• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 8 hours, 26 minutes, 20 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order |OT| Respawn of the Jedi

Zedelima

Oct 25, 2017
i had an enjoyable enough time with this, but in the end, the mix of an Uncharted-style movie game and the Souls-like just felt kind of goofy together. Like, the bonfire system in the more linear levels was such a round peg square hole situation. I'm not sure more time in the oven could have fixed that.
I think we needed more uncharted and less dark souls

xeecee

Oct 27, 2017
(very minor late game collectible spoilers)

Is the collectible on Ilum where you find "Mar'ti Kam'ron"'s cowboy hat a reference to someone specific? The codex entry even gives him a nickname, and Mar'ti Kam'ron definitely looks like a Star-Wars-ified real name. Just wondering, because it's kind of sweet if it's a real memorial.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Is the collectible on Ilum where you find "Mar'ti Kam'ron"'s cowboy hat a reference to someone specific? The codex entry even gives him a nickname, and Mar'ti Kam'ron definitely looks like a Star-Wars-ified real name. Just wondering, because it's kind of sweet if it's a real memorial.
Here's the explanation for it.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. I missed a scan or two in the final area. Is there any way to go back there and get those or am I screwed for the platinum trophy?
The same thing happened to me. They should be unlocked if you check the databank. They were for me.

Yep. It's a reference to a developer's father, who worked at LucasArts and passed away earlier this year.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

xeecee

Oct 27, 2017

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Parts of this game are amazing but difficulty spikes are almost unforgivable. I'm playing Jedi Knight which I think is normal comparable and I'm having sever trouble with the sister bosses. I don't want to drop down to a lower difficulty just for a few sections. Why make a mass market games normal difficulty so punishing?

Rez

Oct 25, 2017
Parts of this game are amazing but difficulty spikes are almost unforgivable. I'm playing Jedi Knight which I think is normal comparable and I'm having sever trouble with the sister bosses. I don't want to drop down to a lower difficulty just for a few sections. Why make a mass market games normal difficulty so punishing?
It’s a general problem with having a difficulty level in a game that’s about more than one type of interaction with the world. Like, you pick “hard”, but that doesn’t make the platforming any harder. It doesn’t make the puzzles simpler. So you get these perceived spikes because the game doesn’t actually have a difficulty curve. It has a difficulty comb, sort of. You’re only tested every couple of hours and it just ends up feeling ick.

Couple that with bosses that are more traditionally “phasey” than a typical Souls boss and it’s all a bit, I dunno, imprecise. It doesn’t feel good.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just finished it, overall I really enjoyed it and it's a very solid starting point, which hopefully a sequel can make even better, hopefully with more polish / less bugs.

The ending of the story was a slight let down though, expected something..... well not that anyway.

After all that, they just destroy the damn list, making the whole plot pretty pointless, they might as well not looked for the damn thing in the first place and left it hidden forever in the temple.

Expected a sequel to follow that plot, so not sure what they would do for a sequel now. Hopefully they can think of something interesting.

Things I'd like for a sequel.

More Force Powers - Light Side / Dark Side.
The ability to aim and shoot blasters.
More vehicle sections like the AT-AT section and maybe a few space battles would be cool.
More dialogue options with NPC's.
Infiltration mission, dressed as a Stormtrooper.
More costumes to wear, not just colour swaps.

Kevin360

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished this tonight.

Really great game that would have been better had I not been spoiled on some ending stuff already.

Nov 1, 2017
So I tried searching for this and couldn't find an answer here or on the wider internet..

Do you think I'll enjoy this game / be able to follow the story if I have never seen a star wars movie / show? I don't have anything against star wars - I have just never really been interested enough to check it out. However, this type of game (action / metroidvania with a splash of dark souls from what I hear) sounds awesome to me so I think I'll enjoy the gameplay. My only hangup is I don't want to be completely lost on the plot.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So I tried searching for this and couldn't find an answer here or on the wider internet..

Do you think I'll enjoy this game / be able to follow the story if I have never seen a star wars movie / show? I don't have anything against star wars - I have just never really been interested enough to check it out. However, this type of game (action / metroidvania with a splash of dark souls from what I hear) sounds awesome to me so I think I'll enjoy the gameplay. My only hangup is I don't want to be completely lost on the plot.
The main thing you need to know is that order 66 refers to the clones betraying the jedi and killing nearly all of them.

thats why cal is in hiding.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
This game suffers a problem I feel a lot of games suffer and that is the story becomes very messy and convoluted because it needs to service the actual game. In the end, you find out you really only need to go to Dathomir to get the damn atrium. However, before that trip you visit Zeffo twice and Kashyyyk twice. The two visits tell to Zeffo tell you that you need an atrium while the visit to the giant tree in Kashyyyk tells you that the atrium is in Dathomir.

