Tiger King on Netflix - exotic animal owners are weird

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This show was a wild ride, I went from questioning how this was 7 episodes to asking how are there not 7 more episodes.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
This shit was insane! Finished it in 2 days. Best documentary I’ve seen in a while. That one dude who had the weird sex cult thing going on reminded me sooo much of PSH in The Master lol.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
What a ride. Absolutely hilarious, heartbreaking and bizarre. A menagerie of redneck addicts, cults of personality and ego. I really didn't think this doc could sustain 7 episodes when I watched the trailer but every single character in it kept me enthralled. Absolutely fantastic look into the world of exotic "pets" and lunatic "zoo" owners

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
This is some of the most bizarre shit I have ever seen and I'm only three episodes deep. The third episode in and of itself is basically a mini documentary inside of a documentary.

It's like the entire cast tries to out insane each other at every possible step.

Nora

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any animal cruelty in this, other than the obvious "these animals shouldn't be caged"? I just wanna know if this is gonna upset me or my partner.

JMeth

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Man finished watching it, there are no good guys here. Even Carole Baskin is a AA class ass hole going after Joe's parents and seemly killing her Husband. Just a whole trainwreck full of douche bags

Oct 26, 2017
Watching this and I could only think that Danny McBride should do a show about this where he is Doc Antle
That might be the best idea I’ve ever heard in my life

Finished the series tonight and it was spectacular. Incredibly depressing and I wish they spent more time dealing with Joe’s illegal sale of tigers, considering it’s one of the most despicable things he engaged in. But overall it was a very well made show and captivating throughout

JMeth

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Why are people similar to this guy legally allowed to keep wild animals? It's depressing

They aren't in most states and laws have changed enough on a federal level to make selling them pretty difficult now, but a few states still allow it on the grounds that prohibiting it strips citizens of personal freedom. Not into mammals but I use to keep and breed Reptiles to include Large Pythons and Varanids so I understand the attraction, but I and most comply with laws and I just completely got out of it once the p

Commedieu

Nov 11, 2017
It's a brilliant documentary. When they talk about the other exotic animal owner. They're literally talking about themselves. All of them.

The most decent guy I've seen so far and the most honest is the drug kingpin.

Rocketz

Oct 25, 2017
Ferndale, Michigan
Through episode 2 and it's nuts. These people are crazy.

The worker that came back in like a week or so to Joe's after what happened to her is something else.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up OP. This shit was indeed crazy, and really entertaining. Just absolutely bizarre.

Admiral Neon Elk

It's an anagram.
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any animal cruelty in this, other than the obvious "these animals shouldn't be caged"? I just wanna know if this is gonna upset me or my partner.
I don't recall much explicit cruelty.

There are a couple of events revealed later on that might be a bit upsetting.

Animal cruelty:
1. Off-Screen:
A building burns down which supposedly housed some alligators. Nothing graphic, but someone does suggest they must have boiled alive.

2. Off-Screen:
It is revealed that some of the cats were euthanized by gunshot, likely unnecessarily.

3. On-screen:
A person is grabbed and dragged on camera by a cat. He draws a pistol and shoots towards the animal. I couldn't tell if he hit it. The cat runs away.

Human violence:
1. On-screen, but blurred:
A woman's arm is severed by a cat.

2. Happens just off-screen:
A person accidentally shoots themself in the head and dies. Security camera footage shows a co-worker reacting.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
God that was fucking nuts. Every single character is a nutter in their own way. You couldn't make this up. Also the credits music sounds like that halo song.

She totally did it

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
The most decent guy I've seen so far and the most honest is the drug kingpin.
He was involved in gruesome murder.

The most decent person I thought was the girl who was mauled by a tiger. She truly loved the animals (as did many of Joe’s workers). She went back to work a week after having her arm amputated.

Oh, and for your enjoyment. This is fucking awesome. 😹

boredJonathan

Oct 27, 2017
The thing my wife and I couldn't figure out is that they said all of the reality TV footage was destroyed in a fire, but several times that footage - most notably the intro they shot of Joe on the throne - is actually shown in the documentary.

Oct 29, 2017
Space
The thing my wife and I couldn't figure out is that they said all of the reality TV footage was destroyed in a fire, but several times that footage - most notably the intro they shot of Joe on the throne - is actually shown in the documentary.
If they were in the process of selling it to networks, it was probably part of the sizzle reel. I imagine that got passed around and still existed.

Commedieu

Nov 11, 2017
He was involved in gruesome murder.

The most decent person I thought was the girl who was mauled by a tiger. She truly loved the animals (as did many of Joe’s workers). She went back to work a week after having her arm amputated.

