 2017 65" E7 LG OLED is a massive improvement. In the few games and movies I test with, the HDR difference between the 2017 OLED LG's and the 2019 is a pretty good jump. Of course the HDR in the Samsung is a good step above the C9. It was a great TV....but just could not keep it.

With that said, when I took back the 65" C9 to Best Buy, I did talk the Store Manager to honor the price of the TV I was interested in due to it was on sale last week and it went back up in price. So the good news is that I got $500.00 off on the new TV that I ordered and will be delivered on Monday. Going between arguably the best OLED in the 65" C9 and having one of the better 2018 LCD's in the Samsung Q9FN....It was a pretty easy decision on what to get to replace the 65" C9 being that HDR is very important. So I ended up with the.....
The 2019 77" C9!!!! LOL. Yup, just going up in size from the 65" to the 77". Wife and I have been budgeting to do our Backyard in our new home and we have been saving outside of getting the 65". While I did love the 65" coming off of the 75" Samsung, even though my seating position is pretty close (I did move the sofa about a 1' closer and the 65" sat about 6" closer to the sofa) I figured it would be fine. But with our budgeting and saving, my Wife said we should be able to pull off the 77" without an issue. The Store Manager happened to be near the front and I just asked about the $500 discount since the 77" was $4999.99 just last week. I already knew all retailers, including Costco had put the price back up to $5499.99, but he did it for me. The other great news was that the 2 year warranty was $729.99 at the $5499.99 but at the $4999.99 adjusted price, the Warranty went down to $499.99....so it ended up working out great for us. I should have it sometime Monday evening. I am just going to pray to the screen uniformity gods that I get a clean set. The 65" was just flat out fantastic. I checked it out with all my select games, movies and TV shows that makes it easy for me to see issues and it was very clean. I just hope the same for the 77" when it arrives.

Adryuu

Oct 27, 2017
The cheapest TV I know of that fufills all your wants is the LG B9, but unless you get a really good deal it's still a bit out of your price point. Maybe when the new LG BX model comes out later this year, you might be able to get a B9 on sale.
Thanks but that's a 1000+€ oled right? Yeah I wish I could get an oled. I just want a decent budget lcd with not horrible input lag, I guess. Ahhh and maybe 50 is too much and I should go for 43 inches. For size, not price, but I suppose it helps with price too.

sector4

Oct 25, 2017
I had the same issue when I got a Sony TV. There is a specific setting you need to turn on in audio settings. I don't think that you will find it under general, and might need to find a separate settings page. It's also not clearly labelled, but I remember it having three options, and only one would allow 5.1 to be sent via ARC from in built apps like Netflix. See if you can find that, also sorry I can't be more specific, it's been about 4 years since I had to do that, and no longer have that TV.

DanWENS

Nov 14, 2019
Does grey uniformity on OLED gets better over time?
I did the grey test on my C9 (should have not done that) and actually my TV has a very good uniformity, close to the one rtings had for their review. But even so I can see a vertical colum, on the right, which is about 1/4 of the size of the TV. On dark scenes like at night in RDR2, I can see it. Good that it is at the side, and not at the middle of the screen. My TV is new, not more than 15h of use. So should I expect it to get better, or should I just live with it?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Apple TV should be here now for LG 2019 sets. Supports Dolby vision and channels. I expect it won’t have up next though (or will limit the content to its own stuff) as it won’t have ways to link to other catch up services like it does on iOS/tvOS

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
I had the same issue when I got a Sony TV. There is a specific setting you need to turn on in audio settings. I don't think that you will find it under general, and might need to find a separate settings page. It's also not clearly labelled, but I remember it having three options, and only one would allow 5.1 to be sent via ARC from in built apps like Netflix. See if you can find that, also sorry I can't be more specific, it's been about 4 years since I had to do that, and no longer have that TV.
Thanks. I will take a look around after work today.

Jun 4, 2019
Awwwww shiiiiiiiiit! Tomorrow's about to be lit. The 65 inch C9 will be delivered tomorrow.

Earlier this week Samsung came to pick up the Q9FN here, I then had to pay the store a little bit extra so I can get the C9 instead. Looking forward to it.

Adryuu

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have or know the Philips «The One»? Aka Philips PUS7304 or 7354?

Supposedly, the 43'' model is an IPS but still good image quality, and I can get one for 430€ but I don't know how it really performs or if it's horrible for hdr gaming...

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
It kept buffering down to a lower quality for me (Apple TV 4k + wired gig connection).
I have 100MBit through Spectrum (Charter) cable. You could only get HDR with an Amazon Fire TV. It was incredible. The Fireworks were super bright and colorful. I could see blades of grass on the field. Flawless execution by them for me.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I have 100MBit through Spectrum (Charter) cable. You could only get HDR with an Amazon Fire TV. It was incredible. The Fireworks were super bright and colorful. I could see blades of grass on the field. Flawless execution by them for me.
I only watched the 4k feed through my ATV and the stream was perfect running off of my wifi. Same ISP and speed that you have.

Jun 4, 2019
For the C9 users here....

