Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - crowdfunding campaign and development updates - Kickstarter live now! (Official turn-based support planned)

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
They've just hit the orchestra goal, next one is indeed increased reactivity:

Dear Pathfinders,

Golarion is a world rich with traditions, religions, and paths, where a bold and cunning adventurer can find their destiny. When making Pathfinder: Kingmaker, we tried to enliven this world for you as much as possible, making NPCs and your companions react to your race, choices, and appearance. But there is no such thing as “too much reactivity” in a CRPG. So, we decided to go beyond what we did in Kingmaker and add even more.

If we hit the next stretch goal, the Commander’s troops won’t hesitate to voice their opinion to all and sundry. The more we write them, the more we feel their personalities bloom and come to life. We get a sense of who tends to praise, who tends to joke, and who is often ready to make a snide remark. Reading each other’s dialogues, we often think: “Oh, Seelah (or another companion) has something to say about this!”, so why bottle it up?

Any hero who steps into the melting pot of the Fifth Crusade will now attract more attention and interest. And suspicion, of course. What made a tiefling with demon heritage join the crusade against their kin? Why did a noble elf leave Kyonin? And you, stranger, you’re basically an animal… right?

But it’s not just your race that will raise questions among curious crusaders and civilians. Are you picturing yourself as a skilled swordsman, warpriest, or cavalier on a glorious mount? You can bet that there will be characters who have an opinion on your chosen “career path.”

The camp, where your companions can relax and truly be themselves, is the place where bonds of friendship or mutual dislike are forged. This is the place where you can get to know your counterparts better, and now they will converse more freely around you, expressing themselves to the fullest. Long story short: we’re offering you more party banter and more reactivity, so you can experience Golarion as a living, breathing world.

To arms!

Owlcats

Arkanius

Oct 25, 2017
With the huge success that the Turn Based Mod is, I'm amazed that they did not include it in the stretch goals

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, so more reactivity in this case means more and more varied party banter, essentially.

Sounds good to me. Frequent and fun party banter is one of the best ways of keeping me immersed in the world during story-light parts, like when you're going through a very long dungeon or something.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Yay! That's precisely what I wanted.

Hopefully "Doubled" means "doubled compared to our original plans for WotR, already significantly upscaled compared to Kingmaker" and not "doubled compared to Kingmaker", as reactivity in Kingmaker was pretty weak, frankly, and even doubling it wouldn't make it sufficient. The lack of extensive reactivity is basically my main gripe against that otherwise excellent game.
Same here, very nice.

As you rightly point out "doubled relative to what? ".
Kingmaker tends to be quite uneven with surprising call backs / ad-hoc comments mixed with "doh! / what the?! " instances.

Any improvement welcome in that field anyway as, IMO, the provided immersion trumps wider systems/mechanics (more classes / races / mythic paths...).

More reactivity stretch goal => they got my first ever KS pledge!

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017

Seems like the hidden goal is
+1 Archetype per Class

Not too fond of this personally, as the system is already wide enough, in my opinion. Would prefer some other goal, but well.

Last edited:

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the more reactivity goal as it makes the game more re-playable and enjoyable.

Not too fussed about more archetypes per class and would prefer a new class like hunter instead.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I never even pick an archetype that's not the "default" for a class anyway. There's enough I have to keep track of already without having to worry about my characters having particular quirks or something lol.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
I never even pick an archetype that's not the "default" for a class anyway. There's enough I have to keep track of already without having to worry about my characters having particular quirks or something lol.
I tend to stick with the default class as well and we already have 5 archetypes per class so I'm not fussed about more.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the number of options for things like archetypes are already pretty overwhelming.

Shodan14

Oct 30, 2017
Archetypes are great, the biggest problem is finding ones with meaningful mechanical changes at this point.

At this point they should have a 'normie' mode that hides a bunch of the more advanced options.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Archetypes are great, the biggest problem is finding ones with meaningful mechanical changes at this point.

At this point they should have a 'normie' mode that hides a bunch of the more advanced options.
You know, I was JUST wondering like half an hour ago if something like more QoL features or something could be used as a stretch goal, and the first example that popped to mind was a "basic UI" toggle. Something that'd simplify various descriptions (spells, abilities, character stats and attributes and parameters and so on) as much as possible, so a lot of the minutiae would be replaced with abstractions which would obviously make extreme min-maxing impossible, but it'd make the descriptions much easier to parse at a glance, at least for non-nerds like me.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
You know, I was JUST wondering like half an hour ago if something like more QoL features or something could be used as a stretch goal, and the first example that popped to mind was a "basic UI" toggle. Something that'd simplify various descriptions (spells, abilities, character stats and attributes and parameters and so on) as much as possible, so a lot of the minutiae would be replaced with abstractions which would obviously make extreme min-maxing impossible, but it'd make the descriptions much easier to parse at a glance, at least for non-nerds like me.
They have already confirmed that they are implementing a completely reworked character creation/progression interface that is aimed to address these problems, as part of the base; they are also creating a dedicated in-depth tutorial this time around.

