The Mega Man Battle Network games were something special

Oct 27, 2017

These games were great. They combined interesting set-pieces via the internet you traversed to engage in battle, a fun story, great themes (although the theme around your home became grating over time), a unique battle system that combined RPG elements (finding stronger versions of the cards you deploy in battle as well as strengthening your HP, power, etc.) with tactical game-play and an emphasis on moving across a 6x3 board.

I love these games and would love to play the other ones sometime, although I probably never will unless they are released for virtual console. A sequel or remake would be amazing. Did they sell well?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Network 3 is a perfect game, 6 was /this/ close to getting there too.

Can't wait to see what the mobile game looks like.

Also yes BN series sold VERY well

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Battle Network was doing really well sales wise until 4.

4 sold the most but it was also the worst game of the series by a good margin, so at that point the BN burnout started to settle in. Thankfully the series ended on a high note, at least to me, 6 is the best in the series.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Yep yep. The reason I got a GBA.

Is it me or there were rumors of a mobile game based on Battle Network?

Leviathan

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent card-battle games, fresh and bold concept, and the delightful fantasy of having a best friend in your cell phone that can battle and interface with everything around you. They just felt like very crisp, timeless experiences and I am very hopeful we will see a collection of them in the next year.

I would love to see Capcom show some courage with Mega Man and re-engage with this series, Zero, or X again one day, instead of classic. Isn't a mobile game in the works already?

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
The only issue they had was there were too fucking many of them in a short span of time. For some reason, Capcom was pumping out Mega Man projects non stop, which honestly hurt the brand.

I'd love to see what this new and seemingly more patient Capcom could do with Battle Network. Hopefully more than an HD collection.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent card-battle games, fresh and bold concept, and the delightful fantasy of having a best friend in your cell phone that can battle and interface with everything around you. They just felt like very crisp, timeless experiences and I am very hopeful we will see a collection of them in the next year.

I would love to see Capcom show some courage with Mega Man and re-engage with this series, Zero, or X again one day, instead of classic. Isn't a mobile game in the works already?
Yes a mobile game is coming this year in Japan according to Protodude who accurately leaked xDive.

OP
OP
TheFallenSaboteur
Oct 27, 2017

What makes you think so? Don't give me hope. :(

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Also while not explicitly related, I did love this and Phantom Dust so much that I'm currently working on a little project that combines both ideas. If you like card battle games try Phantom Dust for free too

Leviathan

Oct 28, 2017
What makes you think so? Don't give me hope. :(
It is probably nothing more than hope, but the games did well enough for a good while and they are next on the list, going chronologically.
Yes a mobile game is coming this year in Japan according to Protodude who accurately leaked xDive.
I hope it does the brand justice because I am probably going to get into it no matter what if they localize it.

May 13, 2019
Battle Network was doing really well sales wise until 4.

4 sold the most but it was also the worst game of the series by a good margin, so at that point the BN burnout started to settle in. Thankfully the series ended on a high note, at least to me, 6 is the best in the series.
I've read about that. Every game post MMBN4 sold worse than the previous entry.

Also, worth noting this is the only MM series to end properly i.e with a grand finale that actually gave all the characters a proper epilogue.

Leviathan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited to see it, hopefully it had controller support like xDive too.

Also Capcom has been marketing BN like crazy these past 4-6 months, something it's coming soon
I can never tell if Capcom is just trying to snag an extra few bucks off of a nostalgic reference to a dormant property, or if they are at about to bust out a substantiv revival of said property.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I can never tell if Capcom is just trying to snag an extra few bucks off of a nostalgic reference to a dormant property, or if they are at about to bust out a substantiv revival of said property.
Usually this much merch in Japan means something it's coming from my experience... It's been A LOT lol

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
I love these games and would love to play the other ones sometime, although I probably never will unless they are released for virtual console.
I don’t know how helpful this will be, but they did all release on the Wii U virtual console for like $8 each. If you have a Wii U, that’s cheaper than what most of the carts run for on eBay these days. I bought them to show support!

Leviathan

Oct 28, 2017
Usually this much merch in Japan means something it's coming from my experience... It's been A LOT lol
No complaints here, since I started with three. I later went back and messed around with the first two but I never beat them and I only got the story from the anime. I would definitely pick up a collection.

OP
OP
TheFallenSaboteur
Oct 27, 2017
I don’t know how helpful this will be, but they did all release on the Wii U virtual console for like $8 each. If you have a Wii U, that’s cheaper than what most of the carts run for on eBay these days. I bought them to show support!
Don't have a Wii U but thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully they get re-released sometime for Switch.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
I got so hyped when they first did BN on consoles but unfortunately it didn't last. I kinda wanted a fully 3D console version... I wonder if there's any chance for a revival on Switch.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
MMBN is one of my favorite series. I beat them all, but really truly 100%ed 2 and 3. Man those two are just perfect video games. I know this sounds kind of lame, but I was so into the story as a kid that all of the endings made me either cry or the hair on my neck stand up. I also clicked A on every possible surface to read every bit of text that I could find in each game, of course with the added bonus of all the hidden items.

