• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

ResetEra Album of the Week Club

Fantomas

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow lol. I've listened to this album literally hundreds of times, but I suppose I can give it another listen and put some thoughts down later today.

For now though, my favorite tracks are Money and Us and Them, classics.

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Could do a 5 page write up right now but I’ll want to listen again to see if my feelings have changed ( I love Floyd but DSOTM has always sat at the bottom of the Waters bunch, I think I may even slightly prefer the final cut) I will probably do that tonight.

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
Pink Floyd and Tool trade places for my favorite band of all time. I’ve listened to this album for sure hundreds of times. I’m actually looking forward to it and hitting my thoughts down in real time. By the way, my favorite album of theirs is “The Final Cut.” I don’t cry, but there’s a song that nearly brings me to tears every time. Looking forward to impressions from some who’ve really never heard this one before. A lot of people hate Pink Floyd.

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Pink Floyd and Tool trade places for my favorite band of all time. I’ve listened to this album for sure hundreds of times. I’m actually looking forward to it and hitting my thoughts down in real time. By the way, my favorite album of theirs is “The Final Cut.” I don’t cry, but there’s a song that nearly brings me to tears every time. Looking forward to impressions from some who’ve really never heard this one before. A lot of people hate Pink Floyd.
Final Cut is such a misunderstood overlooked album, along with Amused to Death it’s some of my favorite work specifically of Rogers.

Kumikomical

Oct 30, 2017
Embarrassed to admit it but I've not yet sat through the whole album in one go... Guess this is a good excuse to finally do that

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Embarrassed to admit it but I've not yet sat through the whole album in one go... Guess this is a good excuse to finally do that
You should. When I say it’s one of my least favorites of that era it’s like saying it’s the 9.7 of a run of mostly 10’s. Granted I am a Floyd fan from Syd Barret and Piper at the gates of dawn all the way up to the division bell but the albums from dark side to final cut is one of the greatest runs of music ever, if you end up digging this one as a complete experience I really recommend checking out the ones that come after it, I feel they just keep improving.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never listened to this album, and all the prog I know I learned from the Mars Volta. Going to give these a few listens after I come down from the Jpegmafia hype.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard a lot from this album, but it was a long time ago and I haven't given Pink Floyd that much attention personally. It was mostly radio stuff and listening to it while some of my friends were playing it. This will be interesting to listen to it all the way through.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
That's cool. I'm looking forward to giving this album a proper listen later this weekend and also to reading about what y'all have to say about it.

denx

Oct 27, 2017
I find it kind of difficult to say something about an album that I grew up listening and now feels like a part of me, so I won't get too deep. Just gonna say this album has immaculate production, flows extremely well, and like a lot of Floyd's music before Waters completely took over, it has a laid-back feel to it even when they're tackling some dark subject matter. If you're looking for some flashy performances and super long multi-part songs, this probably won't be the album for you (even tho it's most definitely prog rock). Time, The Great Gig In the Sky, Money, Us v Them and Brain Damage are stone-cold classics.

This isn't my favorite Floyd album btw. I'd put The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Wish You Were Here above it.

Want to change my album submission since I realize Exai would be too much for most people, but I'm blanking on what album to suggest lol.

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
I find it kind of difficult to say something about an album that I grew up listening and now feels like a part of me, so I won't get too deep. Just gonna say this album has immaculate production, flows extremely well, and like a lot of Floyd's music before Waters completely took over, it has a laid-back feel to it even when they're tackling some dark subject matter. If you're looking for some flashy performances and super long multi-part songs, this probably won't be the album for you (even tho it's most definitely prog rock). Time, The Great Gig In the Sky, Money, Us v Them and Brain Damage are stone-cold classics.

This isn't my favorite Floyd album btw. I'd put The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Wish You Were Here above it.

Want to change my album submission since I realize Exai would be too much for most people, but I'm blanking on what album to suggest lol.
I would say it’s probably not the favorite of a lot of Floyd fans, I don’t want to degrade it with what I am about to say because it is a classic and I wouldn’t begrudge any fan who legitimately likes it best, but I think it’s reputation precedes it making a lot of people that are not as familiar with the band choosing it because it is “the” known classic if that makes any sense?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Not my first time listening to Dark Side of the Moon, but I'm always happy to give it another spin.

