Tekken 7 reveals Ganryu and Fahkumram alongside fancy Leroy Smith gameplay video (See staff post)

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I cant get over how sick Leroy is. Never thought there would be a character to make me switch off of Heihachi but this dude is IT. I cant wait for Tuesday.

Feb 15, 2019
I can't wait till crossplay takes off for fighters. This population chart is depressing. Basically if you don't play the top 4 on this list be prepared to fight the same 3 people online if there's even 3 other people that live close to you who also want to play the game you want to play.
I mean adding crossplay to any of the current fighters out there is probably not going to do too much unless it's Tekken 7 or MK11. Especially not in Europe. The PC population tends to be the biggest (especially so for Tekken) and adding the 2 guys on Xbox and the few more guys on PS4 really isn't gonna do all that much. Especially not next gen with a much lower install base for both the new platforms.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
These 3 character slots were wasted, perhaps Leroy is alright. But there hasn't been a good Character design in Tekken since Feng Wei. I'll give a pass to Miguel since he's an actual Street Fighter but Harada's Anime Fuckery literally started with fuckass duck hair Lars and his robotsex waifu Alisa. And now we are paying the price with shit like Fuckemrammyass here.

Even Leo/Zafina are redeemable due to their unique look and style. But Lucky Chloe and this Sagat Ripoff have really pissed me off on a design point of view.
Hey alright.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Leroy is great, although he makes Ganryu and Fahkuram look kinda bad by comparison. Ganryu's trailer was at least kinda funny.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I love reaction from Thai peoples every time Fahkumram striked they were yelling AYIiiEEEEE like in real Muah Thai match.

Last edited:

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand I don't want to reignite the old controversy, on the other hand the Leroy Smith track felt so much more fitting than the MK11 one.

Dec 20, 2018
I mean adding crossplay to any of the current fighters out there is probably not going to do too much unless it's Tekken 7 or MK11. Especially not in Europe. The PC population tends to be the biggest (especially so for Tekken) and adding the 2 guys on Xbox and the few more guys on PS4 really isn't gonna do all that much. Especially not next gen with a much lower install base for both the new platforms.
Any type of cross play helps tbh. Power Rangers Battle For The Grid is a good example of a game that was a struggle to play online until they finally enabled crossplay.

Also if you live in America MK11 could definitely use the cross play cause majority of the pc player base are pretty much Russians and it would force NRS to actually put some care into the pc version.

Certain airdashers and DOA would benefit greatly too.

Feb 15, 2019
Any type of cross play helps tbh. Power Rangers Battle For The Grid is a good example of a game that was a struggle to play online until they finally enabled crossplay.

Also if you live in America MK11 could definitely use the cross play cause majority of the pc player base are pretty much Russians and it would force NRS to actually put some care into the pc version.

Certain airdashers and DOA would benefit greatly too.
I mean yeah it's obviously gonna help somewhat. But that poster I quoted made it seem like it would be an entirely different ball game then. And I think that's definitely not gonna be the case unless it's one of the fighters I listed above.

Tyaren

Oct 25, 2017
Fakuhram looked cool in the trailer when he was big af, in game he his shorter stature makes the proportions look worse.
Yeah, that was weird. At first I thought he was a giant, then he turned out to be actually pretty small. At first I was confused and thought maybe he has a special ability that makes him grow or shrink, but that would be dumb, so I guess they just made his size very inconsistent in that trailer.

Rayge

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really hoping the majority of people hate Fahkumram. The less people that play him the less likeyl people will be familiar with him and even if he turns out to be lower tier it'll be easy wins for a while.

I genuinely like the character. I still see Jin as the ultimate edge lord in the game. This guy is definitely for fans of Baki and Kengan Ashura/Omega.

ACTUALLY looking at the Youtube video... the vast majority of people actually like this character. Seems like the 3% who hate him are all on this forum.

Also. Proportion wise... Marduk is about the same as him. So I don't understand why Marduk hasn't ever caught any flak.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Fuka reminds me more of Bruce than sagat *shrug* I don’t put too much time into tekken usually other than on Thursday night fights where I live so probably won’t be getting the fighting pass.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I'm really hoping the majority of people hate Fahkumram. The less people that play him the less likeyl people will be familiar with him and even if he turns out to be lower tier it'll be easy wins for a while.

I genuinely like the character. I still see Jin as the ultimate edge lord in the game. This guy is definitely for fans of Baki and Kengan Ashura/Omega.

ACTUALLY looking at the Youtube video... the vast majority of people actually like this character. Seems like the 3% who hate him are all on this forum.

