PC Gaming ERA | December 2019 - A Monument To All Your Sins

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
How good is a plague tale? It's on sale on steam again and wanted to give it a try.
It's a really good game, one of my favourite games of this year.

Am I crazy or was A Plague Tale rumored or announced for Game Pass at some point? There's so much stuff on it or announced for it now it's hard to keep track.
Don't think it has been, but as it's published by Focus there's a good chance it will be on there eventually as a number of their games have been on game pass already. It is included as part of Origin Access Premier though as well at the moment.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think it has been, but as it's published by Focus there's a good chance it will be on there eventually as a number of their games have been on game pass already. It is included as part of Origin Access Premier though as well at the moment.
Ah maybe that's what I was thinking of, thanks. Maybe I'll sign up for a month sometime before the march/april insanity of next year and play it and Star Wars.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
re: FF 14 Being forced to queue for group content (or struggle trying to do it solo) was a big turn off for me. I know it's an MMO so it's kind of my fault, but I prefer to play solo. Also I had a login queue almost every day but still had long queues to group. Bummer. Most of the quests were also pretty standard fare (I know the DLCs are where it gets interesting) but shout out to the job questlines that were kind of fun to do as well.

Chairmanchuck

Oct 25, 2017
China
re: FF 14 Being forced to queue for group content (or struggle trying to do it solo) was a big turn off for me. I know it's an MMO so it's kind of my fault, but I prefer to play solo. Also I had a login queue almost every day but still had long queues to group. Bummer. Most of the quests were also pretty standard fare (I know the DLCs are where it gets interesting) but shout out to the job questlines that were kind of fun to do as well.
Outside of dungeons the game is really more like a "solo" game in my opinion.

Btw. regarding RDR2 sales and judging it based on player count. I am not sure but being Nr. 1 in the worldwide topsellers, having 16k reviews after like 10 days doesnt feel like its selling bad...

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

It is, and that's what I enjoyed. It's just that you get bottlenecked with the dungeons and it not only forces you to group up, but the wait times really bring the game to a halt while you wait. Some of the dungeons are out in the middle of nowhere with not much else to do while you wait.

Hella

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Btw. regarding RDR2 sales and judging it based on player count. I am not sure but being Nr. 1 in the worldwide topsellers, having 16k reviews after like 10 days doesnt feel like its selling bad...
Ehh, it incentivises party content pretty heavily. The most efficient way to level in the game is the daily roulette, a once-a-day random dungeon/trial queue. High-level party content is the next. Solo play is pretty XP-inefficient outside of the main story quests IIRC.

Patry content is also the source of the best loot.

FFXIV never forgets that it is an MMO.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I want to thank the xbox app for deciding to redownload The Outer Worlds for no apparent reason. Microsoft really need to figure out how this digital store thing works if they want to compete after everyone is over the cheap game pass high.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Got my jobs (summoner and scholar), got my chocobo, it's fun enough after the initial "oh this is just wow?" shellshock. Leveling still feels like it takes ages even with the pre-70 buff, and im barely paying attention to the story (im skipping most of the dialogue, especially the sidequest stuff, they love their meaningless fluff dont they?), the big cutscenes are neat for a mmo at least. Guild quests are good too, to the point I could see myself doing the other classes guild quests, if I dont lose interest in like a week or something, which I probably will lol. Still, my allday-er was fun.

Hella

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
should a first playthrough of BattleTech be with or without Flashpoint installed?
No reason to turn off any of the DLCs. They only make Battletech better.

Edit: Oh and if the concern is the flashpoints, they only pop up in the campaign after you've finished the story IIRC.

Last edited:

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
dex3108 You played Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris recently right? Worked just fine? What OS are you running? It keeps crashing on my end as soon as I click new game from the main menu.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to change which PC the Steam mobile app considers the currently logged in PC to remotely install games?

It always thinks my work PC is the currently logged on even if I am only at home too...

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
At least they already changed the way you play with Trust so you don't need to group up with people to do dungeons on Shadowbringers.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I have been testing ps now without major issue for two months.
However, there are major issues I have with games requiring touch screen, since I use A xbox One controller which does not support it obviously. I have read about softwares that emulate this function but I have no idea about how doable it is.
Games impacted are Uncharted 4, Infamous Second Son or Until Dawn for example.

Another issue I have with Uncharted games is they seem to have deadzone issues, preventing me from running forwards.Running works with all dirtection except forwards. I can fix this by editing the deadzone through Steam(I make a shortcut for ps now which I add to Steam) but then, this causes another issue, as 80% of times controller is not detected by PS Now if I run it through Steam. This is a shame because otherwise the fix works(setting deadzone to square and pushing sensivity bar).

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
dex3108 You played Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris recently right? Worked just fine? What OS are you running? It keeps crashing on my end as soon as I click new game from the main menu.
Played it on Win 10, latest update. Friend and I had few soft crashes (game crashed to main menu) and I think 1 or 2 real crashes (game crashed to desktop). Other than that we had one item still showing up on friend PC after I picked it up.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I played through Rage 2 in the four days before my Game Pass sub lapsed.

I totally understand why the reviews were low, but I gotta say, it was waaaayyyyyyy more fun than I thought it would be...based solely on the combat alone.

It was probably due to playing it with a deadline that it forced me to put hard limits on how much I looked around for those stupid chests and how much side stuff I did. Because of that, I was likely underpowered through my entire playthrough, which meant I had to really scrounge for ammo, really think tactically and engage each encounter utilizing all the skills at my disposal, and damn it was fun. They keep a really nice balance between incentivizing you to rush into the fray (because dead enemies drop health pickups and XP that disappear pretty quick) and picking dudes off from a distance. All my abilities seemed at least situationally useful and the core guns had great pop. The enemies had fun movement patterns and their aim design actually incentivized dodging and weaving (as they took longer to pull aim on you after a dodge).

And that shotgun...one of my favourites in any FPS game. Just the ability to switch from close range shredder to long range slug shot (which you can tactically cause more damage on enemies by moving to put a wall behind them for them to splat off of) is just *chef kiss*.

Make no mistake, the world, characters, story, macro level design, 10,000 different currencies and level gating, lack of weapon variety, searching for stupid chests that give you 10XP (and needing 20 of them to get any new powerups), the driving and completely pointless open world....all of that is not good.

But the combat is real nice.

Maybe it's just because I haven't played Doom 2016 yet.

Yeah, it's probably that.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Does anyone else have issues with the Xbox One controller disconnecting randomly? I have to disable and re-enable Bluetooth to get it working again, but it's annoying when it happens mid game.

KojiKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Been going through my old backlog in between sessions of Yakuza zero (the cabaret club is draining, but I want my 4th Majima style dammit!) and is awesome taking last gen (and even some simpler current gen) games and getting 4K/60fps out of them on my piddly little 4GB RX580. Some games like BioShock Infinite hold up beautifully except for some animations and the fact the UI doesn't scale... though I'm sure there are solutions if I look hard enough. Tomb Raider remake, the Atelier series, Sonic All Star racing, Valyrie Chronicles all look amazing.

Took a bunch of pictures, but most places have a 10MB limit on images so can't really show any off.... but yeah, until I can get a really beefy GPU, it's fun to go back and revisit these guys in full 4k.

domthybomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

doctorcdcs

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is a weird one.

Looks like Malwarebytes is interfering with my Steam (both actual client and on browser), Origin and Uplay clients and, on steam for example, I'm unable to view the store front properly, nor was I able to login to my friends list. Broken images everywhere on Steam.

Once I turned it disabled it, everything went back to normal.

Hope they patch it soon.

sheaaaa

Oct 28, 2017

I totally understand why the reviews were low, but I gotta say, it was waaaayyyyyyy more fun than I thought it would be...based solely on the combat alone.

It was probably due to playing it with a deadline that it forced me to put hard limits on how much I looked around for those stupid chests and how much side stuff I did. Because of that, I was likely underpowered through my entire playthrough, which meant I had to really scrounge for ammo, really think tactically and engage each encounter utilizing all the skills at my disposal, and damn it was fun. They keep a really nice balance between incentivizing you to rush into the fray (because dead enemies drop health pickups and XP that disappear pretty quick) and picking dudes off from a distance. All my abilities seemed at least situationally useful and the core guns had great pop. The enemies had fun movement patterns and their aim design actually incentivized dodging and weaving (as they took longer to pull aim on you after a dodge).

And that shotgun...one of my favourites in any FPS game. Just the ability to switch from close range shredder to long range slug shot (which you can tactically cause more damage on enemies by moving to put a wall behind them for them to splat off of) is just *chef kiss*.

Make no mistake, the world, characters, story, macro level design, 10,000 different currencies and level gating, lack of weapon variety, searching for stupid chests that give you 10XP (and needing 20 of them to get any new powerups), the driving and completely pointless open world....all of that is not good.

I was in the exact same situation, with a week or so to play Rage 2 before my sub expired.

I enjoyed the combat but I think less than you did, and I rushed through the story and cutscenes cos jfc they were uninteresting. There's the core of a great shooter in there but so much open world fluff around it. Also technically it was pretty poor iirc

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
It's pretty good. Would recommend it at that price point
It's a really good game, one of my favourite games of this year.

One of the best games of this year for sure, I highly recommend it.
Bought. Thanks guys. For $22, I think it's okay. I enjoyed the demo so hopefully the full game is just as good.

doctorcdcs

Oct 25, 2017
Very odd. I am on Premium ver. 4.04 and have no issues with Malwarebytes doing anything odd to Steam or anything else.
You're lucky. I've had a number of issues with Malwarebytes since I've been using them since 2014ish. The worst one I had was an issue where it would just block my access to the internet, until I figured out that I had to disable one of its core functions (I think it was ransomware?), and then it would connect. That lasted a couple of months for me until it got patched.

Usually though, its just them flagging websites I use to get old pc games working in windows 10 as malware (dgvoodoo2 mainly). They get resolved usually by someone reporting it to malwarebytes, or if I just whitelist the site. Not a big deal, since its an easy fix, and not an issue with the client.

This made me worry a bit though, because the day before I just switched internet providers, and initially thought it was because of that, then after ruling that out (connecting to steam on my phone through wifi), wondered if my PC went wonky due to a power outage we had today, while the PC (with steam running) was left on, and I thought something went bad that way.

Still, as nice as it is to be able to find the cause, I don't like having malwarebytes disabled though, so just re-enabled it since I'm not using steam at the moment anyways. I guess it's better to have it be a little too overprotective than not work.

edit: I just checked to see if there was an update to malwarebytes, and there was, so I just did that. Hopefully, it fixes that.

I also forgot to mention that I was having another issue very recently with malwarebytes where my PC would have this huge slowdown issue everytime it went out of screensaver mode. I had to shut down malwarebytes and restarting it to fix that problem after discovering that it was the cause. I had to use their support tool to resolve it completely. Wow, I can't believe I forgot that one.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

I didn't play Rage 2 but from what i saw Bulletstorm is really close to it and it is linear and way shorter game if you want another game with fun combat.

Also game has gems like this XD

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I didn't play Rage 2 but from what i saw Bulletstorm is really close to it and it is linear and way shorter game if you want another game with fun combat.

Also game has gems like this XD
I played Bulletstorm back when it came out. I liked it okay, but hold the fact that it doesn't have a jump button irrationally against it. For some reason it just didn't click with me. It was solid, but I just didn't feel what a lot of other people felt with it. It had cool stuff, no doubt, but the kill with skill system either wasn't integrated enough or incentivized enough or...something.

I do remember that the storyline was weirdly heartfelt near the end for how much bravado it was pushing initially.

Also it was the most blue and yellow game I've ever played.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I played Bulletstorm back when it came out. I liked it okay, but hold the fact that it doesn't have a jump button irrationally against it. For some reason it just didn't click with me. It was solid, but I just didn't feel what a lot of other people felt with it. It had cool stuff, no doubt, but the kill with skill system either wasn't integrated enough or incentivized enough or...something.

I do remember that the storyline was weirdly heartfelt near the end for how much bravado it was pushing initially.

Yeah jump button would introduce even more ways to kill enemies but I guess sit made things easier for level designers to not have one. If they ever make a sequel I hope that they will add jump and grappling gun (like Doom Eternal did). And I like kill with skill system because it makes me look around environment to see how I can dispatch enemies in different ways XD

And I like environments in this game so much. I would play open world game set on this planet :D

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

No jump button in an arcade action fest like Bulletstorm is just pure wtf. Can't imagine how they came to that decision.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hey all, there was a thread in Gaming recently asking for website recommendations on where to buy a computer, can anyone link me to it? Can't seem to find it.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Am I fucking crazy for thinking this sounds like "We didn't think our Early Access game was good enough for Steam Early Access a year ago"?
I don't believe that, but.....is that what they are saying here? What are they trying to say here?
The only charitable way I could read it is - we launched in a better state now, so we have better user reviews overall. Thats the only real thing I can think of when they say "including Steam"

AJ_Wings

Oct 31, 2017

Am I fucking crazy for thinking this sounds like "We didn't think our Early Access game was good enough for Steam Early Access a year ago"?
I don't believe that, but.....is that what they are saying here? What are they trying to say here?
Yea. That’s a little bit of a head scratcher.

I’ll give Supergiant the fact that they really made use of Epic’s resources in the year it was exclusive. They were able to add so much content before the Steam early access phase and I have no doubt launch content will be insane when it gets there.

Status
Not open for further replies.