Great album, basically perfect. The instrumental tracks help the album flow like butter, and Breathe, Time, Money, Us and Them, and Great Gig in the Sky are phenomenal. Dunno if I'd call it Pink Floyd's best album, but only because I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to rank their best albums. It's certainly up there though.

Nov 28, 2017
Floyd was just a bit before my era, as I was growing up listening to heavier stuff older kids were a lot into Floyd, Purple and Zeppelin, so social etiquette of the time required to stay away from those :))
I did learn to appreciate them later on, but never really became a fan.
This album has those iconic songs such as "Money" and "Time" and I like it because of them.
It was a fun listen, I rarely get to revisit it.

As for my pick, I would like to change it into something really weird so that if it gets picked it might spark a discussion, and I expect as many people hating it as loving it.

Mike Patton - Corpse Flower

Fantomas

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
As some others have said, it's kind of tough to give new thoughts on an album I've listened to many times already.

I still love Dark Side, in its entirety it is a very nicely flowing album with a lot of common themes that reoccur throughout it. Money and Us and Them are still my favorite tracks overall, and are still pretty relevant today. I would put it in my top 5 favorite Floyd albums for sure, but maybe not the top 3. I'm excited to see what others have to say about it though, especially those who have never listened to it before.

Servbot24 I'll be changing my album submission for next week to: Wolf Alice - My Love Is Cool

Jarate

Oct 25, 2017
Servbot24 my man, you should told me about this

Dark Side of the Moon is the reason I got into rock music like I did, have probably listened to it over 100 times. Im gonna go smoke weed and give it a listen again.

Jarate

Oct 25, 2017
Im halfway through, Time, The Great Gig in the Sky, and Money all in a row is something to behold. Might be my favorite 3 song snippet in rock history. All 3 songs really show Pink Floyd's ability to make great solos not using guitar, while also throwing out two of my favorite guitar solos as well. It also shows Pink Floyd's ability to make music out of non-standard instruments.

Jarate

Oct 25, 2017
Still really like Dark Side of the moon. The musical layering is so impressive, the production is top notch, solos are all great. I forgot how awesome Great Gig in the Sky is

Blue for Sale

Sep 7, 2018
The only Pink Floyd album I listened is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, which is one of the best psychedelic rock albums I´ve heard.
I usually go through an artist discography in order, but I really want to participate in this. The only song I'm familiar from the album is Money.

I´m also aware of the legendary status of the album, let's see if it plays in its favor or not.

Jarate

Oct 25, 2017
Jarate suggests Servbot24

Another Art Rock Classic!

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band.

Last edited:

denx

Oct 27, 2017
Trout Mask Replica... oh boy

Servbot24 So I decided what album I'm suggesting for next week: Luomo - Vocalcity

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Going to join in on this!

What can I say about Dark Side of the Moon that hasn't already been said. I love it, it has the best flow front to back of any album I have ever heard, and Time has some of the most heart-breakingly _real_ lyrics I have ever heard.

I'll just share an anecdote of a time in college a friend and I were really stoned and put this on and we got to us and them and both of us were convinced we had never heard the track before and we're just blown away. Lol. Good times. Lots of memories like that with this album.

If I want to make a suggestion of my own I just post it here and tag OP right?

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
My thoughts / notes / sketches so far in regards to Dark Side of the Moon:

