• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 8 hours, 25 minutes, 54 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order |OT| Respawn of the Jedi

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it on second to last difficulty. A solid 8.5 out of 10. My main issues were iffy platforming, blocking sometimes did not register, and the really long back tracking. Respawn did very good with this. I hope there's a part 2. The ending sequence was so fucking bad ass. The fight against Trilla on a high difficulty was rage inducing but I did it. Great, amazing world environmental detail, the force powers were nice, amazing story that kept me wanting more. Overall I really enjoyed this game a hell of a lot. I was a serious doubter but the reviews and the OT here helped me purchase the game and I'm glad I did.

ShinobiBk

Dec 28, 2017
I bought an Xbox One X from NewEgg over the weekend and it came in today. Holy fuck what a difference

I don't think anyone not playing on Xbox One S or base Xbox One can fathom how much worse the game looks on there. No troll it legit looks like what I would imagine a Switch port if this game would like like, maybe slightly better

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Phenomenal final 4/5hs I wish the game would be more like that. The middle is kinda weak most of the time and the game runs like ass but the story is good and it delivers great fights on the last third and the world building is great.

It was gonna be a 7 but I'll settle on 8 out of 10.

I won't 100% it, feels pointless. I might replay it someday in the future, maybe on a easier difficulty to re-experience the story.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Phenomenal final 4/5hs I wish the game would be more like that. The middle is kinda weak most of the time and the game runs like ass but the story is good and it delivers great fights on the last third and the world building is great.

It was gonna be a 7 but I'll settle on 8 out of 10.

I won't 100% it, feels pointless. I might replay it someday in the future, maybe on a easier difficulty to re-experience the story.
Don't you want to see what other poncho designs they have?

AJ_Wings

Oct 31, 2017
Played a few hours and had to make this in Photoshop LEL
I like this game, but it borrows a lot from other titles without the same level of polish and depth.
I'm not trolling when I say that Prince of Persia: Sands of Time has better Wall-running (and honestly platforming in general) than Fallen Order. You can basically wall-run just almost any wall area unlike JO's "clearly designated wall-running here!" put in so obviously by the developers. It honestly felt way more organic to the world.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Finished it today. It was a pretty fun adventure. Coming right after RDR2, I'm glad it wasn't some 100 hour game.

Ending spoilers:
And holy shit was the ending with Vader wrecking shit, cool. They made him genuinely scary.

I gotta say the puzzles and backtracking are sapping a bit of the fun for me. Stopping for tonight, will probably finish it in a couple of days at this rate.
I felt that too. Mainly cause I couldn't always remember how to get back to certain areas so I ended up running around in circles. The map wasn't all that helpful in certain planets either.
Any sort of fast travel system could have helped this issue.

Nov 17, 2019
I saw some people talking about how unlikeable and bland cal was but honestly I don't really mind. He's a lonely kid with trust issues and is probably suffering from PTSD. It makes sense that he's not bleeding charm and is a bit awkward. I full expect he will be a wisecracking, swashbuckling jedi next game so it's nice to see this side of him. I felt he was much more likeable near the end of the game especially when he meets a certain someone. I could tell he was a lot more confident and his personality began to manifest more.

Anyway I wish the game was longer, I'm dying for more fallen order. The one time I want EA to shove dlc down my throat is the one time they decide to play it by the book.

Karlinel

Nov 10, 2017
I’m enjoying the atmosphere and traversal but the actual fights have a very odd timing, I just can’t put my finger on it, but parry windows and animations look like they were out of sync. Also it runs awful on ps4 pro, to the point I fear my hdd might be fucked. I mean, even Control seems more fluid. Death stranding is juddery af tho.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Think I came up with a different solution to this puzzle.

Nice work. That was a creative solution to area that stumped me for a little while.
Your're supposed to throw them at the energy field that makes them stick to the wall and then cross over and pull them off the wall on the other side. When they stuck to the wall for me I thought I couldn't pull them off with the energy field still going - I think I tried and just wasn't standing close enough or something, so I spent a while trying to cut the field and catch them before they fell, until I finally realized I could pull them with the energy thing on after a bunch of trial and error.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'll expand on my thoughts about the game.

I'll start with the bad first

Performance: I played it on PS4 Pro on the Resolution? mode and boy was it bad, the intro worked pretty well but once you go to the proper first planet problems slowly reveal themselves, slowdowns everywhere, textures loading all the time, game freezing in some spots (to load areas), enemies loading really late into battle and in T poses. I'm not used to play AAA games so broken, I know they exist but I probably didn't play those so this was really surprising, not even Mass Effect Andromeda was this bad for me.

Fauna: I hate the fauna since the very first trailer of the game, eveyy bug/animal/monster is ugly imo, and not ugly like grotesque and cool looking but boring ugly, the biggest problem is that they're also boring to fight because their attacks are so simple and so few that you dispatch all of them pretty much the same way.