The game really just needed better reasoning for going to certain planets because I couldn’t help but feel I was sent all around for a piece of info that really isn’t needed since Dathomir was on the map in the first place. I had this issue in God of War too where the objective is right there but I have to do stuff like get a key and then the encryption code to use said key. Even then the reasoning in that game made more sense.

Fury451

Oct 27, 2017
This game suffers a problem I feel a lot of games suffer and that is the story becomes very messy and convoluted because it needs to service the actual game. In the end, you find out you really only need to go to Dathomir to get the damn atrium. However, before that trip you visit Zeffo twice and Kashyyyk twice. The two visits tell to Zeffo tell you that you need an atrium while the visit to the giant tree in Kashyyyk tells you that the atrium is in Dathomir.

The game really just needed better reasoning for going to certain planets because I couldn’t help but feel I was sent all around for a piece of info that really isn’t needed since Dathomir was on the map in the first place. I had this issue in God of War too where the objective is right there but I have to do stuff like get a key and then the encryption code to use said key. Even then the reasoning in that game made more sense.
It honestly felt like padding more than anything. The game is actually quite short overall.

I’m honestly trying to be positive about this game because people seem to love it, and there’s things about it that I really like, but a lot of it feels very clumsy to me in execution. You can tell it’s a work of passion but a lot of game play elements in here are really stupid, such as the constant slides, constant wall climbing, and having to bounce between locations just to get one power that the character should probably already have, then to go back to knock down a wall or something on the planet you just left.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty normal to have a game that is short if you only do the main story. Took me 30 hours my first time...played it like I do with Dark Souls my first time. Go slow, pay attention to the environment, see what I can see. Just saying that type of stuff and the backtracking isn't padding to me, it's a great part of the game that I personally want, so everyone is different.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
The game definitely gets better as you get more force powers and as the story progresses. The last hour or so is exceptional. It even had my son who isn't that big into star wars pretty excited and looking forward to seeing the new movie.

stan_marsh

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This Platinum took a while, but finally got it:

What a fucking amazing game, I rarely Platinum games but I just couldn't get enough of Fallen Order. Will be thinking about it for a while.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished this up. Had a good deal of fun the entire way through, my usual qualms with games like this is that they take awhile to get going or get a bit long in the tooth. Like tutorials take too long or they give you too much time between getting new stuff. The game did start to feel a bit long during the return to kasshyk but had great gameplay pacing outside of that.

I really wish they were given more time with this, clear lack of polish took the game from a potential GOTY to 7/10.
  • Some segments were pretty clearly put together to enable gameplay rather than making environmental sense.
  • A lot of areas that are just not intuitive - 'I did something in a place that looked similar, so that should work here. Oh. nope'.
  • The difficulty that comes from stuffing you and 20 storm troopers in a room isn't the fun kind with this sort of deliberate combat.
  • The large majority of the chests being different skins was a huge let down, once I found that out I wasn't overly compelled to search for them

Worst of all is that story is super under developed and rushed. There's certain turning points that should have so much more impact but the rushing of it combined with the ending adds that flavour of 'team has a summer adventure'.

At least they definitely have a very solid place to run with a sequel with. I'd love to see more weapons/combat styles incorporated, some form of drops/gear, more thought and complexity to the combat.

Though I am just picturing a kind of KotOR with this system + more rpg elements. I can dream.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy the game so far, just went into
the second tomb
But maaaannn, some design decisions are so bad and the game sure is buggy. I think this is the worst AAA game on PS4 when it comes to late texture loading, I didn't even know UE4 still suffered that bad from it, it is PS3 UE3-level of bad. Also sometimes enemy don't spawn until like 20 seconds after you spawn.
And some basic stuff like "Enemy who killed you is gold", BUT IT OVERRIDES THE RED FOR UNBLOCKABLE ATTACKS?!? How do you not see something like this during QA, it is sooo stupid during bosses.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
the second tomb
But maaaannn, some design decisions are so bad and the game sure is buggy. I think this is the worst AAA game on PS4 when it comes to late texture loading, I didn't even know UE4 still suffered that bad from it, it is PS3 UE3-level of bad. Also sometimes enemy don't spawn until like 20 seconds after you spawn.
And some basic stuff like "Enemy who killed you is gold", BUT IT OVERRIDES THE RED FOR UNBLOCKABLE ATTACKS?!? How do you not see something like this during QA, it is sooo stupid during bosses.
The game is so much better on Pc with a SSD. So much more polished , less bugs , no pop in or streaming issues. Some stuttering sometimes but nothing unplayable like PS4.
It looks so much better too.

it’s like playing the real version of the game.

