• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

The greatest movie director you never heard of

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Welcome to a thread about Roy Andersson.

The greatest movie director that you never heard of.

His new movie, About endlessness, is about to open, but he's done more than that.

His "Living triology" are among my favorite movies of all times. The three movies are called "Songs from the second floor" (2000), "You, the living" (2007) and "A pigeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence" (2014).

I found a great Youtube-video today, called "It's not easy being human – The living paintings of Roy Andersson", that explains why this director is so special better than I ever could.

And how Roy Andersson takes inspiration from paintings, rather than other film makers, and how that makes all the difference.

And, yes, all the scenes in Anderssons movies are built on set (with miniatures, painted backgrounds and so forth) to control every aspect of each scene.

Sevacro

Oct 4, 2019
Well you are right I never heard of him but this seems really interesting. Thanks for making this thread.

OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sorry op, but I heard of him xD

And yeah, I was also mind blown when I saw that EVERY single one of his takes is build in a set

every single one

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Not only have I heard of him, he's one of my all time favourite directors. I absolutely adore his works. He might even rival Kubrick when it comes to perfectionism and attention to detail.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of him but I need to watch his movies now after that video.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard of him but have never seen his work. Thanks, OP, I'll check some of it out!

OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
And yeah, I was also mind blown when I saw that EVERY single one of his takes is build in a set
It's amazing how he completes the illusion within each tableaux. If you aren't aware of the magic, it looks like life.

I absolutely adore his works. He might even rival Kubrick when it comes to perfectionism and attention to detail.
I actually think that he exceeds Kubrick.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to a thread about Roy Andersson.

The greatest movie director that you never heard of.

His new movie, About endlessness, is about to open, but he's done more than that.

His "Living triology" are among my favorite movies of all times. The three movies are called "Songs from the second floor" (2000), "You, the living" (2007) and "A pigeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence" (2014).

I found a great Youtube-video today, called "It's not easy being human – The living paintings of Roy Andersson", that explains why this director is so special better than I ever could.

And how Roy Andersson takes inspiration from paintings, rather than other film makers, and how that makes all the difference.

And, yes, all the scenes in Anderssons movies are built on set (with miniatures, painted backgrounds and so forth) to control every aspect of each scene.
Which movie is the one at 2:39?

Twinsun

Nov 2, 2017
My brother is a big fan of his, so he showed me "Songs from the second floor". I liked it a lot. Very funny as well.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Always meant to check his work out, ever since I searched for something similar to Jacques Tati's style on Playtime. Apparently nothing all too similar exists, but Roy Andersson's work was a suggestion regardless.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
i saw pigeon in a cinema once knowing absolutely nothing about it going in and it’s rare as an adult who has seen lots of films to be confronted by a approach to cinema i had literally never seen before. it’s a work of deadpan genius.

the fake adverts before were so good too and something i wish more directors did

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
But what does Scorsese think?
Someone get Scorsese on the phone!

And this might be one of my favorite monologues, ever.

That's pretty spot on.

Not sure if this kind of....it's like a play transcribed to a movie format, with the built sets and monologues......if I would enjoy it. It is certainly unlike what I usually watch.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
My brother is a big fan of his, so he showed me "Songs from the second floor". I liked it a lot. Very funny as well.
Watching it in the cinema back when it was released is one of my best movie experiences ever. The crowd was laughing harder and more earnestly than at any other screening I've been to. It's actually a fairly dark movie, but it's so distanced to the goings on, both regarding the camera work, acting mannerisms and general aesthetics, that it becomes grimly hilarious.

But what does Scorsese think?
Someone get Scorsese on the phone!
The real question is whether Roy Andersson thinks marvel movies are great cinema. We could have another twenty pages of furious marvel fans on our hands.

Last edited:

Conal

Oct 26, 2017
Resetera as a whole seem much more open to experimental cinema these days.

Thanks Joker!

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I read about him earlier this year after hearing all the buzz About Endlessness was getting, still haven't watched any but I really ought to change that. IIRC he first made movies in the 70s and then took a ~30 year hiatus, right?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I know some of his films. They always look like mixture of cinema and theatre. I like them a lot.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I read about him earlier this year after hearing all the buzz About Endlessness was getting, still haven't watched any but I really ought to change that. IIRC he first made movies in the 70s and then took a ~30 year hiatus, right?
Pretty much, though he was a very prolific commercial director in Sweden during his hiatus, so he was certainly not inactive during that period. Ingmar Bergman called him the worlds greatest director of commercials.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I...have actually. But I'd forgotten about him.

You've transported me back a decade to when I was at uni sat under the stars with a girl discussing Songs from the Second Floor.

Conal

Oct 26, 2017
The cinematography and colour palette of Roy Andersson films remind me somewhat of Playtime another favourite of mine.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
The cinematography and colour palette of Roy Andersson films remind me somewhat of Playtime another favourite of mine.

Definitely not coincidental. Tati is a favourite of Anderssons, and Playtime is the one I believe he's been inspired by the most.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Is Songs From The Second Floor available anytime digitally? You The Living is on Kanopy, and Pigeon is a rental on other services, but none seem to have Songs

What’s the best introduction? I was going to go chronologically from Swedish Love Story but is You The Living a good primer to start with?

srsly?

Feb 24, 2018
In addition to the Tati mentioned above, here is another interesting take on the "living painting" film aesthetic; albeit markedly different stylistically, in that the camera provides all the movement within a scene:

In the Crosswind/Risttuules (Martti Helde), 2014

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Well as a swede, of course I’ve heard about him. I actually as an art student during highschool, visited his studio while Roy was preparing and building the set to Songs from the second floor.

Sep 17, 2018
Pigeon won the Golden Lion at 71st Venice Film Festival. It was my first Roy Andersson film and my favorite film in competition. <3

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Is Songs From The Second Floor available anytime digitally? You The Living is on Kanopy, and Pigeon is a rental on other services, but none seem to have Songs

What’s the best introduction? I was going to go chronologically from Swedish Love Story but is You The Living a good primer to start with?
Swedish love story and Giliap (the latter somewhat less so) are more conventional films. Though they are great movies, his current style of filmmaking started with Songs from the second floor.

Well, technically it would be more correct to say it started in his commercial directing and two short films, but no need to make it that complicated.

The latter films are almost more a series of vignettes, bound together by theme rather than overt story elements. Even if I too would prefer to watch films that purports to make up a trilogy in chronological order, there isn't really any need to. Watch the ones you can find in any order you see fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Here's a short film that Roy Andersson did in 1991, called "Härlig är jorden" ("World of glory").

(The original title is the Swedish name for the hymn "Fairest Lord Jesus")

This was his comeback to the movies after years in advertising and it shows the style that he would later use for the Living-triology (and that he'd already begun to explore in his commercials).

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a short film that Roy Andersson did in 1991, called "Härlig är jorden" ("World of glory").

(The original title is the Swedish name for the hymn "Fairest Lord Jesus")

This was his comeback to the movies after years in advertising and it shows the style that he would later use for the Living-triology (and that he'd already begun to explore in his commercials).

It's a good one. Both the opening and closing shots are among the most harrowing that he's done. There is some dry wit in this one too, but it's still one of his darkest works.