Cosmetics: Well, I guess this is obvious, right? it's incredible how much customization the game has for the lightsaber grip, the one thing you won't ever see while playing... on top of that, the ponchos are mostly bland with the occasional decent mix of colours but yeah, exploring the world to get terrible skins is one of the weakest implementations on these type of games.

The average

Combat: Combat is good but sadly it ends up being a mixed bag because of fauna and some wonky controls. As I said, fighting animals is terrible for me, super boring fights, even the bosses are bad and most of the time they're just buffed regular mid sized monsters. Besides the controls while fun sometimes feel weird, specially the blocking, I think is the animations that and lack of impacts while receiving damage that makes you believe you're blocking but you're not, it's probably my fault tho.
The good thing is that fighting imperial armies, elite soldiers, bounty hunters, and bosses is really fan and some of the later fights are phenomenal.

Visuals: The game looks good most of the time on average but it's kinda weird how barely up to standard the game looks this late in the gen, sure the worlds are big but considering how bad everything performs I don't think that's the reason why the game doesn't look better. Art style is another mixed bag because while the planets are cool fauna, as I said, is horrible. Characters are mostly good with some really cool design later on but some faces are bad and the wookies really feel like they came from a PS3.
Animations are kinda simple too, climbing and little things like opening chest underwater or even walking running just seems a little cheap.

Exploration: The map designs and the actual activity of exploring is fun but considering half the time you get terrible cosmetics makes it uninteresting. The good thing is that the lore is really well presented and the other half of exploring is learning about the world and the story so that's actually really good.

The good

The Story: The story is better than I anticipated, sure there are dull dialogues and weird attitudes from characters at some moments but the main tale is entertaining and it takes you to really interesting places. Characters are fine and you get to care about the cast at the end of the game. Some really brilliant moments towards the end and great world building seal the deal. Is not super original or well writen but it's way better than what we get in the movies.

Lore: I mentioned ealiers but finding stories around the planets you visit and how the connect with the main story is one of the main aspects that drove me to keep playing the game when I was bored of the gameplay. I didn't read every tiny piece of lore I got but every time you get something you either listen a bit of audio or Cal comments on it so you always get something somehow.
Also, they way they handled being between an existing timeline and universe is pretty good and they can still come up with things to make it interesting even if we know where it all ends, they could distance themselves if they're allowed.

Music: The score is what you would expect from the franchise but it's an original score that fits really well and has some really cool tunes. There are some fanservice moments but they're executed fantastically.

Human combat: I already mentioned this but fighting humans is the best the game has to offer gameplaywise, elites are cool to fight and you engage them in different ways, and bosses are really good with some really standout encounters especially in the later half.

It almost lost me at some point but a really great back end brought me back. Great story, some really good fights, cool planets, and some excellent moments made it a worthwhile experience. There are some big problems with performance, visuals, monster design and exploration but I hope they can improve for a next installment.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The micro stutters/hitching on PC really puts a damper on the entire games performance. It runs well enough other than that, I can even forgive the sudden 30 second loading in the middle of a level where everything just freezes.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about 10 or so hours in and it's finally getting to a point where I feel comfortable with it. I've really been struggling with the janky feeling of this game. Sliding controls just feel bad and having to jump to a rope can feel way harder than it should be. Having bugs and small animals do significantly more damage than most regular enemies just feels silly to me. But as I'm getting more force powers and learning better ways of dealing with many enemies, it's getting easier. It can be annoying when you have a whole group of enemies attacking you from all sides, dealing massive damage, while you're trying to fight the camera.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fuck this game is difficult.

Even playing on Jedi Knight, I cannot progress on Dathomir, at all. I switch to Story Mode and it had no challenge at all - what is the point?

Why is the difficult spike so high, even on the easiest difficulty that actually presents a slights challenge?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if them forcing some more cut scenes in the game would help make things feel more fleshed out. Too much of the story felt rushed cause of how instant travel is in the game, it takes less than a minute to jump to another planet and unless you talk to ppl on your ship, you really don't get lot of background and miss lot of things. Even then things feel rushed. Some cut scenes showing more going on between travel trips and such would go a long way. Unlike like KOTOR where you spend long periods of times with the NPCs, you barely talk to them in this game so some of the story beats feel off.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017

Even playing on Jedi Knight, I cannot progress on Dathomir, at all. I switch to Story Mode and it had no challenge at all - what is the point?

Why is the difficult spike so high, even on the easiest difficulty that actually presents a slights challenge?
You can go to the other planet that opened up, if you're still early.

Nov 17, 2019

Dathomir is a hard planet. Try doing another planet first and then return to dathomir later.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
You can go to the other planet that opened up, if you're still early.
Dathomir is a hard planet. Try doing another planet first and then return to dathomir later.
Yeah Dathomir was my first chosen planet. Unfortunately, I am at a save spot right after some ravine with ropes hanging to get to it, so I cannot go back (at least, that I have figured out).

