Project Octopath Traveler survey results

Oct 25, 2017
The demo of Project Octopath Traveler is available to download on the Switch eShop since a few weeks. A survey was available for those who played it to give your thoughts about the game. While the survey is still open for one more week, Square Enix already published early results.

Which route did you play in the demo?

– Both: 63%
– Primrose only: 19%
– Olberic only: 18%

If you were to rate this game on a 5-star scale, how many stars would you give?

– 5 stars: 32%
– 4 stars: 53%
– 3 stars: 12%
– 2 stars: 2%
– 1 star: 1%

Some of the feedback that users wrote in the survey are as follows:

– Wish the movement speed could be faster
– Some parts of the map were hard to see
– Hope for a feature to skip events
– The menu is a bit inconvenient (maybe criticizing the UI quality)
– Could the text be a bit bigger?
– Make the battles more interesting

Finally, the post specifies that the development team will work harder to make the game even more enjoyable to everyone, including addressing the aforementioned feedback.

JustSurvive

Oct 27, 2017
I felt the movement speed was fine, especially since there was a run button. I would say my biggest visual complaint was that they can definitely tone down the vignette on screen as it is a bit much.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they're also fine tuning the post effects. They're kinda crazy in some areas. Movement is fine though, the toggle for walk/run is confusing at first, but not a deal breaker. "Make the combat more interesting"? How? It's already fun

LARGER TEXT PLEASE. That's the big one and I'm glad they acknowledged that.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
My biggest criticism is the art style. I just can't stand pixel art for fantasy.

But they probably aren't going to change that.

EDIT: I wouldn't be mentioning this if there weren't parts of the game that I really liked. I'm partway through olberic and I like the combat and the hammy voice clips.

Last edited:

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
“Make the battles more interesting” is an odd one. The battle system seems set (and is very good imo) so I don’t know how they can make this change.

RailWays

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Movement seemed fine. I'm sure they'll eventually add some extra vehicle for fast travel in the game anyway.
I do agree that the vignette at the edges of the screen make some maps really hard to see fully. Feels like I have tunnel vision at times.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm understanding "make the battles more interesting" as complaints about random enemies needing too many hits to die, which wasn't a problem to me as I just burned my points to beat them fast, but people were complaining about this.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
“Make the battles more interesting”

is quite a big critique.
How to ad something extra’s to the battle stystem? Something like limit breaks maybe...

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
“Make the battles more interesting”

is quite a big critique.
How to ad something extra’s to the battle stystem? Something like limit breaks maybe...
There's already a limit though, you can only use 4 BP at most in the demo. I can't see how they can change this unless they make it more like Bravely Default

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
This might be just me, but I'd appreciate if I can see enemy's remaining health during the battle, since the combat itself takes quite a while.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really like clues in a character's plot can help you to solve a puzzle on another character, this improve replayability.
Also like the battle system and the buddy/recuitment system with Primrose.

Didn't like random battle wich occurs too often.

Mr G

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I hope you can at least choose 2 or 3 classes per character, i think that was one of the best things in the previous games the ability to choose and mix classes.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the movement speed but I hope they do something to make the battles more interesting. I could see it wearing thin if it stayed like it was in the demo.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's already a limit though, you can only use 4 BP at most in the demo. I can't see how they can change this unless they make it more like Bravely Default
I mean something else. I mean attacks that you can perform after receiving so much damage like in Lufia 2 and FF7. It’s just a suggestion. But there are probably better ways to make the battles more interesting. “More interesting” is quite vague though.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I agree with the majority who would give it a 4 star rating. Good demo, but there a few things it could address to push it into the 5 star category. Most are nitpicks, but my biggest gripe was the text size. It bothered me the whole time. If they can address this I will definitely consider a purchase at release.

zroid

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
\o/

can't wait for this, enjoyed the demo thoroughly and if they implement a lot of these QoL type improvements, it's going to be a hell of a finished product

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Glad the UI problems were a general complaint. More Switch games need scalable UI options to adapt to both handheld and TV mode.

Redcrayon

Zoinks!
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I didn't mind the movement speed but I hope they do something to make the battles more interesting. I could see it wearing thin if it stayed like it was in the demo.
I liked the Brave points, switching weapons and the break system, but by the end of the demo I felt like I’d understood how to exploit everything there. If that was the purpose of the demo, great, if that’s the limit of the battle system (beyond multiple party members and larger enemy forces making it more interesting) then yes, I think it needs a little more too.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
Considering we're playing the open for the two characters and the respective areas, it's hard to say that the combat gets boring quickly since there is very little in the demo that can take advantage of having both Primrose and Olberic in the party.

