Tiger King on Netflix - exotic animal owners are weird

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
What's interesting to me is that Joe has been inside cages with giant tigers/lions for decades and he never got seriously hurt. That seems incredible to me.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What's interesting to me is that Joe has been inside cages with giant tigers/lions for decades and he never got seriously hurt. That seems incredible to me.
The perfume on shoe-bit was so fucking scary to me. If you end up on the floor flailing in an environment like that, I don't think it'd take much for one of the cats to go by instinct.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
Just finished in practically a day, which is unheard of for me. What a ride. Carol laughing and joking every time the subject of
possibly murdering her husband
came up makes her seem like a nutcase.

Seems like the note at the end of a raid on Doc's zoo just a few months ago was to set up the possibility of a season 2.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
The perfume on shoe-bit was so fucking scary to me. If you end up on the floor flailing in an environment like that, I don't think it'd take much for one of the cats to go by instinct.
And that’s the only time in the series we see him in a cage with full grown cats. All the workers say he was just being paranoid and that tiger was just interested in him that day. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had more than a few encounters with the full grown tigers and that’s why he carried a loaded gun. He used it during that encounter.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
That was absolutely scary and I wonder how many of those types of situations happened. Seems to me that if that were a normal occurrence, he wouldn't be alive right now. It seems like the animals trusted him.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
That was absolutely scary and I wonder how many of those types of situations happened. Seems to me that if that were a normal occurrence, he wouldn't be alive right now. It seems like the animals trusted him.
It’s hard to know. All those Tigers were bred in captivity and probably had been for generations. From some of the workers there it seemed that over the years Joe became less and less involved in the daily lives of the animals.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Finished it last night. Everything that happens throughout the series is bat shit crazy. If someone told me this story without any previous knowledge I wouldn't believe them. Joe's
Presidential Campaign ad
is one of the greatest things I've ever watched.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Re: Carole

For most of the episode, I was thinking that it was a 50/50 chance that she killed her husband, but then they showed the will that she altered to have her husband say "In case I disappear..." and that clinched it. She did it.

Also what was crazier:

The woman getting her arm ripped off by a tiger or Joe's husband accidentally killing himself by trying to prove the gun wasn't loaded by sticking it to his head and pulling the trigger?

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Man, that was one wild ride. It just never stopped getting crazier.

No way Joe is the only one who ends up in prison. Jeff is one dodgy fucker, along with his whole crew and that creepy Doc character. They've all traded, killed and profited from animal cruelty. Fuck them all.

A lot of the interviews were weirdly candid. I honestly didn't expect
the hitman to get in a bathtub mid-interview for no clear reason.

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed this, it was crazy from start to finish.

Re-watched the Louis Theroux documentary featuring Joe afterwards and that was quite an interesting watch as well (didn't realise Joe was a former police officer, unless I just missed that part in the show). Probably the best clip from that is the one below:

Charsace

Nov 22, 2017
Really enjoyed this, it was crazy from start to finish.

Re-watched the Louis Theroux documentary featuring Joe afterwards and that was quite an interesting watch as well (didn't realise Joe was a former police officer, unless I just missed that part in the show). Probably the best clip from that is the one below:

ROFL this some comedy shit. Who ever gets the movie out based on this has a hit all wrapped up.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Shit is so fucking wild. I look at the episode count and I am like "Ah this is going to be padded, there is no way they can talk about a zoo keeper and a murder for hire plot for six episodes" Boy was I wrong. Everyone is insane. Seems like they can do a part 2 focusing entirely on Doc Antle and his compound.

muteKi

Oct 22, 2018
a sunken pirate ship
Re-watched the Louis Theroux documentary featuring Joe afterwards and that was quite an interesting watch as well (didn't realise Joe was a former police officer, unless I just missed that part in the show).
Despite talking a little about his history they didn't mention that (but I haven't gotten through all the series, just the first couple eps). When he talks about driving his car into a concrete barrier he was actually working as a cop at the time based on some cursory internet searching.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it last night and the only relatively sane people in entire thing seem to be the woman who lost her arm and the guy with prosthetic legs. The series was really fascinating but all of the zoo owners are legitimately terrible people and I hope they all go to jail like Joe did. What creeps!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the first 2 episodes.

The most normal of the animal people was the guy that used to be a drug dealer and murdered and mutilated the body of an informant.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the first 2 episodes.

The most normal of the animal people was the guy that used to be a drug dealer and murdered and mutilated the body of an informant.
And yet even he found himself with a menagerie of exotic animals just weeks after moving out, and has a wife with multiple closets filled with outfits for her monkeys.

Every single person who makes an appearance in this is so uniquely horrible. Saff might be the exception, but she chose to have her arm amputated rather than “let the media win” and make the zoo look bad by spending 2 years getting reconstructive surgery.

kaisere

Oct 25, 2017
Binged this entire thing yesterday, what a fucking wild ride. Not only can you not make this shit up but they had EVERYTHING on tape, so you watch it all first hand. Jeff Lowe even has the full 40 min version of that confrontation on youtube. its crazy.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
my jaw dropped at the end when they showed the statistics of captive cats in the US vs wild in the world. just completely unacceptable.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I am kind of speechless. Definitely a binge-worthy show. I'm grateful there wasn't a lot of obvious animal cruelty, apart from

when they pulled a newborn cub away from its mother with a metal pole, and the few incidents where the cats get a bit rough and the handlers get rough back.

Minishdriveby

Oct 25, 2017
Baskin might not have killed her husband but she’s still running as much of a grift as the cult leader. Put in unpaid years of 12 hour work to upgrade to a new shirt color? Jeeeeeesus.
Which is why this is just a piece of shit documentary made for scandal because now people are comparing a sex cult leader who brain washes young girls and makes them live in roach infested houses and breeds and euthanizes tigers to the animal sanctuary who's been in compliance with the USDA, doesn't breed cats, and who does have staff (not shown on camera because of the narrative they're trying to sell) + volunteers. Have you ever worked at any type of animal shelter? Because most of the staff are volunteers.

You have a series where you have everyone on camera calling this lady a bitch for 7 hours, it's no wonder why the perception of her is a monster.

Minishdriveby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to go ahead and say it... Joe's a good singer.
More than just good.
It wasn't even him singing. He paid someone to make those songs for him.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it all and it's quite the story. There's really not that many sane people in this doc. Joe Exotic makes for such a great tv. The whole scenario seemed something straight out of TCL except with more psychopathic tendencies.

Shambala

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Free the homie joe. I hope they find out the truth about Carole ex husband. That shit is shady as fuck. And she is creepy as fuck.

Shambala

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I really wanted to see what a tiger could do to bones. Like do they eat the whole cow leg or just the meat?
I mean even if she fed him to the animals, her property is so huge it’s like man where do you even begin to start searching for clues 🤷‍♂️. Plus that Jeff character is a real snake. Can’t wait to see what happens with him in the future.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Free the homie joe. I hope they find out the truth about Carole ex husband. That shit is shady as fuck. And she is creepy as fuck.
I love how they expose how shitty she was.

From not paying her employees, to the shitty condition of her zoo (which she makes money from) and then what happens to her husband.

That was well done.