Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - crowdfunding campaign and development updates - Kickstarter live now! (Official turn-based support planned)

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Thanks. I will read into more reviews and may just get it then, since it's on Humble Choice and I already subbed for a year.
Just make sure to read fairly recent reviews (preferably written after the release of the "Enhanced edition"), as the game was very buggy and with huge balance issues at launch, and people were (understandably) frustrated at that, which reflected in their reviews (sometimes with even, imo, unfair criticism, probably due to the general frustration). By now Kingmaker has been extensively patched and the experience is vastly better than at launch.

Also, like I've said above: if you end up picking this game, do note that it really opens up from Act 2 (and while initially it felt a bit too generic to me, ultimately I've enjoyed the story a lot, it has interesting twists and the characters are generally well-written; also the higher level combat is quite a bit more interesting then the lower level one).

Last edited:

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Def keeping my eye on this. Was going to buy the original but kingdom building/management isn't my cup of tea. Also reminds me that I need to pick up Original Sin 2 and get with the program!

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Def keeping my eye on this. Was going to buy the original but kingdom building/management isn't my cup of tea. Also reminds me that I need to pick up Original Sin 2 and get with the program!
From what I've read you can actually auto the kingdom aspect. The game's also in the most recent Humble Choice bundle if you're looking to try it out but not too willing to invest.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I was having fun with Kingmaker up until the kingdom management started... Then I felt like I had no idea what I was doing, and quit. I do want to give it another chance though. I didn't know you could auto-manage it.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Thanks guys, I'll give it a go via the humble bundle route!

For reference I'm a fan of Baldur's Gate but Pillars of Eternity never clicked for me so looking for that Baldur's Gate itch to be scratched.

Nov 8, 2017
I was having fun with Kingmaker up until the kingdom management started... Then I felt like I had no idea what I was doing, and quit. I do want to give it another chance though. I didn't know you could auto-manage it.
Literally my arc with the game. Overwhelmed by sudden introduction of new systems, dropped the game. I didn't even mean to drop it, I just kept going "oh yeah I'll learn how to do it properly and get back into it soon!" then soon never came. Needing to make so many decisions that might have a long term impact was quite intimidating when the game hadn't been training you on any of this stuff.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Thanks guys, I'll give it a go via the humble bundle route!

For reference I'm a fan of Baldur's Gate but Pillars of Eternity never clicked for me so looking for that Baldur's Gate itch to be scratched.
For what it's worth, I felt that Kingmaker scratches that BG2 itch much better than PoE games do (I liked them too though).

Kingmaker has rather extensive difficulty settings, so it's possible to tailor them into your liking really well, and change them on the fly as well (well, except for the "Auto" Kingdom setting, if you switch to it, you can't switch back, if I remember correctly).

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I totally forgot Kingmaker was pretty heavy with the time limits. I wasn't a huge fan of them either, though it's more of a combination of things for me (a way too RNG-reliant kingdom management system taking a huge chunk of the in-game time, and I tend to rely a lot on resting since resource management/per-rest spells and abilities aren't interesting to me).

Any idea if WotR will lean on hard time limits too?

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Hmm, I totally forgot Kingmaker was pretty heavy with the time limits. I wasn't a huge fan of them either, though it's more of a combination of things for me (a way too RNG-reliant kingdom management system taking a huge chunk of the in-game time, and I tend to rely a lot on resting since resource management/per-rest spells and abilities aren't interesting to me).