Also. Proportion wise... Marduk is about the same as him. So I don't understand why Marduk hasn't ever caught any flak.
T7 Marduk has deffo gotten flak for his tiny ass legs, but yeah the issue with Thai Bob is primarily his waist and really small head. I hope the fix his waist, it's ridiculous rn. Otherwise I'm hype for him. Gameplay wise he looks very dope and I can't wait to try him

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That's not even remotely true, I play mainly UNIST (which should be on that chart) and Xrd online, and there's a great variety of people to play online.

It's probably different if you live somewhere where fighters aren't popular, but in states it's fine at least.
UNIST has just 139 people playing right now on Steam, Worldwide. That's just not enough for most people who like to play ranked modes. Both crossplay and rollback netplay would help immensely going forward.
If there's a fighting game that you're interested in, but has a low population count, there's probably a Discord server that you can use to make finding matches much easier.
Yeh but some of us want to play ranked and it's kind of impossible with such low player counts.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Oh i'm not saying it wouldn't help it, of course it would! I'm just saying the idea that you only play like against the 3 same people is completely inaccurate.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017

His proportions seem more Baki than Kengan...

Man, it would have been great if this was just Gaolang from Kengan. But no one would even know who that was.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Tekken since Tekken 3 and already know all about the franchise and its petulant devs. All of this still doesn't make any criticism of character design invalid.

Tekken is in a sad state. At this point at the end of a console cycle, we would have seen 3 new Tekken games instead of 3 season passes. They released 1 game and are milking its success as far as they can.
I never thought I would read this.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
Dammit Harada, why not just bring Bruce back? Replacing Bruce with Josie, who has easily the worst character design in T7, was already a bummer. But then to rub salt in the wound you bring out another Muay Thai character, who somehow looks even worse than Josie?!

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
It's the tatoo's on the face that I hate with the new guy. Just let me put an eye patch on him and he can be Sagat to me. Just no Tiger Shots :(

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I think that hurt the hype. It seemed like they were doing some Abigail-type character where he was going to dwarf even the biggest characters in the game. Then he turned out to possibly be shorter than Marduk.
So glad he's not super tall. People here already have only one point of reference ever for a Muay Thai character.

Rayge

Oct 27, 2017
The size perspective they did was an old school anime trope. They do it all the time in Hokuto no Ken and Baki and a bunch of other hyper violent fighting (and other genres) mangas which is what this character is based off of. I thought it was great and whoever went with this gets a thumbs up from me for calling back to all those great moments in those comics where they utilize this to show power.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
The size thing they did was an old school anime trope. They do it all the time in Hokuto no Ken and Baki and a bunch of other hyper violent fighting mangas which is what this character is based off of. I thought it was great and whoever went with this gets a thumbs up from me for calling back to all those great moments in those comics where they utilize this to show power.
This. They did it all the time in HnK. Tekken is an anime. Sooner we come to the conclusion the less people will be mad at stuff. We had cyborgs and boxing animals since the beginning.

Rayge

Oct 27, 2017
This. They did it all the time in HnK. Tekken is an anime. Sooner we come to the conclusion the less people will be mad at stuff. We had cyborgs and boxing animals since the beginning.
Yep. I don't know what people are on about when Tekken literally falls in line with these fighting mangas. All I see is Harada paying some mad respect to material that probably inspired this character and pretty much what Tekken stands for in its entirety.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played T7 in a while; I really have disliked the amount of guest characters in the game that have made it feel like an all-stars game instead of a Tekken game. But Ganryu looks great and as an old school Tekken player I always enjoyed him. I've been wanting a Wing Chun fighter in Tekken for a long time, so I have to try Leroy. My introduction to Wing Chun was from old school HK movies with people like Michelle Yeoh, and actually I wish they just based the character on Michelle Yeoh instead of it being a dude. But regardless, he looks cool.

I dig the Thai stage; it reminds me of a SoulCalibur stage. Not into Fahkumram though.

The trailers showed Zafina, is there an actual intro trailer for Zafina? I can't find a thread for it here.

Naga

Aug 29, 2019
The size perspective they did was an old school anime trope. They do it all the time in Hokuto no Ken and Baki and a bunch of other hyper violent fighting (and other genres) mangas which is what this character is based off of. I thought it was great and whoever went with this gets a thumbs up from me for calling back to all those great moments in those comics where they utilize this to show power.
It only works when the characters are actually tall, and the perspective isn't fucked up in those cases either (it's actually done really well, well, except Baki given the art quality).
Come on, "cyborg and boxing animals" isn't the excuse for bad designs and it has been argued multiple times in this thread.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think the scale difference in the trailer comes from them having to resize him way late in development after the majority of the trailer was finished. I do think the intention was to make someone like Abigail in Street Fighter V, but for various reasons it seems like they could not do that. That would be a serious bummer for the devs.

