ResetEra Moderation Staff is Fucking Up Beyond Belief on LGBT+ Issues

Yerba_Sutra

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Oh wow, I had no idea this existed, good shit man! Be cool if that thread could be pinned or something, it's a great resource.
I'm glad I was able to bring your attention to it, and I agree that it should be pinned!

EDIT: Since this is the first post of a new page, I'll quote myself
As I already posted on the last page, there is already an "ask questions" thread for those wanting to know more about the trans community & the issues they face:
This is part of the reason people get frustrated with the questions. This info has been posted but the only post folks seem to be responding to is the one that posits a viewpoint considered extreme. Many suggestions in response to it include steps which have already been taken and which have already been highlighted here. People often come in asking questions that were answered a page or two before. Makes it seem like y'all aren't actually reading the content of this thread. Why would people respond in good faith when it doesn't seem like you're reading the damn thread?
If you have a question or a response to a post that kinda gets under your skin, there's a very high chance that if you actually read the thread this question has already been asked or this the response you're writing has already been written, and you're just filing up the thread/discussion with redundancy, which is extremely frustrating for people trying to foster deeper discussion, and when it's said and done is on you for not reading the thread.

Last edited:

Wookieomg

Oct 25, 2017
Oklahoma
As I already posted on the last page, there is already an "ask questions" thread for those wanting to know more about the trans community & the issues they face:
This is part of the reason people get frustrated with the questions. This info has been posted but the only post folks seem to be responding to is the one that posits a viewpoint considered extreme. Many suggestions in response to it include steps which have already been taken and which have already been highlighted here. People often come in asking questions that were answered a page or two before. Makes it seem like y'all aren't actually reading the content of this thread. Why would people respond in good faith when it doesn't seem like you're reading the damn thread?
My apologies. I hadn't caught up with the thread since yesterday, had only skimmed the current page the thread was on and thought I'd contribute the idea. Sorry for being redundant! That thread is a great resource and I concur with Doof that it would be great if it were pinned.

I was thinking even broader in scope than that though, maybe have a thread that covers all sorts of subjects like minority issues from race, gender, culture, etc. The idea is that stereotypes/problematic views that crop up in threads could potentially be remedied by information and knowledge in one central location. Maybe have the thread stickied/pinned as well, or have a specific part of the site dedicated to information such as that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This post has been pasted into the staff Discord and talked about at length today.

I just want to say that we hear you and that discussion regarding ban lengths is underway. We will have more to say soon but in the meantime, any constructive feedback such as this is very welcome.
I hope that if bans become even more severe that we get very specific guidelines about what and why causes them. A lot of the statements being made in this thread are pretty broad and lacking reference to specific scenarios. I've asked a legitimate question about asexuality before, and if someone assumed I was Just Asking Questions and I caught a 6 month ban for that I would feel pretty put off. So I'm hoping the we get some very clear examples of what is and isn't acceptable to post, as applied to specific situations. I recognize it's difficult since insincere posters are intentionally disguising themselves as sincere.

Space Madness

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to show my support for TransEra. Being a minority on the internet can suck, and it's awful when the moderation doesn't have your back.

Moderation here needs to police their own if they're going to claim that this place is inclusive and transparent, and when that fails they need to be open about it and receptive to feedback.

Mewn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
UK
People need to learn to formulate sincere questions with actual sincerity. This is a problem that has compounded and caused part of the issue on a forum like this. Folks don't sound like they are posting in good faith because they don't even make the small effort to do that.

It can get tiring for folks to start to differentiate between who is a bad faith actor and who is a good faith one when they all sound the same.

Folks need to put in the requiste effort or be ignored completely.
This.

And if I'm being honest, I'm always going to consider the safety and comfort of Era's minority groups to be of greater importance than people's desire to have all of their questions answered. If people don't feel safe or comfortable posting, they'll retreat to community hangouts, or Discord, and their important discourse in main forum threads is lost. The forum suffers as a whole for the loss of those voices.

