• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

The Curse of Oak island is literally a bunch of guys playing in dirt wearing tin foil hats, but I can lose hours of my life to it, why?

Slayven

I don’t know what you’re talking about
Oct 25, 2017
I first learned about oak island from the GOAT In Search series by Leonard Nimoy(RIP), so it isn't new shit. But this show comes on History channel in marathons and I always end up watching 4 or 5 eps while they play in dirt and talk conspiracy theories. Literally they go on and on about the knights templar, french revolation, the american revolution, and all kind of stuff. And the metal detactor dude, every piece of scrap he finds is going to rewrite hsitory

Monroe Kelly

Oct 28, 2017
Are you high? That's how I usually get roped into that and Ancient Aliens. I ended up watching 4 episodes of the 70s In Search Of after getting into an argument with the roommates about Bigfoot.

At least it isn't Ax Men and that Alaska gold mining show.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
The show is fucking infuriating. For FIVE seasons they talk about these box drains and have a graphic to visualize them as literal square shaped drains coming from the ocean. They showed this graphic SOOOO many times. Then....they have a scene in season 6 where they randomly go to a library or something miles away from Oak Island and they happen to find a book that happens to describe these box drains as.... triangle shaped.

THEN JUST SO HAPPEN the VERY NEXT SCENE the crew back on Oak Island "discover" one of the "box drains" and LOW AND BEHOLD they a find a vaguely triangle shaped structure and they HAPPEN to get a call from the others in the library telling them about the triangle shape.

AND THEY HAVE THE NERVE to immediately show the same graphic they'd been showing for five seasons...AND NOW THEY'RE SHAPED LIKE THE TRIANGLE.

It's all such bullshit and I'll never stop watching.

CrystalXBOX

Oct 25, 2017
I knew about this story as a kid cause we lived near there and visited the area and island on day trips several times.

Honestly it's just fun to think about. Even back then everyone knew it was BS but it's fun to imagine digging a hole and finding buried treasure, a literal link to the past. That's the only reason we ever went there, cause honestly the entire area around Chester, NS is otherwise boring. The show plays that up x1000.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The show is fucking infuriating. For FIVE seasons they talk about these box drains and have a graphic to visualize them as literal square shaped drains coming from the ocean. They showed this graphic SOOOO many times. Then....they have a scene in season 6 where they randomly go to a library or something miles away from Oak Island and they happen to find a book that happens to describe these box drains as.... triangle shaped.

THEN JUST SO HAPPEN the VERY NEXT SCENE the crew back on Oak Island "discover" one of the "box drains" and LOW AND BEHOLD they a find a vaguely triangle shaped structure and they HAPPEN to get a call from the others in the library telling them about the triangle shape.

AND THEY HAVE THE NERVE to immediately show the same graphic they'd been showing for five seasons...AND NOW THEY'RE SHAPED LIKE THE TRIANGLE.

It's all such bullshit and I'll never stop watching.
I am the number one fan of the VFX teams on these shows, not only do they do awesome work but they make crazy visually interesting
Idk, but I end up watching every season lol.

The spinoff is atrocious
You said the same thing about Once Upon A Time

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
I like it because it’s just fun to imagine them finally finding something worthwhile. I’m rooting for them to actually end up finding something one of these days.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I think it is the narration, the dude has a way of stating bullshit like it is a revelation . Same with Ancient Aliens
A piece of brick? on THIS island? Could it be? Could this be proof that the vikings were involved with intergalactic politics? Stay tuned until next week where we won't answer this question at all.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It’s stupidly addictive. I can’t tell if the people in that show are true believers or if it’s a grift.
An addictive grift? For true believers? Could the lead cross found in Smith's Cove be connected to the legendary King Philip IV of France, who accused the Templar Knights of grift shortly before ordering their arrests and executions?
The boxdrains? In Smith's Cove? Could these be the same structures believed by Dan Blankenship and other Oak Island researchers to be the entrance ways for the flood tunnels that have prevented Oak Island trasure hunters from reaching the treasure?
The spinoff is atrocious
The spinoff? About Civil War gold? Could metal detection expert Gary Drayton be connected to efforts by brothers Rick and Marty Lagina to extend their brand beyond the confines of Oak Island?
Once Upon a Time? The fantasy series that recently aired on ABC? Could it be that the characters on the show derive their inspiration from the works of William Shakespeare, whose manuscripts are rumored to be buried on Oak island?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I like it because it’s just fun to imagine them finally finding something worthwhile. I’m rooting for them to actually end up finding something one of these days.
?? Like what? Might as well pick random spots in the world and dig a hole. The entire oak island treasure nonsense has been debunked a million times over. There's nothing to find.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
An addictive grift? For true believers? Could the lead cross found in Smith's Cove be connected to the legendary King Philip IV of France, who accused the Templar Knights of grift shortly before ordering their arrests and executions?

