• An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 6 hours, 2 minutes, 19 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

The Mandalorian |OT| A Complicated Profession [SPOILERS ON EPISODE DROP]

What did you think of Chapter 5: The Gunslinger?

• Great

• Good

• Average

• Poor

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like episode 2 was a bit of Mando's Boba Fett moment. Ship stripped by Jawas, then knocked out by Jawas (almost killed) and almost got killed by a mud rhino if it wasn't for a baby

Bad day all around. Definitely not the kind of story you tell your bounty hunter buddies

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I really loved this episode. I got far too much enjoyment out of Mando vs. the Jawa sandcrawler scene.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but this is one of the few times I can remember outside of the O.G. Robocop where the protag's body armor actually does its job. That Mega-Rhino was fucking him up, and if he wasn't wearing his gear, he'd have been crushed/squashed about a dozen different times.

Also still no Gina Carano

0/10

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
I know all good things come to an end, but I'd pay anything to see one episode of "teen age" baby Yoda with a lightsaber and old man Mando taking it to the First Order.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess this show is cementing the 30-year legacy of Boba Fett (and all Mandalorians by extension) being a guy who looks cool but does almost nothing except get his ass kicked by alien wildlife.

They need to actually give his name in an episode so we can call him something.

BossAttack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how can there be another
Baby Yoda
when the original one died? Do they just reproduce spontaneously?

When watching the 1st episode, when I saw
Baby Yoda
, I assumed it was the one that Luke Skywalker met in the OT. But after reading the plot synopsis on the 1st page of this OT (events take place after the fall of the Empire, but before the rise of the 1st Order), this makes me think that this one is a
Different Yoda.

So, how can this be?

Forgive me for my ignorance in Star Wars lore about this.
Lol, did you think Yoda just magically came into being and was the only member of his species? Hell, we saw another one of his species in The Phantom Menace.

BossAttack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair I don't think they've ever named his species, and even in the now non-canon stuff they were always vague about them.
Well yeah, his species is intentionally mysterious. I was a rule George put in place forever that you can't reveal Yoda or his species backstory. They had to remain mysterious. I'm just laughing at the idea that someone thought that Yoda just apparated into existence and there was no other members of his species. Of course there' more than just him, it's a massive galaxy. We've just only seen two.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
At work listening to the soundtrack, praise jebus this is on spotify. 'You are a Mandalorian' is so good. Scrolling through Goransson's work and realized he already did Black Panther, which I loved a great deal. Starting to become a serious fan of this guy.

JB1981

Oct 28, 2017
We know plenty to get his goals. He isn’t in the business for profit, but on a path to claim his heritage. He takes Mon Calamari coin at half of Imperial credits, then turns it all over to the Smith who mentions it helping other foundings. Plus his interest in Beskar to convert his armor to get closer to that heritage.
So, this is actually not true at all. The flan, as currency, is more stable and accepted post-empire. It’s not because he has a problem with spending imperial credits

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
He is also doing Chris Nolan next film.
Well-deserved!

I'm playing JFA right now too and I'm just so much more invested in Mandalorian. Even from those first two (short) eps it's just hitting all the right notes. I love the direction they've taken for this first series. It's honestly turning out way better than I thought after watching the trailers.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Good episode imo, it's just a shame they are so short. The Jawas were great and it's cool to see the Mandalorian gets beat up. He isn't the stereotypical superhero.

BossAttack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, this is actually not true at all. The flan, as currency, is more stable and accepted post-empire. It’s not because he has a problem with spending imperial credits
No, but it shows he doesn't care that much for profit. Half-Flan is pretty steep. He could've just taken the Imperial credits and found a place to spend them. He didn't, he accepted half because profit is clearly not that important to him. He's clearly after something more.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
This show is the best thing they have done since buying Star Wars. The music is so good.

JB1981

Oct 28, 2017
No, but it shows he doesn't care that much for profit. Half-Flan is pretty steep. He could've just taken the Imperial credits and found a place to spend them. He didn't, he accepted half because profit is clearly not that important to him. He's clearly after something more.
Donating his flan to foundlings does that. Not refusing imperial credits.

He accepted them because imperial credits are shit in a post-Empire environment.

I mean, the only inference to draw here is that he has an issue with the empire. I don’t think he does

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Episode 2 was really great, i just had one little thing that bugged me, but everything else was so much fun to watch. This could really become something special!

