• An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 1 day, 2 hours, 5 minutes, 18 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

ResetEra Moderation Staff is Fucking Up Beyond Belief on LGBT+ Issues

Gundam

Oct 25, 2017
I am reposting this thread for visibility and awareness of the situation, and because it seems moderation has given up on locking related threads and quarantining the discussion to the Trans Awareness thread. Seeing as the entire moderation staff is asleep right now, I'm not really going to wait for permission to remake this thread.

Most recently Yukiko was banned and given a false, made up reason "self requested ban". This seems to have been reversed, but there is still nothing from the mods.

Unban KetKat, and implement Moderation rotation, as well as ban the incompetent moderation that lead to this shit show. Below is the original thread:

Moderation is utterly failing, and in spectacular fashion during Trans Awareness Week. This thread will be locked, and if it's anything like the "Fuck Acephobes" thread, no reason will be given, moderation will stay non-transparent, inconsistent, and more concerned about protecting the rest of the moderation staff than it will cultivating a safe and productive space for LGBTQ voices on ResetEra.

Right now, this discussion is being quarantined to the Trans Awareness Week Thread, which you can catch up on and find here:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/its-trans-awareness-week-nov-13th-19th.153146/page-12

A timeline for those new:

• Months of inaction while trans threads remain the most hostile and least pleasant place for trans people on Era.
  • This is called out several times but is only dealt with in isolated single cases, like a post being edited out
  • Finally hits breaking point, culminating in an ace member of the forum making a post calling it out
  • Moderators offer support but refuse to stick the thread or address/acknowledge the issue
  • A staff post is made a week later that’s generic, doesn’t acknowledge the inaction and is 50% about the staff themselves.
  • That 50% is lamenting how the staff has been made to feel as a result of people expressing at the inaction
  • Ketkat and other trans members push back, saying the attitude is the very issue we’re trying to highlight
  • Ketkat mentions in a minor part of the post that a staff member that is known to be acephobic
  • Ketkat is banned within minutes
  • Mods suddenly start replying, with more passion than had been shown to the thread in the week prior
  • It’s implied that Ketkat gained illicit access and abused her girlfriend
  • Royalan then details in paragraphs the mod stance on the issue and comes to lock the thread
  • The thread that was made to highlight trans issues is locked by Royalan
  • The Trans Awareness Week becomes the home to share frustrations.
  • Ketkat’s ban reason changes three times over this period.
  • Eventually a staff post is made, much in the same vein as the past one
  • It suggests that we should get back to talking about trans awareness
  • It details that Ketkat is permanently banned
  • Royalan once again comes in to detail why this is the way it is, and asks to be held accountable
  • It is then uncovered that Royalan has posted acephobic comments in the recent past
  • Robin (Ketkat’s girlfriend) mentions that Royalan isn’t even the person being referred to initially.

EDIT:

Once the mods respond, don't lock the thread.

Keep the discussion going as it would be pointless to get a response saying "it is fixed now". People need to talk about the response and if it is good enough

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe mods thought they could just lock the threads and hope it would go away.

Because that worked SO WELL for Eviloser back on the other site...

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
This places moderation has been worse than GAF since Day 1.

Zero transparency or consistency with bans being handed out that just reinforce the mods opinions and stamp out actual discussion. Any questioning of it gets users immediately banned.

Large sections of different communities stick to community threads because they're scared of being ganged up on, attacked and then banned.

The mods here act like the police in the real world.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017

Zero transparency or consistency with bans being handed out that just reinforce the mods opinions and stamp out actual discussion. Any questioning of it gets users immediately banned.

Large sections of different communities stick to community threads because they're scared of being hanged up on, attacked and then banned.

The mods here act like the police in the real world.
Give some people some power and it goes to their heads. I hope we get a proper response, because once morning comes this fire is going to get a lot bigger.

FreezePeach

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, i realize there is a shitshow happening but this isnt true at all. GAF didnt have shorter durations and reasons for the ban highlighted on the post, which era had day 1. I know people are upset but lets give this a couple of hours before shit explodes.

*Note to staff*

shit exploding goes real fucking fast doesnt it. Maybe be more careful.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised. Gotta remember that the good and the bad came over to this site when there was a mass migration. I remember people posting gifs and pictures of self genital mutilation on GAF to be banned. Same people are here.

