• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

ResetEra Album of the Week Club

Sabot

Oct 31, 2017
Getting my review in.

At first I was disappointed at the album choice because I've listened to this album to death, but listening to it at work today was such a nice experience. It's still great basically throughout. Time is still my favorite song of theirs, but I don't think I like Money that much anymore, it sounded somewhat derivative to me now. A lot of bands aped that style of blues rock around that era and I'm mostly worn out on blues/hard Rock now so it's not entirely their fault.

I dunno, I've heard this album so many times I don't really have anything new to pull from it. It's still good af.

Week 3: The Notwist - Shrink
OP
OP
Servbot24

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Week 3's results are in! Our next album of the week after some delay is...

The Notwist - Shrink

submitted by Sabot

Please have a listen to the album and post your thoughts! Remember to be respectful even if you don't enjoy it.

Everyone who gives this at least one full listen and adds their thoughts to the thread will qualify to submit for next week. If you would like to submit for next week, feel free to post your submission at any time in large text.

Standing submissions below. If you are on this list, you still need to participate in a review week in order for your submission to qualify next week. If you post a new suggestion, I will update it for you on the standing list:

ElectricBlanketFire : American Football - LP3
Komo : Mac Miller - Swimming
Brass Body Dave : City Morgue - Hell or High Water
Ledbetter : Som - Anak Ko
Fantomas : Wolf Alice - My Love is Cool
PassiveObserver : Swings - Detergent Hymns
Kyuuji : Maribou State - Portraits
denx : Luomo - Vocalcity
ShadowAUS : Ocean Alley - Chiaroscuro
Matthew77 : White Zombie - La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Pt 1
Servbot24 : Milton Nascimento - Clube da Esquina 1
Wired All Wrong : The Loving Paupers - Lines
Fat4all : Jonathan Coulton - Solid State
LaneDS : Future Islands - Evening Air
Sabot : The Notwist - Shrink
Oliver James : Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast
EchoSmoker : Caravan Palace - Miracle
kitchenmotors : EDEN - vertigo
BOTW is a 7/10 : Silverstein - This Is How the Wind Shifts
The Doomed One : Mike Patton - Corpse Flower
HiLife : SAINt JHN - Ghetto Lenny's Love Songs
Kumikomical: Nouon - KUU
plngsplsh : Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
LazyLain : Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Mi goreng : Rezzet - Rezzet
pokeystaples : The Highwomen - The Highwomen
Cipher Peon : My Chemical Romance - Danger Days
Jarate : Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
bye : Julia Holter - Aviary

If you submitted an album or changed your album and it's not listed above, please tag me with a correction.

Last edited:

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Cool choice. I've never listened to anything Notwist that predates Neon Golden. Really looking forward to this.
Servbot24, thank you btw for making this thread.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you keep picking albums I’ve already listened too!

(I haven’t listened to this since I was in my early 20’s lol, so I hardly remember it)

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
My thoughts so far on The Notwist's Shrink:

General:
I've listened to it two times now and it didn't really grab me and that's probably mostly due to the nature of the vocals and the songwriting. They all seem to center around the feeling of being a freak/nerd/outsider who is in love or at least interested in communion, but has to deal with insecurity, distance and rejection. That's okay. I think they nailed it on Neon Golden and Close to the Glass, but not so much here. The vocals are kinda blabla to me (especially Electric Bear) and are often way too distracting. Thus, the one standout track for me was Moron - one of the few instrumental tracks. (There's a remix by Funkstörung btw which I can recommend if you are into IDM/glitch-hop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg2pUEMoTFw).​

Musings on the theme/title/cover:
a) Shrink as a colloquialism for a psychiatrist - someone who, to quote wiktionary (head-shrink), "would remove such delusions, thus figuratively shrinking the patient's swelled head".​
b) Shrink as shrinkage, maybe the feeling of being small / belittled.​
Both meanings fit the album. There is the distance of someone that the lyric I longs for in Day 7: "I can see the shore from here / I see your town, I see your house, and you". The more distant something is the smaller it is. At one point the addressee is so distant, that they are another planet: "You stare and kiss me from above, don't you?"​
This shrinkage by distance is also present on the album cover. It shows something vast - presumably buildings of a long gone civilization. By showing it from above, these vast buildings appear small - almost like chips on a motherboard. In this case it's a double-distance - both spatial and temporal. I think that the cover also hints at the possibility that distance doesn't necessarily remove things from oneself, but also gives us a better understanding of them - an overview (of things that are hidden if we are too close to them). The lyric I mentions friends in both Another Planet and Shrink. They are removed from them, which sucks, as they could provide an outside (distant) perspective to give such an overview: "[T]hey never call you / To show you things from the buildings up above". But the lyric I is also hindered to call them by an unspecified IT: "it shifts you, / grips you / takes all your friends away from you". The lyric I feels "so tiny i can't even climb a chair. / i can't call you. / i can't write. / i can't reach the phone, / can't reach the light."​
Is the album the shrink? It seems like a therapeutic album. Maybe it didn't grab me, because those feelings are too foreign to me.​

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
Really like "Shrink" quite a bit. Going to check out the other albums by the artist.