Rybosome

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the Brave points, switching weapons and the break system, but by the end of the demo I felt like I’d understood how to exploit everything there. If that was the purpose of the demo, great, if that’s the limit of the battle system (beyond multiple party members and larger enemy forces making it more interesting) then yes, I think it needs a little more too.
Hm I guess that's fair. I would like a bit more than just memorizing enemy weaknesses. Granted in the real game there will be a greater variety in weapons, spells and enemies, so it won't wear thin nearly as quickly as the demo did.

That said the brave points and shield mechanics are pretty flexible, and each enemy type ends up being its own little puzzle. Adding any major element could really fuck that up.

Redcrayon

Zoinks!
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hm I guess that's fair. I would like a bit more than just memorizing enemy weaknesses. Granted in the real game there will be a greater variety in weapons, spells and enemies, so it won't wear thin nearly as quickly as the demo did.

That said the brave points and shield mechanics are pretty flexible, and each enemy type ends up being its own little puzzle. Adding any major element could really fuck that up.
Fair points. Yeah, I think there’s a lot of potential there, alongside the writing that’s why I’m so interested in it :D

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017

you shouldnt have to memorize weaknesses as it tells you the weakness once you find it.

Lukasper

Oct 28, 2017
I think it might be a bit premature to say the battles need to be more interesting when we haven't tried battles with a party of characters.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda surprised that some sort of toggle to increase/decrease random encounters (like bd1/2 had) didn't make the cut.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I don’t understand the movement speed complaints. Is running not fast enough? Did some people not realize that you can run in the first place?

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest concern about the game is that, after the initial stories being interesting, human and relatable, the game will inevitably turn into a bunch of cliched bullshit about saving the world.

Eirwaz

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
The bloom was a bit overkill. Ifntheybcan fix that and the rest of the characters are as good as primrose, i think thisngame is going to be a winner.

zroid

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
– Some parts of the map were hard to see
– Hope for a feature to skip events
– The menu is a bit inconvenient (maybe criticizing the UI quality)
– Could the text be a bit bigger?
These are the issues I had raised (as well as hoping for encounter frequency slider), so it's good to see most people had the same concerns as me, and they will likely be addressed.

SleepyPanda46

Oct 26, 2017
Overall it seems that the core gameplay is very good if you look at the star ratings.

The points in the feedback are looking like things witch could be fixed fast and easy if they turn out to be a real problem.

Aigis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping they would fix up the combat, every enemy was a sponge in that game for no reason

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest concern about the game is that, after the initial stories being interesting, human and relatable, the game will inevitably turn into a bunch of cliched bullshit about saving the world.
aye, I'm pretty over saving the world stories. they're fine, but they just arent as compelling as the human condition now

BassForever

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think that vast majority of the feedback is fair outside of making battles more interesting. I think that would have happened naturally once you got a larger assortment of characters, weapon types, and abilities. If I were the dev team I would try not to over correct on that issue unless they come up with some clever ways to add to the combat.

trinitron

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they allow you to change targets during battles by using diagonal inputs on the thumbstick. The demo didn't work that way for me at least

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly they're still in a very iterative stage (hence the demo put out for feedback), and Octopath Traveler will probably be late-ish 2018 as a result. Just look at the demo's combat menus versus the trailer's -- completely different.

While there was plenty to improve on, I have to hope that they don't change the product too much. I'm already a huge fan of the battle system, the art style, etc.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
I swear my demo must have a bug in it, because the voice audio was super, super low. I mean I couldn't hear ANYTHING when it came to voices (music & sound effects were fine). The shitty thing was that I had to wait the 15 min of the cut scenes just to go to the options menu, so missed everything (unless I read it). This was both docked and portable.

I added my notes, but I guess I was the only one who experiences this??

Morrigan

The MandaloRIAN
Oct 24, 2017
The art style and battle system were the best part.

The excessive vignette/DoF is what has to go, really. Oh and the constant "I'm ready!" etc. voices in battle at every single action.

And of course an encounter slider like in Bravely Default would be nice...

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet some of this stuff was already going to get changed, like event skipping.

Still, good to see they noted all of it.