Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - crowdfunding campaign and development updates - Kickstarter live now! (Official turn-based support planned)

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Nice ! Between this (I love when RPG only sets in small part of the world), the kingdom management (someone mentioned PK in Suikoden thread lol), Inon Zur as the composer and cheap price point, will definitely try Kingmaker once I cleared my backlog a bit.

IIRC, Inon Zur only did the title theme. But the music in the rest of the game that I played (maybe 15 hours-ish) was quite good.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I've been debating pledging the 43 dollar bid so i can get the original game as well. It's high on my list as I'm currently enjoying Pillars of Eternity and wanted to try it next.
I was about to do that, but it was slightly cheaper to go for the $28 tier and buy this month's humble bundle choice thingie. That and I get to play kingmaker immediately.

modestb

Jan 24, 2019
Just picked up Kingmaker again with this mod and it's so good. Disable it for the trash mobs, enable it for the more involved fights. Phenomenal.
Not only that you can turn it on/off mid-fight. Once you've gotten down to the last stubborn enemy and all your guys are still up, you know you've won - pop TB mode off and mop things up in a few seconds rather than a minute or so of going through all the turns. A 'trash' fight quickly turning against you? Turn TB mode on!

Wrath is set in "Really Fucked."
This map is amazing

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I clicked that image and it was some 4chan link shit, so if anything is fucked on it, I wouldn't be surprised.

Shodan14

Oct 30, 2017
Just reporting back from the Kingmaker Turn Based mod, to say that it's amazing and works better than it has any right to. I didn't notice any mistakes from PnP rules and there are surprise rounds, initiative and it even finishes full attacks for you by choosing new targets if you kill the current one and have attacks left over. It also makes a lot of the spells and abilities much more useful and the game more tactical.

Honestly, Owlcat should just pay the modder to integrate it.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Just reporting back from the Kingmaker Turn Based mod, to say that it's amazing and works better than it has any right to. I didn't notice any mistakes from PnP rules and there are surprise rounds, initiative and it even finishes full attacks for you by choosing new targets if you kill the current one and have attacks left over. It also makes a lot of the spells and abilities much more useful and the game more tactical.

Honestly, Owlcat should just pay the modder to integrate it.
Yep. It's pretty great. As a few people mentioned earlier, the ideal way to play is to go RTwP for trash mobs and then switch to TB any time you see something scary.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Hopefully Wrath has less trash mobs overall and instead has more meaningful fights that would play well in RTwP or turn-based, and have the fights award more XP. That'd be a better solution than a mod you have to turn off for significant portions of the game.

Shodan14

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully Wrath has less trash mobs overall and instead has more meaningful fights that would play well in RTwP or turn-based, and have the fights award more XP. That'd be a better solution than a mod you have to turn off for significant portions of the game.
That would be great as well, yes. Should be plenty of inspiration in the Adventure Path.

AzureSky

Dec 11, 2017
Yep. It's pretty great. As a few people mentioned earlier, the ideal way to play is to go RTwP for trash mobs and then switch to TB any time you see something scary.
This should be the natural evolution of "real time with pause". The game works internally with turns anyway, just give the option for the player to use it when necessary. It just feels right to play it this way.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Some details of the story in the new update:

Discord seems to think the next goal is doubled reactivity which should please you

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Not particularly interested in that story premise, though then again, Kingmaker's premise on paper is pretty boring too and it ended up being one of the rare fantasy CRPG main stories that really sucked me in.

Discord seems to think the next goal is doubled reactivity which should please you

I see we've reached the nebulous stretch goals territory. Hope we reach this, either way.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017

Yay! That's precisely what I wanted.

Hopefully "Doubled" means "doubled compared to our original plans for WotR, already significantly upscaled compared to Kingmaker" and not "doubled compared to Kingmaker", as reactivity in Kingmaker was pretty weak, frankly, and even doubling it wouldn't make it sufficient. The lack of extensive reactivity is basically my main gripe against that otherwise excellent game.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
What *is* reactivity? I can't quite place it
I guess you could boil it down to "how many of your choices actually matter".