Oct 26, 2017
Harsher bans are really needed, specially in gaming side. Like these example of representation and the racist examples given by awful people:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash-has-70-characters-but-not-1-black-or-brown-fighter.78459/

Look at the time they got for saying vile racist things. Like you do not have to use kiddy gloves against them, just nuke them from this place. Also look that those that got 2 weeks bans are now perma banned because some of those accounts were clearly alt ones. But other posters that were given a light banning in that thread still post.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
As someone who mainly observes a lot of these threads (threads regarding LGBT+ and minority issues), mainly to learn, this cannot be stated enough. I've seen a quite a lot of otherwise insightful minority members receive harsh bans because they get too angry and fed with having to repeat the same arguments both here and presumably outside this site and lash out and JAQoffs or obvious alts.
Those members should’ve used the Report button, rather than breaking the TOS by insulting other members.

There’s also an Ignore button to use

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
But sincere ignorance has a place on a discussion board, which should be a safe space for posing questions in good faith. Gatekeeping the forum from the sincerely ignorant (as frustrating as they can be at times) means less discussion, less learning, less growth, etc. A Google search isn't an effective or efficient means of learning for everyone. Many people learn better from discussion and dialogue, which is why Q&A interaction has been a pillar of pedagogy for millennia. A discussion board should always be a place where people feel welcome to come get informed on a variety of news and issues, not a place reserved solely for the informed.

An alternative solution would be to moderate the Hangouts subforums as you suggest as a sort of safe space from questions and discussion, while the standard subforums can be moderated as a safe space for questions and discussion. While more work for the mods, this seems like it would be the best of both worlds for the Era community.
Resetera doesn’t need to be the place where that kind of discussion happens, though. We’re not a school. Marginalized people want to be able to discuss things too, without constantly being interrupted and having to be educators instead. Cause that’s what happens when things are like this: they can’t discuss things normally.

So how about we prioritize them instead? We won’t have less discussion, we’ll have different, better discussions: one that are less ignorant, but still varied. There are discussions that can never happen as is because we have to allow for ignorance to have a seat at the table.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those members should’ve used the Report button, rather than breaking the TOS by insulting other members.

There’s also an Ignore button to use
The point is that these issues are being ignored or being punished with a slap on the wrist. So even if a report comes in, it means nothing ultimately.

An ignore button shouldn’t be necessary for someone who is obviously not acting in good faith or worse. Members should be able to trust the report system will handle posters like this, but so far history has shown the report system will do very little.

Yerba_Sutra

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
My apologies. I hadn't caught up with the thread since yesterday, had only skimmed the current page the thread was on and thought I'd contribute the idea. Sorry for being redundant! That thread is a great resource and I concur with Doof that it would be great if it were pinned.

I was thinking even broader in scope than that though, maybe have a thread that covers all sorts of subjects like minority issues from race, gender, culture, etc. The idea is that stereotypes/problematic views that crop up in threads could potentially be remedied by information and knowledge in one central location. Maybe have the thread stickied/pinned as well, or have a specific part of the site dedicated to information such as that.
Hey no worries, I do understand that it happens. Especially with a thread as large as this with enough redundancy to make it tough to know where the overall conversation has moved. I think it mostly gets frustrating when you have such a bulk of posters not taking the time to read the thread or any adjacent threads at all (or any threads at all, they just drop their take and dig their heels in). As has been said, it gets very hard to parse who is actually putting effort in.

I think it might be easier to navigate if we had a sub-section with individual 101 threads for given issues? Very good idea thought, that kind of thing needs to be visible and encouraged.

Biggersmaller

Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Moderation has been far too irregular regarding transgender threads. It's not surprising it was this topic that pushed the far too subjective, trigger happy ban process a tad too far.

Dear mods,

Understanding this is a largely volunteer operation, it's impossible to regulate controversial social topics at the granular level this forum is attempting. Generally speaking, Era loses all virtue if silencing people who honestly disagree occurs because a minority is contentiously expecting it. This should be a safe place to discuss. Not a safe place to never expect a counterpoint or be asked to further explain a position. Unless a post's intent is clearly bigoted, abusive, or trolling - it must stand.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
The point is that these issues are being ignored or being punished with a slap on the wrist. So even if a report comes in, it means nothing ultimately.

An ignore button shouldn’t be necessary for someone who is obviously not acting in good faith or worse. Members should be able to trust the report system will handle posters like this, but so far history has shown the report system will do very little.
Another thing about the Ignore Button is that people are not only fighting back because they are hurt themselve but to support other people in the community as well that will be hurt by what was said. And just ignoring someone won't solve that.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Moderation has been far too irregular regarding transgender threads. It's not surprising it was this topic that pushed the far too subjective, trigger happy ban process a tad too far.

