Smogon has released its current OU and UU Tiers for Pokemon Sword and Shield (SPOILERS)

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Never been a fan of Smogons tierlist, but it's always interesting to see what they put where.

OT: Meanwhile I'm sitting here waiting for VGC events in my region for Sword/Shield. Wonder when one is close to me ... hope they have a roadmap for online stuff soonish - if they even do that stuff.

Really wanna go to a big tournament at some point in my life.
Aside from when they ban things, they don't "put" Pokemon in tiers. It's alway a natural process based on how much a Pokemon is used. A Pokemon's usage goes up or down over the course of a generation's life as new strategies and alternatives are uncovered, and its tier placement is adjusted accordingly.

Yuntu

Nov 7, 2019
Germany
All my Pokemon I'm breeding are currently considered OU. Didn't happen before with a gen and the first team I planned, coincidence I guess.

Aside from when they ban things, they don't "put" Pokemon in tiers. It's alway a natural process based on how much a Pokemon is used. A Pokemon's usage goes up or down over the course of a generation's life as new strategies and alternatives are uncovered, and its tier placement is adjusted accordingly.
I know.

edit: I can see why you clarified though, could have been clearer

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
On one hand, I'm surprised Max Geyser doesn't cut into Pelipper's usage necessity, but on the other hand I realize weather teams need to be able to reset the weather reliably and Dynamax doesn't work that way.

Divvy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried playing ranked online yet, but are people generally following OU ruleset or is it whatever goes?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Eiscue in UU will be fun. It’s not the strongest, but in the right set of circumstances it can sweep.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried playing ranked online yet, but are people generally following OU ruleset or is it whatever goes?
ranked online uses gamefreak's rules. Main differences to OU at the moment are 3v3 after team preview rather than 6v6, no Gmax (although this is pretty much irrelevant), no access to mythicals (right now only Mew) and in the near future it's very possible Smogon will ban Dynamaxing entirely. Aside from the last bit which isn't set in stone yet, they're fairly similar though 3v3 does bring important differences like less use of stealth rocks and things like that

MegaRockEXE

Oct 29, 2017
I like that it (seemingly) doesn't involve any legendaries, or anything you can only get one of at all. Now I just have to avoid these lol because I don't like overused. Gonna see how well my Soak Lanturn holds up (lol).

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
For Cinderace is that with its hidden ability Not Protean? Also how is its movepool?
Cinderace has found a niche without it’s HA.
Is this a joke? The fossils are so terrible.
The fossils are actually good.
So basically the OU list is what I should be trying to catch and evolve? Too easy.
UU Pokemon can be used in OU to success.
This is exactly the OU tier everyone expected about 20 minutes after the game were datamined.
Not really. People were calling Dragapult, Cinderace(pre-HA), and the fossils garbage for example. Like Dracovish is on the lower part of the list because people just now caught on to how good it is and that will change things on this list.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Corsola as an overused Pokémon...I never thought I’d see the day. *wipes tear*
It’s okay Reuniclus and Haxorus, I love you guys!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting they changed the threshold for OU a bit compared to past gens for whatever reason and with old usage cutoffs a few more pokemon like Gengar and Ribombee among others would qualify

Divvy

Oct 25, 2017
ranked online uses gamefreak's rules. Main differences to OU at the moment are 3v3 after team preview rather than 6v6, no Gmax (although this is pretty much irrelevant), no access to mythicals (right now only Mew) and in the near future it's very possible Smogon will ban Dynamaxing entirely. Aside from the last bit which isn't set in stone yet, they're fairly similar though 3v3 does bring important differences like less use of stealth rocks and things like that
No Gmax? As in are gmax pokemon banned? Or do they just regular dynamax?

Swiggins

Apr 10, 2018
"Unga Bunga", really?
'Unga Bunga' is sometimes used in fighting games to describe a character that has a lot of brute force and doesn't require much finesse to play.

Darmanitan definitely has the brute force part down to a tee.

Corsola as an overused Pokémon...I never thought I’d see the day. *wipes tear*
It’s okay Reuniclus and Haxorus, I love you guys!
Corsola with Eviolite is just fucking outstanding as a wall.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
'Unga Bunga' is sometimes used in fighting games to describe a character that has a lot of brute force and doesn't require much finesse to play.

Darmanitan definitely has the brute force part down to a tee.
Honestly it probably fits Dracovish better since Dracovish in competitive can basically be boiled down to choice scarf fischious rend. Like even if G-Darm is essentially always scarfed (short of gimmicky zen mode stuff) it'll at least make use of more than 1 move on a regular basis lol. For Dracovish its other 3 move slots almost don't matter at all 99% of the time

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly it probably fits Dracovish better since Dracovish in competitive can basically be boiled down to choice scarf fischious rend. Like even if G-Darm is essentially always scarfed (short of gimmicky zen mode stuff) it'll at least make use of more than 1 move on a regular basis lol. For Dracovish its other 3 move slots almost don't matter at all 99% of the time
Makes me wonder if that will be deterimental to it's success in the long run

Swiggins

Apr 10, 2018
Honestly even with it being super predictable, you can easily make up for that with other team members and aside from water absorb and storm drain pokemon which you'll be wary of from team preview nothing else straight up hard counters it
I'm honestly kinda surprised that Vaporeon didn't make the cut specifically because it functions as a hard check to Dracovish and is still a great fucking wall/stall Pokemon. Then again, this gen is fucking riddled with great electric types.