Star Trek Discovery - Season 2 |OT| Exploration is logical

DieEnteWurzel

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry to hijack the DISCO thread but I'm too scared to go into the Picard one without catching up.

Does anyone know how to watch the "Children of Mars" Short Trek in Europe? I can't find it on Amazon or anywhere else.. :(

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
The first lot of Short Treks were on Netflix, hidden away in the Trailers section, but weren't released until Season 2 was, unfortunately. You'll probably have to wait unless you explore other options.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
You have to show the others that you hate a thing to be taken seriously when liking a thing.
Sadly to many people go down this road. Then they get upset when called on it. You get used to ignoring it. It's not limited to this after all. EtectEra is filled of threads where people are like that. I've only put two people on ignore over this and one is mainly because of how they acted in here and other threads. The block hammer gets dropped quit easily on twitter though. I have no tolerance for that BS there. Not dislikes that get blocked but people acting like assholes.

Noodle

Aug 22, 2018
Maybe they just don't like Discovery and as a modern Trek show made at the same time it provides a useful contrast? People are allowed to not like things. Your pet favourite show is not diminished by it.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they just don't like Discovery and as a modern Trek show made at the same time it provides a useful contrast? People are allowed to not like things. Your pet favourite show is not diminished by it.
People not liking something is fine. We all have different taste. One doesn't have to like Discovery. One says their piece and moves on like a normal person. The problem is people that take every chance they get to shit on it when it doesn't need to be brought up. Or who will hit Discovery with negatives only to praise something else for doing the same thing or something very similar. Or and this really drives me up the F'n wall, people that think Star Trek is only what they say it is and if it doesn't align is crap no questions asked. Those are the people I can't stand and are the problem. Also those that feel they can talk about the show after watching two or three episodes, admit that, and then say it's crap as a definitive statement.. I would push back on that when it comes to any show, especially one that is serialized.

As I said this isn't limited to Discovery but this part of the forum in general. People tend to act like it's their mission at times to crap on something any chance they get or even outright lie about it.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Except people aren’t really contrasting the shows. They just say “so much better than Discovery”.

And? People can like different things. Don’t get your feelings hurt about shit that doesn’t matter.
My feelings aren’t hurt. I was just pointing out a pattern I saw.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Any Trek is good Trek. Except normally half of any trek TV/Film series is rubbish or at least a bit naff

I can generally find something positive to say about all of it though, even the shows I consider "bad"

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I hope they pull some jackassery and bring Lorca back, either his mirror counterpart or the real one.
So many people hating on Discovery when they talk about liking Picard.
Which is fine but at the same time I find the shows are very similar in tone, melodrama, etc. So other than nostalgia for Picard (who is written to be quite different) I can't see how they like one while disliking the other and this goes both ways.

Dec 11, 2017
6 episodes into this season, I have to say it's quite good. Occasionally still seems unnecessarily corny but overall I'm a fan. The first few episodes of Season 1 didn't do it for me but I feel like the whole thing has matured since then.

Sonequa Martin-Green is fucking brilliant. Also starting to really like Pike. In general I think the character conflicts and development are solid.

Special effects are excellent. I like some of the new species introduced and despite looking like the fuckin girl from The Ring I thought the Ba'ul was, if nothing else, a highly original take.

The weak spot for me is still Michelle Yeoh. I understand who her character is supposed to be and I like her attitude but I just don't think she's great in the role. I don't know if it's her acting or what. Frankly the Section 31 people are just annoying and contrived in general and I don't give a shit about any of them.

Lastly, highly questionable choice to
have the Red Angel apparently a human a super-suit and what looks like a fuckin motorcycle helmet. Lol what is that?

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
pretty sure that what's gonna happen
Maybe, but the intention was Section 31 would show how it went from Discovery to DS9:

"If you know Section 31, you know that by the time Deep Space Nine comes around they've gone underground and they are this mysterious organisation – but there's nothing official about it," he said.

"In the promos [for season 2] that you've seen so far, Section 31 has a badge. There's a ship and all these different things, so the question is: how do they get from here to there?

"What happened in that window of time between those two pivot points in Section 31’s evolution?"
Star Trek Georgiou spin-off with Michelle Yeoh will get started after Discovery season 3

Kzinti

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.S Discovery
well that was well before the ending of season 2 so kurtzman couldn't reveal much beside nothing is really set in stone until filming so eh we'll see soon enough

Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious the ending of sesaon 2 happened so they wouldn't have to deal with canon issues anymore, especially setting them off so far in the future, they could have changed Section 31 after that.

Oct 25, 2017
The Ocean
LOVE this.

I'm so excited for the new season. Rebuilding the Federation is a cool concept and actually something Roddenberry came up with (not for Star Trek, but still).
I love that it’s a goal. People harp on and on about how this isn’t Star Trek because it’s not an idealist future any more - forgetting that without any adversity and challenges to overcome there are few interesting stories to tell in an original story. I am excited!

Dec 11, 2017
Not sure if I already posted this but that last episode of S2 was fucking wild and exactly the kind of shit I want to see from modern Star Trek.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
yeah so maybe a May premiere? We don't really know yet.
Alright, whenever it will be I can't wait! :D I managed to make myself forget about Season 2 airing last year so when I one night randomly had Netflix ping my phone and tell me that Season 2 Episode 1 is available now it was such a nice shadow-drop moment for me that I completely stopped doing anything else and started to watch it right away.

SG-17

Oct 25, 2017
Jan 29, 2018
Anthony Rapp just said on Twitter today or yesterday that they are nearly done filming season 3. I bet we get a date announced shortly after Picard finishes.