• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

ResetEra Album of the Week Club

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hello! I am not sure if this will garner any interest, but I wanted to throw it out there since I think it'd be cool to bring Era's music lovers together a bit more. It would be great if a wide variety of genres were represented and people felt motivated to try out something completely outside their norm.

Here's how it would work:

- Every week, an album will be posted which participants will listen to, review, have general thoughts on, and/or discuss.
- Every participant can submit an album, and I will chose one via a randomizer to be next week's album of the week.

To have your album included in the draw for week 1, post by September 4, 5PM Central Time

- The album must be accessible. Nothing where the only way to listen to it is to purchase a physical copy.
- A participant must have reviewed a previous album of the week in order to submit (except for Week 1 of course). If you are late to this you don't have to backtrack through every week, just review one of the albums posted so far and then you are good to submit.
- Reviews could range from quick impressions to discussion participation to full on album reviews. The only requirement is to be thoughtful and try not to be overly dismissive or mocking.

That's basically it! This isn't meant to be super structured with rigid posting requirements or anything like that - just a fun activity to have a chance to try out new music and interact with different music fan groups. Don't be disappointed if your album isn't chosen - the fun is to try new things :)

I would probably separate each week with a Threadmark for now, unless some other method turns out to work better.

If you are interested, please post below with your album submission!

Last edited:

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I really like this idea. This year, I really fell off with my music listening. I'll update this post when I think of an album.

Komo

Jan 3, 2019
I'd like to just put in Swimming by Mac Miller.

It's an absolutely gold tier album and I want more people to listen to it.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I'm terrible at discovering new music so I'm down for this, especially if the choices are fairly diverse.

Don't have anything to suggest right now though.

EDIT: Were you anticipating it being mostly new releases, or just whatever people want to suggest?

Ledbetter

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good idea.

I'll try to submit latest releases, so for this week I choose Whitney - Forever Turned Around

American Football - LP3

The entire album is available via the usual digital outlets as well as YouTube (playlist below):

I loved this album, the collaborations (especially the one with Hayley Williams) are a great addition to the songs.

Fantomas

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely a great idea!

Just off the top of my head, I would submit: Eisley - I'm Only Dreaming

Oct 27, 2017
Love the idea of a book club with less commitment.

This band is criminally under-listened: Swings - Detergent Hymns

For fans of slowcore, indie rock with a jazzy bent and ight drumwork, hints of post-rock,t and for anyone who appreciates the minimalist grooves that can be conjured up by a power trio. It's hard for me to come up with RIYL with this band besides The Sea and Cake and mellow Slint, but this record was my favorite discovery of 2015.

Last edited:

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Thread watched. Sounds like a fun idea. I'm horrible at giving words to my impressions though so I might just watch.

OP
OP
Servbot24

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I see enough interest to give this a spin. So I will say submit your album by 5PM Central Time tomorrow. If you don't see this in time don't worry, you can submit every week for as long as this goes.

denx

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been up to date with music this year, so I'll throw a gem from a couple of years back.

It's a lot to chew on I know, but if you're gonna listen to any track from this album listen to bladelores.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
As someone who listens to several hundred new albums a year I love this idea! I'll throw this album into the ring, I don't know if I'll get around to reviewing them but if I have time I certainly will try.

EDIT: Decided to change my pick as I wasn't sure much Country/Folk music would get a nomination and I think having as many genres as possible in something like this might open some peoples eyes to genres they're not typically used to. So my new submission is currently my favourite country-folk album of the year -

Trigger Warning: The song "The Dress" is about sexual assault and the song "Run" deals with domestic violence.

Last edited:

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
I’m in and watched. As for submission this is going to be bland but since this is a new thread and it’s a notable new release just going to throw out TOOL-Fear Inoculum.

Which leads me to just ask quickly not just open to all genres but are we also looking to all time periods?

But yeah, I usually don’t get too involved in ongoing community type threads but for once here is one that is right up my alley, thank you Servbot24 for starting this and giving me something awesome to look forward too.