General:
So, it's a guided / shared meditation on death. At least that's how I'm going to interpret it. They give you some instructions ("Speak to Me", "Breath (in the Air)"), but they are not forcing them on you: "Look around choose your own ground", but still "Leave but don't leave me". That's quite nice, I think and accept the invitation.
Speak to Me:
It's nice how it starts with anticipation (a beating heart), then adds the infuriating madness of the noise of cash registers, and finally ends with a scream that's so desperate that the band just can't help but to weigh in.
Breathe (in the Air):
Both the title and the instrumentation calm you down. (Was I the one screaming? (Not right now, but I think everyone knows that feeling or will get to know it.)) Calming as it may seem, the song won't numb and pamper you. It doesn't take long to hint at you materialistic resignation: "And all you touch and all you see / Is all your life will ever be", sisyphean toil: "And when at last the work is done / Don't sit down it's time to dig another one", and finally death: "You race towards an early grave". This way this first song (I wouldn't call Speak to Me a song) eases you in to the main themes of the album: the running of time and dealing with death. The last line finally sends us...
On the Run:
They now leave us some time to ponder. Let's not say that the listerner is upset by the thoughts of the previous songs, but the I of the album is. Hasty and great synthesizer work. I need to read up on the VCS3.
Time:
Unbeknownst to the listener, they are already in the domain of the next song. If they got too comfy or stoned, they are about to be shaken by the ringing and beating of numerous clocks. Time as a song is quite a banger. Time is running / "ticking away". "Evey year is getting shorter", that's bad, man, as all the "plans [...] either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines". How should one deal with it? "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way". The album disagrees with this way. Don't keep quiet, speak about it. I think it's here that the guitars reuse chord transitions from the calming Breathe (in the Air). Very fitting, yes. Also the change from the second person to the first. It's not just about the listener, we are all in this together, man - even the singer of the song.
Remarkable is also the last verse. When I read the text, it seemed too much like an edgy adolescent offering their view on the church. But the way it's sung adds some nuance. It's almost as if there is some longing in the singer to be also able to be faithful and find consolation in "the soflty spoken magic spell". It's also interesting that this verse comes as a kind of afterthougth. It seems like something that the singer is reluctant to sing about, as for them the song seems to already be over with the previous verse: "The time is gone the song is over thought I'd something more to say".
Great Gig in the Sky:
The samples emphasize the theme: "Why should I be afraid of dying?" It returns the desperate scream from the intro, but this time its force has been altered, it's beautiful now and bearable, it is sung not screamed. Take something bad and make it better (better better).
Money:
Quite cartoonish. Need to give this another listen. It kinda took me out of it. Though, I see the cash registers reenter - they now get their proper thematic treatment.
Us and them:
Again a song where only reading the lyrics made me expect something different (maybe something more in the caroonish vein of Money). It hints at war - some industrialized form of death. Need to give this another listen.
Any Colour You Like:
Need to listen to this again.
Brain Damage:
Yeah yeah, sure sure. Let me get on to the final song.
Eclipse:
It wraps up the journey with some (I think hopeful) vanitas: Everythings you did and experienced is going to be the same, no matter what it was. But it's not just the same, "everything under the sun is in tune". There's something to that musical metaphor that I can't express yet, but which seems important in regards to the tone of the rest. Also the phrase "everything under the sun" - reminiscent of Ecclesiastes (also the whole theme and the way of dealing with it - "the dead are better off than the living"). Remember when the singer of the previous song reassured us twice that "I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"? The dark side of the moon, that's the end of it - death itself, right? But it's also the beginning of something - they said that they will see us there. Finally there is both hopefulness and resignation: "And everything under the sun is in tune / But the sun is eclipsed by the moon". Couldn't that 'but' also be a 'because'?
I've still got something to say, but I need breakfast now. Just one last thing: They really know their stereophonics.

Last edited:

Jarate

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Side is one of the few rock albums were the lyrical content is very important, but it shouldn’t generally be the thing you’re looking at before hand in rock music (No to be judgey of you plngsplsh , I think you’re analysis of the music is very good) just giving some word of advice for others when we listen to albums without consistent themes and without Floyd’s ability to be lyrical in rock.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright. Here's mine:

Eden - vertigo

I haven't heard of this act before so I didn't know what to expect. Starts off with an acapela, the guy can sing. At this point, one can be fooled into thinking this will be just another pop record.

But then those bleeps come in: they provide the background to what is your typical pop fair. At this point, it reveals itself: R&B.

Some questionable flourishes on the second track, "take care", the sudden bursts of shouts are tacky. They don't detract enough to the song.

My favorite track probably is "wings". Pretty straightforward. The track before that tried all sorts of stuff that in the end none of it stuck, the song became forgettable.

Sadly I'm not into R&B that much, I don't want to mope around. I'd rather listen to Gayngs, honestly, I mean listen to this song:

I'd give eden a 3/5

Bottom line: very good production, great vocals, almost faultless but when there are tons of people who do what you do, you need to find a way to distinguish yourself. He does so in a few tracks and I think he can get there in his next record.

Fat4all

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
bork land
pink floyd - the dark side of the moon

It can be difficult separating what is essentially a cultural icon from it's own context within it's genre, and I'm honestly not a keen enough observer and writer to be able to do so, so forgive me if I get a bit ethereal or a bit rambling while talking about the album.