Dear mods,

Understanding this is a largely volunteer operation, it's impossible to regulate controversial social topics at the granular level this forum is attempting. Generally speaking, Era loses all virtue if silencing people who honestly disagree occurs because a minority is contentiously expecting it. This should be a safe place to discuss. Not a safe place to never expect a counterpoint or be asked to further explain a position. Unless a post's intent is clearly bigoted, abusive, or trolling - it must stand.
This kind of reads like a request to be banning less often, which is the opposite of what most of the thread is requesting. Do you have examples of these "trigger happy" trans related bans that you think shouldn't have happened?

Primethius

Oct 25, 2017

Dear mods,

Hell no.

This would make the situation even worse because bad faith actors have their playbook of plausible deniabilty ready and primed.

And people who disagree with what? What counter points? A bunch of folks defending transphobia because their favorite show or creator started spewing that shit?

Khrn

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a system that could be added to the report system for more transparency that sends automated messages to the reporter to show when their report is pending, in analysis, and then the result? A lot of users have been talking about how their reports go completely ignored, and the staff says it can be slow because they're volunteers. This way, users will at least know what stage it is.

It also seems necessary that the rules should state very clearly the punishment that should be applied to sexism, racism, any kind of LGBTQIA+ phobia, and what happens in case a staff member also does that. It doesn't matter that it's not expected to happen. Users should be comfortable knowing what rule will be applied in any kind of possible scenario.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Dear mods,

Moderation is often irregular, but that’s because it treats gaming bans with more sincerity than for the infractions discussed in this thread. You can catch a 2 week ban for saying “I hope FFVII comes to Switch” or “Shenmue is bad” (not joking), but the bad faith actors referenced in this thread go unaddressed. I don’t want the 6 month bans people are calling for here, but at least prioritize ban durations appropriately relative to other topics.

Dec 24, 2017

an entire Era community: Hey Mod’s this post and poster are racist.

Mods: *shrug*

What then? Because I personally am tired of explaining to Era writ large and mods about the issues of my community and constantly being shouted down by folks in Era who are not part of my community that what we are experiencing is not racism. Then the mods don’t do anything or are very slow to act. And the only reason people do end up getting banned is because they get fucking emboldened by how Era as a whole is reacting or lack of mod intervention and they say something really racist and force their hand.

And it makes it fucking worse that people’s counters are “Well, Cerium didn’t think that was racist , because the poster is still posting.”

We’re all leaving for the most part anyway because of the bullshit institutionalized racism here anyway.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
In regards to future moderation proposals and bans, using Royalan’s gaf post as an example, would that post be ban worthy? And if so, how long of a ban?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Dear mods,

You literally know nothing about what’s being discussed here if you think the problem is too many bans.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018

Dear mods,

The outcome of what you are advocating for here is that minority posters disengage with this forum. Is that the outcome you want?

Oct 25, 2017
People like you have to stop hijacking what the trans and minority communities in this forum want just because you ate a few bans. KetKat's ban is not comparable to any of yours. You deserved every last one and they weren't even longer than two weeks, get over it.

This would just encourage the kind of bullshit that's already driving patient people up the wall. No, this place shouldn't be a safe place for discussion because that's exactly what lets bigotry thrive.

Sep 14, 2018
I agree with the user saying it's not up to us to educate people I've said the same thing before while attempting to do it and in my experience they don't even care what you say, they're not trying to understand anything, just waste people's time that's why I stopped bothering months ago.

I think people being mostly informed about what the hell they're talking about is not too much to ask, go ask questions somewhere else.

And while we're on the subject of making changes, when can we ignore mods? People have been asking for this for a while, looks like the right time.

Tyrant Rave

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a system that could be added to the report system for more transparency that sends automated messages to the reporter to show when their report is pending, in analysis, and then the result? A lot of users have been talking about how their reports go completely ignored, and the staff says it can be slow because they're volunteers. This way, users will at least know what stage it is.

