Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order |OT| Respawn of the Jedi

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Which is pretty sad that EA can't accomplish a technically sound game on PS4 Pro with UE4....
Battlefront II also ran perfectly, why not just use Frostbite again, you even had many of the assets ready? It even looks better in many places.

They do? I just look out for the red, I will try to hear it. Most of the time they also have telling animations, but it is still a stupid design decision. Also the slow-down on the first hit on golden enemies is also some bullshit.
Frostbite is notoriously EXTREMLY hard to adapt to anything else than what it was made for: first person battlefield type games. Bioware for example really struggled with the engine and thats part of the reason both mass effect andromeda and anthem had issues. High chance the game as it is now wouldn't even be possible with frostbite.

Travaughn

Oct 27, 2017
The game could really benefit from having a much tighter parry system, along with a tremendously expanded moveset. Square should be for light attacks as it is now, and triangle should've been for heavy attacks. Also enemies should be bound to the same systems as you are.
Taron Malicos
can spam force attacks with no means of regenerating force power, that coupled with enemies occasionally entirely regaining stamina after they've been struck once, after said stamina had been whittled down is annoying. We also have enemies who stagger you and interrupt your attacks when they successfully connect but aren't staggered when you're slashing them with a super heated blade or even worse is the lightsaber phasing through enemies and not dealing any damage.​

I truly like the game, but these issues are vexing and it seems like Respawn did zero play testing, and very little, if any, debugging.​

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
using the same chest opening animation underwater looks so janky. needs better loot for the chests too.

Bunzy

Nov 1, 2018
Yeah this really bothered me. Loved the game overall but little bits of polish like this would’ve gone a long way.
Honestly I think a lot of the jank we see is obviously a rushed timeframe due to ea wanting this game out before episode 9.

if this game wasn’t tied to a movie then we would of seen it around feb March next year

Also don’t get me wrong, game was super fun and enjoyable but you could see the game was rushed to hit a certain date

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Really not liking the combat in this game at all. Not clicking with me at all. Doesn’t make me feel like a Jedi at all
some tips:

1) make an effort to get used to parrying: don't haphazardly switch between blocking and parrying, because that frequently ruins the timing; make note of enemy patterns; keep track of enemy stamina bars so you can see how parrying affects them

2) make an effort to get used to dodging: the basic dodge has invisibility frames, has a couple of useful abilities attached to it, and is generally pretty powerful

3) emphasize Force regeneration abilities, especially the stim one that unlocks a bit later in the game, and utilize them purposefully

4) using Force powers as much as possible for the purposes of crowd control, putting the pressure on, and giving you more room to breathe should be a crucial part of your Force meter management

5) in general, at some point in the game you'll find you have a lot of options as you move from encounter to encounter, and the combat is more fun if you find ways to integrate all of your abilities

6) don't be afraid to lower the difficulty if the game is frustrating you

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Charlotte NC
Major late game boss spoiler warning but This game is incredibly consistent and reliable if you've figured out the nuances of the mechanics and all of the parry and dodge timings on top of your attacks. All things considered i'm really good at the game myself but some players are on some other level.
That’s freaking amazing, but...there’s no incentive for me to attempt to get that good because this is a one and done title. No reason to ever play it again, because at the end of the day it’s a shallow game.

ShinobiBk

Dec 28, 2017
This is the game that convinced me to buy an Xbox One X this weekend with the sales going on. It looks and runs like complete shit on Xbox One S I couldn't take it anymore.
Ironically, I'm definitely finishing the game before my X arrives. But I also bought Control on Black Friday, which I heard performs really poorly too

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That’s freaking amazing, but...there’s no incentive for me to attempt to get that good because this is a one and done title. No reason to ever play it again, because at the end of the day it’s a shallow game.
Personally i'm still having fun listening to the convos between crew members and just exploring trying to 100%. Crazy that people are still discovering new strats. Like,
those fucking flying bounty hunters can have their jetpacks destroyed which takes away their major advantage.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Completed my second play through and i wish you could skip cutscenes already.It could have been a nice game to play a few more times but i don't have the patience to wait for the cutscenes and tutorials.

.I hope they are working on some kind of NG+ and maybe a future DLC.

VanCityGamer

Oct 28, 2017
How do you guys feel about Fallen Order's graphics? I'm playing on Xbox One X and am not very impressed. I'm in a jungle environment right now that is just super bland IMO. And it seems like a lot of the game has an atmospheric mist that doesn't look very good. I dunno.

I'm also playing Death Stranding right now which looks absolutely gorgeous in comparison on my 4K TV.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
How do you guys feel about Fallen Order's graphics? I'm playing on Xbox One X and am not very impressed. I'm in a jungle environment right now that is just super bland IMO. And it seems like a lot of the game has an atmospheric mist that doesn't look very good. I dunno.

