So assuming a direct sequel to Three Houses came out, which path do you think it would spin out of? Open spoilers obviously.

Which path is canon

• Crimson Flower

Votes: 140 45.0%
  • Silver Snow

Votes: 34 10.9%
  • Azure Moon

Votes: 39 12.5%
  • Verdant Wind

Votes: 98 31.5%

• Total voters

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
Traveling without moving
The one where Edelgard rightfully ascends the throne and rules forever and ever.

It is weird how she's batshit insane in a few of the other paths, but in her own path she's not nearly as unhinged. Her character is completely different in different paths.

HylianSeven

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Really only of the Azure Moon Route, she’s a secondary antagonist on the other routes. Nemesis and Those Who Slither in the Dark are the closest the game has to an overarching villain.
I've actually been writing a draft on a thread about this, but it's always very interesting to me how the only "objective" villain is Nemesis and Those Who Slither In The Dark. Edelgard is debatable, Dimitri is debatable, Rhea/the Church is debatable, and I don't think anyone considers Claude a villain in any route.

Even then, given the history of Those Who Slither, the story of how they ended up underground is raises questions. It does say they turned against the Goddess, but I have to wonder if it was really "They came up with this technology and were playing god therefore they were clearly against the Church." I think as far as we see them in Three Houses, there's no real debate that they are evil: They kidnap people, do blood experiments on them that shorten lifespans, zombie experiments, replacing people by disguising themselves, nuking a fort they lost that still had some of their own soldiers in it because they would rather destroy it than just lose it, the list goes on.

I had kind of hoped with all the teasing about Abyss and the Underground, that maybe in Cindered Shadows we will get to see more of Those Who Slither In The Dark. That glimpse of them we get to see in Silver Snow and Verdant Wind was really fascinating.

WestEgg

Oct 25, 2017
edelgard is just that "cool motive, still murder" meme but replace murder with fascism
I’ll be the first to admit I’m biased, but Rhea fits the bill of fascism better than Edelgard. The knights of Seiros are the dominant military power of Fodlan, which she uses to keep the other church factions and the nations in thrall. She uses her power to hide the truth about the crests and the artifact weapons from the general population and props up the nobility in service to that aim. And when someone comes close to learning the truth, she responds with executing the “heretics”, like Lanoto in the early game and his followers.

Edelgard is closer to a liberal imperialist, who’s ultimate goal is to overthrow the caste system, and views herself as a liberator from a nonhuman tyrant that’s been controlling Fodlan. She’s not really interested in ruling or controlling Fodlan for herself, especially since it’s strongly implied she doesn’t have long to live. Heck, given her chat with Ferdinand about replacing the nobility with a meritocracy that provides free universal education to the public, she probably has the most progressive ideals of the leaders.

I also don’t think either are really objectively wrong or right and that’s part of the appeal of the story. Rhea isn’t really malevolent but she is certainly self serving, while Edelgard has good intentions but is unwilling to see things from another point of view.

Of course, fascism itself is a relatively new ideology anyway and applying it to a medieval based feudal society doesn’t really work well anyway without the more modern context.

The one where Edelgard rightfully ascends the throne and rules forever and ever.

It is weird how she's batshit insane in a few of the other paths, but in her own path she's not nearly as unhinged. Her character is completely different in different paths.
I think the implication is that Byleth siding with her kept her stable and grounded, where in the other routes, she resorts to more desperate and unhinged behavior.

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
Traveling without moving

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

I think her characterization is consistent.

In other routes, she lacks Byleth's influential presence and acumen, and must consequently rely more heavily on TWSITD. By the end of Azure Moon, where she becomes a monster, she's still doing so in service of creating a united Fodlan, with the knowledge that she doesn't have long to live regardless. Instead of the savior, she willingly assumes the role of the antagonist to unite against, accomplishing (part of) her goal either way (just watch her Dorothea support, where she ponders how history will judge her).

That's part of why she forces Dimitri to kill her. Because if she's to unite Fodlan the opposite way she intended, she needs to die. She wouldn't have long left anyway, so living as a hated and divisive figure would have no benefit on a macro level, and likely undermine faith in Dimitri's own rule. She's a thoughtful pragmatist to the end.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I think her characterization is consistent.

