This week marks the 4 year anniversary of Batman v Superman

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
Really loved this movie. Still love talking about it today with friends, and I hope we get to see the plot threads from BvS eventually make its way into the original version of Justice League that should have been out in theatres.

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never forget this interview quote from Snyder in 2008. The guy has no business around superheroes unless they are self created, then he is allowed to fuck them up all he wants.

Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could go back in time and make bets with people.

Which movie do you think would make more money: Batman and Superman in the same film for the first time leading up to a Justice League movie or, let's say, Guardians of the Galaxy.

AlteredBeast

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

1. TMNT '90
2. BvS Ultimate Cut
3. The Crow
In no order for me, top 5 would be:

BvS: UE
Watchmen: DC
Dark Knight
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Guardians of the Galaxy / Batman Begins

I enjoy other cape films, but the vast majority are forgettable trash.

Others I enjoy or really enjoy:

Avengers: Infinity War
Captain America: The First Avenger
Batman '89
Batman Returns
Iron Man
Man of Steel
Deadpool
Logan
Blade
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
X-men 2
X-men: DoFP

Ones that range between meh and total crap:

Aquaman
Civil War
Iron Man 2
Dark Knight Rises
Thor
Thor: The Dark World
All Hulk films
Captain Marvel
The other 3 Avengers films
Batman and Robin
X-men 3

That's pretty much the gist of it. I am sure I'm an outlier here, and that my list would be drastically different, but I'd rather live in a world with more BvS style films were made than more generic and forgettable crap.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I like this movie, but I'll also admit that it doesn't really work on several levels. It's more something where I like the philosophizing and theming and think Eisenberg's Lex Luther is a genius character in ways that were probably unintended by the filmmakers.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Still love this film. Gorgeous, unique, and interesting on multiple levels.

For better or worse, it'll be remembered for far longer than almost every other CBM.

compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Still love this film. Gorgeous, unique, and interesting on multiple levels.

For better or worse, it'll be remembered for far longer than almost every other CBM.
"Unique" and "interesting" does not make it good. Downsizing is unique and interesting but it's dour and boring. The film fails in several areas but because the ideas behind it it's excused and praised.

JayCB

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Absolute fucking train wreck of a movie, the only good thing that came from it was that legendary review thread, but its outweighed by the vile almost MAGA-ish fanbase it spawned on Twitter who harrassed anyone who had a bad word to say about it.

compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Or maybe some people think it's a great film regardless of its flaws. Whoa
But that's just it, if it has such glaring flaws that extend beyond nitpicking how can it be classified as great in their mind? It's because they were entertained by it, by the visuals and the ideas behind the dialogue, plot, and scenes themselves.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
What possible new opinion could the be for it?
Well, you have your traditional critical theories you could apply. Feminist theory, Marxist theory, Queer theory, Auteur theory, etc, there's plenty to choose from. Fuck, I wish someone would actually critically analyze it through an Auteur theory lens instead of blithely just calling Snyder an auteur. If not the story, maybe some actual critical analysis of Snyder's shot composition and why it works or doesn't work, his cinematography, how the music fits or doesn't fit.

Failing the more academic perspective, we can do more informal analysis too. Someone could maybe pick up on a new detail that people haven't noticed and come to a new conclusion based on the characters or even just speculate about dimensions that might not be true but could possibly be to provide new insight. Maybe something from the future movies that we use to retroactively get a better read or different spin on something. How about the contrasted depiction of parenthood in Shazam! vs the Kents, both taking in adopted orphans that end up being superheros and end up finding their biological parents. There's some parallels to compare and contrast. Anything? No?

Guess not. Okay, lets run through the greatest hits one more time....

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I knew I was in for a wild ride after the rollercoaster ride of emotions that was Man of Steel. It was a hot mess, the Ultimate Cut was far better.... yet I still thought they botched a massive opportunity.

When the best part of the film (Wonder Woman's intro. And thats in part due to the soundtrack score) is near the end of the film, that's a worry.