More branching paths, different endings and content exclusive to certain choices. The more reactive the game is, the more it actually reacts to your individual choices and actions.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
What *is* reactivity? I can't quite place it
I can give some examples from Kingmaker. For instance, one of the companions, Jaethal, has certain reasons to hate and fear followers of the deity Pharasma (and the feeling should be mutual). Yet, even if your main character is a cleric of Pharasma, there is no reaction about that from Jaethal, or in the other direction. This is precisely the lack of reactivity.

Another example is when Jubilost, a gnome companion, teaches your main character about the gnome society even if your character is a fellow gnome. In a game with good reactivity this shouldn't happen (or at least there should be some changes to the dialogue in that case).

So hopefully WotR will be better on this front.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Nice, that can definitely make a massive difference in how the game is experienced.

Just 1 more to go...

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Doubled reactivity would be very nice, something which makes the game world feel more responsive and cohesive is one of those hard to quantify but potentially very meaningful improvements, adding personality and charm that gives a game that sought after X factor. Funding has started to slow down a lot but if it maintains a decent average over the next four weeks I reckon it'll definitely hit 1.5 mil, likely hit 1.7 with an outside chance of 2 mil. Does anyone think only revealing one stretch goal at a time has an impact on potential funding? Like, if the next goal isn't that interesting when there's a whole list you know your pledge is still going towards hitting that cool goal you definitely want down the line, but when there's only that next meh goal and a prediction of another you might feel inclined to hold off until you see something you're more interested in.

I'm enjoying Kingmaker a lot now that I've got into it. Still don't have a good grasp of the many systems and classes etc but I read somewhere that buffs are key so I've built a seemingly solid team that gets buffed up the wazoo, was good enough to beat the Crag Linnorm at level 8 despite his insane breath weapon damage and because I predicted having one of a certain kind of weapon would be useful to have handy so had one as a back-up to my main character's awesome flaming nunchuks, though i'm not sure my monk/scion evasive tank is a particularly good combination. It required an alt-tab google search to realise I needed to switch weapons after a couple of minutes whaling on a comatose dragon, not entirely sure that's great game design since I imagine a lot of people wouldn't have bought a weapon just in case like I did and I had no way of knowing it was what I needed to finish the dragon off until I googled. It is insane how good sneak attack is and Ekundayo is just a ranged damage machine.

I've just seen off the trolls and spent a couple months upgrading my kingdom and claiming another territory and doing sidequests. I'm about to get the next bit of the hilltop curse. I'm probably in the minority here but I think I actually prefer this kind of relatively grounded fantasy story, an adventurer carving out a barony from the wilderness and protecting my people from trolls and exploring ancient ruins as opposed to the epic, world-changing, clash of good against evil involving gods, angels and arch demons that Wrath is going to be, though I'm saying this in Chapter 2 so there's still a lot of time for the story to go bigger.

I'm enjoying it so much I'm considering picking up the DLC, what are people's opinions on them? I already have Wildcards, so I'm asking about the other two. From what I understand one is a side story that doesn't really add much to the main game except a few items and the other is basically a giant dungeon crawl with little to no story so they sound pretty optional.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'm enjoying it so much I'm considering picking up the DLC, what are people's opinions on them? I already have Wildcards, so I'm asking about the other two. From what I understand one is a side story that doesn't really add much to the main game except a few items and the other is basically a giant dungeon crawl with little to no story so they sound pretty optional.
they can be both played standalone or during the campaign.
Varnhold's lot is the story of Maegar Varn, the other new appointed baron that you meet in the throne room at the start, you create a char and play as one of his lieutenants, linear 5h+ , cool big dungeon.
Beneath the stolen lands is an endless dungeon with some roguelike aspects, just fun and challenging gameplay.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
This should be the natural evolution of "real time with pause". The game works internally with turns anyway, just give the option for the player to use it when necessary. It just feels right to play it this way.
It does seem consistent with the pro-RTwP argument that what you want is to give players the ability to adjust pace and attention to what the encounter requires.