In other routes, she lacks Byleth's influential presence and acumen, and must consequently rely more heavily on TWSITD. By the end of Azure Moon, where she becomes a monster, she's still doing so in service of creating a united Fodlan, with the knowledge that she doesn't have long to live regardless. Instead of the savior, she willingly assumes the role of the antagonist to unite against, accomplishing (part of) her goal either way (just watch her Dorothea support, where she ponders how history will judge her).

That's part of why she forces Dimitri to kill her. Because if she's to unite Fodlan the opposite way she intended, she needs to die. She wouldn't have long left anyway, so living as a hated and divisive figure would have no benefit on a macro level, and likely undermine faith in Dimitri's own rule. She's a thoughtful pragmatist to the end.
This character is so good. Fuck. She's my favourite Nintendo character of all time in a narrarive level

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard is always a villain, even when she's the hero. She just runs a better propaganda campaign in CF.

Anyway, Claude is barely relevant in his own route, so he really needs a Thracia-esque expansion/game where we actually see him take over Almyra. Works with all paths and gives us a more unique protagonist. Only problem is that he apparently does it in a few months? But they could still make it work.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017

I never thought she was unhinged.

Azure Moon she got desperate, but it's not like she fell off the deep end or anything.

I think she was also normal in Verdant Wind.

Havent play Silver snow yet so I cant comment there.

The only characters I remember going crazy were Rhea and Dimitri.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of hard to say because there's no route where all the lords survive. So they would definitely not satisfy all fans.

I wonder if they could design a new canon route specifically for the sequel, but it's hard to imagine how. Is there any situation in which Edelgard doesn't win, but somehow survives? I feel like she wouldn't accept that. Maybe if she channels power of love with Dimitri, but that would require a lot of work to justify.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly enough, Dmitri is far more unhinged in his own route than he is in Crimson Flower.
He saw Rhea going crazy in his vicinity and stepped back a bit.

And in all seriousness, it's not so weird. He didn't suffer any of the events in CF that led to his worsening condition in AM. Didn't see Edelgard unmasked as the Flame Emperor, or even piece together the connection between the Flame Emperor, TWSITD, and Duscur in the first place. Didn't have Cornelia frame and imprison him for the murder of his uncle. Didn't have Dedue (appear to) sacrifice himself for him.

WestEgg

Oct 25, 2017
He saw Rhea going crazy in his vicinity and stepped back a bit.

And in all seriousness, it's not so weird. He didn't suffer any of the events in CF that led to his worsening condition in AM. Didn't see Edelgard unmasked as the Flame Emperor, or even piece together the connection between the Flame Emperor, TWSITD, and Duscur in the first place. Didn't have Cornelia frame and imprison him for the murder of his uncle. Didn't have Dedue (appear to) sacrifice himself for him.
Yeah, that’s fair, I guess I just kind of assumed at least some of that still happens off screen in other routes.

xeecee

Oct 27, 2017
it's still so weird seeing people equate edelgard with fascism lmao. "fascism" is not "being mean to characters I like." the thing that makes FE3H work so well is that none of the characters represent a modern ideology you can cleanly point to and say "these are my politics." for an anime ass game, the worldbuilding positions all three of the house leaders as having ideologies that make perfect sense for the world they inhabit, rather than just representing different contemporary ideals.

if edelgard is a fascist, then so is dmitri, and so is rhea, and claude skates by as a fellow traveler at best. all of these characters are authoritarians of some stripe, as necessitated by the setting! that's a really boring way to read the story, though. all of these characters more or less represent real political positions held during medieval and classical periods. edelgard is the outlier for being a true revolutionary with no exact medieval/classical european historical analog. she's like somewhere between a hussite and time-traveling napoleon.

ANYway, I think the most interesting direct sequel would be set post-Golden Deer ending with the parliament system in full swing. there's a huge potential there for story parallels with the fallout of the english civil war; the church is still exerting pressure on fodlan, the nobles still firmly have the lower classes under their thumb and wield all the power, etc. perhaps another game with three "routes" - defenders of the parliament, revanchists who want the old system back, and maybe some sort of french revolution type upstart faction.