Rakuyo

Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I am so frustrated at the moment. I adored the time with the game and didn't want it to end, so I tried to get the platin, what I don't do very often normally.
And the last trophy I need, just don't pop for me :(
it's the one with the plants and I already read that this one can be pretty buggy.
But it looks like the plants are already fully grown, but still no trophy :(
I hope this gets patched or whatever...in the end this ruined my experience with the game.

Oct 25, 2017
England
Seems pretty normal to have a game that is short if you only do the main story. Took me 30 hours my first time...played it like I do with Dark Souls my first time. Go slow, pay attention to the environment, see what I can see. Just saying that type of stuff and the backtracking isn't padding to me, it's a great part of the game that I personally want, so everyone is different.
Is it weird I wanted more backtracking? Like, I loved going back to Bogano and unlocking more of it as I acquired more powers but they could've done more. In fact it's a little disappointing there wasn't an optional planet that was like a labyrinth that opened up more and more as you acquired more powers and had super powerful enemies the further you went in.

My only complaint is the game lacked any tangible rewards for anything. I really wish all the lightsaber parts weren't purely cosmetic. They could have tied stats to Cal's lightsaber like damage to health or stamina, blocking and parrying, penetrating damage... Plenty of things to make hunting down lightsaber parts worth doing. Not having that was a little disappointing.

xeecee

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. I think that while the middle of the story definitely meandered a bit, the third act really made good on the game’s strong opening. I love the cast and I really enjoyed the ending. This is one of my favorite nu-Star Wars things to date, story-wise.

Gameplay and design-wise, there are some odd bits and pieces that are sometimes endearing and sometimes infuriating.

-I think the biggest issue is that fundamentally, the very prequels-inspired acrobatic combat choreography does not mesh perfectly with the From-style combat. In one of those games, pressing a button is generally equivalent to one swing, sweep, or thrust. In this game, you start pressing the attack button and Cal is off to the fucking races. It looks great and I eventually got sort of used to it, but it’s inelegant even in its best moments.

-The platforming and puzzles often felt very loose and fiddly, which surprised me given how good Titanfall 2 felt. There were too many times where I felt like I had enough momentum to make a jump and juuuust barely didn’t make it—or worse, moments where I knew from the get go I had started a wall run too low or early and was committed to a fail state no matter what I did. The physics puzzles could be extremely irritating in moments where I knew what I was meant to do, but the controls and physics weren’t cooperative. The votive candles puzzle was the worst for this I think, just to give an example.

-Sliding was an awesome moment in the intro but definitely wore out its welcome, or at least was too similar every time it showed up.

-The soundtrack was great, but it was jarring whenever John Williams tracks would appear instead of original music. There are a couple of moments where this feels appropriate, but there were a couple of moments where the music was wildly out of place.

-fuck spiders. I’m not even arachnophobic there were just too many of those jerks

-The stamina bar system didn’t make much sense, considering most enemies just magically got a full bar back as soon as you landed a hit.

-Collectibles were extremely underwhelming, especially lightsaber stuff considering the game is in third person. It’s too bad, because I wanted a reason to do 100% of the exploration stuff, but unlike the Souls series it didn’t really have much to offer off the beaten path.

Overall though I loved it. The story and general Star Wars-iness of it really carries it a long way. It’s definitely one of the best Star Wars games I’ve played, up there with KOTOR2 and Republic Commando for sure.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Started this last night. I kept reading to head to Dathomir as soon as you can but damn, those guys hit hard and gang up on you, making it difficult to use parrying to break guard.

I was feeling pretty good after beating Oggdo on my first try, but Dathomir is giving me a run for my money. I got as far as the upgrade that everyone seems to be going there for, but I did do the Dark Souls run and hope for a shortcut method at one point.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the Ninth Sister. Any idea how close I am from the end? Also, do the collectibles get interesting at some point? I don't care about customizing the light saber, ponchos or paint jobs. Going back to explore previously locked paths is not rewarding at all :/

For what I played, it's basically a nice little game I probably won't remember once the end credits rolled. Confort food.