I'm also playing Death Stranding right now which looks absolutely gorgeous in comparison on my 4K TV.
so far i think the environments look pretty good but the character models of the mantis crew are hit or miss imo. cal and greeze both look good but cere looks kinda weird.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding this incredibly bland so far. When it was first announced and shown I had a really bad feeling about it, but then as time went on there were a lot of positive comments saying the game wasn't what we thought it was gonna be. I actually started to get excited for it and decided to buy it (honestly, only because I basically got it for free). But I should have trusted my instinct like I normally do and ignored it completely. There's moments where you could sense a somewhat decent game in there, but it rarely shines through.

I'll give it one more session, but if it doesn't pick up soon I'm gonna drop it.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Frostbite is notoriously EXTREMLY hard to adapt to anything else than what it was made for: first person battlefield type games. Bioware for example really struggled with the engine and thats part of the reason both mass effect andromeda and anthem had issues. High chance the game as it is now wouldn't even be possible with frostbite.
Frostbite caused huge problems for Inquisition, too. Kind of funny to see someone posting “why didn’t EA just use Frostbite??” when the consistent narrative until now has been “EA is ruining games and franchises by forcing studios to use Frostbite in areas it fits poorly, and despite programmers at the studios being more familiar with Unreal”

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I think it looks fine, but there are definitely parts that stick out as looking worse than others. Parts of Kashyyyk are really bad.

VanCityGamer

Oct 28, 2017
I think it looks fine, but there are definitely parts that stick out as looking worse than others. Parts of Kashyyyk are really bad.
Yeah, that's true. It's Kashyyyk that I'm in right now that looks especially bad IMO.

Other parts do look okay. But even that...I would hope the bar is higher for a huge new AAA game than okay. I'm a bit disappointed in that aspect. It's definitely not a stunning game graphically.

Jtwo

Oct 25, 2017
Some of this enemy placement is making me suspicious.
On the second planet there is a section that features a Rocket Launcher Storm Trooper at a door on top of a small cliffside path. On the way to him there are two of the Mole creatures that burrow up from the ground and pounce on you. Its just a cheap placement. Of course, they don't aggro until you get right on top of them. I've played that specific pathway about dozen times to just to confirm my suspicions, and its totally random whether or not they pounce Cal upon Aggro. And then, to top it off you would think you can bait the creatures to be killed by the rocket launcher but it doesn't kill them in one hit! Like any game similar to this I've mastered that section and moved on, but it wasn't satisfying.

I've also noticed how strange it is to be playing one of these run based combat games where by design you repeat segments a few or numerous times, that is also a big traditional narrative and production values. You end up hearing the Stormtroopers barks and repeating platforming segments quite often I've found. Which isn't the same as repeating incredibly well thought out and meticulously designed combat sections as with other, similar, games.

Just really weird. I'm having a good time though. It's definitely Star Wars.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Major late game boss spoiler warning but This game is incredibly consistent and reliable if you've figured out the nuances of the mechanics and all of the parry and dodge timings on top of your attacks. All things considered i'm really good at the game myself but some players are on some other level.
I love how this looks, too bad that the game is easy enough for me to just brute force my way through everything. I never even had time to really learn the perfect dodge timing to use that skill, because everything is already easily beatable just using a normal parry-strike rhythm with some Force powers thrown in.

I guess I could replay on Grandmaster difficulty level, but I don't really feel that the game offers enough stuff to warrant a replay.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I love how this looks, too bad that the game is easy enough for me to just brute force my way through everything. I never even had time to really learn the perfect dodge timing to use that skill, because everything is already easily beatable just using a normal parry-strike rhythm with some Force powers thrown in.

I guess I could replay on Grandmaster difficulty level, but I don't really feel that the game offers enough stuff to warrant a replay.
Grandmaster is fundamentally a different game entirely, because you 100% NEED to know parry timings and such, there's no leniency and you get punished really hard for mistakes. Makes every fight feel much more intense than what i've seen on the easier modes.

Last edited:

Griff

Aug 12, 2018
Twin Peaks, Washington
Beat it last night. Played on Grand Master and loved it. Didn't encounter any major bugs and I'm surprised by some of the more lukewarm reception. I loved the characters, and really felt like it captured the feeling of a crew that cared for eachother and had a mission to achieve that they took seriously.

My only complaint is that it feels like it ends right when it really got its hooks in me.