I have a fairly large circle of acquaintances that have always made fun of how ugly characters like Marduk were. For us Tekken was always the tryhard weird edgey overly tattooed jiggle fighter. If I saw this character right after the Devil Jin and Gigas reveals I probably would have outright decided against purchasing the game just based on how ugly I find so many characters.

I personally adore Marduk's redesign though, I think he looks great in Tekken 7.

you can delete my words but never my emotions! My disdain for Josie is forever scorched into my black heart
What is it about Josie's design that you find really off-putting? She is one of my favorite Tekken designs and I have been playing casually since Tekken 2.

Rayge

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the people vocally negative about the character are
I haven't played T7 in a while; I really have disliked the amount of guest characters in the game that have made it feel like an all-stars game instead of a Tekken game. But Ganryu looks great and as an old school Tekken player I always enjoyed him. I've been wanting a Wing Chun fighter in Tekken for a long time, so I have to try Leroy. My introduction to Wing Chun was from old school HK movies with people like Michelle Yeoh, and actually I wish they just based the character on Michelle Yeoh instead of it being a dude. But regardless, he looks cool.

I dig the Thai stage; it reminds me of a SoulCalibur stage. Not into Fahkumram though.

The trailers showed Zafina, is there an actual intro trailer for Zafina? I can't find a thread for it here.
She's already realeased

Come on, "cyborg and boxing animals" isn't the excuse for bad designs and it has been argued multiple times in this thread.
I think it looks awesome. I don't see how it's bad design. They've done this stylization with plenty of short characters in various series. People just seem to hate it when Tekken does something they don't like and the minority that don't like it are VERY vocal about it. I'm so glad Harada just doesn't pay it any mind.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
It only works when the characters are actually tall, and the perspective isn't fucked up in those cases either (it's actually done really well, well, except Baki given the art quality).

'Cept I wasn't excusing any bad designs? What the hell are you guys reading before posting.

We are specifically talking about the height thing right now.

Naga

Aug 29, 2019
I think it looks awesome. I don't see how it's bad design. They've done this stylization with plenty of short characters in various series. People just seem to hate it when Tekken does something they don't like and the minority that don't like it are VERY vocal about it. I'm so glad Harada just doesn't pay it any mind.
You don't see how a character with Baki proportions, but not that tall, and with plenty of bad tattoos on the face and body doesn't look bad?
It's not a "it's just those damn Tekken haters" situation.

edit:
'Cept I wasn't excusing any bad designs? What the hell are you guys reading before posting.

We are specifically talking about the height thing right now.
Height is part of design.
I'll just quote you again:
Read my previous post again (since you've skipped through it) and what I've just posted above.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Baki characters are already disgustingly ugly so copying that while also making him not tall enough is really funny looking

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
She's already realeased
Oh nice, she looks great! I never played her much, but it's good to have interesting fighting styles in the game rather than another brawler.

I'm a bit surprised she doesn't speak Arabic in this though; I thought they were moving away from having everyone speak English.

Rayge

Oct 27, 2017
You don't see how a character with Baki proportions, but not that tall, and with plenty of bad tattoos on the face and body doesn't look bad?
I'm in SoCal... so seeing people with face tattoos doesn't mean anything to me. I think the guy looks tough and reminds me of old school anime tough guys. So Harada is definitely scratching that itch for a crap ton of people out there seeing as how the Fahkumram's trailer is liked by 97% of the people out there. Like I said. It's just a vocal minority not liking this dude.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017

edit:

Height is part of design.
I'll just quote you again:

Read my previous post again (since you've skipped through it) and what I've just posted above.
Aight. Again the back and forth. I just don't care. I actually voiced my opinion on his design and me actually not liking his proportions. Now, I'm talking about how Tekken treats it's mythos (and introductions) like an anime. It's wacky and fun (like boxing animals). These thoughts are not about the actual design, but how he was introduced to the audience.

Naga

Aug 29, 2019
I'm in SoCal... so seeing people with face tattoos doesn't mean anything to me. I think the guy looks tough and reminds me of old school anime tough guys. So Harada is definitely scratching that itch for a crap ton of people out there seeing as how the Fahkumram's trailer is liked by 97% of the people out there. Like I said. It's just a vocal minority not liking this dude.
I mean, you got a Guts avatar. You talked about HnK earlier.

You see the difference between that and Baki right? In terms of proportions and character design?

I don't know where you're looking, but it's certainly not "97% of people" liking it lol.