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If there is a sequel, I think it would set in one of the other countries that were briefly featured in the game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it'd especially be difficult to pull off one for three houses because of the game's structure, and given how the fire emblem franchise runs these days i don't think they'd be comfortable saying "oh yeah, these recruitable characters are all canonically dead"

NeonZ

Oct 28, 2017
They'd probably make it take place in a foreign country, that way they could make the actual events vague enough or even let the player chose which route happened (since the plot would focus more on a local conflict with new characters, so you'd mostly just change the returning cast).

fire emblem direct sequels are usually pretty bad narratively
The only direct sequels are FE3 and Radiant Dawn, and FE3 was a pretty big jump over FE1 on storytelling. New Mystery over Shadow Dragon too, although that's unrelated to them being sequels or not and more about Shadow Dragon really hesitating to modernize its storytelling while New Mystery went further with it, even if still limited in some ways.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The only direct sequels are FE3 and Radiant Dawn, and FE3 was a pretty big jump over FE1 on storytelling. New Mystery over Shadow Dragon too, although that's unrelated to them being sequels or not and more about Shadow Dragon really hesitating to modernize its storytelling while New Mystery went further with it, even if still limited in some ways.
FE3's sequel approach of "And then something else happened!" was real bad!

NeonZ

Oct 28, 2017
FE3's sequel approach of "And then something else happened!" was real bad!
Nah, that's the best part. Marth beats the "foreign" dragon force and helps put a new king in place, only it turns out the new king is a corrupt asshole anyway and soon a new conflict starts with the "good" kingdom of the previous game now being the villain even as it claims to be justice. I think it's a fairly natural flow - although it only really works due to FE1 having such limited characterization anyway, since otherwise suddenly turning a character evil like what they did with Hardin would be pretty terrible.

The actual weak part are just the final chapters when Garnef and Medeus pop up again behind it all (although at least Hardin's possession is said to be due to his own character flaws).

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
Edelgard route of course.

Sequel wise, it will be more fun if it takes place in one of the many foreign nations that gets mentioned in the story. I can already see them pulling off the Radiant Dawn style of your new cast from another nation going to war with the Adrestian Empire :)

Moirayn

Nov 7, 2018
Going for Crimson Flower b/c it ends with Edelgard & co going after the remnants of Those Who Slither in the Dark. That said I don't think we need a direct sequel to this game necessarily.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The Slitherers were the worst part of Three Houses, so I'd rather not have them be the focus of a potential sequel.
Really depends on which ending they choose. If its Silver Snow then we won't have to worry about them at all. Every other one you kinda do since they are not all gone.
VW: they still have the ability to make crest monsters
CF: The guy who can launch nukes is still alive
AM: They run away during your last battle. Sure you kill the leadership but the others are stll alive.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Isn't there one more story DLC coming up? That one is probably going to be the true ending route where you realize you've been bending time too much and join Sothis to really figure out how to make things work for everyone.

It undermines the entire point of the original narrative, but it's an anime with a character that can time travel!

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people who are just like "yeah Edelgard just murdering everything is canon and preferred" is fucking scary.

Think about it, her route is the ONLY ONE where Claude can actually die in. Her route is the only one where she's NOT an antagonist. Dimitri and not even Rhea can say that. That's fucked.

I guess a sequel where you deal with the ACTUAL problem in Crimson Flower would be neat, but that's mostly because the Slithers being actively ignored in CF is absolute bullshit. I would be so much lenient on that route if they spend like 3 more chapters actually taking care of the people who actually ruined Edelgard's life.

NeonZ

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't there one more story DLC coming up? That one is probably going to be the true ending route where you realize you've been bending time too much and join Sothis to really figure out how to make things work for everyone.

It undermines the entire point of the original narrative, but it's an anime with a character that can time travel!
It's a side-story that happens during any of the routes (it's a mode separate from the main game that starts during part 1) and allows you to recruit characters from there for the main game. No true route this time, thankfully. I'm pretty sure they really regret Revelation considering how the 2nd gen DLC was a sequel to both Birthright and Conquest at the same time rather than Revelation.

