Tiger King on Netflix - exotic animal owners are weird

YoungGunsII

Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
I just binged the whole series today. And man, what an insane ride! Afterwards I recommended it to a friend, and when trying to describe the premise, I felt like Bill Hader's SNL character Stefon
"So. You know that thing, when a man owns 200 tigers, marries two other men at the same time, shoots assault rifles and blows shit up in his backyard, runs for president and governor, and gets charged with hiring a hitman?"

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I just binged the whole series today. And man, what an insane ride! Afterwards I recommended it to a friend, and when trying to describe the premise, I felt like Bill Hader's SNL character Stefon
"So. You know that thing, when a man owns 200 tigers, marries two other men at the same time, shoots assault rifles and blows shit up in his backyard, runs for president and governor, and gets charged with hiring a hitman?"
What mission of GTA is this?

T0MBraider

Mar 4, 2020
I think the biggest take away for me is the US needs more regulations. Half this shit wouldn’t have been able to happen in most developed countries. Things like paying your employees $130 a week, ridiculous gun laws, getting ahold of expired Walmart meat and then of course all the dodgy handling of animals. These backyard zoos are crazy

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Joe is a moron. He got setup but had years of death threats to make people not even second guess it. He’s also a huge piece of shit for making Travis’ funeral about him. It’s not a stand up, have some fucking respect.
dude i was telling my roommate that Joe totally made that funeral about him singing one of his shitty songs or whatever and telling non-funny jokes but he said i was having a bitch eating crackers moment lol.

that's not to say he was never really hurt by it, he definitely was and we all grieve differently, but there were definitely moments where he milked it for attention. classic narc shit.

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
If Joe was euthanizing animals that didn't need to be put down or that became ill due to negligence, he was right there working with the guy, he could have blown the whistle or quit. It was sad seeing him in the last episode seeming drunk with a jug of smirnoff framed behind him.
he was completely haunted by it for sure.

some of these workers had a conscious but decided not to act.

sad.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
dude i was telling my roommate that Joe totally made that funeral about him singing one of his shitty songs or whatever and telling non-funny jokes but he said i was having a bitch eating crackers moment lol.

that's not to say he was never really hurt by it, he definitely was and we all grieve differently, but there were definitely moments where he milked it for attention. classic narc shit.
Is your roommate also a sociopath or something? What a weird comment.

That funeral was when Joe went from being somewhat endearingly eccentric to just a real piece of shit (granted I wasn't paying much attention to some of the earlier episodes when my wife started watching so maybe it was made clear before that). And inviting Travis' mom when he got married again almost immediately afterward, Jesus.

I mean, i could see McBride playing Joe but Nicolas Cage is way off the mark IMO
Not at all, Nic Cage is batshit insane himself, I'm sure he'd do an awesome job of playing Joe. He's played a crazy Southerner before too, just take his performance in Raising Arizona, work on the accent a bit, add the mullet, and he's most of the way there.

Last edited:

Espi

Oct 25, 2017

That is most definitely not a bitch eating crackers moment. There's a time and place for everything.

HotHamBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all, Nic Cage is batshit insane himself, I'm sure he'd do an awesome job of playing Joe. He's played a crazy Southerner before too, just take his performance in Raising Arizona, work on the accent a bit, add the mullet, and he's most of the way there.
Man, I don’t think he can actually play a real character anymore and Joe is a real character. Cage can only do weird, half-assed Cage shit now.

i just saw Color Out Of Space and I mean WOOF.

Cage is honestly no more than a marketing gimmick anymore. A living meme. He wouldn’t be playing Joe, he would be playing Cage dressed up like Joe.

even with a southern accent i don’t think he would have the right voice or mannerisms

Galifianakis, tho, talk about already being mostly there:

Last edited:

Commedieu

Nov 11, 2017
To be fair, he was a hypocrite too when you see the early footage shown in the last episode. He also abused animals, and lured straight dudes into relationships by loading them up on meth.
Joe or the drug kingpin??? I was talking about the drug kingpin.

Joe got busted for trying to murder someone. Not be there while someone is getting chopped up! Huge difference.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I don’t think he can actually play a real character anymore and Joe is a real character. Cage can only do weird, half-assed Cage shit now.

Cage is honestly no more than a marketing gimmick anymore. A living meme. He wouldn’t be playing Joe, he would be playing Cage dressed up like Joe.
Oh, I see what you mean, I haven't actually seen a movie with him for years. I do think he could do a great job with the role if he was passionate about it, but yeah, if he's in full phone-in-it mode best if someone else gives it a go.

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Is your roommate also a sociopath or something? What a weird comment.

That funeral was when Joe went from being somewhat endearingly eccentric to just a real piece of shit (granted I wasn't paying much attention to some of the earlier episodes when my wife started watching so maybe it was made clear before that). And inviting Travis' mom when he got married again almost immediately afterward, Jesus.
His point was always that Joe lacks any amount of self-awareness whatsoever and probably has no idea how to behave at a funeral which is likely true (the lack of impulse control, his addiction, acting out on delusions of grandeur--- the list goes on), but I didn't buy that as an excuse.

Commedieu

Nov 11, 2017

even with a southern accent i don’t think he would have the right voice or mannerisms

Galifianakis, tho, talk about already being mostly there:

his character frissbee was great on Reno 911.

Baked Pigeon

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I don’t think you could make this story up if you tried. What I just watched was a slow motion train wreck of egos mixed with meth. Also, there is something incredibly unsettling about Carole. She just puts off this calming and soothing evil vibe. Everyone backstabbing each other was sad but predictable. Everyone lost, especially the animals.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
After Joe’s political venture failed why was his campaign manager still working for him?
he was essentially joe's PR manager. my read is joe's foray into politics was 10% "i have a shot at this" and 90% "i'm getting coverage on late nite tv so how can i leverage this?"