The Dark Side of the Moon is a classic in many ways, but how I've always perceived it is a classic of tone and production. What seems like a loose, flowing album is also engineered in a highly detailed fashion. When someone thinks of a 'concept album', this may very well be the first one that pops into most peoples heads. It focuses it's efforts on making they listener away of themselves in very intimate ways, it's hard not to hear the beating hearts of the album and not picture your own. It's an album that give you a highly aware feeling. It's not uncommon to hear of people mixing drugs or alcohol with this album, and for good reason. The music already acts as a prob of sorts to the mind and to the self, what you are in your life, what you are doing, your financial situation even, that drugs only seem to amplify the emotions drawn from that self reflection. As I said before, the production and the mastering on this album is absolutely top notch, it has a coherence that just can't be mistaken. Just like with a group like Steely Dan or The Beatles or The Beach Boys, the music is engineered stands on it's own level, sometimes inventing their own techniques to achieve their goal, their sound, or their tone. It's hard to listen to Any Color You Like as it blends into Brain Damage and not get a touch chocked up. Sometimes older albums act as doors to memories, or even just the emotions from memories you can't quite recall. Maybe that's just nostalgia, but it's still there and very real.

My highlights: Time, Money, Any Color You Like, Brain Damage

My score: 9/10. It's honestly not an album I replay all that often, but I'm always glad to go back to it.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to Dark Side of the Moon, the first time in many years.

Some collected thoughts I jotted down as I listened to it:

I was weirdly reminded of the start of a Stone Temple Pilots album during the intro of this album... Tiny Music, I think? I'm sure that is sacrilegious, but hey, sharing my thoughts!

Album feels like a real journey even early on- each transition has a distinct vibe, with some what I assume is early psychedelia laid heavy throughout.

Time's intro, real cool and when the song properly kicks in, also great. First moment of the album that I remembered hearing in the past, and also the first song I said "I should save this to my Spotify library". Felt very "proggy" and I have no idea if I'm using that term correctly.

I thought about the journeys folks must have taken while listening to this album as "The Great Gig in the Sky" started. The album itself is very intent on going all sorts of places, all of them well-earned half way through the listen, so that seems appropriate.

Didn't love "Money" although I appreciated how clear the vocals were here (and throughout thus far). Guitar solo was fun, and the bass kept a funky vibe going, so another strong song even if it wasn't my favorite.

Us and Them- had to pause it once to make sure something else wasn't playing in the background (it wasn't!). Neat song, calmed me down.

Again, feels very proggy but also comes in at a brief 42 minutes, so it doesn't ever meander long on any one motif before moving in which I appreciate.

Brain Damage/Eclipse felt like one collective song and felt like a suitable closer.

I enjoyed the album. It's not the genre of music I gravitate towards, but I made it through the whole thing and found bits that I liked and really nothing that I felt strongly negative about.

Probably 7/10 for me- solid throughout, but just not my thing.

I don't know if we suggest something different, but I'll toss out HEALTH- Death Magic as a potential recommendation.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
It took me a long time to like Pink Floyd. When I was young, I only ever heard "Money" at hockey games, and thought it was a gimmick song by a 70s band with a silly name. And years later, I only knew them through "classic rock" radio stations, but since they didn't sound like other "classic rock" bands I didn't like it. I couldn't get on board with how dry and dark it felt, and didn't like the chorused vocals or the crisp production.

But now I think this album is pristine. A few years ago I put on "Time" and then the rest of the album after listening to a bunch of Radiohead, and realized that I had been unfairly putting them in an entirely wrong container. The space of the album is excellent. I love the footsteps at the end of "On the Run" and the ways the songs transition across the album. I'm always ready for some saxophone, and the solo on "Us and Them" is really nice. ~3:50 on "Money" tickles.

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
Speak to Me
The Beatles made me realize I love sampling of sounds/speech in songs, but Pink Floyd cemented it for me.

Breathe
This song reminds me of The Wizard of Oz just because I spent too much time trying to sync up a VHS tape of the movie and this album in college, so now I just think of Black and White film Dorothy going around the farm during this song. YouTube now just lets you watch this.
Love the bass work in this song

On the Run
I liken this section to the rowing portion of the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movie. Gives me the same vibe.
Reminds me that I should try to look up how they made these electronic sounds back in the early 70s.
Thank the maker for stereo sound

Time
Probably my favorite song on this album.
When I was in college, I was thinking about how they did the "ticking" sound that starts early in the song. I was able to make a similar sound by muting the strings on a guitar. Not sure if that's how they did it or not.
Love the drums. The production on them makes them sound like they are in a dream.
"You run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking and racing around to come up behind you again"...still gives me chills and makes me think about mortality
Another thing I love about this album is the female backup vocalists.