Hopefully this works out.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If the mods want to lock this maybe consider changing the trans awareness thread title to something else. We need and want a thread with a title that shows the current situation that highlights the problems that some of our members have with the mod team.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
There really needs to be some serious introspection done here. Even without the context of this being Trans Awareness Week for fucks sake, this whole situation was so easily avoidable.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
This is straight up fucking awful. I cant even imagine the struggle trans folks go through in their daily life and then to even have to deal with this shit here too.

Ain’t right at all

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Oct 25, 2017
If the mods want to lock this maybe consider changing the trans awareness thread title to something else. We need and want a thread with a title that shows the current situation that highlights the problems that some of our members have with the mod team.
Stickied threads have a tendency to get ignored, hence all these other threads cropping up in Etc

TokyoJoe

Oct 28, 2017
How ironic. The thing they wanted to avoid by creating this place is the same thing that is going to tear this place up. It's just a matter of when. The similarity of the mods here and at the old place is basically the same.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for posting this, otherwise I would have missed it. Looks like admins and mods here did not learn anything from the other side downfall.

Like, how hard is it to apologize, try to undone the damage done and remove the bad faith actors?

Apparently really hard.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Least give a damn reason before locking threads especially in regards to these issues...

Mortemis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe mods thought they could just lock the threads and hope it would go away.

Because that worked SO WELL for Eviloser back on the other site...
This is the part is really frustrating me.

How the fuck has no one learned anything about GAF? It’s only been two years. No transparency just makes things boil over.

Akronis

Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, going to need a proper response here from the staff

They fucked up big time

hippopotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Like just imagine getting so high off the power of being a video game forum moderator that you start acting like a crooked cop.

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017
I’m gonna post what I originally was sending right when I got banned

100% we’re gonna get “that pic was TWO YEARS AGO people change and I’m not perfect but I’m better now blah blah blah blah. Blah” followed by us all getting banned and then thread locked and mod posts that the situation is over no more discussion
Gee that wasn’t predictable or anything was it

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Stickied threads have a tendency to get ignored, hence all these other threads cropping up in Etc
Can we get a valid response and not just locking the thread?
Least give a damn reason before locking threads especially in regards to these issues...
I wonder what the mods would do if we just keep making new threads whenever they close one without explanation.

Oct 26, 2017
yukiko gets banned and then unbanned. someone or some people are trying to cover this up.

like, royalan needs to be removed as a mod (at the very least) and ketkat unbanned.

Hobbes

Incident Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Reposting what I said in the trans awareness thread:

Hello,

Someone messaged me to bring this to my attention. As I understand the situation, a leading community figure in the trans era community was banned for mentioning that chats exist regarding a moderator who expressed discrimination of Asexuals in a private staff-run Discord server/channel.

Most importantly, the allegation alleges that this discrimination was not challenged and even agreed with by other(s). Below are a list of questions I request Administration to answer as best as possible to allow a cleaner discussion regarding the issue.

1. Are the allegations made by the banned user true?
  2. If the allegations are true, what is being done to correct / educate this moderator's behavior and view?
  3. What specific site rules exist that allow such a ban to occur, given that the incident (the breach of privacy on a Staff discord) occurred off-site, and was simply mentioned in passing in a post?
  4. Why was the ban permanent rather than shorter?
  5. Does this breach of privacy warrant such a strong punishment?
  6. How was the investigation conducted?
  7. What information was provided that proved misconduct and malicious intent on part of the banned user?

I believe moderation has quite a lot of blanks to fill regarding this incident. After all, I'm an incident manager, this is my job, and I feel like the reasoning provided is not good enough. If I were to write an Incident Report based on the information available to me from both staff and non-staff, it would be sent back to me, with the reason that the Root Cause Analysis is not good enough and does not warrant the punishment given.

With the way that it is currently framed, you have someone who is essentially a whistleblower that became banned BECAUSE they brought forth issues with moderation and discrimination against Asexuals. I want to believe that Era is not this forum of dog shit. I want to believe that all of these Twitter messages I get are wrong, and this place is a safe space for progressive thinking and inclusiveness. Currently, I'm not so sure.

Moderation needs to correct the current view point with something substantial.

P.S.

Lets not do what some people do in the LGBT+ community and talk about how you're part of the community and then belittle and discriminate against the other letters that it stands for.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Were people just coming into that thread and being nasty to the community? Did those people catch a ban?

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017
yukiko gets banned and then unbanned. someone or some people are trying to cover this up.

like, royalan needs to be removed as a mod (at the very least) and ketkat unbanned.
they’re fucking cowards

I bet they didn’t expect my banning to get any attention since I’m truly not all that active and freaked when they got caught