Shenmue III is shipping now for Kickstarter backers it seems

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
No one is denying they have to make money somehow, but forcing people to buy the game again just for some day 1 and pre-order DLC? That's really bloody low. The fact that it's so meaningless is exactly why it's so damn questionable.

As for how Kickstarters work. Have you even backed any projects on kickstarter/fig/indiegogo? I've backed over 100. I'm fully aware of how the crowdfunding platform works. It's not even the first project I've backed which got sold over to EGS half way through. Even the other one that did that was handled 100% better. Quickly offering refunds(unlike this one where they dragged their feet for ages), 100% promising steam keys a year later when it releases(unlike the clause on the S3 survey saying you might not get it), and hell, they're even offering the season pass for free to backers even though that wasn't in the pledge. Imagine that!

Campaigns don't have to give backers anything more than they originally offered, but many of them do because it fosters good will which is invaluable.

I've loved Shenmue for a long time, and I've wanted 3 for a long long time. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop criticising how the campaign went down. The fact I love the series is exactly why I'm critical of it really. I don't want to see a series I love dragged through all of these issues.
ok i can understand your frustration but no one is forcing you to buy a new copy, thats solely on you

srtrestre

Oct 25, 2017
FFS the backers didn't even get the D1 Edition of the game? Are they fu**ing serious?
I got the game and a shitty sleeve lol

Of all the games to sour me on Kickstarter, I never expected Shenmue 3 to be the one. Everything from the delays, lack of transparency, the EGS fiasco (wanted PC on Steam, but didn’t want to wait so I had to settle for PS4 ugh), lack of bonuses that people who didn’t even help fund the game are enjoying, to the game itself being a half baked joke. I’m done with KS for the moment.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The slipcase is so pathetically ugly and cheap that I don't even know If I would be mad to not have it...

Not even some "backer edition" or so, not even the game title on the spine... nothing.
And, again, no D1 Edition of the game... this is the worst part.
Ugly spine is usually my achilles heel, but I’m over it. I noticed the slipcase looked cheap when they showed the mock-ups on Kickstarter, so wasn’t expecting anything special.

FFS the backers didn't even get the D1 Edition of the game? Are they fu**ing serious?
I’m glad I didn’t get a shitty “Day One Edition” banner plastered on my KS retail copy.

Yeah, it sucks about the DLC that doesn’t come with it, but it’s hardly worth anything, just that usual BS that helps you progress faster when you could earn the same stuff in-game.

to the game itself being a half baked joke. I’m done with KS for the moment.
I’m pretty sure the game is about as baked as you’re going to get on the budget that they had. Fans seem to be loving it and it is faithful sequel. What’s interesting to me though, is that you Kickstarted the thing, you should have been expecting the kind of game that $7m can buy, which is actually what we would have got had Deep Silver not stepped in.

I said they're forcing you to buy the game again IF you want the day 1/pre-order DLC as a backer. Which is 100% true.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that pre-order bonus DLC is stuff that is earnable in-game. So it’d be pretty pathetic to actually convince yourself you’re forced to buy another copy because you wanted a short-cut.

Last edited:

Pachimari

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally found my game code for the epic store, but where is my backer code at?

Who gets this backer code? Because I paid $60 for the PC digital version on Kickstarter a few years ago.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally found my game code for the epic store, but where is my backer code at?

Who gets this backer code? Because I paid $60 for the PC digital version on Kickstarter a few years ago.
As far as I'm aware you only got a backer code if you backed over a certain amount. Possibly the telecom card level?

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that pre-order bonus DLC is stuff that is earnable in-game. So it’d be pretty pathetic to actually convince yourself you’re forced to buy another copy because you wanted a short-cut.
That's not the point, the point is backers should have got the day one DLC as well.

Seshumaru

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The slipcase is so pathetically ugly and cheap that I don't even know If I would be mad to not have it...

Not even some "backer edition" or so, not even the game title on the spine... nothing.
And, again, no D1 Edition of the game... this is the worst part.
That slipcase is so freaking ugly that they should have paid the backers money to accept that.
Sadly we knew it was going to happen though. It was brought up a few months back that backers wouldn't get any of the pre-order or day 1 DLC. A few of us even complained about it before, but you just get shot down by people arguing we didn't pay for it since it was thought up after the campaign etc etc.