You can argue they were up against it with a bad script....... but when you have extremely wooden actors in the main roles, there's not a lot you can do to improve the end result.

Why yes, the director of Sucker Punch is a great choice to start a cinematic universe.
Sucker Punch is his best movie!

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I remember having a bit of a headache by the end of my screening, it was just too long and drawn out for me.

I don't have any strong opinion about the movie, but in retrospect, the funniest part of the whole ordeal was how desperately it tried to set up a cinematic universe, cramming in everything it could without any of the ryme (or talent) of the MCU.

Misunderstood cinematic masterpiece, yeah sure.

OrIok

Oct 12, 2019
Well, you have your traditional critical theories you could apply. Feminist theory, Marxist theory, Queer theory, Auteur theory, etc, there's plenty to choose from. Fuck, I wish someone would actually critically analyze it through an Auteur theory lens instead of blithely just calling Snyder an auteur. If not the story, maybe some actual critical analysis of Snyder's shot composition and why it works or doesn't work, his cinematography, how the music fits or doesn't fit.

Failing the more academic perspective, we can do more informal analysis too. Someone could maybe pick up on a new detail that people haven't noticed and come to a new conclusion based on the characters or even just speculate about dimensions that might not be true but could possibly be to provide new insight. Maybe something from the future movies that we use to retroactively get a better read or different spin on something. How about the contrasted depiction of parenthood in Shazam! vs the Kents, both taking in adopted orphans that end up being superheros and end up finding their biological parents. There's some parallels to compare and contrast. Anything? No?

Guess not. Okay, lets run through the greatest hits one more time....
I could, and almost have, write an entire thesis on the film, its themes, what I took from it and why I think it's among the best comic films ever made, but it's not worth it in the end because all I'll get in return is the usual chuckleheads responding with MARTHA because they think they're so smart and funny for latching onto a meme.

What's the point of defending a film I genuinely love to people completely uninterested in hearing what I have to say?

You've spent years writing 1000+ word posts about how much you hate the film yet haven't said anything new after your second.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Boring disappointment. but it has its moments. I honestly enjoyed alot of the Batman bits, killing be damned. It's still crazy to me that they hired Snyder to do Superman when it's so fucking obvious that he's a better fit for Batman.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed it then and enjoy it still. Movie has faults so do others. This movie actually tried something with it’s story. Can’t say the same for much of the genre.

Also casting was great. Gal and Affleck are great.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Did you expect anything different? I knew it was coming as soon as you posted those gifs in the dceu thread. It's very childish tbh.
Calling a terrible film a terrible film isn't childish, and commemorating one of the biggest swing-and-a-miss moments of modern blockbuster cinema is hardly "just to shit on it." People will study BvS and how it did literally everything wrong that it could have done wrong for decades. It's this generation's Ishtar or Heaven's Gate. Future film school students will puzzle endlessly over why a born second unit director like Zack Snyder was given free rein over WB's most valuable properties for three entire films before WB realized that letting an edgy dudebro turn its biggest heroes into borderline sociopaths wasn't what people wanted to pay to see.

Make no mistake, Patti Jenkins saved this fucking universe, in spite of Snyder's best efforts, and all the Snyder Cut weirdos can die mad about it.

bigstef71

Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Calling a terrible film a terrible film isn't childish, and commemorating one of the biggest swing-and-a-miss moments of modern blockbuster cinema is hardly "just to shit on it." People will study BvS and how it did literally everything wrong that it could have done wrong for decades. It's this generation's Ishtar or Heaven's Gate. Future film school students will puzzle endlessly over why a born second unit director like Zack Snyder was given free rein over WB's most valuable properties for three entire films before WB realized that letting an edgy dudebro turn its biggest heroes into borderline sociopaths wasn't what people wanted to pay to see.

Make no mistake, Patti Jenkins saved this fucking universe, in spite of Snyder's best efforts, and all the Snyder Cut weirdos can die mad about it.
Nope, it's childish.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The most hilarious part is the OP made the thread just to shit on it lol
I shit because I care.

