Shenmue III is shipping now for Kickstarter backers it seems

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
A question about the extra ingame items you get. I know by backing up the game you get the Shenmue III - KS Reward Pack Bundle 2 which gives you: "Get an international phone card (in-game item) to call Nozomi, Guizhang Chen, Ine-san, Joy, Fuku-san, or other characters from Shenmue 1 & 2. This item will unlock phone conversations and flashback scenes available only to Kickstarter Backers. Keep your friends close with S3 World Telecom. "

Chained punches scroll and a toy capsule.

It seems there are many other Backers' only rewards that I wasn't aware of.

By pre-ordering the game on PS4, you receive the Character Concept Theme, 3 Avatars (Ryo, Shenhua and the Shenmue III logo), the “Blazing Kick” Advanced Technique Scroll, Kenpogi Training outfit and a Peking Power Starter Pack*! .

Will PS4 pre-order items be obtainable ingame?if not will they offer them through store at some point? Also Will the backer items be available to purchase too?
Does anyone have a list of all those ingame rewards?

OP
OP
Metalgus

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Not in Canada, but I'm on the same page here, except that it was updated to the same state yesterday. Gonna keep it sealed and just play it on PC anyway tho
Yeah, I'll probably keep mine sealed as well and use the digital copy I bought during the Slacker Backer campaign. I got it for that exact purpose: in case I got screwed with shipping.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question, what is IN the backer code? Don't want to open my copy just yet (plus having a weird shipping delay from Best Buy on the steelbook copy...) Does it unlock the capsole toy, Ryo jacket skin, 20 capsole toy tickets, and in game phone card, or will that be on a separate code?

Brivs

Game Dev & Teacher
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
I have no idea where to get my PS4 backer code. Does anyone? I don't see anything in my Kickstarter account, and so far I haven't received an email.

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I’m impressed I received my game yesterday rather than today or even further away. Considering I often see KS backers receive even the Physical games well after street date and how ineptly this campaign was run at times. But looks like Fangamer has their shit together.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
It seems like you don't need to wait for your code in an email. I received an email from Fangamer on September 20th "Confirmation for Order SHENMUE 3" that links to the backer survey. If you click into it you should just be able to reveal your code from there.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Ah fuck me, the Digital Deluxe of Shenmue 3 on PSN doesnt drop to $15 when you redeem your kickstarter code. Fuckin bullshit

EDIT: actually it looks like they just added a $15 DLC pass to the store, crisis averted! Purchased

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
I got my code and redeemed it. The reviews are not great but I'm glad this was made. Now the only thing I need to do is finish Shenmue II before this.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Didn't get my ps4 copy yet. Would probably not have played it today, but it sure would have been nice to say you backed it and got it on release day (at the very least). Same as with Bloodstained *sigh* I guess I just live in a low priority country.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I thought we would've gotten a Steelbook or something or an actual special case, but alas. Glad to have backed the game and am happy it's finally here.

Action Burger

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like you don't need to wait for your code in an email. I received an email from Fangamer on September 20th "Confirmation for Order SHENMUE 3" that links to the backer survey. If you click into it you should just be able to reveal your code from there.
Thanks - didn't get an e-mail but the code was there in the backer survey.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in here having trouble putting in their backer code on PC.

When i try. It gives me. "No Epic store code has been entered. To validate rewards, enter your Epic product code in the Epic game store"

I've already put in my DLC code. Soooo, what's going on. ?
I got DLC ID04. Is that everything?
I got that too. Might because of the backer tier.

Which tier are you ?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So if DLC ID04 is all of the digital goodies from the KS tiers, what does the Backer Password do?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do i confirm that my DLC code actually worked ? (outside of when i put in the code)

Bog

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone in here having trouble putting in their backer code on PC.

When i try. It gives me. "No Epic store code has been entered. To validate rewards, enter your Epic product code in the Epic game store"

I've already put in my DLC code. Soooo, what's going on. ?

I got that too. Might because of the backer tier.

Which tier are you ?
$300

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Woo Hoo got my code and it's downloading right now.

After work I'm going home with a nice bottle of sake and playing me something I waited almost 2 decades for.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i just started the game. And tried to change Ryo's clothes. And guess what, i've got nothing. Guess my DLC code didn't go though.

Fuck me i guess.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On PS4 there’s two parts to unlocking it, you put in the DLC code and then put in a backer code in game, not sure if it’s the same for PC version too or not? Saw others have to close Shenmue 3 down the restart the application and then it activated?
It's the same way on PC, too.

I tried restarting the game. And same thing, unfortunately. DLC not showing up, and can't put in my code.

That's really thrown a wet blanket on what should have been a very special day. 😭

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't if it's the same, but once you put in the code, you'll be able to jump to the row with your name in the backer credits while it's pulsating in flashing colors.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
In the same boat. I often order things from UK and it usually takes about 5-10 working days with Royal Mail to arrive here in Berlin.
Yeah, the way they handled the shipping is pure bulls**t, at best it will arrive by the end of this week, IF it will arrive at all (since isn't tracked)... and ppl that just bought the game from store already have it by like last friday.

What a clownfiesta.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I received my copy yesterday. While I knew there would be a slipcase exclusive for backers and while the envelope even mentions it as being part of the contents shipped, I received no slipcase. It's basically the same copy I'd be able to buy from any retailer. I can't deny I'm pissed off.

This kind of marred the magic of having Shenmue 3 in my hands after all these years. Does anyone know whom I can contact about this? Fangamer? The EU distributor they used? What do I do?