Overall it's a real shame how the campaign was handled. The game itself from what I've played seems like a good follow up for fans, but the campaign really could not have been handled worse leading many of us to feel kinda slighted.
Honestly they got what they wanted from backers and when they did they stopped thinking about those backers.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Of all the games to sour me on Kickstarter, I never expected Shenmue 3 to be the one. Everything from the delays, lack of transparency, the EGS fiasco (wanted PC on Steam, but didn’t want to wait so I had to settle for PS4 ugh), lack of bonuses that people who didn’t even help fund the game are enjoying, to the game itself being a half baked joke. I’m done with KS for the moment.
I'll never understand how one bad project will have someone never use Kickstarter again, as if KS is the one making all of these projects. The same thing happened with Mighty No. 9 "I'll never use KS again!" The problem lies on expectations, vs. what you were backing, and then what happened, which is dependent on the developer and NOT on KS, which is only a platform. A real "fail" KS means if the things never come to fruition (ask anyone who backed the 3DS or Vita versions of Mighty No. 9...) It's a choice not to use it, but it's not actually on KS.

The number one rule on ANY KS: don't hold high expectations. I think this is what angers people the most. If you get everything you backed and paid for, that's pretty much a success. Like even the backer special slip cover. It's bland, but I don't know what people were expecting? Things would definitely be better if we got ALL the later made bonus goodies, but it just doesn't always work that way.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand how one bad project will have someone never use Kickstarter again, as if KS is the one making all of these projects. The same thing happened with Mighty No. 9 "I'll never use KS again!" The problem lies on expectations, vs. what you were backing, and then what happened, which is dependent on the developer and NOT on KS, which is only a platform. A real "fail" KS means if the things never come to fruition (ask anyone who backed the 3DS or Vita versions of Mighty No. 9...) It's a choice not to use it, but it's not actually on KS.

The number one rule on ANY KS: don't hold high expectations. I think this is what angers people the most. If you get everything you backed and paid for, that's pretty much a success. Like even the backer special slip cover. It's bland, but I don't know what people were expecting? Things would definitely be better if we got ALL the later made bonus goodies, but it just doesn't always work that way.
I don't really agree with that line of thinking though. I've backed a lot of projects, some have inevitably failed and I got nothing from it. It sucks, but it is what it is, backing something is a gamble. The fact with this project is, a lot of money was involved here, and so that's why it's extremely disappointing how the entire campaign was handled. I've backed smaller budget constrained indie projects that have handled their campaign better than this, many of which actually delivered above and beyond what the kickstarter initially entailed because they wanted to show their thanks to the backers who had the faith to put their money on the line for it. Comparatively, it felt like this campaign just forgot about the backers who helped make this project a success somewhere along the line which is just kinda sad.
I agree, but it’s absolutely nothing to get vitriolic about, or claim it’s something you're forced to buy a copy for.
Who is being vitriolic? That's a very strong word for my criticism, lol.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really agree with that line of thinking though. I've backed a lot of projects, some have inevitably failed and I got nothing from it. It sucks, but it is what it is, backing something is a gamble. The fact with this project is, a lot of money was involved here, and so that's why it's extremely disappointing how the entire campaign was handled. I've backed smaller budget constrained indie projects that have handled their campaign better than this, many of which actually delivered above and beyond what the kickstarter initially entailed because they wanted to show their thanks to the backers who had the faith to put their money on the line for it. Comparatively, it felt like this campaign just forgot about the backers who helped make this project a success somewhere along the line which is just kinda sad.
Yeah I get that (and trust me, I've backed a TON of stuff myself, so I've seen it all), and even the Bloodstained campaign was considered a "failure" due to a similar situation (well, mostly for the buggy Switch version). There ARE plenty of risks involved, for sure. I think I'm just used to these extra 'surprises' coming out that backers don't get, to be used to the whole situation. But like for example with the slip cover, I would hear people ask if it was "good quality" or "flimsy" which is odd, because I can't think of ANY copy of anything I have where the slip cover is made of some super harder stock cardboard or anything. Maybe if it was more sparkly or something? I guess Bloodstained did it well, at least? No one complained about that one (although I did see the "flimsy" comments a lot, even there, too...)

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but it’s absolutely nothing to get vitriolic about, or claim it’s something you're forced to buy a copy for.
Nobody is getting vitrolic about it, They actively have screwed the backers and continue to be called out for it, They have killed any chance of crowd funding another game in the future.

