• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 7 hours, 34 minutes, 8 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

SaGa Scarlet Grace Ambitions |OT| So Good It Sells Itself

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
man this little fae coastal region is great for smithing, and the loop of "go to specific forge for an elemental price reduction -> get a price reduction on all materials for being such a good customer -> continue to use that forge because of the all material discount and get an even bigger discount on all materials" is pretty addictive, and much better than the various merchant levels in Minstrel Song.

(though i'm guessing at some point the game is going to be less "these discounts are a fun perk :)" and more "if you don't have multiple levels of discounts you ain't ever gonna have the materials to forge anything booboo")

i know with weapons there's a reason to hold off on forging, but i can go hog wild with armor right
I loved the wild strawberries in the area that recovers +1 LP to all. Only time were recovering these wasn't tedious. If you keep fighting and opening the basket trap instead of a fae you will get strawberries.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't posted much since I've been so engrossed. I just finished doing (Urpina sidequest spoiler) Urpina's dual wield section and now I'm working my way through Cerenaif. I'm looking forward to the upcoming bits when the game opens up a bit so I can really go in on smithing at the various smithies. One of the upgrade paths I really want to do requires two different specific elemental smithies.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't posted much since I've been so engrossed. I just finished doing (Urpina sidequest spoiler) Urpina's dual wield section and now I'm working my way through Cerenaif. I'm looking forward to the upcoming bits when the game opens up a bit so I can really go in on smithing at the various smithies. One of the upgrade paths I really want to do requires two different specific elemental smithies.
I'm in this area now and had a question about one of the roaming engagements here.

Can you interact with the fae hunters at all?
I've gotten Dual Wield, and I've recruited Griffin and Chichi.
I can capture the fairies and take them to the festival to get holy water, or take them to the stone and get into a battle (done each once), but not sure what to do with the hunters.
Thought someone had told me to take care of them. I just want to destroy those boxes on the map haha

noyram23

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide to recruit all characters or just a general guide? I can't find anything much about this game on google

Marukoban

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any guide how to develop magic in this game?
I keep pumping all the fluxes to Siren, but it takes ages to even level up, and it said my Aes lvl it too low to glimmer new spell.
I also changed Solon's weapon to Great Staff, but doesn't seem to let him glimmer or use any new magic.
The other thing is, is there any way to speed up spellcasting?

24thWard

Oct 30, 2017
I managed to defeat

that big skeleton squid

without a single casualty somehow, a bunch of my units were a few HPs away from death and single ink attack would have probably wrecked my whole party. Sleep and paralysis saved my ass multiple times during that fight.

Hugely satisfying but i think that's enough SG for today lol

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in this area now and had a question about one of the roaming engagements here.

Can you interact with the fae hunters at all?
I've gotten Dual Wield, and I've recruited Griffin and Chichi.
I can capture the fairies and take them to the festival to get holy water, or take them to the stone and get into a battle (done each once), but not sure what to do with the hunters.
Thought someone had told me to take care of them. I just want to destroy those boxes on the map haha
You can.

You need to let the fairy remain in the trap and then progress the days until one of the crates says it has a bottled fairy in it, then you can go beef with the hunters.[

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
so is there a way to reclaim the LP this curse stole or
Win the battle that follows.
Is there a guide to recruit all characters or just a general guide? I can't find anything much about this game on google
It's probably not really helpful, but I use the Japanese Kamikouryaku guide. The game is incredibly dense, and it'll probably take a while before there's some kind of guide in English I'm afraid.
Is there any guide how to develop magic in this game?
I keep pumping all the fluxes to Siren, but it takes ages to even level up, and it said my Aes lvl it too low to glimmer new spell.
I also changed Solon's weapon to Great Staff, but doesn't seem to let him glimmer or use any new magic.
The other thing is, is there any way to speed up spellcasting?
Does this GameFAQs post help?

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
Does anyone know what am i suppposed to do in the
Dual wielding
side quest? I tried talking to all the towns and idk what to do

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what am i suppposed to do in the
Dual wielding
side quest? I tried talking to all the towns and idk what to do
Visit every town, then go to the abandoned village a few times. You'll fight a battle, and then whether you win or not, go to the cocoon.

Flon

Oct 27, 2017
The comments in this thread has just pushed me to buy this. Looking forward to getting into it when I get the time!