Thoughts:

"Day 7"
Okay, this song is nice and simple. I dig this.
Surprise! There's another song in this song!
Digging this. Mellow vocals.

"Chemicals"
Not sure what I was expecting with this album, but so far it's a good surprise. Like this song quite a bit.

"Another Planet"
Another good one. The electronic noises kind of overwhelm the general rock music at times. It's interesting.

"Moron"
Love the horns and beat!
This is the kind of song I want playing while I am driving.
Sax freakout is awesome.

"Electric Bear"
I think I need to check out the entire discography of this band because I am really enjoying this.

"No Encores"
Music is very reminiscent of NIN, at least during the first first. Guess that's why I like it so much.

"N. L."
Yep, I am all in on this album.

"Shrink"
I already said I'm in.

"Your Signs"
Love how mellow these songs are while still being very interesting. The use of brass and woodwinds in this song is so great.

"0-4"
Here we are on the last song. There's not been a song I don't like on this album. Will this song close things out?
Off to a slow start.
Well I guess I cant' say I didn't like it...just was a do-nothing song.

Fantomas

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't forgot about this thread btw, I'm planning to listen tonight, so I'll get my thought down tomorrow at the latest.

YaBish

Oct 27, 2017
How did I just find this thread? Love this idea. Thanks for making it Servbot24. I remember you having great taste back at the old place too.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I had only ever listened to Neon Golden and a couple others before this, so it was interesting to hear it. A lot of the songwriting takes a similar approach as the later album of course, but it also feels very "1998" with the style of the guitar bits. I still like Neon Golden better, but the electronic work is really nice. I would actually love to hear a remix/remaster of this album. Good pick!

Blue for Sale

Sep 7, 2018
I've never heard of The Notwist before, and I usually look up the band to learn a little bit about them, but this time, coming to an album blind made it more exciting. It´s certainly not the type of rock I'm used to, making it a fresh listen to me.

The start of Day 7 made me think this was going to be electronic music only, so when the guitars appeared, they caught me by surprise. Chemicals was a bit of a let down after a great start, I didn't quite like the chiptune sound it had. Another Planet and Moron are excellent songs, especially the latter, I absolutely adored the jazz influence on it and the way it's mixed with the electronics. Sadly the next couple of songs bored me until Your Signs appeared, and I guess I enjoy it for the same reasons as Moron. 0-4 doesn't feel like a good way to end the album, but thats just me.

I still enjoyed the album, would probably check more of their discography in the future.

Servbot24, I would like to submit Sault - 5

Fat4all

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
bork land
jeez, The Notwist, takes me back

When Shrink came out I was fully into video games (not like that's changed much), and I always imagined it as being very video game-like. Like I could picture many different parts of any given track showing up in whatever I was playing in the late 90's-early aughts. There's a lot of ambiance present on the album, waves and flowing electric synths. Shrink also starts sprinkling in some jazz touches here and there (which I absolutely love), so I've always found this album to be good to have on whenever. I think it's one of those albums I liked throwing on whenever I was driving around.

Chemicals mix of 'interference' and crusty samples are set against the smooth lyrics as a stark contrast, making you sort of feel the rough edges even more, evoking chemicals in more ways that one you can almost feel them, and it can be taken in a few ways as well when looking at the lyrics. Chemical reaction, chemical dependence, what have you. Moron gives you that jazz bar vibe immediately, but on the periphery you get the touches of interference, what seems like a flat out Jazz groove has something around it you can just barely make out. Sharp pitches and light touches. Even though it's such a mellow track, it give you a slight uneasy feeling. But once you get to Shrink, there's a clash of sorts. You get a jazzy sample leading into a darker sort of tone, bleeding in the electric and heavy percussion tones. The lyrics are light as always, but here they are a bit more cutting in meaning. A light and soft telling of a life being shifted and torn, you can see it happening but there isn't anything stopping it. You can hear jazz instrutments here and there, but greatly distorted and altered. It's a very sinking song, both on the heart and on the mind. Your Signs finally mixes all the elements that had previously been separated or altered before. You get the full jazz backing, the bass guitar, the low punk-like lyrics, the full build I feel for the album. Almost like going from the darkest place to the lightest place in terms of theming.