GriffinCorp

Oct 25, 2017
My copy shipped last week and USPS had delivery scheduled for 8PM Monday. Sadly, I still don't have it. I'm holding out for Friday the 22nd. My shipping email was sent on the 14th!

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I received my copy yesterday. While I knew there would be a slipcase exclusive for backers and while the envelope even mentions it as being part of the contents shipped, I received no slipcase. It's basically the same copy I'd be able to buy from any retailer. I can't deny I'm pissed off.

This kind of marred the magic of having Shenmue 3 in my hands after all these years. Does anyone know whom I can contact about this? Fangamer? The EU distributor they used? What do I do?
I'd contact fangamer since they're organiser of it.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017

i hope this doesn't happen to me. If fangamers could screw up inserting the slipcase, the higher tier reward will not be shipped at all... Any bets on how long fangamers need to manufacture the high tier reward?

Warning! The song download is limited to 3 max although the file size is 112MB and the download link expires at 19 May 2020.

My KS partial reward is still at Los Angeles.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The slipcase is so pathetically ugly and cheap that I don't even know If I would be mad to not have it...

Not even some "backer edition" or so, not even the game title on the spine... nothing.
And, again, no D1 Edition of the game... this is the worst part.

panda-zebra

Oct 28, 2017
I paid $300 and don't really have any idea what I'm supposed to receive, only that I confirmed my details a while back and I have no game in my hands today (UK). I have redeemed some DLC on PSN and have a backer code I can put in to the game I don't yet have.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about the Day 1 edition stuff, but the slipcase does suck. I actually removed it from my copy because it just looks bad on my shelf, the normal case spine looks much better.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I don‘t understand the logistics of NOT having the D1 edition for backers. For some if not most games you can get the day one edition months in or even till the end of their shelf life and honestly I would expect Shenmue 3 to be one of those games.
So they produce a different version, one that is less appealing, for a very limited target group of their most hardcore fans. That might trigger a person here or there to buy an extra copy for the day one stuff, but is that worth the extra logistical effort and loss of good will?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I don‘t understand the logistics of NOT having the D1 edition for backers. For some if not most games you can get the day one edition months in or even till the end of their shelf life and honestly I would expect Shenmue 3 to be one of those games.
So they produce a different version, one that is less appealing, for a very limited target group of their most hardcore fans. That might trigger a person here or there to buy an extra copy for the day one stuff, but is that worth the extra logistical effort and loss of good will?
They didn't produced a different edition, this is the base version that is going to be sold once the D1 will be removed.

Something like this:

Vs this:

Basically the backers have got the base version of the game, another slap to the face to who supported S3 back then.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't produced a different edition, this is the base version that is going to be sold once the D1 will be removed.

Something like this:

Vs this:

Basically the backers have got the base version of the game, another slap to the face to who supported S3 back then.
Sadly we knew it was going to happen though. It was brought up a few months back that backers wouldn't get any of the pre-order or day 1 DLC. A few of us even complained about it before, but you just get shot down by people arguing we didn't pay for it since it was thought up after the campaign etc etc.

Overall it's a real shame how the campaign was handled. The game itself from what I've played seems like a good follow up for fans, but the campaign really could not have been handled worse leading many of us to feel kinda slighted.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Sadly we knew it was going to happen though. It was brought up a few months back that backers wouldn't get any of the pre-order or day 1 DLC. A few of us even complained about it before, but you just get shot down by people arguing we didn't pay for it since it was thought up after the campaign etc etc.

Overall it's a real shame how the campaign was handled. The game itself from what I've played seems like a good follow up for fans, but the campaign really could not have been handled worse leading many of us to feel kinda slighted.
Guys this is how all campaigns do it, u payed to get the game made you got your game and the tiers that came with it. They have to make money somewhow so they need to give intensives for those who did not make the game. I just don’t understand how ppl just wanted the story to continue get there wish and still complain on things that wouldn’t matter anymore after the first hour or so.you guys are acting like y’all don’t have exclusive stuff the public won’t get either

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Guys this is how all campaigns do it, u payed to get the game made you got your game and the tiers that came with it. They have to make money somewhow so they need to give intensives for those who did not make the game. I just don’t understand how ppl just wanted the story to continue get there wish and still complain on things that wouldn’t matter anymore after the first hour or so.you guys are acting like y’all don’t have exclusive stuff the public won’t get either
No one is denying they have to make money somehow, but forcing people to buy the game again just for some day 1 and pre-order DLC? That's really bloody low. The fact that it's so meaningless is exactly why it's so damn questionable.

As for how Kickstarters work. Have you even backed any projects on kickstarter/fig/indiegogo? I've backed over 100. I'm fully aware of how the crowdfunding platform works. It's not even the first project I've backed which got sold over to EGS half way through. Even the other one that did that was handled 100% better. Quickly offering refunds(unlike this one where they dragged their feet for ages), 100% promising steam keys a year later when it releases(unlike the clause on the S3 survey saying you might not get it), and hell, they're even offering the season pass for free to backers even though that wasn't in the pledge. Imagine that!

Campaigns don't have to give backers anything more than they originally offered, but many of them do because it fosters good will which is invaluable.

I've loved Shenmue for a long time, and I've wanted 3 for a long long time. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop criticising how the campaign went down. The fact I love the series is exactly why I'm critical of it really. I don't want to see a series I love dragged through all of these issues.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Campaigns don't have to give backers anything more than they originally offered, but many of them do because it fosters good will which is invaluable.
After delivering on their backer headsets, Oculus gave their Dev kit Kickstarter backers an additional retail headset once those released worth upwards of $700, free of charge.

Us Shenmue 3 backers aren't worth giving a few digital preorder trinkets that cost them literally next to nothing.