It's interesting. If I remember correctly, one of the challenges of implementing a turn-based mode in Deadfire is that Deadfire does not have the same "round" concept under the hood that PFKM or some other TTRPG-based games do. Why would it, when it was not trying to translate turn-based rules into CRPG format? But now I'd have to say that the ability to toggle back and forth between RTwP and turn-based is a pretty powerful argument for sticking with "rounds."

Efreeti

Jul 5, 2019
I liked the dungeon crawl quite a lot. Since it doesn't have any time limits or kingdom fail possibilities it was great for relaxing play and a good way to test how different classes / builds play.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm planning on giving the dungeon crawler/roguelike DLC for Kingmaker a try this week. Pretty excited to check it out and maybe even learn how to play the fucking game lol.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
More reactivity is indeed a great goal. I’d honestly kinda just like to see all the goals from here on out be kinda nebulous “we’ll just make the game more dense” options than working towards entirely new systems or character options.

Arkanius

Oct 25, 2017
All of you guys are talking about the Turn Based mode and my PnP player in me wants to install it so bad.
But god damn, I just wish it was native instead of a mod.

I'm loving Kingmaker but I hate how most of my casters/mages are completely ignored in terms of abilities since I cba to make them cast most of the time.

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
More reactivity is indeed a great goal. I’d honestly kinda just like to see all the goals from here on out be kinda nebulous “we’ll just make the game more dense” options than working towards entirely new systems or character options.
I kinda wish more Kickstarters would do that. Like have a stretch goal of "We will hire more devs to finish the game faster and with more polish" option instead of "hey we will add even more shit to the game!"

Brian Damage

Nov 1, 2017
UK
I kinda wish more Kickstarters would do that. Like have a stretch goal of "We will hire more devs to finish the game faster and with more polish" option instead of "hey we will add even more shit to the game!"
The problem with those kinds of goals is that if they don't reach it, the implication is that the game will be released with less polish.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the stretch goals have been mostly focused on extra options rather than substantial new content like areas or quests so far. They're already aiming for 80 hours so that's long enough. Just need to make it as deep and reactive as possible.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
they can be both played standalone or during the campaign.
Varnhold's lot is the story of Maegar Varn, the other new appointed baron that you meet in the throne room at the start, you create a char and play as one of his lieutenants, linear 5h+ , cool big dungeon.
Beneath the stolen lands is an endless dungeon with some roguelike aspects, just fun and challenging gameplay.
I liked the dungeon crawl quite a lot. Since it doesn't have any time limits or kingdom fail possibilities it was great for relaxing play and a good way to test how different classes / builds play.
Thanks for the answers guys. They sound like they're worth getting for a second playthrough but not essential so I'll probably skip them for now as I had a couple of big bills this month so money is a bit tight.
I'm loving Kingmaker but I hate how most of my casters/mages are completely ignored in terms of abilities since I cba to make them cast most of the time.
Yes I'm finding the same thing - I use casters to buff up before the fight and have opening fight casts but after that I tend to leave them on automatic for minimal ranged damage unless things are really going to shit and I crack out a couple of not particularly damaging spells. My Octavia does way more damage with her sneak attack and by hasting Ekundayo than she does with spells.

Shodan14

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the answers guys. They sound like they're worth getting for a second playthrough but not essential so I'll probably skip them for now as I had a couple of big bills this month so money is a bit tight.

Yes I'm finding the same thing - I use casters to buff up before the fight and have opening fight casts but after that I tend to leave them on automatic for minimal ranged damage unless things are really going to shit and I crack out a couple of not particularly damaging spells. My Octavia does way more damage with her sneak attack and by hasting Ekundayo than she does with spells.
Another thing the turn based mod does is make casters useful and fun to play, even Magus'es.

PS. Fanatical has Pathfinder: Kingmaker on sale.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Several of Pathfinder's caster classes are better at buffs/debuffs/cc than adding damage. Wizards, for example are generally far more effective, especially through level 10 or so, focusing on crowd control stuff like glitterdust/spiderweb/haste. Then at higher levels they can pick up a few high-damage spells without any prior investment in that direction (or at least minimal investment for the cone of cold - metamagic rime spell combo).