• An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 20 hours, 41 minutes, 25 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

The Mandalorian |OT| A Complicated Profession [SPOILERS ON EPISODE DROP]

What did you think of Chapter 5: The Gunslinger?

• Great

• Good

• Average

• Poor

Results are only viewable after voting.

Anton Sugar

Oct 27, 2017
Dredd showed we can "get" a character without seeing their face. It didn’t really happen in the first 30 but that’s not much time. Definitely getting a better handle on Mando after 2.

Really, though, character can be communicated without facial expressions. C3P0 and R2 proved that a while ago.

Loxley

Oct 25, 2017
Finally catching up on the first two episodes after being out of the US for 2 weeks. I freakin' love this show so far.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I've also thought that this has felt more like a movie than a regular TV show, it just doesn't have the pacing and structure of a tv show. I'm loving the show but it does feel weird.
What isn't structured like a TV show so far in your opinion?

Both Episode 1 and 2 had a clear in episode arc that got resolved in the end with an overarching story keeping you interested in the next one.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What isn't structured like a TV show so far in your opinion?

Both Episode 1 and 2 had a clear in episode arc that got resolved in the end with an overarching story keeping you interested in the next one.
Usually tv shows are paced slower and have a lot of scenes that expand on what’s happening or have lots of scenes for characterization purposes. The longer runtimes allow shows to not just have 100% essential scenes that movie the plot along.

The way these two episodes are paced, you could put them together and it’d feel like a first act of a film.

Like I said, I am loving the show after episodes 2 but I can’t deny that this show feels unlike any other show that I’ve seen.

BlackFyre

Oct 27, 2017
If you refer to Boba he's quite similar, badass at times but got unlucky and fell in the sarlac. As for Jango he died because some big animal crushed his jetpack, kind of similar to what happened in the second episode of the Mandalorian. All three of them show similar weaknesses.

A show focusing on Boba or anyone else could make these characters more human and interesting. But I like the fact they decided to focus on a new character.
Jango died because he stupidly went up against Mace Windu. As a bounty hunter you'd think he'd know what Windu can do.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Usually tv shows are paced slower and have a lot of scenes that expand on what’s happening or have lots of scenes for characterization purposes. The longer runtimes allow shows to not just have 100% essential scenes that movie the plot along.

The way these two episodes are paced, you could put them together and it’d feel like a first act of a film.

Like I said, I am loving the show after episodes 2 but I can’t deny that this show feels unlike any other show that I’ve seen.
Perhaps it's because I just watched 'The End of the F***ing World' S2 where episodes have a similar runtime (even shorter) but I don't feel that the pacing is off for a TV show. There are a lot of beautiful shots, especially in the second episode, and also some fun interactions between the Child and the Mandalorian that don't feel essential to me. And so far there has been a clear per episode arc. Like of course I would love it if they were to spent more time in this world per episode, but this really feels like a TV show to me with the way it's structured.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Some solid ratings news for the Mandalorian:

Disney Plus has been live for one week, but its flagship launch series, "The Mandalorian," is already one of the most popular original streaming shows of the year.

The live-action "Star Wars" series surged in demand in the US the week of Disney Plus' launch, according to data from Parrot Analytics, which measures "demand expressions," the company's standardized TV demand measurement unit that reflect the desire, engagement, and viewership of a series weighted by importance.

"The Mandalorian," which premiered November 12, was the third most in-demand original streaming series in the US last week, from November 10 to November 16. It was only behind DC Universe's "Titans" and Netflix's "Stranger Things." The chart below from Parrot Analytics shows the top 10 most in-demand original streaming shows in the US for the week:

PogChamp

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to watching this. Its amusing to me that he's supposed to be a badass bounty hunter but lost to Jawas. A strange balance they're trying to strike there

Channel5News

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'd say a third season is all but guaranteed.

And that means that, for Lucasfilm's next major expansion of the franchise, we're getting -- at a minimum -- five seasons of badass Star Wars horseplay:

* Three seasons of Have Blaster, Will Travel
* A gritty spy miniseries
* Ronin Jedi Master

* and maaaaaaaaaaaaybe Crime Queen Qi'ra? (crosses and super-glues fingers)

Not another kiddie droids show or yet another animated series (which will likely happen anyway.) It's an embarrasment of riches for older Star Wars fans.

