The Nintendo PlayStation SNES CD-ROM Prototype is now up for Public Auction

How much will the prototype sell for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

metsallica

Oct 27, 2017
Figured this is as good as any of a place to ask: How would you go about selling a collector's item like?

I've got a pair of Labo Joy-Cons. From best I can find there's only about 50 in the world, and who knows how many of those are being used. I'd like to at least get something for them, but I don't really just want to put them up for any random person to buy. They're absolutely brand new. I don't really feel comfortable using them and I'm not the type of person to hoard them or display them. Right now they're just sitting in their box, inside a bag, inside a sealed bin. I thought about doing a giveaway of them so someone can enjoy them, but I dunno.
metsallica

Hope i mentioned you right because i remember reading how you were searching for these in another thread.
Wow, yeah, I've been looking for these ever since I learned about them. They're literally the holy Grail of my attempted complete joy-con collection. Jam, I'm absolutely interested and would love to take this to PMs. Thank you so much Stanicle!

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember hearing the owner wants to get 3 mil for it. I just don't see that happening.

I think it can get north of $100k making it the most expensive video game thing ever sold, but it's ceiling isn't much beyond that. Maybe 250k at the absolute high end.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
And just like that....the first two voting options are dead! Current bid is $145,000.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Can Heritage Auctions listings require bidders to prove they have the financial means to actually pay what they bid? Or is this likely going to get trolled?

Nanashrew

Oct 25, 2017
Best case scenario would be someone with the ability to dump its contents and then hand it to a museum.

I really hope the someone that buys it is dedicated to game preservation, and not some deep pocket comic book-like collector who wouldn't even know what to do with it or would keep it because they don't want to see it dumped or put in a museum. That kind of thing has happened before and it's how some obscure games are getting lost.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Best case scenario would be someone with the ability to dump its contents and then hand it to a museum.

I really hope the someone that buys it is dedicated to game preservation, and not some deep pocket comic book-like collector who wouldn't even know what to do with it or would keep it because they don't want to see it dumped or put in a museum. That kind of thing has happened before and it's how some obscure games are getting lost.
It’s already been dumped.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Would be nice if the ResetEra search function worked; would have saved me foolishly making a dupe thread on this!

Does anybody know what the current record for most expensive video game-related item is? This will surely smash it. I reckon around $500,000.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
This is 100% going to an extremely rich Nintendo collector and will never be seen again, it seems to come with the territory of being a rich collector that you never show off anything you own to anyone. Or take the necessary steps to backup and preserve it. On the bright side it has been documented better than we could have hoped for otherwise.

Last edited:

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, super cool, I’ll definitely be following this.

Lots of comic money moving into video games for speculation, so I’m guessing it’ll go between $500K-$1M to some rich comic dealer or collector. Probably going to sit in some fancy display room between an Action 1 and a Tec 27.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I think I remember hearing the owner wants to get 3 mil for it. I just don't see that happening.

I think it can get north of $100k making it the most expensive video game thing ever sold, but it's ceiling isn't much beyond that. Maybe 250k at the absolute high end.
It's already at $205,000 with 21 days to go, I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if it goes passed the $1m mark at least. I think $3m is absolutely achievable if there's a bidding war at the end.

FancyPants

Nov 1, 2017
Lol at these poll options. He already turned down an offer of 1.2 million dollars from a Norwegian collector.

DiipuSurotu

Oct 25, 2017
France
No, it would be Secret of Mana

These excerpts are kinda misleading. They make it sound like there was an actual source code, with bits that got deleted to fit into a cartridge. The reality is that the "cut content" was cut during the planning stage, well before anything was actually coded.

The interesting part however is that, during this planning stage, what we now call "Secret of Mana" was actually called Chrono Trigger and had time travel and Akira Toriyama onboard.

shark97

Nov 7, 2017
I lost a lot of interest once it was discovered to be just a basic snes with a cd rom slapped on. Think we would have all liked it to be some jazzed up, exciting chipset with more power.

Also all the people decrying selling it...pretty clear the family doesnt have money. 150k even can be life changing in that scenario.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Oh god dammit.

Palmer Luckey wants to buy it. I don't know who is outbidding him, but godspeed. I don't want that bigot owning it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Lol at these poll options. He already turned down an offer of 1.2 million dollars from a Norwegian collector.
Yeah I was gunna say I thought it was at least a 1 mil offer from that collector. He's really aiming high and I'm surprised that the poll had some VERY low listings. This is more rare than any gold/grey Nintendo World Championships or Stadium Events ever will.

FernandoRocker

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
México
Oh god dammit.