Oh, and for your enjoyment. This is fucking awesome. 😹
Yeah, and he did his time for it. Isn't running a sex cult.. or some weird Scientology-esque shit. I just wanna find out why Joe was making the uh, off location call.... to confirm my rankings.

keysersöze

Oct 30, 2017
I mean... maybe? But that seems like a lot of work to go through, nor do the interactions seem fake or rehearsed (keep in mind these people are not actors) - plus some of it, like the staff member getting attacked and loosing their arm, seem _really_ hard to fake.
I meant specifically the tiger king shot. As for the rest of the shots like the person losing their arm I have no idea.I think it was just the reality show dudes footage that was burned, I think Joe had people filming him beside the show.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I meant specifically the tiger king shot. As for the rest of the shots like the person losing their arm I have no idea.I think it was just the reality show dudes footage that was burned, I think Joe had people filming him beside the show.
They said he was always on video.

Akahige

Oct 27, 2017

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I started this a few nights ago, on ep3 and yeah, this shit is bonkers. Fucking cat people are weird.

muteKi

Oct 22, 2018
a sunken pirate ship
Big Cat Rescue is probably the group that comes out of this looking the least bad but it's telling that even they have a life-destroying unpaid volunteerism program that takes like 5 years before anyone figures out what your name is. And no holidays. It's all pretty staggering and maybe a higher level of scumbaggery than you expect.

I mean, at least they're not breeding cubs for photo ops and then euthanizing them when they get too big. You can talk all you want about getting them off the endangered list, they're barely part of the ecosystem if they're all stuck in cages in semi-rural US.

Like the fact that each organization is fundamentally dishonest yet also very good at identifying and naming the flaws of all their associates or competitors, depending on how you view it, makes the dynamic here one of the best summaries of the flaws of capitalism that I could ever think of. Or, in a way, the American policial system under capitalism.

boredJonathan

Oct 27, 2017
Big Cat Rescue is probably the group that comes out of this looking the least bad but it's telling that even they have a life-destroying unpaid volunteerism program that takes like 5 years before anyone figures out what your name is. And no holidays. It's all pretty staggering and maybe a higher level of scumbaggery than you expect.

I mean, at least they're not breeding cubs for photo ops and then euthanizing them when they get too big. You can talk all you want about getting them off the endangered list, they're barely part of the ecosystem if they're all stuck in cages in semi-rural US.
The documentary touches on this a little bit, but Carol & Big Cat Rescue are hardly saints, especially when you look at their origins. They weren't doing tiger cub photo ops, but you could rent out a room to sleep in the same enclosure as some cougar cubs. Not exactly that different. Dateline even did a piece on it back in the day. (The documentary touches on the People magazine story, which this Dateline piece expands on)

(Yes, the channel this is linked from obviously has a bias, but I don't know that you could objectively paint Dateline with that same brush.)

muteKi

Oct 22, 2018
a sunken pirate ship
The documentary touches on this a little bit, but Carol & Big Cat Rescue are hardly saints, especially when you look at their origins. They weren't doing tiger cub photo ops, but you could rent out a room to sleep in the same enclosure as some cougar cubs. Not exactly that different. Dateline even did a piece on it back in the day. (The documentary touches on the People magazine story, which this Dateline piece expands on)

(Yes, the channel this is linked from obviously has a bias, but I don't know that you could objectively paint Dateline with that same brush.)
Yep. It's carny shit all the way down. None of these are what I'd think of as zoos, not really, and absolutely none of them as preserves

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017

Like the fact that each organization is fundamentally dishonest yet also very good at identifying and naming the flaws of all their associates or competitors, depending on how you view it, makes the dynamic here one of the best summaries of the flaws of capitalism that I could ever think of. Or, in a way, the American policial system under capitalism.
Is it volunteer if you have to pay to work there?

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Watched all seven episodes in one sitting, it was absolutely bonkers must watch television.

Pretty much every single person in this documentary was batshit crazy.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
We binged it over the weekend just gone, Joe is batshit insane but all of the others have a screw loose too especially Carol and Jeff, how Carol wasn't charged with killing her husband I'll never know. Has anything happened to Jeff? I got the feeling that he was being investigated too? I know the Doc's complex was raided last year.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The Chimps hugging each other at the end after 10 years was probably the saddest part of this for me.

None of these zoos seem particularly like good guys......quite fucked up, and now im a bit sad that this shit goes on.

Me thinks they all deserve to atleast be closed....those abusing the animals need prison.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
The Chimps hugging each other at the end after 10 years was probably the saddest part of this for me.

None of these zoos seem particularly like good guys......quite fucked up, and now im a bit sad that this shit goes on.

Me thinks they all deserve to atleast be closed....those abusing the animals need prison.
It seems like all the animals are abused in one form or another, that’s the sad thing. The big cats and cuter animals had to be bred and sold off just to make ends meet because they were uselsss as money makers once they got too big.

Shugdaddy

Dec 1, 2017
That was quite the show. The only positive seems to be that Joe gave his records to PETA which should lead to some action being taken.