Yeah I get that (and trust me, I've backed a TON of stuff myself, so I've seen it all), and even the Bloodstained campaign was considered a "failure" due to a similar situation (well, mostly for the buggy Switch version). There ARE plenty of risks involved, for sure. I think I'm just used to these extra 'surprises' coming out that backers don't get, to be used to the whole situation. But like for example with the slip cover, I would hear people ask if it was "good quality" or "flimsy" which is odd, because I can't think of ANY copy of anything I have where the slip cover is made of some super harder stock cardboard or anything. Maybe if it was more sparkly or something? I guess Bloodstained did it well, at least? No one complained about that one (although I did see the "flimsy" comments a lot, even there, too...)
Bloodstained still handled the campaign better than Ys did for shenmue, which even though the game is out and seems to be good, I would consider a failure of a campaign for how they treated backers.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Bloodstained still handled the campaign better than Ys did for shenmue, which even though the game is out and seems to be good, I would consider a failure of a campaign for how they treated backers.
Despite the whole Epic situation (which I won't get into), Bloodstained was run fairly similar (especially via Fangamer), and even there I saw people wondering "is it vaporware??" (a few months before release) and how they will "NEVER use Kickstarter again" and "how it failed". It's all a matter of expectations. I do agree that it SHOULD have been different and it is annoying when backers don't get all of these extra goodies (coming from someone who also bought a Best Buy copy for the steelbook, and Limited Run LE for the extra goodies), but like I said, I just usually go in with low expectations. Outside of Steam people, they did give us what was originally promised >_> Still, bad business decisions that came later...

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I admittedly didn't back Bloodstained(or even follow the game - don't own it even now), so I can't personally comment on that one.

However in the case of Shenmue 3, I think where the salt comes from is that there's a lot of really nice things for new purchasers. There's like 3 different collector's editions and then there's a very nice steelbook as a pre-order bonus at some shops. All of which look better than what the backers were offered, and in the case of the CE's, the new people are paying less for something that looks better.

Now you can argue that's because of Deep Silvers involvement, and yes, that's likely true, but just because there's a reason it happened, it doesn't really stop people from feeling disappointed in comparison.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
Posted in the OT but no response, so trying again lol

Got my backer password but it doesn't work at all when I input the code in the game. Is there any fix for this?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I admittedly didn't back Bloodstained(or even follow the game - don't own it even now), so I can't personally comment on that one.

However in the case of Shenmue 3, I think where the salt comes from is that there's a lot of really nice things for new purchasers. There's like 3 different collector's editions and then there's a very nice steelbook as a pre-order bonus at some shops. All of which look better than what the backers were offered, and in the case of the CE's, the new people are paying less for something that looks better.

Now you can argue that's because of Deep Silvers involvement, and yes, that's likely true, but just because there's a reason it happened, it doesn't really stop people from feeling disappointed in comparison.
Its' definitely a publisher decision, for sure. With Mighty No. 9, they offered a Square Enix Store exclusive limited edition of Mighty No 9 (not offered to backers). Bloodstained got a steelbook... that you either had to get at Best Buy, or pay $15 if you were a backer. You could even say that the LRG physical versions of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon was an additional thing too you had to buy, but at least digital codes were given out as surprise freebies.

So yeah, just a few examples of some bigger projects with things that came later, to the expense of backers and not being able to get the full package. Definitely on the publisher's decision though, and it sucks and isn't fair, but business isn't normally >_>

IronicSonic

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any south american backer that didn't get their physical copy yet?? I got shipping confirmation almost 12 days ago

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, now I'm confused...

You guys were talking about the Day 1 Edition, which has the banner on the cover... was this for EU-only? I just got in my (delayed) Best Buy steelbook version, and that one appears to have NO such banner, and the UPC is the exact same as well. Even the Limited Run Games copy appears to be the same one.

So.... did North America not even get this one?

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
I received my PS4 physical copy on release date, and i dont regreat being a backer for this game, but this will be the last time ill back any game.

Some years ago, when i backed i was kinda excited to receive the game with an exclusive backer cover, i own both Shenmues for Dreamcast and the covers are gorgeous.
Then it came to my atention that was not actually a cover but a slip cover, still ok i guess as long the art is there. Then the final product gets in my hands and its the most cold and amateur looking thing i got, related to a videogame packaging. The only quality thing is the quality of the paper, cuz even the printing is not great. Not to mention the lack of the game name on the spine of the cover. Right now Shenmue 3 is the only game on my shelve without any identification.