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Thanks for the link.
1 follow-up question, how do I know whether the staff I have is for forward or backward learning?
Glancing over the wiki, it appears there's only one backward learning staff, the Mold Breaker, which you'll have to upgrade from the Transitory Staff when your Smithy reaches level 12.

Oct 25, 2017
All the positive impressions are winning me over, despite me not enjoying the aesthetics and UI.

How long roughly is the game? I'm hoping for something that's not overbearing and wears out it's welcome.

Neoweee

Oct 25, 2017
Blacksmith Level looks like the most important stat so far. The cost reduction to low tiers of upgrades makes them virtually free, which I think encourages being fairly liberal with expensive upgrades thanks to how much they boost your Rank. Just note when a weapon has the rare spark type of its class and

Some questions:
  1. The Town Development/trading minigame is kind of a mess. I imagine is tedious on characters that aren't Leonard?
  2. Does Battle Rank impact the final boss, or is it set / other mechanics? If Scarlet Shards determine difficulty which is easiest?
  3. Are there lists of what changes on Combat Difficulty settings?
  4. I assume Leonard has the most access to recruitable characters. How many can he get total? How few can Balmaint get?

All the positive impressions are winning me over, despite me not enjoying the aesthetics and UI.

How long roughly is the game? I'm hoping for something that's not overbearing and wears out it's welcome.
It is supposed to be replayable, but it can be really open and variable, and there is a difficulty setting that can lengthen or shorten the game essentially. Anything from 20 hours to 50 hours seems in the range of normal.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it's kind of amusing seeing what they decided should be voice acted
One of like three major characters dying? No voices for you.
The Lighthouse Keeper telling telling someone how to navigate the ocean in a non-interactive ship sequence? Voice acted

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I've been able to tell, it's a straight battle rank modifier. I haven't found any detailed information about it on any JP site, but they all seem to talk about it like that's what it is.
this one suggests that hard mode also gives you more battle rank experience per encounter (+15 initial and +4 on refights), and also seems to indicate that Ambitions raises the default experience per encounter from +10 to +12 (i guess maybe Easy mode lowers it to +10?)

But more importantly, that website includes a chart to figure out what your Battle Rank is based on the number of Crystals offered as a reward from encounters

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
this one suggests that hard mode also gives you more battle rank experience per encounter (+15 initial and +4 on refights), and also seems to indicate that Ambitions raises the default experience per encounter from +10 to +12 (i guess maybe Easy mode lowers it to +10?)

But more importantly, that website includes a chart to figure out what your Battle Rank is based on the number of Crystals offered as a reward from encounters
This is awesome, but it seems to be referring to encounter difficulty, rather than the difficulty setting in the menu? Or at least it is difficult to determine which they're talking about. Sometimes they say the difficulty level of the battle location and sometimes they say difficulty setting.

Edit: Okay they have a few other pages that talk about it, and it's definitely vague about "enemies are weaker" or whatever. Weird to see concrete numbers for so many things but not this.

Last edited:

Iggy

Oct 27, 2017
I assume Leonard has the most access to recruitable characters. How many can he get total? How few can Balmaint get?
In vanilla SG, Leo had a maximum of 37 recruitable characters (though some exclusive to each other). Ambitions added a few more.
Balmaint had a maximum of 42 recruitable characters, under the same limitation.

Neoweee

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I've been able to tell, it's a straight battle rank modifier. I haven't found any detailed information about it on any JP site, but they all seem to talk about it like that's what it is.
I really like that idea for difficulty levels. In practice it makes the difficulty curve steeper, and keeping up with the curve has always been the center of the SaGa difficulty curve (at least for the games with substantial BR mechanics). It also makes it harder in an interesting way, as you move up to higher tiers of enemies rather than just fighting the same type with multiplies stats.

In vanilla SG, Leo had a maximum of 37 recruitable characters (though some exclusive to each other). Ambitions added a few more.
Balmaint had a maximum of 42 recruitable characters, under the same limitation.
Wow, I would not have guessed that. Do you end up doing totally different zones depending on your answers in Balmaint's arc? I would not have guessed he has more than the open-world character.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it's all fun and games until you get new characters you want to try out and suddenly realize none of your old strategies will work very well anymore

so far enemy types that are Weak To Fire, Immune To Basically All Status Effects have been my biggest hurdle