Shodan14

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, please! I'm happy that most of the info is there if you look hard enough, but it certainly isn't user-friendly or presented in a comprehensive way. If I wasn't familiar with Pathfinder beforehand it would probably be a nightmare

ara

Oct 26, 2017
They have already confirmed that they are implementing a completely reworked character creation/progression interface that is aimed to address these problems, as part of the base; they are also creating a dedicated in-depth tutorial this time around.
Oh, I know they're working to make WotR more approachable, but I doubt it's really to the extent that I'm talking about here. I'd love to be wrong, of course.

modestb

Jan 24, 2019
I neeeed one of the goals to be "Rangers and Druids can talk to animals like in NWN"

Oh did some other rpg do that recently? Who can even recall all the games that ripped off Neverwinter

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Official turn-based support announced for the crybabies

kidding about the last part. kind of.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Official turn-based support announced for the crybabies

kidding about the last part. kind of.
Anno
This is huge for some people, could you add it to some prominent place in the OP with the link to the explanation?

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I’m glad they’re working on something for it but this is a weird tenor to announce it with lol. “Yes, we’re working on something. Shut up already and we’ll talk about it more later.”

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Well shit, there it is. And taking the mod as baseline and improving upon it, keeping the most important part - the ability to turn it off and on at will. Good news.

flare

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome news. I'm glad they're taking inspiration from the mod - turning it on and off is the best part.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Anno
This is huge for some people, could you add it to some prominent place in the OP with the link to the explanation?

Got the thread title updated. I’ll add in something to the OP as well when I’m home.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Official turn based support is great. Glad you can toggle it like the mod so that deals with the trash mob problem.

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
Question, if I back the 43 dollar tier, do I get my copy of Kingmaker right away or is it not delivered until the code for Wrath is?

I wouldn't mind giving them the extra cash in order to start Kingmaker but not if I have to wait.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Question, if I back the 43 dollar tier, do I get my copy of Kingmaker right away or is it not delivered until the code for Wrath is?

I wouldn't mind giving them the extra cash in order to start Kingmaker but not if I have to wait.
I think they've said you'd get the code for Kingmaker at the end of the kickstarter and your pledge has gone through, so in about 4 weeks.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of having both RTwP and TB. Feels like they could end up with 2 half-baked modes instead of focusing on creating a single good game mode.
Other than that, really looking forward to this game. And great to see how well the kickstarter is doing, still increasing quite fast each day.

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
You can buy one month of Humble Choice right now for like $14 and get to choose three games from a list of 10-12, one of which this month is Kingmaker.
Yeah that is what I plan on doing. I just figured if I could get the game right away AND give more to the Kickstarter I'd rather do it that way.

But I will just do it this way instead.

Ardonet

Jun 13, 2019
Hope they make better gay romances and not the only one option like in Kingmaker who already in relationship. And not tie one of the ending to romance.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of having both RTwP and TB. Feels like they could end up with 2 half-baked modes instead of focusing on creating a single good game mode.
There's absolutely no reason to believe this. RTwP was already decided on as the "main mode" (hell, years back even since they've already released one RTwP Pathfinder game and this is a direct sequel, same exact technology and all!) and they very clearly emphasize that the whole thing will be balanced around RTwP in the short announcement text.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Other than that, really looking forward to this game. And great to see how well the kickstarter is doing, still increasing quite fast each day.
They say that they are focusing on Rtwp so that mode should be balanced and well done. The turn based mode is just something they are adding as an option and could be half baked but I'll take it.

I never tried the turn based mod because I didn't realise you could turn it on and off mid game but that makes it sound interesting. rtwp for trash and turn based for more serious fights is how I'l probably play Wrath

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The game is turn based behind the scenes, anyway. They just time slice turns to a number of seconds in rtwp. Kingmaker moves very smoothly between the two.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
rtwp for trash and turn based for more serious fights is how I'l probably play Wrath
Yeah, this sounds like a great way to play. The best way, even. I'd love to play more CRPGs completely turn-based, but unfortunately frequent trash mob fights plague the vast majority of them, and TB ends up being too damn slow.

E: or would - most of them of course don’t offer a TB mode at all

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah on the turn based. I've been playing Kingmaker with mod, and I'm liking it a lot better than before. And yeah, being able to toggle between the two modes is great to deal with some of the shit encounters.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Great!

I'm honestly pretty suspicious about "we wanted to announce it later" unless it was later during the kickstarter. It's a huge selling point, especially after D:OS1/2.
Eh I can believe they would want to wait until they could actually show it in action at a level they were comfortable/proud of.