This would have been an absolute dream realized. A fully alive, breathing, connected DC Universe-one rich with possibility and story. The DCAU was a template-proof that an audience was there and that these characters were beloved.

The one catch? The producers had to give a shit.

And they hired Zack Snyder.

They had Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. They had a Superman who was miserable. They skipped right to Doomsday.

Everything was gift wrapped for them and they went out of their way to ruin it. To spite fan’s love of the franchises. To try to be “edgy” for no other reason than to just do it.

It was a fucking failure and rightfully so. Until the people behind the scenes actually give a shit about DC Comics then I think we’re within our rights to call them out on it.

My apologies to the “fans” who care more about Zack Snyder than the actual characters themselves who have painted themselves into a corner for years and now have no recourse but to keep on defending this trainwreck else they have to admit they were wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't understand when people say "Ben Affleck was a good Batman"

Like, are people saying "Ben Affleck did a good job"? Because yeah, Ben Affleck is a good actor. Same way Henry Cavil is a good actor. Both of these actors could have portrayed incredible versions of these characters, but the material they were given is baffling and it's evident how hard they tried to walk them both back with Justice League.

The Martha scene is one of the most baffling things I've seen on film.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I could, and almost have, write an entire thesis on the film, its themes, what I took from it and why I think it's among the best comic films ever made, but it's not worth it in the end because all I'll get in return is the usual chuckleheads responding with MARTHA because they think they're so smart and funny for latching onto a meme.

What's the point of defending a film I genuinely love to people completely uninterested in hearing what I have to say?

You've spent years writing 1000+ word posts about how much you hate the film yet haven't said anything new after your second.
The point of it is to express yourself well for your own pleasure. I do it because I like doing it. I write 1000+ word posts all the time and if what I write isn't ignored, even then it's rarely responded to with the same detail and effort I put in. And the most annoying times are when people are putting in effort to reply to you in terms of word count, but for whatever do not accurately respond to your arguments because they have failed to comprehend them. That's the worst bit, it makes you want to tear your hear out correcting them, but most of the time they will refuse to be corrected.

So, yeah, if your motivation for writing long posts is so people can respond with merit, I'd say don't do it, because that's about a 1 in 50 reply, if your lucky.

As for me, I don't really remember when I stopped talking about BvS, but I think I did it around the time DC decided it was "nope-ing" out of the Snyder aesthetic. Regardless, however much repetition there was in my posts about how BvS is one of the worst films ever made, I'm pretty sure I thought up some new stuff post-second post since I can tell you my full reaction was still formulating then, and once it did, whatever repetition came out would have been in service to trying to find a new angle to view the film from, for better or worse. But I can absolutely tell you that in no way did I come out of the theater with my opinion fully formed.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
it was hilariously bad how they created the tension between batman and superman. batman as portrayed in this movie had very little reason to act the way he did.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Walter Chaw's review for the movie was right on the money.

There is an unbelievable amount of baggage to unpack in BVS. It bears mention that the third-act baddie looks just like a Cave Troll (WETA appears to be mainly good at making Cave Trolls) and acts just like Superman IV's pathetic Nuclear Man. It's totally meta and absolutely senseless. I described Man of Steel as a collection of trailers, and that's true again here. BVS is an unerring pastiche of who we are at this moment in time: scared, angry, violent, disjointed, poisoned by hiraeth (Batman keeps a Joker-defiled batsuit in a Plexiglas display case like a mad hobbyist), driven by emotion rather than logic, by ideologies rather than reason. It's polarized, xenophobic, hyper-sexualized, hyper-desensitized, and, in the final analysis, more than a little psychotic.

BVS is the inmates running the studio. And it's going to make a billion dollars. Maybe a billion-six. One of Wonder Woman's only lines is to label the last hundred years "a century of horrors." BVS is a visit to father confessor and obeisance to mother dominatrix. It'll make you feel like shit and you'll go back again, and again, and again, because it's what you deserve, isn't it, worm? I know this because it's what we all deserve.