The boxdrains? In Smith's Cove? Could these be the same structures believed by Dan Blankenship and other Oak Island researchers to be the entrance ways for the flood tunnels that have prevented Oak Island trasure hunters from reaching the treasure?

The spinoff? About Civil War gold? Could metal detection expert Gary Drayton be connected to efforts by brothers Rick and Marty Lagina to extend their brand beyond the confines of Oak Island?

Once Upon a Time? The fantasy series that recently aired on ABC? Could it be that the characters on the show derive their inspiration from the works of William Shakespeare, whose manuscripts are rumored to be buried on Oak island?
lmao this is fantastic. Bravo

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
?? Like what? Might as well pick random spots in the world and dig a hole. The entire oak island treasure nonsense has been debunked a million times over. There's nothing to find.
Sounds like something a Free Mason would say to cover up their secrets

Oct 25, 2017
I am the number one fan of the VFX teams on these shows, not only do they do awesome work but they make crazy visually interesting
I love it but towards the end of the season it always gets extremely frustrating.
They always start finding shit to get another season, but I will never understand the "we are literally right on top of breaking this mystery any day now.....
ok let's go home for months" right after finding something "significant"

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017

Lol my wife and I do this every show.

Also, it’s great cause Gary Drayton keeps finding Bobby dazzler boottuns.

Last edited:

OneEightZero

Oct 27, 2017

I like you. ^_^

DrewFu

Apr 19, 2018
This is my last season with it unless they finally find something of note. Been watching since season 1, and I can't stand any more hole diggin'.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Gary is the best. He finds everything. Really should just be the Gary show at this point.

I see you are a man of culture.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

I can hear the voice goddamn it
OP I highly recommend the (fictional) novel Riptide by Lincoln Preston, which is based on the legend of Oak Island. It's a fantastic read.

Thanks for that
Have they ever found anything?
random buttons and coins

Exotoro

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Godtier post

hydro94530

Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

Lol!!

Bigwombat

Nov 30, 2018
Again there is extensive writeups on why it's a scam. There is no treasure or booby traps on oak island. I'm almost positive the station knows this, but at this point it pulls in viewers so they'll keep it rollin.
I've seen snippets of it over the years and they always hype it up. I think there was some treasure pit that got "buried" and they are always on the cusp of some discovery.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yo, I just watched three episodes of nonsense because of this thread.

Amazon only has S2-4, so I started with S2 and man, the logical leaps required to mention the Ark of the Covenant on this show are absolutely incredible.

They brought in this treasure hunter with a weird three-part beard, and the treasure hunter insists the Phoenicians came across the sea in the mid-550s BC to Nova Scotia.

Could it be... that the Phoenicians brought across the Ark of the Covenant to Nova Scotia?

FUCKING WHAT

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
And wasting a whole lot of money in the process.

There's a newer show that follows a team of brothers digging around Oak Island, hiring divers to poke around in near 0% visibility under incredibly dangerous conditions within flooded tunnels. I binged an entire season over a few days at work, keeping it on as background noise, and I fear I may have lost a dozen IQ points from exposure.

Last edited:

Xelan

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably in their best interest to never find the treasure or whatever it is anyways, they've got to be making bank on this show and for the "mystery" to be solved would hurt their wallets.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
The engineering on the design and traps of the hole are pretty I listened to the MU segment on it from ages ago.

Never watched this show though.