It also seems necessary that the rules should state very clearly the punishment that should be applied to sexism, racism, any kind of LGBTQIA+ phobia, and what happens in case a staff member also does that. It doesn't matter that it's not expected to happen. Users should be comfortable knowing what rule will be applied in any kind of possible scenario.
I asked about this once in the past and was more or less told it was too much work for them if I recall correctly. All that means is I feel less comfortable in reporting posts. If something is disregarded I'd love to know why.

Primethius

Oct 25, 2017

Reporting needs a basic overhaul absolutely. At the least, you should be informed if your report was actioned upon or not.

I've basically stopped reporting because there's no feedback on my end. I never get notified if it did anything.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Reporting needs a basic overhaul absolutely. At the least, you should be informed if your report was actioned upon or not.

I've basically stopped reporting because there's no feedback on my end. I never get notified if it did anything.
I get notified occasionally, but not especially often. I would like it if there were some sort of auto-notification for reports, but I don't know how hard that is to build and implement.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Is there more against royalan besides that post?

Because if there wasn't anything else, I don't think it's fair to dogpile and call him a bigot for that only. Seems to me more of an ocasion to debate and discuss, because he is speaking about a sensible matter for him too, and as a gay man I can understand to some degree where he is coming from.

If there were other incidents besides that one that I'm not aware of, please ignore me.
he said other problematic things on related subjects in the past. that said, I don't want to make this thread about him so I'll leave it at that

Sep 14, 2018

I think I received a notification once, when I reported some post, so maybe it goes to the first person to report?

I don't remember that well maybe I imagined it lol.

Nairume

Oct 25, 2017
Said poster (Son Lamar) was banned two hours after his post so it did not take all day. We are volunteers who give up our free time when we are able to and have been dealing with an increased volume of reports as of late however even on a quiet day it's not reasonable to expect immediate action on reports, especially for duration pending bans which typically involves a thorough examination of past infractions and of their posting history to facilitate the review.

As for general commentary on ban duration, this is currently under consideration and we will hopefully have more to announce soon.
I do apologize about mistaking when they were banned. I also do appreciate the fact that you guys are unpaid volunteers who do this in what time you are able to spare.

With that said, most of my point still stands. The poster in question shouldn't have been given such a light sentence to begin with, which speaks to how the moderation policies here are laxer than they should be. Plus, even that they were banned again after two hours still feels wrong, given it took less time for the accidental ban to drop on Yukiko, which is a profoundly poor look for the staff in a tense time.

Again, I appreciate what you guys do with your free time, but it shouldn't be controversial to ask that you do more and do better. Either by expanding the staff, by rotating out people who aren't able to contribute the necessary time, rotate in those who do have the time, or by making the rules for discussion even clearer. While it obviously still had leadership issues at the top and at least two incredibly gross actors under that leadership, GAF circa 2015 otherwise found a pretty reasonable sweet spot with its moderation and guidelines where they were able to manage the community as they needed them to without stifling the community. That's not an unreasonable expectation here. Two years should have been enough to get things back to where they should be, rather than just maintaining the questionable status quo of the site before the split happened. We clearly aren't there yet, given the events of the past few days (and, really, it's been a long time coming) but we should be working together as a community to improve things for tomorrow.

I think I received a notification once, when I reported some post, so maybe it goes to the first person to report?

I don't remember that well maybe I imagined it lol.
I presume it's either the first report or, more likely, which every report the staff uses to go to the post. I've received feedback before saying resolution has taken place, and have actually once even received a rejection of a report.

BDS

Oct 25, 2017
One thought I had regarding a ban appeal system: to cut down on bad faith appeals, the staff could decide that certain rules are simply off-limits for an appeal to be considered. For example, bans for bigotry, promoting piracy, some other blatantly obvious situations like telling somebody to go kill themselves or something, these would be unappealable and the decision is final. Appeals would be allowed for all other cases.

Ideally, you'd want a situation where only around 20% of bans, at most, are appealable.

Deffers

Mar 4, 2018
One thought I had regarding a ban appeal system: to cut down on bad faith appeals, the staff could decide that certain rules are simply off-limits for an appeal to be considered. For example, bans for bigotry, promoting piracy, some other blatantly obvious situations like telling somebody to go kill themselves or something, these would be unappealable and the decision is final. Appeals would be allowed for all other cases.