Since that post I realized I can cheese this save spot with rest though, as I can fairly easily beat the first three enemies there but once I get beyond that I have trouble. I've just gone back and rested to respawn them over and over and have gotten a few new skills as a result. I'm slowly but surely getting this game under control, but it's definitely a struggle sometimes.

Nov 17, 2019
Yeah Dathomir was my first chosen planet. Unfortunately, I am at a save spot right after some ravine with ropes hanging to get to it, so I cannot go back (at least, that I have figured out).

Since that post I realized I can cheese this save spot with rest though, as I can fairly easily beat the first three enemies there but once I get beyond that I have trouble. I've just gone back and rested to respawn them over and over and have gotten a few new skills as a result. I'm slowly but surely getting this game under control, but it's definitely a struggle sometimes.

Eventually you'll hit a point where you can't continue because you need an ability gained on another planet. However, you do get something really cool for your trouble.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017

If you are still there, you can swing right back across and leave. Running start to the first rope.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any major patches to clean up bugs yet or is that not in EA's budget for this?

My backlog is close to clearing and I'm wondering if I want to go ahead and play through this or keep waiting out for a patch.

Dust

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it.
Ehhh...it was solid but nothing remarkable, it is just frankenstein’s monster of popular game designs. Story was also extremely boring, I just didn’t care about any of it.

I did however like the combat and the BD droid, little dude was better designed than film ones.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Have there been any major patches to clean up bugs yet or is that not in EA's budget for this?

My backlog is close to clearing and I'm wondering if I want to go ahead and play through this or keep waiting out for a patch.

There have been 2 bigger patches to my knowledge on PS4. The first improved loading times I think, although they can still be somewhat long if you die frequently. The second fixed a whole lot of various bugs. Game is still relatively buggy, although I've had no major crashes and it hasn't effected my general enjoyment. I once got suspended in air in a corner although the game fixed itself, and a few times the screen froze but righted itself. And once last night skill points loaded in like 30 seconds after I beat an enemy. Nothing to make it unplayable or anything.

I would probably expect a few more patches in the coming weeks as there is as I said more to fix, and they were pretty good about getting 2 out pretty fast before thanksgiving.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

As others have said, if its early, you can go to easier parts of the game and revisit when you've leveled up. I kept trying to kill the frog on the first planet with no stems and then just left and came back with some health refills and he wasn't bad at all.

On humanoid enemies I also recommend force slow, lots of them become way easier if you remember to use it. (Doesn't seem to help much on the animal/monster type of enemies as they still track you when you they are slow.)

smuppet

Dec 12, 2017
I just started this today and after a couple of hours my main thought while I've been playing has been... this feels bad. Like, really bad. I really want to like this game but I haven't had such an immediately negative reaction to a game in a long time. Playing on a PS4 there is obviously the performance issue, I haven't played a worse performing game since The Evil Within. On top of that, movement feels really sluggish, the character taking half a second to start moving after you tilt the stick, the same with the camera, and several times the character fails to grab onto handholds when they should have.

And the combat feels terrible. What with the glow of the lightsabre swinging all over the place obscuring the view, the framerate tanking and the lack of hit feedback I can't really tell what is happening a lot of the time. I tried turning off motion blur and screen shake to make things more legible but it doesn't really help. The parrying feels very hit or miss, even after knocking the difficulty down to the lower settings. It often looks like I'm blocking but I'll be taking damage. Often I'll swing at an enemy from close range but it won't connect when it looked like it should have. Fighting the frog boss thing on the first planet, his leap attack would often land right on top of me and do no damage, but then an other time I would clearly dodge away and it would hit me. The dodge feels bad too, it is too slow and the range too short. Having just finished Nioh, this combat feels sorely lacking.

It's hard to believe this is from Respawn because Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends both feel so smooth, responsive and polished, and this really doesn't. Hopefully it clicks for me at some point and I can enjoy the combat, because I love Soulslikes, Metroidvanias and Respawn, but so far I'm very disappointed.

Last edited:

TheModestGun

Dec 5, 2017
Just finished up the story tonight and ended the game feeling VERY mixed on it. I think there are some really amazing moments throughout, but the mushiness of the combat really detracted from the game. The enemy telegraphing is very bad in this game at times and that doesn’t work so great for souls like combat, especially when the game loads you with a stupid amount of enemies at once. Just in general really was down on the encounter design.

that being said, I really look forward to the possibilities of a sequel tightening it all up, and really shining.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Got the platinum trophy yesterday. Two hours before it, suddenly my PS4 gave me an error message which said the database was corrupted. Out of the frigging blue. Given how buggy that game is and how many players have had their save files corrupted, I can't help but think it may have been the culprit for that as well.