Last edited:

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first two eps last night and I am super happy with this show. It's everything I hoped it would be and sits alongside Rogue One as the best Disney made Star Wars content.

I was super high while watching it, so the simple to follow story and sparse dialogue was right up my alley

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's only been two episodes, but I already care more about what happens to baby Yoda than I do anyone in the Sequel Trilogy.

Alucrid

Oct 25, 2017
people want the mandalorian to fight a jedi while i just hope a jedi never shows up in the series

Yeah, honestly, it DOES feel more like a movie than a TV show in a lot of ways. Especially the fact that the core cast seems to...just be Pedro. A more normal show would have a full cast of main characters but all of the people I expected to be main characters have either appeared exactly once (Carl Weathers) or not at all thus far (Gina Carano, Giancarlo Esposito).
if all the big castings turn out to be one offs that would be the best thing imo

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Is the new episode out?

Finally got around to watching this. Its amusing to me that he's supposed to be a badass bounty hunter but lost to Jawas. A strange balance they're trying to strike there
To be fair he was being a massive badass, plus the Jawas had his weapons.

Most importantly...they had the high ground!!!
Star wars rule.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Watched both last night, I'm not really impressed so far. There doesn't seem to be much intrigue with the characters or story. Production values seem really great though

Edit: also noticed the audio mix was absolutely terrible. I tried using the app on my tv (which for some weird reason forced me to log in through my phone, and would only let me cast from it). I wasn't able to check what audio track I was using but man it sounded weak af.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
It's only been two episodes, but I already care more about what happens to baby Yoda than I do anyone in the Sequel Trilogy.
Why? It’s a nothing character. That’s actually the biggest problem with the show right now, the lack of interesting characters with compelling wants and needs.

Oct 29, 2017
Why? It’s a nothing character. That’s actually the biggest problem with the show right now, the lack of interesting characters with compelling wants and needs.

Agreed. I will definitely watch the entire season but I'd be lying if I said I wasnt a bit disappointed so far. Its been difficult to get "in" to this show because there hasnt really been anything that interesting that has happened so far.

The episodes are too short and the 2nd one is mostly filler. I get that they are laying the groundwork for Mando and Lil' Yoda's relationship but there is literally nothing else in the episode to latch on to.

Has it been confirmed how long this season will be?

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Dredd showed we can "get" a character without seeing their face. It didn’t really happen in the first 30 but that’s not much time. Definitely getting a better handle on Mando after 2.

Really, though, character can be communicated without facial expressions. C3P0 and R2 proved that a while ago.
Dredd had a sympathetic audience surrogate played by Olivia Thirlby at his side for most of the movie, and we could see her face.

I think it was a misstep to introduce other Mandalorians who also always wear their helmets in the series titled THE Mandalorian. Do those other guys who were posted on security also go out and take mercenary work on their own? Is that how they support their little refugee clan? If so, why is Pedro Pascal referred to as “The Mandalorian” when there are others? Unmask the armorsmith character and you can turn her into a full on supporting character with wants and needs and actually help build the world.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I'll keep watching but it's a bit of a disappointment so far. Isn't he supposed to be one of the most badass bounty hunters in the galaxy? He acts like a blundering oaf.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep watching but it's a bit of a disappointment so far. Isn't he supposed to be one of the most badass bounty hunters in the galaxy? He acts like a blundering oaf.
He is?

Pretty sure he's just a bounty hunter. And he took out an entire team of bounty hunters solo. Being a badass doesn't mean he's invulnerable or untouchable.

Oct 27, 2017
If you refer to Boba he's quite similar, badass at times but got unlucky and fell in the sarlac. As for Jango he died because some big animal crushed his jetpack, kind of similar to what happened in the second episode of the Mandalorian. All three of them show similar weaknesses.

A show focusing on Boba or anyone else could make these characters more human and interesting. But I like the fact they decided to focus on a new character.
It seems that the Mandalorians share the same weakness as me: Giant monsters.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I've been really digging the show, but the fact that it's apparently been taken up by the 'true fans' as the thing that'll save Star Wars from the depredations of Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams or whatever the fuck has kiiiiiinda put a damper on my enthusiasm for it--or, at least, my enthusiasm for talking about it with other people.