The Great Gig in the Sky
Transition from the previous song to this piano is ace.
The guy's speech on dying always makes me wonder how he felt about it in his moment of death (if he has died)
The female vocalist amazes me. She sounds both beautiful and frightening at the same time. Like she's singing so hard that she's dying. And then she settles down. It's all very haunting.

Money
This has always been my least favorite of the popular Pink Floyd songs, though I do love the cash register sounds and how they form the beat for the song.
Bass line rocks as well.
Dat sax!

Us and Them
Love this intro sax solo.
The echoes in the verses are so awesome

Any Colour You Like
The blending and weaving of all the different instruments in this song is amazing
Love the back and forth guitar at the end of this song spread across left and right channels
And now we simmer back down to go into....

Brain Damage
"The paper holds their folded faces to the floor and every day the paperboy brings more" - I was at a Roger Waters concert recently and people were getting mad saying they didn't know why Roger Waters had to be so political. I feel like they weren't paying attention.
More female back-up vocals! The lady at the end here just kills it.
All the laughing really helps this song.

Eclipse
And now the end. I've always loved the way this album ends.

Kyuuji

Nov 8, 2017
Some nice write ups here, will be carving out some time tonight to sit and go back through this again.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Some further thoughts on Dark Side of the Moon:

The composition:
I only later realised that the album is either composed as a loop or as a progression from birth to life and finally death. It starts with a beating heart and it stops with a beating heart. Obviously this fits the theme of death. Now, I tend think that it's actually supposed to be a loop of birth, life and death. What makes me think so is the design of the album cover in conjunction with the thoughts of unification found in Eclipse.
The cover:
How can we forget the cover - it's one of the most iconic album covers, and rightly so, as it complements the themes of the album in a very pleasing way. Not only is the album itself a loop, but the cover is also one. To support my case, I present to you a meticulously crafted gif animation of said loop.

As you can see, the light is split up by the prism on the front cover, travels through the album (is the album), gets unified by the inverted prism of the backcover only to be lead back to the prism on the front. The journey of the light is analogous to the journey of the album - I kinda like to think that it starts where the light hits the prism. That's quite ingenious. [Insert tirade about the prism showing both the multiplicity of unity as well as the unity of multiplicity. Cf. Eclipse: "everything under the sun is in tune" etc. It seems to be a hint at another way of looking at life and death - a theory that makes the prospect of dying bearable.]

Blue for Sale

Sep 7, 2018
I can see now why this album is placed so highly in everyone´s opinion, the production and the musicianship are top-notch, everything falls into place, from the seamless transitions to the overall theme, the heartbeats at the start and at the end. Is an objectively great album, but is not an album I would play repeatedly.

The first half does nothing for me. I sat there thinking this is okay, not really feeling blown away as I thought many would feel. The second half left me impressed, but it certainly built up from the first half, it needed the vibe and themes set up before to really shine. In a way is like the cover, the white light and then the rainbow, at least for me.

Speak to Me
I´m not big on sound collages. I thought the cash register sound was a little snippet from Money, so I looked it up and apparently is has sounds from every song on the album, a little taste of what's to come. It reminded me of what Brian Wilson was trying to do with Smile, if I´m not wrong, of certain sounds or musical passages that are repeated through the album.

Breathe (in the air)
From what I gather is about the start of life and I dig the slide guitar, but it doesn't do much for me.

On the Run
The synth gives it a great sense of urgency. To me, it also feels anachronistic, like it comes from the 80s onward, and not 1973.

Time
This one I like more, although I feel the drums at the start went for a little too long. As if there was time to waste.

The Great Gig in the Sky
This one I disliked. I don't know why, it just bored me.

Money
I heard this one before and works best in the context of the album. I like everything about it, the cash register, the sax solo, and the bass line.

Us and Them
A great critique of war and another excellent sax solo. Great song overall.

Any Colour You Like
It feels like it showed me every color of the rainbow.