Only thing i didn't like was, that the big Rhino died with just one stab to his neck, although from him pose, it seemed more, like the Mandalorian was going to slice his throat, but that would've been probably too bloody for Disney.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I hope for a Hydra like conspiracy regarding the existence of the First Order.
After many trials and tribulations, Baby Yoda is delivered to the Imperials. Mando takes his pay and leaves, looking back at Baby Yoda only once.

Imperial leader crouches down to Baby, as if to hear something, though no words are exchanged.

A moment passes and Baby's neutral expression fades into a solemn look; it leans in and burbles, "Hail the First Order." The Imperial smiles.

The series ends.

Oct 29, 2017
After many trials and tribulations, Baby Yoda is delivered to the Imperials. Mando takes his pay and leaves, looking back at Baby Yoda only once.

Imperial leader crouches down to Baby, as if to hear something, though no words are exchanged.

A moment passes and Baby's neutral expression fades into a solemn look; it leans in and burbles, "Hail the First Order." The Imperial smiles.

The series ends.

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
If baby Yoda doesn't take down The First Order I am gonna be pissed. He needs to watch his surrogate father Mando die saving him. Then forge his own lightsaber and rise like the fatherless space samurai he is.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the second episode more than the first and that baby thing is so cute :)

I really like the song that they always have in the opening and ending credits

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I hope for a Hydra like conspiracy regarding the existence of the First Order.

Well,

The novel Bloodline and other cannon material do hint at that. Several planets that wanted a more centralized government joined hidden former Imperial forces to form the First Order about 6 years or 5 before the events of TFA.

luqi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm loving all of it
The Mandalorian beating the heck up of some mofos at the start of the episode got my gears going for the fighting scene
The fact that he, as a protagonist only gets effed up and keeps going. It's a very "human" story even though we have this glorified version of what it means to be a Bounty Hunter from the movies and Han Solo. Very nice dichotomy from the main-canon stuff.

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the Lone Wolf and Cub stuff. Especially if it comes to fruition.

For those that aren't aware with the original Japanese stories, the cub becomes the wolf. Horrifically so.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So I watched the first two episodes, and I'm really not sure what to think. I'm a little disappointed at their length and it sort of feels like a movie (or a few) chopped up into episode sized chunks. I get the impression this may function better as something to binge on rather than wait week to week for. I haven't found either episode especially satisfying, but I've enjoyed it enough to be interested in where it goes.

Right now, I'd probably say it's fine but pretty unremarkable. I dunno, maybe the fervor around it set my expectations high before I watched it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I watched the first two episodes, and I'm really not sure what to think. I'm a little disappointed at their length and it sort of feels like a movie (or a few) chopped up into episode sized chunks. I get the impression this may function better as something to binge on rather than wait week to week for. I haven't found either episode especially satisfying, but I've enjoyed it enough to be interested in where it goes.

Right now, I'd probably say it's fine but pretty unremarkable. I dunno, maybe the fervor around it set my expectations high before I watched it.
Yeah, honestly, it DOES feel more like a movie than a TV show in a lot of ways. Especially the fact that the core cast seems to...just be Pedro. A more normal show would have a full cast of main characters but all of the people I expected to be main characters have either appeared exactly once (Carl Weathers) or not at all thus far (Gina Carano, Giancarlo Esposito).

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've also thought that this has felt more like a movie than a regular TV show, it just doesn't have the pacing and structure of a tv show. I'm loving the show but it does feel weird.

Anton Sugar

Oct 27, 2017
It also just has some weird, kinda bad writing on occasion. Like the "you have to learn to ride one of these things to get to the location" scene. That by-the-numbers sequence of him very quickly believing in himself/trying harder (or whatever) and succeeding, followed by them traveling to a location that looks completely accessible/findable if he flew his ship--felt a little contrived.

Overall, though, I'm enjoying it. Second episode was definitely a step up. It has some of the best cinematography in the series and the CG is wild.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
It's a very "human" story even though we have this glorified version of what it means to be a Bounty Hunter from the movies and Han Solo.
If you refer to Boba he's quite similar, badass at times but got unlucky and fell in the sarlac. As for Jango he died because some big animal crushed his jetpack, kind of similar to what happened in the second episode of the Mandalorian. All three of them show similar weaknesses.

A show focusing on Boba or anyone else could make these characters more human and interesting. But I like the fact they decided to focus on a new character.