• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes, 44 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Smogon has released its current OU and UU Tiers for Pokemon Sword and Shield (SPOILERS)

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of overlap with VGC so far, as expected. Though key players like Whimsicott, Braviary, and Arcanine are clearly worse in singles.

NotLiquid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow smogon but I think it's hilarious Seismitoad is on that list with the "why am I here" because I personally use one. I've never seen a single other person in ranked use one though so I thought I was an outlier. I just needed both a water and a ground Pokemon for my team and it fit the bill.
A big thing iirc is that Seismitoad counters Dracovish

Heromanz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow smogon but I think it's hilarious Seismitoad is on that list with the "why am I here" because I personally use one. I've never seen a single other person in ranked use one though so I thought I was an outlier. I just needed both a water and a ground Pokemon for my team and it fit the bill.
Toad has always been good. A bulky water ground type is always good

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Some thoughts:

-Palpitoad in OU is definitely the consequence of Dex cuts, but is at least interesting to see in this context. The Dex cuts always was going to benefit some Pokémon who have been historically outclassed and Palpitoad is exemplary of that with the removal of Swampert.

-I am skeptical that Hatterne will remain in OU. It's better than Gardevoir, but a far cry from Tapu Lele, and don't think it's going to make it.

-Happy to see Rotom in the spotlight since it's one of my favorite Pokémon. I haven't checked any of the sets yet, is anyone running Nasty Plot?

-Ditto having viability in the world of Dynamax is really interesting. This is probably its only moment to shine. Glad that Ditto gets a gen to mess around and be good for once.

Edit: I said Palpitoad instead of Seismitoad, RIP me. Here is my Pokémon badge. 📛

Last edited:

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017

Yuntu

Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Never been a fan of Smogons tierlist, but it's always interesting to see what they put where.

OT: Meanwhile I'm sitting here waiting for VGC events in my region for Sword/Shield. Wonder when one is close to me ... hope they have a roadmap for online stuff soonish - if they even do that stuff.

Really wanna go to a big tournament at some point in my life.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
From my experience in ranked singles (which is admittedly a bit different being 3 on 3)

yeah sounds about right
Yeah, the main differences would probably be Charizard and AV Gastrodon being a lot better in Ranked compared to OU and things like Galarian Darmanitan, Clefable, Dugtrio, and Cinderace being almost non-existant.

The majority of the list is similar though yeah.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts:

-Palpitoad in OU is definitely the consequence of Dex cuts, but is at least interesting to see in this context. The Dex cuts always was going to benefit some Pokémon who have been historically outclassed and Palpitoad is exemplary of that with the removal of Swampert.

-I am skeptical that Hatterne will remain in OU. It's better than Gardevoir, but a far cry from Tapu Lele, and don't think it's going to make it.

-Happy to see Rotom in the spotlight since it's one of my favorite Pokémon. I haven't checked any of the sets yet, is anyone running Nasty Plot?

-Ditto having viability in the world of Dynamax is really interesting. This is probably its only moment to shine. Glad that Ditto gets a gen to mess around and be good for once.
Hatterne in my experience REALLY wants trick room up which makes it great in doubles where it’s a way more viable strategy so I wouldn’t be shocked off if it falls off in singles ou

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The showdown community being what it is, Dynamax is very likely going to be banned soon, and with it Ditto's whole point in OU.
While true, Showdown has already proven the viability of Ditto in a generation where it will not be banned elsewhere. Showdown and Smogon might be an isolated competitive community with its own rules, but the information surfaced in that community is still valuable elsewhere.

But yeah, Ditto has no viability beyond Dynamax copies. A Pokémon that circumstantial won't be long in the spotlight.

Swiggins

Apr 10, 2018
base stats mean nothing when you have a 170 power move with decent attack and great coverage
Actually his base stats aren't even all that bad. He's average in everything meaning that he's got the bulk to take a couple of hits, but just enough speed to make him a lethal scarfer.
Fishcious Rend
85 BP * 2 (User goes first) *1.5 (Strong Jaw) *1.5 (STAB) = 382.5 BP
This isn't even including items or weather.
85 BP * 2 * 1.5 (Jaw) * 1.5 (STAB) * 1.5 (Rain) * 1.5 (Band) =860 BP

Make way for our fishy boi.

Dec 21, 2017
How many of these Pokemon do you think will stay in OU?
I don't think Hatterene is as good as many people think. I used one for awhile and while it's great in certain match ups, more often than not it's speed tier hurts it. I don't run trick room so it was always at odds with my other faster squad. Still screwed some people over with the switch in magic bounce, but over all I don't think it'll be considered one of the best.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
While true, Showdown has already proven the viability of Ditto in a generation where it will not be banned elsewhere. Showdown and Smogon might be an isolated competitive community with its own rules, but the information surfaced in that community is still valuable elsewhere.

But yeah, Ditto has no viability beyond Dynamax copies. A Pokémon that circumstantial won't be long in the spotlight.
That's true. VGC will have to be followed closely because things are going to shake up a lot there.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Is this a joke? The fossils are so terrible.
I don't do PVP so I can't comment on that stuff, but I've used Arctozolt more than any Pokemon outside of my Cinderace. Avalanche is nice, added the jolt punch (forget the exact name) and it has Dry-Ice or something which also is super effective vs water Pokemon in addition to anyone who's weak to ice. He's been a monster for me.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually his base stats aren't even all that bad. He's average in everything meaning that he's got the bulk to take a couple of hits, but just enough speed to make him a lethal scarfer.

85 BP * 2 * 1.5 (Jaw) * 1.5 (STAB) * 1.5 (Rain) * 1.5 (Band) =860 BP

Make way for our fishy boi.
Realistically I think people are more likely to use scarf than Band on dracovish in most situations since it really needs to hit first even compared to other sweepers

NotLiquid

Oct 25, 2017
Trick Room reliance is basically the one achilles heel she has but as long as Ferropex and the Steel types are in favor she's probably going to remain a good switch-in sweeper, especially in Doubles or if G-Max is allowed.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Chicago, IL
I fell out of love for OU in Gen 5 or so. I appreciated my time of competitive play for what it was, but seeing the OU list fit onto such a small image is what eventually annoyed me with the meta. Many of the matches became too similar, and GF keeps trying to pursue its power creep and it’s STAB attack creep. These days I’m all about diving into a handful of random matches once a week and then disappearing.

Swiggins

Apr 10, 2018
Realistically I think people are more likely to use scarf than Band on dracovish in most situations since it really needs to hit first even compared to other sweepers
Oh I'm well aware, I'm just pointing out that this Mon is fucking ludicrous.

He's a scarfer for sure, but using him with a Band in a Trick room Team **might** be viable.

Swiggins

Apr 10, 2018
Court Change can be useful. I think it's actually the move being referenced in the meme pic in the OP lol. Not everyone runs it, though.
Court Change is a really really good move, and it's nuts that Cinderace gets TWO signature moves and both of them are great.

Cinderace has the same problem that Greninja had, 5th move-slot syndrome, if he could have more than 4 attacks he'd be nigh unstoppable.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Libero waiting room

Edit: Corviknight is such a beast, I love it. Put in so much work in my Stadium battles