Con't wait for a sequel.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Game seems great so far, but I feel like the Force meter should be on screen at all times. Seems like a really weird design decision.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
The Force Meter doesn’t apply outside of combat as it would limit using your force abilities for navigation.
Yeah, but when you're running through areas, it only pops up once enemies engage you, so sometimes I find myself running up on guys, trying to pop a power and not having enough juice. It's just annoying.

sandboxgod

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I have a save from when I had just arrived on
illium
just in case. Most modern games in general should let you have multiple save files. As i'm absolutely the type to have a greatest hits tier save list.
just to follow up I was able to get the saves from that site to work just fine. Unfortunately, the dude apparently never got much XP. His skill tree was missing lots of good stuff. Surely people dont get higher XP at higher levels of difficulty? Cause on Jedi master, right at that planet you mentioned I had way more stuff unlocked than that guy did. Or maybe I spent a lot more time scanning than he did. Also my sense of direction is bad- could be I got lost way more often and killed way more enemies. Idk

I had to grind a little to unlock the lightsaber dmg bonus skill for the major boss after that area. He's way too spongey w/o the bonus on Jedi master+

Man Devil May Cry 5 really spoiled me by letting me relive boss fights and stuff with those additional modes it has. Plus since the game is shorter I had no problem playing it over & over at higher difficulties. But Fallen Order- I'm not eager to replay from the very start...

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
game got so easy once i learned force pull and got the more powerful force pull option. don't even have to put any effort and just bring enemies to me and stab them.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished the game.
I enjoyed it but truth be told eventually I enjoyed it less and less as time went on.
I feel like I spent close to an hour just crawling through tight cracks.
Probably somewhere around 90 minutes sliding down ramps.
Then at least 4-5 hours doing various never challenging platforming.
Combat was okay but felt pretty monotonous / same old same old towards the end game.
I just felt like I had put in enough time playing that it would be ridiculous not to beat it, but towards the end I just wanted it to be over already.
So it is a real big shame what was probably the best part of the game, the end "mission," was also the shortest overall too.

I praised the game earlier in the thread. Twice actually. But as time went on, it started losing a lot of its appeal.
If they do a sequel, which I hope they do, I want way more variety and I want them to start the game out as a powerful badass and build on that if necessary. If they do a sequel and pull the whole "strip the character of their powers" bullshit it seems so many other games / sequels do, I will almost definitely not even bother.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Anyone else get a bug where new outfits, ponchos and mantis paint jobs arent showing up in the inventory when you get them? It's super frustrating doing all this backtracking to explore and find these things for them just not to appear in my inventory.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I was really excited for this game, but I’ve just died to fucking goats more times than stormtroopers. This is ridiculous.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on when we will get a patch to fix the performance issues/stuttering on PC? I am holding off playing until its released. It's ridiculous the game was released this way.

Wonderment

Oct 27, 2017
There's a late game boss fight that shows directly that getting your opponent's block stamina to zero leaves them vulnerable to attacks.

Those space goats are actually giant spitting slugs with ram horns. Yuck.

Khrn

Oct 27, 2017
Which is pretty sad that EA can't accomplish a technically sound game on PS4 Pro with UE4....
Battlefront II also ran perfectly, why not just use Frostbite again, you even had many of the assets ready? It even looks better in many places.
Respawn has never used Frostbite, outside of some developers who moved to them from other EA studios. Both Titanfall games, for example, were in the Source Engine. Unreal Engine, however, has gone through many iterations for the past two decades or so, and most developers have used at least one version of it. Even though UE4 is obviously different than UE3, a lot of the workflow remains the same. Not to mention that they certainly had devs who used UE4 before.

Hopefully the console issues will be addressed soon, but I don't think a different engine would mean fewer bugs. Just different ones.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I finished this game on Jedi Master. Don't think I ever precision dodged or parried melee attacks lol, definitely didn't do anything like those clips. leaned heavily on dodging completely out of the way, abused the charging heavy attack and the split saber attack.

Got a bit tricky towards the end with the enemy density but the group force pull/push works wonders. The enemies regenerating their stamina seemingly instantly got a bit annoying but it got easy enough to work with their attack timing.

Maybe I'll revisit this when they polish performance up a bit more and maybe add expansions.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Game grabbed me again. Now, they really love to push it into the worst situations ever for performance, right? Just came back from the red planet and man, stop with the set pieces, the game can't handle them.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Game grabbed me again. Now, they really love to push it into the worst situations ever for performance, right? Just came back from the red planet and man, stop with the set pieces, the game can't handle them.
Yeah, just went thru the chase setpiece on Kashyyk and was just shaking my head at the performance :(
Also, had an enemy run up to me in full T-Pose....

Seriously, I just wish Respawn would have used Source

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Opening hour looks incredible, second area looks much worse. Training room legit looks like a high definition PS2 title. The rest of the game is varying levels of mediocre to good. Cal's hair physics are next gen.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Really hope they figure out a way to do new game plus. Let me keep my lightsaber abilities, but just take the force powers since those are what lock exploration.

I just want to replay the entire game with all the combat options of the last 3 hours.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Rim
I was cleaning up trophies yesterday for the plat, and I was coming out of the elevator in one of the tombs on Zeffo, and the area hadn't finished loading, so I stepped off the edge and fell for like 30 seconds before finally finding oblivion. XD