Oct 25, 2017
Good idea. Was thinking of making a thread for this album since it's my favorite one of the year, but if it actually gets picked, this thread might get more people to check it out. So here's my pick.

The Loving Paupers - Lines

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I'll put each submission in a randomizer to select one each week.

If a person submits an album one week it will be standing selection unless they submit a new one. That way you don't have to re-post the same album every week if you want to stick with it.
Just for posterity’s sake, can someone change their choice/post before the deadline finishes?

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Fun idea! Not sure I’ll be able to keep up each week with participation but will give it a shot.

What should folks do if they immediately bounce off something and don’t listen to an entire album (or even most of it)? Post impressions to that effect, or just pass for the week?

Anyway, my suggestion for this week is Future Islands- In Evening Air.

Sabot

Oct 31, 2017
I love this album, it gets overshadowed by Neon Golden but I prefer its jazzier sections. The Notwist is a very forgotten band now, and this is probably their most forgotten album (that and12 ), but it's also their best imo.

Also I love the music book club concept, I need more things to listen to at work that aren't podcasts about politics.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll put each submission in a randomizer to select one each week.

If a person submits an album one week it will be standing selection unless they submit a new one. That way you don't have to re-post the same album every week if you want to stick with it.
Ooh, nice, I'll try joining in then

Here's mine:

OP
OP
Servbot24

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping for anyone who may have missed this yesterday. Submit an album before the Nintendo Direct starts and you're good :)

Nov 28, 2017
I like the idea. I'll attempt to remember to follow up, but my plan is to post my favorite album released previous week.
Last week's favorite:
Warcrab - Damned in Endless Night

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My fav album from last week. Immediately shot into my top 3 for my hip hop list. Best way to describe it is night driving music / melodic flows over trap beats.

Week 1: EDEN - vertigo
OP
OP
Servbot24

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, week 1 results are in! Our first album of the week is...

EDEN - vertigo

submitted by kitchenmotors

Please have a listen to the album and post your thoughts! Remember to be respectful even if you don't enjoy it.

Everyone who gives this at least one full listen and adds their thoughts to the thread will qualify to submit for next week. If you would like to submit for next week, feel free to post your submission at any time in large text.

Standing submissions below. If you are on this list, you still need to participate in a review week in order for your submission to qualify next week. If you post a new suggestion, I will update it for you on the standing list:

ElectricBlanketFire : American Football - LP3
Komo : Mac Miller - Swimming
Brass Body Dave : City Morgue - Hell or High Water
Ledbetter : Whitney - Forever Turned Around
Fantomas : Eisley - I'm Only Dreaming
PassiveObserver : Swings - Detergent Hymns
Kyuuji : Maribou State - Portraits
denx : Autechre - Exai
ShadowAUS : Emily Scott Robinson - Traveling Marcies
Matthew77 : Tool - Fear Inoculum -
Servbot24 : Milton Nascimento - Clube da Esquina 1
Wired All Wrong : The Loving Paupers - Lines
Fat4all : Jonathan Coulton - Solid State
LaneDS : Future Islands - Evening Air
Sabot : The Notwist - Shrink
Oliver James : Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast
EchoSmoker : Caravan Palace - Miracle
BOTW is a 7/10 : Silverstein - This Is How the Wind Shifts
The Doomed One : Warcrab - Damned in Endless Night
HiLife : SAINt JHN - Ghetto Lenny's Love Songs

Last edited:

Fantomas

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I will listen tonight and post some thoughts when I get a chance.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. I'm excited for this. Please also buy the albums, the artists deserve it and you might even go to heaven.

Fat4all

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
bork land
Oh wow, that’s so awesome. Can’t wait for everyone to hear this album!
any chance you could give a little background on why you picked Eden? you dont have to get too detailed, but i usually listen to a new album twice in a row and then look up info on the artist but I'd rather hear a bit from you if you'd want to