• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

The Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary collector’s edition Set announced 350$, Nov 2019, 4:3 aspect ratio [UPDATE: Cropped, heavy use of DVNR]

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
What's wrong with pencil lines and grain? Just leave it. Just take the original video and put it on a disc.

No one wants 200 dollars of garbage. They want the definitive video release.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Probably an unpopular opinion but I don’t know that I can go back to vanilla DBZ after watching Kai. Seems like a cool package though.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
You can't really get much detail from scanning 16mm film passed 2K-ish. A 4K release of DBZ would hardly be of any merit unless it were the movies (which were on 35mm film).
You can get a ton of benefit from the HEVC Codec alone and the HDR can get us closer to the actual color than ever. The 30th Anniversary deserved better

Papertoonz

Oct 26, 2017
man Funi still can't release a good home video version of dragon ball can they

if you're gonna charge that amount for it then go the extra mile for good sake

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Oh for God sake, why do they always manage to screw this up? All I ask is for once this series gets the treatment it actually deserves.

May as well just go out and buy those series sets on Blu Ray.
Cause Funi doesn't want to foot the bill for a proper remaster. With them supposedly teaming up with Toei you'd think the two could co-fund a proper remaster and release it in a ton of markets. It'd certainly make its money back, especially if it wasn't a limited time thing.
But nope, we gotta get terrible release after terrible release. The least Funi could do is release the uncensored remasters of the movies that Toei put on Japanese Netflix, but I guess they just want to make sure they only do bad releases for Z.

Bad Vibes Dio

The Fallen
Apr 13, 2018
This isn't good. Funimation is getting bad PR from the hardcores and this thing is still selling very well. Our voices may very well not mean a damn thing here.

More and more I'm starting to see how much of a blessing the leak of the JP broadcast audio was.

Pop-O-Matic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't good. Funimation is getting bad PR from the hardcores and this thing is still selling very well. Our voices may very well not mean a damn thing here.
Like I was saying earlier, the chances that this was going to fail were slim to none. Dragon Ball is still Dragon Ball, so even with all the discontent about what we've seen so far, there's more than enough suckers out there willing to get this past the 3k mark.

Aaron

Oct 25, 2017
Probably an unpopular opinion but I don’t know that I can go back to vanilla DBZ after watching Kai. Seems like a cool package though.
Yeah like I bought the set that has every episode and it’s like, being real... I wouldn’t shell out for a Dragon Box-style remaster at this point.

It sucks that Funi is blowing another release but eh.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah like I bought the set that has every episode and it’s like, being real... I wouldn’t shell out for a Dragon Box-style remaster at this point.

It sucks that Funi is blowing another release but eh.
If they put out a visually remastered version of Kai might be on board for that but that’s about it.

Zerokoolpsx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's a hard sell for $350 and its only 4:3 in Hi-Def. Those pillarboxes and its cropped too. Yeah, pass.

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Too bad there's no way to get the Kai soundtrack in any future releases.

Plagiarized? Maybe. Best OST? You bet.

Pop-O-Matic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the "leaked" soundtrack?
Fan-made stereo VHS recordings of the original Japanese broadcast audio, as Toei lost the master tapes ages ago and because of that all the home video releases have been relying on low-quality mono optical tracks printed onto the film stock for the Japanese audio.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Shame to read about the video transfers, what's worse is that these video transfers will probably be used again and again for the years to come.
whether it is for future physical releases or streaming, these transfers will be the ones used.

Sadly the only way we will experience DBZ the way we want is whenever TOEI themselves decide to restore and release DBZ on Blu Ray,
followed by a fan ripping the video and adding all audio options.

Ginta

Oct 29, 2017
Lmao no, more than a $ per ep and a grandista costs like 30$ on its own. Rather watch old 6 hour tapes.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Fan-made stereo VHS recordings of the original Japanese broadcast audio, as Toei lost the master tapes ages ago and because of that all the home video releases have been relying on low-quality mono optical tracks printed onto the film stock for the Japanese audio.
You know, I never read about the specifics but that’s sad af. No wonder my old fansubbed Buu saga broadcast tapes sounded better than the stuff now.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
I preordered. I’m weak and want the collection. I can’t justify $1,000 for the old sets.

VDenter

Oct 27, 2017
Man it really sucks how well this seems to be doing. Why are people always so eager to support a clearly crap product? In this case it's even worse than the previous, already horrible BD releases of this series.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Man it really sucks how well this seems to be doing. Why are people always so eager to support a clearly crap product? In this case it's even worse than the previous, already horrible BD releases of this series.
at the end of the day it's still dragon ball z. 3000 sales is a ridiculously low bar.

i hope just reaching the goal doesn't constitute as a success and not too many people are suckered into buying this poor release. but who am i kidding.

VDenter

Oct 27, 2017
at the end of the day it's still dragon ball z. 3000 sales is a ridiculously low bar.

i hope just reaching the goal doesn't constitute as a success and not too many people are suckered into buying this poor release. but who am i kidding.
It's just frustrating that this keeps happening over and over again. This reaching the goal most likely gives Funimation a clear message that people are willing to buy anything that has DBZ on the box, no matter how crappy it is. At this point i doubt a good and affordable version of the show will ever be made.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Looking at those screen shots, I think I'll stick with the Funimation remastered dvd's. I'll take the 16:9 widescreen version over that weird new crop.

Maybe one day they will release a new, good version of the original 4:3 version, at a reasonable price.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm making a video on this entire controversy and looking back at the whole situation surrounding the launch of the Level sets in 2011.

Over-saturated market doesn't even begin to describe it. Jesus fuck. It feels like they intentionally sabotaged the release. Or they're just insanely incompetent. Impossibly incompetent.

VDenter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm making a video on this entire controversy and looking back at the whole situation surrounding the launch of the Level sets in 2011.

Over-saturated market doesn't even begin to describe it. Jesus fuck. It feels like they intentionally sabotaged the release. Or they're just insanely incompetent. Impossibly incompetent.
It's pretty safe to assume that they are doing this on purpose now. Just so they can have something to sell you next time. This really shouldn't be that hard to get right.