But it also feels cold the way the backers get treated, kinda like the lowest tier. I got the game, and nothing else, no thank you note, no day 1 dlc, nothing, its the game in a plastic box with the retail cover and a crappy backers sleeve. Right now, someone that paid the same as i did as a backer, gets the game with some digital bonus, as a backer cant help but feel unappreciated.
I know im not entitled to anything other than what i backed for, but if you going to offer DLC to day 1 buyers, why not include the same bonus to the ppl that funded your game as a gesture of good will and apreciation?

Really disappointing. Im glad YsNet has a publisher now, cuz if it was dependent of another kickstarter i would not be backing the next one.

Last edited:

Crimsonskies

Nov 1, 2019
What really is shitty is the fact that the
I received my PS4 physical copy on release date, and i dont regreat being a backer for this game, but this will be the last time ill back any game.

Some years ago, when i backed i was kinda excited to receive the game with an exclusive backer cover, i own both Shenmues for Dreamcast and the covers are gorgeous.
Then it came to my atention that was not actually a cover but a slip cover, still ok i guess as long the art is there. Then the final product gets in my hands and its the most cold and amateur looking thing i got, related to a videogame packaging. The only quality thing is the quality of the paper, cuz even the printing is not great. Not to mention the lack of the game name on the spine of the cover. Right now Shenmue 3 is the only game on my shelve without any identification.

But it also feels cold the way the backs get treated, kinda like the lowest tier. I got the game, and nothing else, no thank you note, no day 1 dlc, nothing, its the game in a plastic box with the retail cover and a crappy backers sleeve. Right now, someone that paid the same as i did as a backer, gets the game with some digital bonus, as a backer cant help but feel unappreciated.
I know im not entitled to anything other than what i backed for, but if you going to offer DLC to day 1 buyers, why not include the same bonus to the ppl that funded your game as a gesture of good will and apreciation?

Really disappointing. Im glad YsNet has a publisher now, cuz if it was dependent of another kickstarter i would not be backing the next one.

Man I thankfully sold my backers edition and decided to get this instead got 200 usd which is what I backed so got my money back.

And bought this instead I mean us backers got screwed no question

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Close the game, go to Shenmue 3 on dash, press down and go to PS store, choose add ons, and redownload them. Try backer code.
So I got the physical PS4 version on Monday and then today I notice I have a backer password on my Fangamer page, which in-game says invalid. The only thing I have in the PSN dashboard downloads is the post-release DLC for $14.99. I never got any 12 digit PSN code that their help page is referring to, unless they're talking about a digital version of the game.

I noticed somebody on Reddit posted this, I don't know if it's the same thing.

georaldc

Oct 27, 2017
Got a backer's code as well for the PC release but the game doesn't recognize it. My guess is it doesn't work for $60 backers like me since we don't really get any in-game bonuses. Might have been sent out by accident?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
They had four years to get the physical backer rewards together.

FOUR YEARS
You'd be surprised how long it takes to put them all together. I somehow doubt the entire soundtrack was done super quick, or all of the game art, etc.... It's usually easier to put it together at the end once they actually have the assets.

Fool

May 2, 2018
Ok. Good to know. I'm in no hurry to play it, but it's still disappointing that we don't get it on release although we backed it more than four years ago.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
That commemorative Dreamcast case is one of the collector's edition items I've ever seen

MouldyK

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

In-Game Rewards Do Not Activate

The following may be reasons in-game rewards are not able to activate.

*The backer password + DLC code is for in-game rewards only. They do not come with game-only tiers.

Codes Not Entered Correctly

Please follow the steps in Update #123 to active codes. Please make sure codes are entered correctly.

Late Survey Response

Backer passwords may not have been validated for first time survey responses accepted after January 6th, 2019. Backer passwords for these affected backers are planned to be patched at a later date.
They ain't addressing the problem of no Lower-Tier Items.

Last edited:

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden

I agree that we backers should've received a steelbook or at the very least the Day One edition I got with the separate collector's edition I bought.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
We are acting as the order fulfilment agent for Fangamer and your order was dispatched on 13-Nov-2019
Your order was dispatched via Royal Mails International service.
NB this not a tracked service and will be delivered by your normal National Mail service
I'm guessing it must have been stopped in customs since I still do not have it. Poor guys, this isn't easy :P In the meantime I'll just try to avoid all Shenmue III spoilers and videos.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
So in that email about shipping dates, if I understand it correctly, due to a delay to some regions for the PS4 version, we'll get a download code to tie us over till it arrives?