I hope it comes back in some way other than on mobile. A collection would be amazing!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Writing was very fun and the battle system was ACE

The cartoon was my jam
I still remember they randomly turned Pharaoh Man into some kind of hyper navi in the anime lol. He was just another navi in the game and the manga before that. Was very weird seeing a comedy character from the manga be a super serious villain

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I looove the sprites and world design. So tiny and delightful. Miss the series, miss Capcom doing brilliant 2D on top of their brilliant 3D

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the Cybeast games (Battle Network 6). I actually started a replay of Falzar about a year ago, need to get back to that.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I really miss the series. :'(

Really hope the rumored collection actually happens.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Its Retail data for japan(not that it really matters since there was no digital for GBA/DS).

Lifetime Sales as tracked by GamesdataLibrary:

Mega Man Battle Network : 208346
Mega Man Battle Network 2: 446938
Mega Man Battle Network 3: White : 500001
Mega Man Battle Network 3: Blue : 168496
Mega Man Battle Network 4: Red Sun / Blue Moon : 928850
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman : 415630
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Colonel : 194472
Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregar / Cybeast Falzar : 595447

On NDS:

Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team : 106525
Mega Man Battle Network: Operation Shooting Star : 73374

Basically the series sold well, peaked with the 4th title at probably a million, then went down significantly and was basically dead by the time it was on DS.

Of note that DS sold twice as many systems as GBA in Japan, and is the best selling gaming device period at 32 million for japan.

OP
OP
TheFallenSaboteur
Oct 27, 2017
Its Retail data for japan(not that it really matters since there was no digital for GBA/DS).

Lifetime Sales as tracked by GamesdataLibrary:

Mega Man Battle Network : 208346
Mega Man Battle Network 2: 446938
Mega Man Battle Network 3: White : 500001
Mega Man Battle Network 3: Blue : 168496
Mega Man Battle Network 4: Red Sun / Blue Moon : 928850
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman : 415630
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Colonel : 194472
Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregar / Cybeast Falzar : 595447

On NDS:

Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team : 106525
Mega Man Battle Network: Operation Shooting Star : 73374

Basically the series sold well, peaked with the 4th title at probably a million, then went down significantly and was basically dead by the time it was on DS.

Of note that DS sold twice as many systems as GBA in Japan, and is the best selling gaming device period at 32 million for japan.
Thanks for the information. I wonder how a new game would fair today.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I'd love to see a collection of some sort. I still have my GBA, but I'd be happy to support a new release. 3 was fantastic and I think a few fixes here and there to help touch up the others would help.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
I have very fond memories of playing the first two when I was a kid. Don't remember much about the stories, but the gameplay mechanics were really cool/different (at least from what I was used to), and the soundtracks were delightful and extremely catchy.

Would be neat to see a series revival.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It just feels like I've been hearing this for the last 5 years. :/
They are clearly doing collections of most the series at this point and BN was one of the best selling ones. To add to that we have the mobile game this year and all the merch, would be dumb to also not do a collection

Quinton

Please state the nature of the political emergency
Oct 25, 2017
The Research Triangle
I’ve never played these but I’ve always wanted to. <3 They look nifty.

Oooh, I didn’t know that!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the series I love to death! The gameplay, the world and art-design, it all is so awesome and great to me! :D I love all the games to a varying degree really and spent countless summer-break hours with them. And for people who want more, don't sleep on the BN7 fan-project, try the demo, it really shapes up great!

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, 2 and 3 are some of my absolute favorites. The clock actually stopped on both of them for me playing them so much lol

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I only played MMBN2 but I thought it was rad. A truly unique battle system that was a nice mix of twitch gameplay and strategy. I also thought the way they translated the Mega Man characters into their digital versions was very slick, those designs still hold up today. If they ever make a collection, I want to jump right into 3.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
These games would work so well in today's connected environment. Imagine if u had to plug your switch into your TV's usb port like in the game... lol. Jacking in to random items in your house would "generate" a brand new level for you to play with it's own boss.

Velezcora

Nov 16, 2017
Do you guys think Capcom will do an NT collection? I really hope so because I’ve wanted to check it out for years now

Kafkaa

Oct 28, 2017
I’m a big Mega Man fan and yet I was never able to get into these games. I liked the concept a lot but could never get with the battle system and while I know LAN rose skates, I despised how terribly floaty it felt moving him around.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
These games would work so well in today's connected environment. Imagine if u had to plug your switch into your TV's usb port like in the game... lol. Jacking in to random items in your house would "generate" a brand new level for you to play with it's own boss.
I've been yelling this idea from the rooftops for YEARS!