Palmer Luckey wants to buy it. I don't know who is outbidding him, but godspeed. I don't want that bigot owning it.
Fucking hell. Everyone but Palmer Luckey, please God.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most likely outcome is this get trolled and the seller is back to square one mulling over private bidder offers.

But that won't stop all the news sites from not even bothering to follow up.

Grunge_Hamster

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god dammit.

Gofund it now D:

LET'S BUY IT ERA!!!

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Palmer is probably just trolling.

"Hi, I'm an extremely wealthy public figure. Why are people outbidding me on this auction I want to buy?" Is not a thing that happens. Nobody is that dumb.

alstrike

Aug 27, 2018
310k already and there are still 3 weeks to go...

Oh I forgot the 20% Premium on top so it's 372k now.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, if this just appeared out of nowhere on this auction I would agree but it's already been well-documented. Don't really care anymore if it disappears in the void now.
Nah, this is such a key and rare artifact of gaming history that it shouldn't disappear into someone's private collection. Saying it's been well documented being good enough is short sighted.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What's funny is that, yeah, there's weeks to go on this. There is literally no need to raise the price now unless you are irresponsible with your own funds.

But that would describe him perfectly.

Cactuar

Nov 30, 2018
The interesting part however is that, during this planning stage, what we now call "Secret of Mana" was actually called Chrono Trigger and had time travel and Akira Toriyama onboard.
I don't know about this, because they would know if the game they were working on was Secret of Mana or not due to the fact that the game we call Secret of Mana is not a new IP. It's actually the sequel to Seiken Densetsu/FFA.

So one would assume they'd already have a name in mind (Seiken Densetsu 2), seeing that it's a sequel to Seiken Densetsu. The only scenario I could see what you said happening is if it's more of a Xenogears situation where it was originally pitched as Final Fantasy (In this case, Seiken Densetsu 2), but later became its on thing.

DiipuSurotu

Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't know about this, because they would know if the game they were working on was Secret of Mana or not due to the fact that the game we call Secret of Mana is not a new IP. It's actually the sequel to Seiken Densetsu/FFA.

So one would assume they'd already have a name in mind (Seiken Densetsu 2), seeing that it's a sequel to Seiken Densetsu. The only scenario I could see what you said happening is if it's more of a Xenogears situation where it was originally pitched as Final Fantasy (In this case, Seiken Densetsu 2), but later became its on thing.
What ended up as Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana was originally a new IP called "Chrono Trigger", an action RPG with a dark setting and time travel elements, designed by Hiromichi Tanaka for the Nintendo Play Station with character designs by Akira Toriyama. After the Nintendo Play Station was canceled, Tanaka rebooted the project and turned it into a sequel to Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden/Final Fantasy Adventure. Square later recycled the "Chrono Trigger" idea into a different game handled by a different team.

upon getting word from Nintendo that they were developing a CD-ROM adapter for the Super Famicom, we decided to start a project in a different direction from Final Fantasy IV [...] The development codename for the new project was Maru Island, and we were making it as a collaboration work with Akira Toriyama-sensei after we established contact through Shueisha. I frequently ran back to the office just to receive and look at the screen mock-ups that Toriyama-sensei did in the initial stages of the project.
Despite that, the CD-ROM adapter was never completed. Once everyone learned that the CD-ROM adapter was never going to see a release, they decided to abandon everything that had been planned for development since the very start, including Toriyama-sensei's contributions, and decided to revise the project in order to make it release into a ROM cassette. We said that we would wait for the CD-ROM to make a collaboration project with Toriyama-sensei, but when it was revised, it actually became an entirely different project with an entirely different direction. That was what later on was completed into the game we know as Chrono Trigger.
Thanks to the high speed of the ROM, it was possible to seamlessly make the action visible in the field without the need to make a transition into a battle screen. But in the end, the new RPG I wanted to start making — one that didn't have a command-style battle system (Motion Battle System) and tested the reflexes of the players — wasn't a title that existed at the moment.
Upon seeing that my goal was to make an action RPG, and learning that an ARPG was the next game we were going to make, I decided to make it into a sequel for Seiken Densetsu, so we reestructured everything to use the world setting we had already from the previous game, and Seiken Densetsu 2 was finally completed.
Some parallels remain between Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger, like the similarities between the designs of Randi/Popoi and Crono/Marle, and also the trope of an ancient spaceship of doom rising from the ocean to threaten the balance of the entire world (the Mana Fortress and the Black Omen).

Remark

Oct 27, 2017

I highly doubt whoever is spending this kind of cash is gonna just hand it over to a museum. All those people bidding are private collectors.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I checked back in here, and it looks like the last person cancelled a bid? Pretty sure I saw it over $300k a while ago. It's.... pretty slow right now.