Channel5News

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've been really digging the show, but the fact that it's apparently been taken up by the 'true fans' as the thing that'll save Star Wars from the depredations of Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams or whatever the fuck has kiiiiiinda put a damper on my enthusiasm for it--or, at least, my enthusiasm for talking about it with other people.
Star Wars fans are the worst, and they don't deserve a show this good.

Even if it’s just that planet, apparently it’s a hub for bounty hunters if the guild meets there, and also a mandalorian clan lives there too, so that’s still very high praise.
Good point.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
This. I enjoyed both episodes (2 way more than 1 though), but as of now it's all plot and no character. And it doesn't help the main character hides behind a helmet. And because of that there also isn't much room for humor, which is an important ingredient of Star Wars (the self-destruct joke was cool though, but that IG-88 had more personality than the Mandalorian

I really hope the next episodes will dig deeper in who he is, because the pure action will get dull when you have no one to care about. Star Wars has always been about the characters, and this aspect is sorely missing. But it feels like the story is ready to start now, so it might get better from now on.

Another thing that hurts the Star Wars-ness of the series is the music, which just doesn't have that majestic feel to it yiu expect from SW.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This. I enjoyed both episodes (2 way more than 1 though), but as of now it's all plot and no character. And it doesn't help the main character hides behind a helmet. And because of that there also isn't much room for humor, which is an important ingredient of Star Wars (the self-destruct joke was cool though, but that IG-88 had more personality than the Mandalorian

I really hope the next episodes will dig deeper in who he is, because the pure action will get dull when you have no one to care about. Star Wars has always been about the characters, and this aspect is sorely missing. But it feels like the story is ready to start now, so it might get better from now on.

Another thing that hurts the Star Wars-ness of the series is the music, which just doesn't have that majestic feel to it yiu expect from SW.
But it isnt a majestic story. A grand majestic score would be out of place in this Lone Wolf/Western-inspired seedy corner of the galaxy

TearablePuns

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. It’s great people are excited about Star Wars again but the comparisons to how much better it is than the ST gets tiring real quick. It’s being built up way too much and it’s going to cause the bricks to crumble down fast as soon as something risky occurs in the show and “faithful Star Wars fans” lose their shit

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I actually really like how Mando is an oaf. I think that fact has added to his character. He's clearly capable but also makes a lot of mistakes and routinely looks like a fool.

DavidDesu

Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
So I’ve just seen the two episodes back to back, in (ahem) somewhat of a potato quality. Didn’t want to, but no other choice to be part of the conversation.

And I’m not really feeling it yet. It feels oddly sparse. Short episodes makes it feel more like a cartoon in its execution, and the music is woeful. While it’s great to try something new it has literally zero connection to Star Wars. The themes are really dull and completely forgettable. It all adds up to that quite empty feeling I’m getting from the show so far. The music really is the most disappointing aspect so far. When baby Yoda thing used the force you expect maybe at least some recognisable and stirring SW theme but instead just some electronic music with no feeling or drama to it at all. Just super bizarre.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

honestly the big shootout didn't do much for me, it felt super cheesy and poorly edited when he just jumped on the turret and apparently killed so many people with ease

JB1981

Oct 28, 2017
honestly the big shootout didn't do much for me, it felt super cheesy and poorly edited when he just jumped on the turret and apparently killed so many people with ease
When he jumps on the turret and takes everyone out it was supposed to play as this big bad ass moment but it was just really lame

JMizzlin

Oct 29, 2017
D+ finally came out in Australia, so I caught the first two eps last night.

Sadly Twitter trending not only ruined Baby Yoda, but also made the show seem like it was the second coming of Christ. The baby is cool and all but I can't help but feel Disney has gotten super formulaic with a new mandatory 'cute thing' in every piece of Star Wars content.

That being said, I enjoyed the two episodes and am keen to see more. Some questionable editing at times took me out of it, but otherwise it's a strong start.

Gonna have to be watching eps when they launch from now on so the internet doesn't spoil anything else.