So far I am lucky with the bug and glitches. Worst I got his a couple of 10 seconds freezes. The game really needed some extra time in the oven though.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
My game glitched to SDR in rest mode, I didn’t realize until an hour later but Oof it looks way better in HDR. There’s no hdr toggle usually I compare both, but even in a blind test I could tell the difference. Bd1s lights looked blurry in sdr.

The whole scene looks flat in comparison. God I love hdr, which makes it sadder when games have a borked implementation.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Just started this on PC. Looks surprisingly good and after hour or so i haven't seen any glitches yet. Beginning is Uncharted, just not as good - set piece after set piece. I can get over that. The thing that i dislike are Cal's animations, they are garbage. Dodging, rolling, jumping does not feel good and makes me appreciate Sekiro even more. I hope some of the upgrades improve the things a little bit.

stan_marsh

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
the second tomb
To be fair, the red attacks have a very obvious loud sound effect that tells you it's coming. Was never an issue on Grand Master for me.

AJ_Wings

Oct 31, 2017
The more I'm going off the the main path to explore, the more bugs I find which really bring down the experience.

I honestly don't want to dislike this game. But FFS, in Bogano when I was facing the two giant frog monsters at once, they're clipping through each other and their models are jumping on top of each other. I'm honestly not even trying to force it and break the game yet the dumbest shit always happens to bring down the experience.

After the almost perfect campaign in Titanfall 2, I have no idea what happened here in terms of polish. This game definitely needed more months in the oven.

lowmelody

Oct 25, 2017
This game is killing me. It has perhaps the best graphics I've personally been able to get out of my humble system and I find myself just standing in places to appreciate the detail and atmosphere but the game play and large portions of the level design itself are not in anyway proportional to its art. It has the potential to be, a little bit more refinement and this could have been truly special. As it is I go from seconds away from uninstalling it to loving it. lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
After all that, they just destroy the damn list, making the whole plot pretty pointless, they might as well not looked for the damn thing in the first place and left it hidden forever in the temple.
The plot is about how the characters grow along the way. It'd be pretty bad if the game literally giving us a vision of the most likely scenario following Cal gathering the children and starting a new jedi order was followed by him saying, "Nah it'll be fine let's go get those children. Especially now that Vader knows about us and is probably on speed dial to come and fuck our shit up the second we show our faces again."

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Charlotte NC
Friend finished it this morning, he agrees with me that using dark souls as a template for the game was a bad decision. Kids aren’t gonna want to deal with that shit and impatient adults won’t either. He imagines when all is said and done people that finish this game is going to be a low percentage.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this last night. Mostly enjoyed my time, but there were several things (plot, map layout, combat, etc.) that could have been better. Good first attempt at something other than an FPS from Respawn.

lowmelody

Oct 25, 2017
Friend finished it this morning, he agrees with me that using dark souls as a template for the game was a bad decision. Kids aren’t gonna want to deal with that shit and impatient adults won’t either. He imagines when all is said and done people that finish this game is going to be a low percentage.
I agree. I also feel the mechanics are too unreliable to facilitate Dark Souls that while tough, is consistent and reliable. This game demands Dark Souls type approach without Dark Souls mirror polished mechanics. The result is occasional unavoidable misery and it didn't have to be that way.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
The game is so much better on Pc with a SSD. So much more polished , less bugs , no pop in or streaming issues. Some stuttering sometimes but nothing unplayable like PS4.
It looks so much better too.

it’s like playing the real version of the game.
Which is pretty sad that EA can't accomplish a technically sound game on PS4 Pro with UE4....
Battlefront II also ran perfectly, why not just use Frostbite again, you even had many of the assets ready? It even looks better in many places.

To be fair, the red attacks have a very obvious loud sound effect that tells you it's coming. Was never an issue on Grand Master for me.
They do? I just look out for the red, I will try to hear it. Most of the time they also have telling animations, but it is still a stupid design decision. Also the slow-down on the first hit on golden enemies is also some bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The plot is about how the characters grow along the way. It'd be pretty bad if the game literally giving us a vision of the most likely scenario following Cal gathering the children and starting a new jedi order was followed by him saying, "Nah it'll be fine let's go get those children. Especially now that Vader knows about us and is probably on speed dial to come and fuck our shit up the second we show our faces again."
Having a McGuffin is just not my favourite kind of plot trope.

I enjoyed pretty much everything thing else though and hopefully we get a sequel to improve on this really good first attempt from Respawn.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Really not liking the combat in this game at all. Not clicking with me at all. Doesn’t make me feel like a Jedi at all