Any idea if WotR will lean on hard time limits too?
In the dev stream they said that time limits will be featured less prominently this time around, if at all.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
It mostly depends on how they want to handle quest/story progression. In Kingmaker, quests would generally appear based on the date in the calendar which meant you generally had to complete story quests by a certain point for the story to continue.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
There's a Cheat Mod available on Nexus Mods which features options such as pausing time-limits, and automatic successes for kingdom management, alongside your usual Infinite HP etc. Allowed me to get on with just enjoying the game by knowing the Kingdom wasn't going to fall apart whilst adventuring.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
There's a Cheat Mod available on Nexus Mods which features options such as pausing time-limits, and automatic successes for kingdom management, alongside your usual Infinite HP etc. Allowed me to get on with just enjoying the game by knowing the Kingdom wasn't going to fall apart whilst adventuring.
You don't even need a mod to essentially turn off kingdom management, the base in-game options now have an auto success/"i don't want to bother with this shit" feature.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the auto kingdom management setting is that... it's dumb as hell, and will probably mean you end up missing all or most of the artisan weapons and items. I just set everything to 1 day, give BP and crisis token items, and just get it over with. Doing it yourself also means you pick where your towns are, which is important for having a teleportation circle in each.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
How exactly would one improve a half-elf/half-lizard humanoid design? Not bickering just curious what the rub is?
That design looks like Two Face from Batman.
Probably a better way to design him would be to give him less pronounced features of both the half elf and half lizard designs instead of giving half of his body one design and half of his body the other design.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
How exactly would one improve a half-elf/half-lizard humanoid design? Not bickering just curious what the rub is?
Literal 50 / 50 cut from middle looks so cheesy and bad, it doesn't even try to seem natural.

Why not to make it more interesting and natural by mixing prominent features of each race instead of making this cheesy two face effect from 90s Batman movie?

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Nice we get another hybrid class. Looking at the hybrid classes I would have preferred Slayer or Hunter because I like Rangers but Skald seems fun

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Literal 50 / 50 cut from middle looks so cheesy and bad, it doesn't even try to seem natural.
It's not exactly natural though. He's not the son of a half elf and lizardman. He's the son of a half elf and a man mutated by the world wound

Personally I don't mind the look. It makes him seem like more of a freak than a scaly half elf would look

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
I don't mind the appearance, odd as it may be, given that he's not half-Lizardman. He's a descendant of crusaders whose time fighting demons left a physical taint in their bloodlines that has carried over several generations. Their description even mentions that he was lucky to be born with a fully functioning body, including organs, implying that most of them are not so lucky. He's closer to old school Tieflings which rolled from a giant list of possible deformities before they made Tieflings just sexy humans with red skin, horns, and a tail.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's not exactly natural though. He's not the son of a half elf and lizardman. He's the son of a half elf and a man mutated by the world wound

Personally I don't mind the look. It makes him seem like more of a freak than a scaly half elf would look
To me design is off putting in a sense of makes me not interested in him as companion. That design just doesn't work for me and makes him less interesting because absurdness of design.

Feb 12, 2019
I get that the guy is meant to be descended from a bunch of horrific warp-twisted mongrelfolk, but that design is a little much. On the other hand, I'm very into the idea of a Zen Archer companion.
Nice we get another hybrid class. Looking at the hybrid classes I would have preferred Slayer or Hunter because I like Rangers but Skald seems fun
Slayers were actually already added to Kingmaker back when they updated it to the "Enhanced Edition." Given that one of the stretch goals was about better Animal Companions, I could see Hunters being included if they're putting in any more classes after Skald. Really, the only classes from the Advanced Players/Class guide I can't see them potentially adding are Summoners and Brawlers, both of whom seem like they'd be an absolute headache to implement.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Anyone figured the next clue? Wouldn't surprise me if the last word was
Owlcat

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
To me design is off putting in a sense of makes me not interested in him as companion. That design just doesn't work for me and makes him less interesting because absurdness of design.
I'm willing to accept him if his introduction is him saying: he's the thing in the swamp they send adventurers to kill and he's chaotic neutral

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the characters story is kinda interesting and I get that he's not actually a lizard as much as he is a mutant. I just think that design drawing of him is.....not great. It looks like something a high school kid though up when you asked him to draw a half lizard half elf man lol.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Since he looks that way due to the influence of demonic chaotical magical energies (who knows how those work) on his ancestors, and not as some sort of a "natural" offspring of a human and a lizardman, this design doesn't seem too absurd to me.

-----

Here is the updated goal list, for convenience:

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
It's Pathfinder. It's all absurd. I don't know why you'd balk at that design but not ratpeople people riding mastodons into battle.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Why it's such sticking point to you guys that I don't love that razor sharp 50 / 50 divided "two face" design of that companion?