• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 5 days, 18 hours, 58 minutes, 46 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

Smogon has released its current OU and UU Tiers for Pokemon Sword and Shield (SPOILERS)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that, but the whole dynamax debate won't apply so if they ban it then tier changes according to that the smogon meta will be different to the in-game meta, correct?
Yeah, that's true. Though it's worth noting that doubles OU is probably not banning dynamax anytime soon, though it's much less popular of a format compared to OU

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
OU is about what I expected. Although I expect to see hard checks come in and drop down Excadrill a peg.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Why is everybody so sweaty
I just wanted to try ranked with my little fun team, why is everyone at rank 1 using the exact same squads holy crap

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just wanted to try ranked with my little fun team, why is everyone at rank 1 using the exact same squads holy crap
they might all be using the same teams but a lot of people play like idiots and don't know how to use them. like my brother has been winning with just the game's rental teams in doubles ranked so far.

Wamb0wneD

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda hope they don't but it's kinda inveitable at this point
As someone who noped out at the game before release but is generally interested in comp Pokemon, why is that exactly?

Because I had arguments of how it looks inbalanced and snowbally with people here, but they said I was talking mad shit and don't know what I'm talking about.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
they might all be using the same teams but a lot of people play like idiots and don't know how to use them. like my brother has been winning with just the game's rental teams in doubles ranked so far.
Yeah, but I still think it'd be more fun to not have a known meta. More rando teams, some real Z A N Y stuff. Oh well. Everybody relying on their resin, guess that's just reality, haven't played Pokemon since red/blue

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy
Nov 5, 2017
As someone who noped out at the game before release but is generally interested in comp Pokemon, why is that exactly?

Because I had arguments of how it looks inbalanced and snowbally with people here, but they said I was talking mad shit and don't know what I'm talking about.
Mostly because it's too good a mechanic and encourages stall/defensive Pokemon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I think Rillaboom has a good chance to end up in OU once its HA releases. It's basically Tapu Bulu minus the Fairy typing, but has U-turn and Knock Off instead. Can pair it with Hawlucha too.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly have never cared about Smogon tiers, but it's kind of the only singles stuff so I understand

I rather play VGC rules, always. It gives something new every year, but I don't know how it's gonna be this season. Though I won't be playing this in who knows how long anyway lol

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first Pokémon I’ve actually thought about competitive in, but before that I want to make great Raid Den counters. I take it these OU Pokémon would fit the bill?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly have never cared about Smogon tiers, but it's kind of the only singles stuff so I understand

I rather play VGC rules, always. It gives something new every year, but I don't know how it's gonna be this season. Though I won't be playing this in who knows how long anyway lol
The nice thing about smogon tiers if you're in to single is it gives you spaces to use weaker pokemon and actually have a fair chance with them.

Busaiku

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first Pokémon I’ve actually thought about competitive in, but before that I want to make great Raid Den counters. I take it these OU Pokémon would fit the bill?
Not all of them.
Like Ferrothorn and Toxapex are awful for Raids.
Gyarados, Cinderace, Dracovish, Toxtricity, Mimikyu, and things along those are good.
While fast and strong attackers like Dragapult and Darmanitan are fine, since you'll be a higher level, for the most part, you want to prioritize survivability more than Speed/Attack, after a certain point.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Mostly because it's too good a mechanic and encourages stall/defensive Pokemon
H-Have you played against Dynamax sweepers such as Gyarados or Hawlucha? It definetely doesn't encourage stall. People can use it to break out of Choice locks.
Just so I'm clear, I'm talking about OU here, not the cart meta which I know nothing about.

Demoli

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the unga bunga is meant to be racist...or at the very least I don't think it's meant to reference Darmanitan in particular.

From my understanding it seems to be used in competitive games (I've seen it in Smash) when it comes to strategies that are simple, like using Darmanitan is basically just using your strongest attack with Gorilla Tactics. Basically so simple a caveman could do it.
Unga Bunga refers to literal caveman tactics of just smashing buttons on a fighting game due to a certain character hitting way too hard or having armor or something (think android 16 or that awful giant from sf5 who's name is escaping me right now).

It has exactly 0 racial connotations and Galarian Darmanitan absolutely fits that moniker since he just spamms icicle crash with absurd power.

dunkzilla

Dec 13, 2018
Yeah, but I still think it'd be more fun to not have a known meta. More rando teams, some real Z A N Y stuff. Oh well. Everybody relying on their resin, guess that's just reality, haven't played Pokemon since red/blue
That weird stuff has a place but it’s also very easily beaten if you know what you’re doing.

Demoli

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know all those trainers in game that encouraged you to play with your favorites, and thats what truly made a good pokemon trainer?

They were LIARS.

Welcome to one of the most complex pvp experiences.

Hell, it's vastle less complex in SnS due to not having the full dex, cut moves and mega evos/ zmoves being gone.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
You know all those trainers in game that encouraged you to play with your favorites, and thats what truly made a good pokemon trainer?

They were LIARS.

Welcome to one of the most complex pvp experiences.

Hell, it's vastle less complex in SnS due to not having the full dex, cut moves and mega evos/ zmoves being gone.
Look. All I know is, I like what Reuniclus looks like, I bred myself a shiny one, and I'm gonna use it in every single fight

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Not all of them.
Like Ferrothorn and Toxapex are awful for Raids.
Gyarados, Cinderace, Dracovish, Toxtricity, Mimikyu, and things along those are good.
While fast and strong attackers like Dragapult and Darmanitan are fine, since you'll be a higher level, for the most part, you want to prioritize survivability more than Speed/Attack, after a certain point.
awesome to know. Thank you. Ferrothorn was next on my list to 6IV and spec out. Off to Mimikyu

Slarvax

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton