• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 7 hours, 29 minutes, 17 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Smogon has released its current OU and UU Tiers for Pokemon Sword and Shield (SPOILERS)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly kinda surprised that Vaporeon didn't make the cut specifically because it functions as a hard check to Dracovish and is still a great fucking wall/stall Pokemon. Then again, this gen is fucking riddled with great electric types.
I think Vaporeon was one of those who just missed the cut, but I think people generally prefer seismitoad for that role

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Oct 31, 2017
Greece
1. Remove all the legendaries and checks created over the years
2. Bring back Weather Wars
3. Bring back speed AND stall meta
4. ???
5. Profit

Honestly loving it cause its a good spread of old Pokemon, new favorites and it's been a good while since the Meta was fueled by trolls, but I hate it cause I am having some vietnam ass PTSD seeing Pelliper and Excadrill reign supreme above all. God truly has left the pokedex.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at the seismitoad comment, derpy dude just bumbling into OU.

Using darmanitan in just the main campaign alone was an experience to be sure, reminded me of main game acrobatics archeops in black, except this time Dar can bring the pain to competitive.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if Dracovish gets banned from OU at some point, especially if Dynamaxing is banned which is a very real possibility

Birdie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the unga bunga is meant to be racist...or at the very least I don't think it's meant to reference Darmanitan in particular.

From my understanding it seems to be used in competitive games (I've seen it in Smash) when it comes to strategies that are simple, like using Darmanitan is basically just using your strongest attack with Gorilla Tactics. Basically so simple a caveman could do it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if Dracovish gets banned from OU at some point, especially if Dynamaxing is banned which is a very real possibility
Too much of the community is against Dynamaxing for it to stick around. The suspect testing is just a formality and people have already made up their minds.

I feel like Dracovish won't get banned because there are ways to play around it in OU. The decisions made for SM OU shows us their stance on handling some of this stuff.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the unga bunga is meant to be racist...or at the very least I don't think it's meant to reference Darmanitan in particular.

From my understanding it seems to be used in competitive games (I've seen it in Smash) when it comes to strategies that are simple, like using Darmanitan is basically just using your strongest attack with Gorilla Tactics. Basically so simple a caveman could do it.
yeah. Though again it probably fits Dracovish better, since Dracovish would only be marginally worse with a single move slot since it's coverage moves literally only exist to get around very specific matchups in the late game

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Too much of the community is against Dynamaxing for it to stick around. The suspect testing is just a formality and people have already made up their minds.

I feel like Dracovish won't get banned because there are ways to play around it in OU. The decisions made for SM OU shows us their stance on handling some of this stuff.
Yeah, probably. As for Dracovish, at the very least it's one of the Pokemon who'll probably see a spike in usage without dynamaxing since it doesn't really want to Dmax anyways. Aegislash is another Pokemon who'll be better off without dynamaxing on that note, while stuff like gyarados and hawlucha are going to be significantly worse

Birdie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad Dhelmise went up in the rankings... definitely want to train one. I imagine the Rapid Spin boost helped.

It's unfortunate it might drop once it's hard counter Incineroar comes back, and hell folks might go with Decidueye over it due to the latter being more popular.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Dhelmise went up in the rankings... definitely want to train one. I imagine the Rapid Spin boost helped.

It's unfortunate it might drop once it's hard counter Incineroar comes back, and hell folks might go with Decidueye over it due to the latter being more popular.
Keep in mind UU is only temporary for a lot of those pokemon since there is no other lower tier yet

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I assume he'll drop.

Also I wish he was a little less rare but it seems he's still 1 percent in SS. Gonna make it hard to get a good IV one.
With these games killing a Pokemon means your more likely to run into more of them.

What's the reasoning behind the 10-point nerf to Aegislash's Attacks? Does it even make any dent in that juggernaut?
I've seen people say it's noticeable and Aegislash got multiple nerfs.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having a chance to remove hundreds of Pokemon but leaving Ferrothorn and Aegislash in the game.

(Yes I'm bitter)

Aug 22, 2018
Honestly even if you only play ranked in game it's worth being aware of the tiering on smogon for your specific format if only because a lot of the threats and strategies carry over. Though doubles is obviously significantly different
Yeah I get that, but the whole dynamax debate won't apply so if they ban it then tier changes according to that the smogon meta will be different to the in-game meta, correct?