Brock Reiher

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the pre-timeskip narrative, it's pretty obvious Blue Lions are the canon path. That's the one they'd use.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the pre-timeskip narrative, it's pretty obvious Blue Lions are the canon path. That's the one they'd use.
Blue Lions ends with the actual people behind the massacre of Duscar still alive and scheming in the dark. Screw that.

Hell, at least CF has an epilogue where they state they're going after the Slitherers. Blue Lions doesn't even get that. I guess they're content with Edelgard and her uncle being dead.

Brock Reiher

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blue Lions ends with the actual people behind the massacre of Duscar still alive and scheming in the dark. Screw that.

Hell, at least CF has an epilogue where they state they're going after the Slitherers. Blue Lions doesn't even get that. I guess they're content with Edelgard and her uncle being dead.
that sounds like a sequel hook to me!

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
the crimson flower epilogue is funny
"and then they went and took care of the actual bad guys offscreen, after taking care of anyone else that could oppose them. please try to ignore that there is absolutely no way that they wouldn't have nuked fhirdiad the instant rhea died."

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
While Verdant Wind leaves everything in a balanced enough state it's kind of like everything is dealt with and there's nothing left to do.

Dealing with TWSITD post CF just seems redundant since VW does it

The game doesn't need a sequel. If anything give it a director's cut or something that fills out CF and adds some animated sequences where shit happens off screen. Especially a particular off-camera death. Game is cheap as shit. Tokyo Mirage Session music videos were fucking fire and numerous!

Kino

Oct 25, 2017

Her uncle is the leader of the slithers so they do kill the real enemy. Just by accident lol

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Depends whether you want a sequel or a spin-off. Claude's Adventures in Almyra would be a good hook for a spin-off, but if you want a more direct sequel it's gotta be Hubert and Bernie Kill The Dubsteppers.

I'd personally prefer the latter, since I really want to dig deep into the Slitherers. Their history, their technology, everything. Throw on a dash of XCOM and let me research their stuff while we're at it. Plus I kinda like the idea of a Fire Emblem game that's about a small group of elites going on commando raids versus the sprawling battlefields and armies the story talks about, since the former is more fitting to the actual gameplay. Battalions were a nice touch, but the gameplay still doesn't fit the story quite right IMO.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While Verdant Wind leaves everything in a balanced enough state it's kind of like everything is dealt with and there's nothing left to do.

Dealing with TWSITD post CF just seems redundant since VW does it

The game doesn't need a sequel. If anything give it a director's cut or something that fills out CF and adds some animated sequences where shit happens off screen. Especially a particular off-camera death. Game is cheap as shit. Tokyo Mirage Session music videos were fucking fire and numerous!
Verdant Wind has Claude go back to his home country to handle the problems there. That is where a sequel could take place.

Ending chapters could be what happens in Claude's ending with Byleth.

After ascending the throne as the first leader of the United Kingdom of Fódlan, Byleth sought to rebuild the war-torn towns and villages and to help guide the reformation of the Church of Seiros. After a few months of peace, remnants of the Imperial Army joined with those who slither in the dark and marched upon the capital city of Derdriu. The new kingdom lacked the power to repel the invaders, but when defeat seemed imminent, a battle cry rang out from the east. Claude, the newly-crowned King of Almyra, led a mighty army that broke through the rebel forces with ease. This show of solidarity forever altered the course of history, heralding a new age of unity.
No sequel is still preferred though.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people are saying Verdant Wind since as Claude is the only competent house leader, the empire, TWSITD, AND Nemesis are all dealt with. Not to mention there’s no zero threats from Almyra. There’s no setup for a future antagonist.

PRAISE CLAUDE

Oct 25, 2017
Claude's the only one they can base a sequel around without explicitly canon-izing a particular route, I feel. He's almost always ends up leaving Fodlan, and can only die in one route and only by the player choosing to be a little shit and killing him. They can make references to Claude being "part of the events that led to the unification of Fodlan" and whatnot without getting into actual details of it.