What are the things I need to know? It's been like three or four years that I had the B6, after that I had Sony 930e and Samsung Q9FN. OLED is a different beast.

Do I need to enable settings for HDR or for screen burn in/IR protection? What is the stuff I absolutely need to enable?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I did the grey test on my C9 (should have not done that) and actually my TV has a very good uniformity, close to the one rtings had for their review. But even so I can see a vertical colum, on the right, which is about 1/4 of the size of the TV. On dark scenes like at night in RDR2, I can see it. Good that it is at the side, and not at the middle of the screen. My TV is new, not more than 15h of use. So should I expect it to get better, or should I just live with it?
It might improve as the screen does the compensation cycles (mine did) but if it doesn't then just don't sweat it. It's not something you'll notice much if you aren't looking for it.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I only watched the 4k feed through my ATV and the stream was perfect running off of my wifi. Same ISP and speed that you have.
You guys used the Fox Sports App? Idk, it kept buffering and adjusting often as I said before. And because I'm guessing I couldn't watch it in HDR because I didn't use a Firestick, the picture seemed to be a bit darker. Maybe that was because trying to compensate for HDR in SDR, idk.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
You guys used the Fox Sports App? Idk, it kept buffering and adjusting often as I said before. And because I'm guessing I couldn't watch it in HDR because I didn't use a Firestick, the picture seemed to be a bit darker. Maybe that was because trying to compensate for HDR in SDR, idk.
Yeah it was through the fox sports app. The picture looked fantastic on my end, it really felt like I wasn't missing much from the HDR feed because it looked that good.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn I didn't realize I could have checked it out in UHD. I figured I'd need a service that explicitly supported it and I use Youtube TV.

Hasney

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is lack of hdr on Apple 4k TV for the fox broadcast a hardware issue? Seems like a new model might be coming.

Wouldn't mind an included atsc 3.0 tuner included as well in the new model.
No, at least I don't think so when Netflix/Vudu/Amazon etc all support 4k/DV/HDR10.
It actually might be hardware. Live broadcast HDR so far has actually been HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and this has been what the BBC used at Wimbledon on their tests. This is because it can provide an SDR and HDR picture on the same signal. Apple TV does not support HLG.

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
I have 2 of the 4K's right now. Would gladly upgrade at least one to the new version if it launches anytime soon.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
It actually might be hardware. Live broadcast HDR so far has actually been HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and this has been what the BBC used at Wimbledon on their tests. This is because it can provide an SDR and HDR picture on the same signal. Apple TV does not support HLG.
Fox was able to provide an HDR10 broadcast (converted from HLG) for Amazon Fire Stick users, so I'm not sure what got in the way of them providing the same for Apple TV users.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Is anyone here using a C9 (or LG OLED) as a gaming monitor? Really trying to figure out if I should buy a C9 or CX as a gaming monitor instead of an actual “monitor.”

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Fox was able to provide an HDR10 broadcast (converted from HLG) for Amazon Fire Stick users, so I'm not sure what got in the way of them providing the same for Apple TV users.
I actually got the impression from the articles I read that they provided an HLG broadcast to the Fire Tv and the FireTV converted it to HDR10.

AppleTV apparently doesn’t allow a stream to be modified in the API.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Mine improved quite a bit. It took a while, I think until +100h it keep changing lol It was always barely noticeable though.

The monster has arrived!
Congrats! Enjoy mounting that beast now...lol

Jun 4, 2019
Mine improved quite a bit. It took a while, I think until +100h it keep changing lol It was always barely noticeable though.

Congrats! Enjoy mounting that beast now...lol
First I'm gonna put it on the TV cabinet because I don't trust these walls, think they are too thin. So far all TVs in this house have been sitting on the TV table/furniture. And if it so happens that you get issues and repair service needs to come over, it's better that way.

That being said, if I finally have ended up with a TV without issues or at least,....issues you just can't accept I might try to find someone who can check if these walls could handle the weight. Because mounting sure looks awesome.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Depends. Some sets might improve over time, but that's no guarantee yours will. I've had my C8 since April of last year, and it has 1354 hours and its uniformity issue hasn't changed one bit. It's similar to how you are describing yours, except mine is a thick pillar on the left side, and if you were to divide the TV into thirds, it would be on the left segment. Not quite the middle, but not really off to the side, and it's extremely noticeable on lower quality shows in a dark scene, and especially bad in a gray scene. I can't actually notice it during good HDR sources though most of the time, and that includes dark scenes. Can't say I've actually noticed it in any games yet on PC either.

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
First I'm gonna put it on the TV cabinet because I don't trust these walls, think they are too thin. So far all TVs in this house have been sitting on the TV table/furniture. And if it so happens that you get issues and repair service needs to come over, it's better that way.

That being said, if I finally have ended up with a TV without issues or at least,....issues you just can't accept I might try to find someone who can check if these walls could handle the weight. Because mounting sure looks awesome.
I work as a structural engineer, the weight of a tv is not anywhere near enough to collapse a 2x4 stud wall. Just make sure you use a stud finder when locating where to nail in so it is not just supported on drywall.