Brain Damage
I'm pretty sure they reference Syd Barret with the line "And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes". I think the lunatic and moon theme is easier to get since moon is "Luna" in spanish.
and I'm chilean.

Eclipse
Just sums up life. The perfect song to end the album

I think I prefer Piper at the Gates of Dawn over The Dark Dide of the Moon. Great album nonetheless

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
So after three more listens I still feel this is the least album in the “waters run” though it’s also the album that kicked it off so if it wasn’t for the albums rep I would say it’s almost expected.

I think my biggest issue here is sequencing. There is not a bad song on here, even those that are just basically ambient noise. While they can be forgiven being one of the bands that kicked off prog and the concept album I think you can see some fumbling. Usually the ambient/noise/filler tracks are used by these types of bands (including Floyd to great effect on later albums) as connective tissue, whereas here they are all lumped together and instead of being great interstitial moments between the meat is sounds more like a 5 to 10 minute intro collage of the albums concepts, and I tend to think if this came a couple albums later while it would still all be there it would probably be sequenced differently to far greater effect.

I don’t have much to say about the songs really, they are all great but are all also staples of rock radio that in some ways makes it harder to listen to as a coherent album. The standouts for me are Time which has always been my favorite from this album and with time (heh), perspective, and age is even more revelant now than listening to it stoned in my late teens early twenties, and Brain Damage which while probably the least mature work here is also one of the few songs in my life (along with a couple from Alice Cooper’s Welcome to My Nightmare) that really feel like it’s caught a bit of legitimate mental unwellness on recording.

At the end of the day a classic that deserves the tag, not a bad moment really, and the perfect intro to the band. If you hate it maybe that’s a sign because it’s definitely the most accessible and radio friendly of that period of albums, maybe of their whole career. And if you at least like it never mind love it it’s a good indication to start exploring more of their work, at least the period where Roger Waters is the main driving force of Pink Floyd’s direction.

All in all 4.5 out of 5 skulls for me, the half off being for the fact that the beginning suite of tracks would have suited the album better dispersed through the meatier tracks making a more coherent whole and maybe would have propped it up to be deserving of the greatest Floyd album status some like to give it.

Great pick cannot wait for next week.

Servbot24 dont know if you saw or if I tagged you right the first time because my pick wasn’t switched at the beginning of the week (at least when I looked it could have been changed) but I would still like to change my pick to White Zombie-La Sexorcisto:Devil Music vol.1.

Oct 25, 2017
I've listened to this album many times over the years, but it's been while since I last did it. It was really nice to listen to this whole album again and I definitely appreciate it more than I did back in the day when my friends would play to it. It's such a fantastic musical journey. I even really liked the more atmospheric, spacey parts of the songs which is something that usually isn't really always my cup of tea. Just an excellent feeling and flow to the entire album. I really need to listen to these songs at home instead of work so I can give thoughts on each song instead of the crappy thoughts I've been providing. I think I might just be terrible at reviewing things.

I would have to say Money is my favorite of the song if only because when I started playing bass in high school I heard that awesome bass line and it became one of the first songs I ever learned. At least the main riff. So that song will always have a special place for me.

Kyuuji

Nov 8, 2017
An album that really is an experience. I admit it's been awhile since I played it through so running through it again was a really warm feeling. Brilliant experimentation and versatility across the record and even in the dips it sustains you, just wanting to see where it leads next.

Money is still the track that speaks to me the most with Us and Them coming in a close second. The former is perfect for when I'm low as I find it impossible to wallow when it's on. The sax parts are just perfect and the jaunty nature of it like a snake slithering on.

It's an album that's not often in my main rotation but I can't help but revisit because of the sheer brilliance of it. It's an enthralling ride that deserves a quiet room and a great pair of headphones to soak in.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
great thread idea, i'd love to join in on the fun

i'm not in the most ideal listening position right now but i've given EDEN a spin and... yeah first up, not my thing. don't wanna be too negative but first reaction is i'd say it sounds like something a 'normie' friend would listen to with its whiney vocals and pop hooks -- though the Sophie avatar hasn't thrown me for a spin, i can also see that if you like her music you could like this. i find it difficult to assess something like this i spose, it's just not really to my taste. i do love electronic music, especially the more adventurous stuff (someone linked the new Blanck Mass up there, tis good) but yeah, this one feels like nails on a chalkboard to me, sozzles.