Ideally, you'd want a situation where only around 20% of bans, at most, are appealable.
Don't disagree. Not every case needs a subtle touch.

oreomunsta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, are we still without an official communication or response?

We're almost at 2 days now since this situation peaked

Primethius

Oct 25, 2017

I think this is a good idea and to be honest, I'm not sure where I stand with ban appeals. I do think, whether you have them or not, you need publicly facing information about people that were banned and why (a separate list/board for example).

You preserve some level of mod discretion, in which they are dealing with a plethora of posters deserving of their bans without adding in unnecessary appeal time.

But you also give communities methods by which to see what happened, how it happened, and make cases on behalf of members as a result.

Worst case scenario is like now, where members can simply disappear due to a banning and no one will know/be able to do anything unless it becomes a big deal.

Biggersmaller

Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I received a lot of responses regarding my post and cannot address each of them individually. Generally, I understand many people want more stringent moderation, but that is why I posted for less bans. I believe in reasonable and sincere discourse and debate. I do believe that can be stifled with overzealous moderation - something far more common on the gaming side, but is an opinion I share for both boards.

People like you have to stop hijacking what the trans and minority communities in this forum want just because you ate a few bans. KetKat's ban is not comparable to any of yours. You deserved every last one and they weren't even longer than two weeks, get over it.

This would just encourage the kind of bullshit that's already driving patient people up the wall. No, this place shouldn't be a safe place for discussion because that's exactly what lets bigotry thrive.
I never argued a single one of my bans in public or private and it wasn't what drove me to post here. I pretty much moved on. I should ask you about them, apparently you know them better than I do. Read what I wrote and you will see I never mentioned or even attempted to equate any of my bans with KetKat. My post simply never mentions KetKat, KetKat's ban or my prior bans. I also don't post in community threads.

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

But what if you disagree that your post was "promoting piracy" for example and was just misinterpreted? An appeal system that only applies in specific circumstances doesn't make much sense as the point of the appeal is that you disagree with the ban reasons.

BDS

Oct 25, 2017
But what if you disagree that your post was "promoting piracy" for example and was just misinterpreted? An appeal system that only applies in specific circumstances doesn't make much sense as the point of the appeal is that you disagree with the ban reasons.
So as someone who actually was once banned for a brief time over a misunderstood post, multiple people in the thread immediately identified that my post was not interpreted correctly and informed the staff, who overturned the ban.

If your post is clearly misunderstood, people will vouch for you. If your post is so similar to an actual offense that nobody in the thread can recognize it as such, perhaps it shouldn't be posted.

With that being said, my idea was that the appeal system would still be open to anyone who's been banned (I doubt, from a technical perspective, there's a way to make it so only certain bans can be appealed), which means if you think your post was misunderstood you can still appeal it anyway. It's just that for whatever "capital offenses" have been decided upon (bigotry, etc.) there's no guarantee your appeal will actually be examined.

Primethius

Oct 25, 2017
The contact us form already functions for situations like that.

I was banned once for promoting piracy. I sent the moderation team a message telling them that my post was a quote from another poster who I was mocking (who had admitted to piracy).

Ban lifted within a couple of hours.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
my time as a mod has shown me that 90% of the ban appeals sent in are complete horseshit anyways

Surfinn

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Official Staff Communication
For the good of the community, we are commuting Ketkat's ban to time served. After speaking at length with Ketkat, we recognize that the breach of privacy was the crux of the problem and that it was a mistake to reference the personal relationship in the initial banner.

The timing and place of the ban sent a message to the community that was never intended in the least, and we sincerely apologize for that above all. We're taking this moment to listen, and we have reached out to the TransEra community to open direct dialogue about how we can all move forward and heal together.
Is this the only official response so far? It reads like a prelude to a more significant statement, one that addresses all of the OP and general concerns that have been raised over the course of months.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Dear mods,

Trans folx know what's bigoted, abusive and trolling though - we've heard it all before countless times.

How about deferring to those of us who actually know our community, instead of assuming we don't know what we know.

Hecht

Arizona shrimp horny
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Is this the only official response so far? It reads like a prelude to a more significant statement, one that addresses all of the OP and general concerns that have been raised over the course of months.
The second paragraph states that we're talking directly to members of TransEra to get a discussion going regarding all of this in the future. I don't have a date set yet or anything, we're still working on that.