Anyway, I honestly believe this game has one of the best third acts this whole gen. Once you build a certain something for yourself, it picks up the pace and doesn't slow down until the credits start rolling.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
finished it. Ok game, brief moment of excitement in the story here and there but overall eh

the dathomir section was by far the best part of the game. The rest was very mixed.

Morrigan

The MandaloRIAN
Oct 24, 2017
Gave up on Grandmaster. :( Dying in 2, mayyybe 3 hits, constantly, was just getting exhausting.

Jedi Master is ridiculously easier so far though. That Dathomir monster was now a piece of cake (if I mess a parry it's no big deal either whereas it was pretty much instant death before), and I killed that big spider midboss in one attempt which is unheard of... and I can be so sloppy and make tons of mistakes still. It's kind of ridiculous.

Why can't developers balance the settings properly, I swear.
Im about to start playing , love soulsekiro games, what difficulty should i choose?

lol welp

ShinobiBk

Dec 28, 2017
Finally finished the game
Felt like a 7/10 from beginning to end
Very enjoyable, I'm not really a Star Wars fan at all but the game loop was still pretty addicting for me and I had fun.
It's a complete shitshow on base consoles. I upgraded to Xbox One X for the last few hours which improved visuals significantly but performance was still dodgy.
Ok story, nothing to write home about.
Merrin gets introduced so late, she's pretty cool but has so little to do, it almost felt like a mistake to add her. She should've been introduced as part of your party way before the end of the game.
Combat felt like a worse version of Sekiro the entire time, which is still good just not top notch.
The lack of fast travel led to so much wasted time back tracking and getting lost, I see no reason fast travel not in the game. That's a huge blemish to me.
Ending was alright, I was a little disappointed after people on here hyped it so much. It was a fun sequence and all but I wasn't blown away or anything.

The game was a cake walk on Jedi Master. Only boss that gave me real trouble was Ogdo Bogdo and that was mostly cause I fought them super early

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

The devs were a little too clever for their own good by opening up Dathomir early. You have to realize it’s too hard and move on and not everyone plays games that way. Best advice for everyone is pretend Dathomir isn’t there and wait until the story tells you to go there.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I went from having no issues with the game other than some occasional framerate issues. To tons of delayed loading, bugs, sound glitches etc. After switching back to my original PS4 pro hard drive.

Seems really dependent on HDD.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The devs were a little too clever for their own good by opening up Dathomir early. You have to realize it’s too hard and move on
There's a point on Dathomir where you can't progress anymore if you manage to survive the initial challenges and a good reward that otherwise only comes at the halfway point of the game.

It's basically a place to check your skills and get some extra exp before going to Zeffo.

Last edited:

Bansai

Oct 28, 2017
Think I came up with a different solution to this puzzle.
I did something similar, instead of throwing it in the air, I let go of it near the egde, immediately used force slow, jumped down and pulled it lol.

This is, without a doubt, the best Star Wars game I've played since Jedi Academy, I only wish it was longer. Definitely gonna replay it soon.

Oct 24, 2019

i get that everyone has different skill levels, but you *really* should not be struggling that much on Jedi Knight. On Jedi Master the only really difficult parts are some of the boss fights and everything else is a mild challenge.

Here’s a hint: if you just started the game, Dathomir should not be your first destination

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
i get that everyone has different skill levels, but you *really* should not be struggling that much on Jedi Knight. On Jedi Master the only really difficult parts are some of the boss fights and everything else is a mild challenge.

Here’s a hint: if you just started the game, Dathomir should not be your first destination
I have since figured out Dathomir shouldnt have been the first stop, thanks to the forced stop at the place I'm supposed to be able to jump higher and several comments in this thread. Somebody said they hint in the game that Dathomir should not have been the first place, but it is presented as one of two options in the initial briefing and then as you're leaving Bogano you can see Dathomir referenced again on a wall so I thought that was a hint I should go there first. I guess I missed something somewhere.

As for the difficulty, I'm sure for a lot of people this game is easy enough. I have never played a Souls game or Bloodborne or any of the other games that this often compares to, and the combat in this is wildly different than any other game I have ever played. The block and party mechanics have been difficult for me to grasp, and the camera issues do not help. Several times in the hallways on Dathomir my camera has got stuck or pushed things at an odd angle, to the point where I cant even see the enemies for several seconds at a time. In the location I referenced earlier going against a trio of Nightbrothers and then a series of 6 others as I went through the area, I am being conservative guessing I died at least 20 times. Probably closer to 30.

Me being unable to figure out the combat is a me problem that I hope to address, but the camera issues are certainly with the game (as evidenced by a few other people in this thread making comments).

I'm sure as it goes on I will be able to get a good grasp on everything, but for now i am firmly in the camp that this game is difficult.