Around the time I was listening to The Notwist I was also listening to a lot of music from The Pillows and The Seatbelts, and this fit just just perfectly along side.

My highlights: Day 7, Chemicals, Moron, Your Signs

My score: 8/10 - an easy listen with some really solid and moody tracks.

Last edited:

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
The Notwist-Shrink

Took a longer time to do this one, and got double digit listens, and while I come to praise I feel more like it will come off as a burial. This is late 80’s early 90’s teenager the album. Take PHM nin, a little God loves underwater, lot of early Brit-pop some Blur, Jesus&Mary chain and then add a dash of primitive radio gods and this is what you get. But it’s not nostalgia the album, and that’s where I get lost, it’s earnest and real, and though I have heard all the pieces the whole even at 42 amazes me.

Day 7 is definitley my fave, and while it sucks to have the first tune be your favorite there isn’t enough of a drop so I consider it what hooked me in.

Great choice and I will listen to again and will eventually explore the entire discography, great week.

Fantomas

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I had never heard of The Notwist before, but I'm definitely down to hear some more from them after listening to Shrink a few times. It's a really chill album, everything seemed to flow together pretty nicely, really liked the mix of electronic with more jazzy instruments thrown in every now and then as well. The main standout track for me was Your Signs, but I honestly enjoyed the whole album and definitely see myself coming back to it. I also think it had some good rainy-day vibes which fits with the weather here today, so that might have added to my enjoyment a bit perhaps haha.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Servbot24 Just wanted to say that I'm still interested in seeing this thread going. If you are okay with it, I would be down to making the next random pick and post.

Week 4: La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One by White Zombie New

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
As Servbot24 gave the OK, here is the next album for our club to listen to and write about:

La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One by White Zombie
(submitted by Matthew77)

Please have a listen to the album and post your thoughts! Remember to be respectful even if you don't enjoy it.

Everyone who gives this at least one full listen and adds their thoughts to the thread will qualify to submit for next week. If you would like to submit for next week, feel free to post your submission at any time in large text.

Standing submissions below. If you are on this list, you still need to participate in a review week in order for your submission to qualify next week. If you post a new suggestion, I will update it for you on the standing list:

ElectricBlanketFire : American Football - LP3
Komo : Mac Miller - Swimming
Brass Body Dave : City Morgue - Hell or High Water
Ledbetter : Som - Anak Ko
Fantomas : Wolf Alice - My Love is Cool
PassiveObserver : Swings - Detergent Hymns
Kyuuji : Maribou State - Portraits
denx : Luomo - Vocalcity
ShadowAUS : Ocean Alley - Chiaroscuro
Matthew77 : White Zombie - La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Pt 1
Servbot24 : Milton Nascimento - Clube da Esquina 1
Wired All Wrong : The Loving Paupers - Lines
Fat4all : Jonathan Coulton - Solid State
LaneDS : Future Islands - Evening Air
Sabot : The Notwist - Shrink
Oliver James : Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast
EchoSmoker : Caravan Palace - Miracle
kitchenmotors : EDEN - vertigo
BOTW is a 7/10 : Silverstein - This Is How the Wind Shifts
The Doomed One : Mike Patton - Corpse Flower
HiLife : SAINt JHN - Ghetto Lenny's Love Songs
Kumikomical: Nouon - KUU
plngsplsh : Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
LazyLain : Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Mi goreng : Rezzet - Rezzet
pokeystaples : The Highwomen - The Highwomen
Cipher Peon : My Chemical Romance - Danger Days
Jarate : Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
bye : Julia Holter - Aviary

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Cool to be picked (my favorite album of all time, will post about it later) thanks plngsplsh for picking up the thread, love it so much but didn’t want to get on Servbot24 ass because it’s really not their fault it got away from them.

Cool Beans...

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
This album reminds me of riding around in my friend's older brother's Jeep at night. When everything felt exciting and dangerous. And driving 90mph on the highway with a 16-year-old at the wheel was perfectly reasonable.
Your not wrong. I cannot drive anymore and when I have good thoughts of when I could this album is usually involved. Doesn’t hurt that both Thunderkiss and Black Sunshine are Vehicle/Driving themed.