my nom for next week is

Rezzett - Rezzett (Trilogy Tapes) - my AOTY from last year

I really liked this one. Do you have any other recommendations? Preferably em but doesn't necessarily have to be in the same style.

bye

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
submitting Julia Holter - Aviary. A challenging listen that deserves some more attention, but is full of surprises and deeply moving experiences.

edit: just saw previous review requirement, will edit this post with an Eden review later on.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne

Kyuuji

Nov 8, 2017
submitting Julia Holter - Aviary. A challenging listen that deserves some more attention, but is full of surprises and deeply moving experiences.

edit: just saw previous review requirement, will edit this post with an Eden review later on.
Just a heads up that this week is currently Dark Side of the Moon:

Not sure it matters for entry into the next week, just in case you didn't realise and preferred to do one or the other.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a bolded "check the threadmarks for the current week" type of edit in the OP would help folks getting caught up?

Ledbetter

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to my dad I've been listening to Pink Floyd since I was a kid, even though he always listened to songs from the era I consider Pink Floyd was at the peak of mainstream culture, which is from The Dark Side of the Moon through The Wall. Probably gave those albums a few listens on their entirety in my youth and thought they were good, but that was it. Outside the popular songs, I have never gone through the band's work that deep.

Before listening again to The Dark Side of the Moon, the only song I'd remember was Money, which I was aware is one of the most loved/hated songs of the albums (I'm part of the 'love it' camp, that sax.) For being one of the most celebrated albums of all time, it really deserves it. Probably my only complain with it is the beginning, musically it doesn't do that much for me although after reading the lyrics of the first pair of songs it makes sense that they establish the concept of the album, which I think still holds up very well today. Still, I'm glad that they're short.

But when Time hits, it takes the album to another level. Time > The Great Gig in the Sky > Money > Us and Them, I mean what a great run of songs, I've been coming back to listen to that sequence a lot. If anything, I appreciate the pacing of this album, it makes sure to hit the peak in the middle so hard, and with Us and Them and onward, it mellows out until is finished, leaving you like what the fuck did I just experience.

I want to listen to one of the band's previous work, probably start with Atom Heart Mother, which is one of the albums I often see mentioned when Pink Floyd is brought up.

Thanks for the recommendation from plngsplsh, I've enjoyed your notes from the album's conceptual standpoint. I'll change my recommendation for this week to Jay Som - Anak Ko Servbot24

OP
OP
Servbot24

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be posting the next album of the week tomorrow. Apologies for the delay - these "weeks" may end up being a bit loosely defined.

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Thanks to my dad I've been listening to Pink Floyd since I was a kid, even though he always listened to songs from the era I consider Pink Floyd was at the peak of mainstream culture, which is from The Dark Side of the Moon through The Wall. Probably gave those albums a few listens on their entirety in my youth and thought they were good, but that was it. Outside the popular songs, I have never gone through the band's work that deep.

Before listening again to The Dark Side of the Moon, the only song I'd remember was Money, which I was aware is one of the most loved/hated songs of the albums (I'm part of the 'love it' camp, that sax.) For being one of the most celebrated albums of all time, it really deserves it. Probably my only complain with it is the beginning, musically it doesn't do that much for me although after reading the lyrics of the first pair of songs it makes sense that they establish the concept of the album, which I think still holds up very well today. Still, I'm glad that they're short.

But when Time hits, it takes the album to another level. Time > The Great Gig in the Sky > Money > Us and Them, I mean what a great run of songs, I've been coming back to listen to that sequence a lot. If anything, I appreciate the pacing of this album, it makes sure to hit the peak in the middle so hard, and with Us and Them and onward, it mellows out until is finished, leaving you like what the fuck did I just experience.

I want to listen to one of the band's previous work, probably start with Atom Heart Mother, which is one of the albums I often see mentioned when Pink Floyd is brought up.

Thanks for the recommendation from plngsplsh, I've enjoyed your notes from the album's conceptual standpoint. I'll change my recommendation for this week to Jay Som - Anak Ko Servbot24
Listen to Piper at the gates of Dawn, and while I don’t have a use for most of Saucer full of secrets it’s worth listening to Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. Then if you want to go to AHM go for it, not a huge fan myself, definitley would recommend Obscured by Clouds though. Often overlooked but it along with piper is probably my favorite of pre-big time Floyd that started with Dark Side of the Moon. Just a though from a fan.