• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Out of these five manga/anime, which one had the most interesting world, conceptually? (NOT about execution, but concept)

Which is the most conceptually interesting?

• Dragon Ball's dragon world

Votes: 48 10.3%
  • Naruto's ninja world

Votes: 82 17.6%
  • Bleach's focus on the afterlife and spirituality

Votes: 87 18.7%
  • One Piece's high seas

Votes: 238 51.1%
  • Fairy Tail's world of wizards

Votes: 11 2.4%

• Total voters

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One Piece is the bear executed no doubt and I feel that’s giving it the win in the poll but the concept of a ninja world with all these clans and samurai and everything is way more interesting. They just blew their load and showed EVERYTHING including all the past ninja and events to the beginning of time in the war arc and kneecapped it
The thing I love about One Piece is that the world can stay fresh by taking in all types of settings as you go island to island. Like you like samurai and ninja? Wano has you covered.

Son Goku

Oct 31, 2017
Conceptually probably Bleach. But of course the actual execution of that world pales in comparison to the likes of One Piece, which has become one of my favorite examples of world building in manga.

Hunter x Hunter and Toriko would probably beat out any of the worlds in the poll for me though.
Hunter X Hunter has the best battle system but the world seems pretty limited and then he randomly throws in at the end of the anime that it’s just one part of a larger world

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
One Piece is a completely new and imaginative setting every arc, but its also tied together geographically and politically so it still feels connected.
You say conceptually, but that is the concept in a nutshell, a long and crazy voyage around this wildly imaginative world.

Last edited:

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's One Piece because it's a concept with a lot of depth from the get go by mashing piracy, sailing and weird fruit together.

Bleach and Naruto are fairly straight forward with death gods and ninja. Fairy Tail is everyone has a flavor of magic. Dragon Ball is I think the closest with the concepts of the dragon balls themselves, but most of the wider universe stuff comes far later and shouldn't count as part of your pitch doc for it.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
AZ
Hunter X Hunter has the best battle system but the world seems pretty limited and then he randomly throws in at the end of the anime that it’s just one part of a larger world
The outer world, Dark Continent stuff actually pulled me in greatly. I can see how some may have felt it was tacked on, but I love that whole concept, and can't wait to see more of it. I also can't really separate the power system of nen, from the worldbuilding of Hunter x Hunter. They are extremely interconnected for me, and it's definitely a component of why I find the verse so interesting.

And since I loved that stuff so much, it's really no wonder I was drawn to Toriko too lol.

Luigi87

Oct 25, 2017
One Piece's world is just full of interesting ideals, locales, people (Sky Island!), and a rich history that Oda has weaved for it. The way the Grand Line works (IE: Weather and magnetic poles make no sense compared to the four seas outside of it) is really neat.

Naruto's world being a Ninja World is kind of neat though.

Rosebud

Apr 16, 2018
One Piece is the bear executed no doubt and I feel that’s giving it the win in the poll but the concept of a ninja world with all these clans and samurai and everything is way more interesting. They just blew their load and showed EVERYTHING including all the past ninja and events to the beginning of time in the war arc and kneecapped it
Coincidentally OP is in a samurai/ninja arc right now hahah, and it has Naruto references

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's because in the world of One Piece everything can happen. You won't find the exactly same type of people (like Ninjas) everywhere.
The concept of One Piece is "A boy, with the power of rubber, dreams about becoming the greatest pirate and goes on an adventure in search of a hidden treasure." This is the concept of One Piece, anything more than that, as in giants and samurai, is execution, which is not what the opening is asking for. Concepts of all the examples are such that anything could happen in any of them. Naruto is about "A boy born in a Ninja village is shunned from birth because of an evil power sealed inside him aims to becomes the leader, and greatest ninja, of his village." Nothing in that says that it only has to have ninjas in it, or that it's limited to having only ninjas in it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of One Piece is "A boy, with the power of rubber, dreams about becoming the greatest pirate and goes on an adventure in search of a hidden treasure." This is the concept of One Piece, anything more than that, as in giants and samurai, is execution, which is not what the opening is asking for. Concepts of all the examples are such that anything could happen in any of them. Naruto is about "A boy born in a Ninja village is shunned from birth because of an evil power sealed inside him aims to becomes the leader, and greatest ninja, of his village." Nothing in that says that it only has to have ninjas in it, or that it's limited to having only ninjas in it.
If we're baring everything down to a one line pitch than nothing really matters because the most basic premise has pretty much no baring on if a story is good ever

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Bleach appeals to me the most (conceptually)

One Piece sounds the most boring to me (also conceptually).

I was gonna say your description of Fairy Tail is a bit under cooked but honestly? That's really it, aside from 'demons also exist'

The series never seriously explores the magic and guilds premise at all. They actually drop the 'there are different types of Guilds' thing after a point (probably because the author forgot about them). And the magic system is just never explained, ever. Magic is just whatever the story needs at any given point. There are wizards with powers as mundane as "I can summon a gun" and "I can power myself up with drugs perfume" then there's uber hax shit like "resurrecting dead people", "time stop" and "being so strong you have ALL the powers". And it's never explained why people would ever not learn the strongest magic.
If argue that yeah it was undersold a bit. From how far I’ve read it’s always read as everyone in the world has a potential for magic(which is cool), but their personality tends to lock them into a certain style(which is why only a few do the super powerful stuff, not all have the potential for it)

I mean look at it this way, the Dragonslayers all have a potential for their respective element and even if they hadn’t been boosted by their respective source they’d likely still use a magic of that element(heck most of the guild even thought Laxus was a normal lightning magic user at first and fire is a normal magic type we see a lot of people using).
The idea of a world where everyone can tap into magical powers with a chance of finding your own niche is pretty cool to me. Plus all the guild stuff

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that there's really not such a thing as a good or bad concept if we're taking it at the most fundemental level because it's execution that determines how the product comes out
Again the question isn't whether the concept is good or bad, but whether the concept is interesting or not. People are bringing up arcs that happen within one piece as why the concept is interesting, but those arcs the execution not the concept.

OP's question is not about how they turned out.

Lotus

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I factored in was One Piece itself. A world where there was an apparent "Pirate King", that left some super special treasure out somewhere for someone to find, seems like a very cool mystery. I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

I mean you're not right either since OP is talking about the worlds themselves, not a basic summary of the story

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Let me do to Naruto what you did to One Piece and strip Naruto down to nothing and make it sound purposefully unappealing

'An outcast boy tries to fit into a ninja society and overcome the prejudices of others'

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Let me do to Naruto what you did to One Piece and strip Naruto down to nothing and make it sound purposefully unappealing

'An outcast boy tries to fit into a ninja society and overcome the prejudices of others'
You just said the same thing as I did but better with way better wording. :P For the record I think One Piece is a lot better than any of the other manga's in the poll., with maybe the exception of Dragon Ball and probably only because of nostalgia.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
For pure concept, Naruto is the best by far and sounds the best on paper. If we're going by concept alone, One Piece sounds like something that I wouldn't actually like very much, while the way that it's executed makes it my favorite of these five.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
For pure concept, Naruto is the best by far and sounds the best on paper. If we're going by concept alone, One Piece sounds like something that I wouldn't actually like very much, while the way that it's executed makes it my favorite of these five.
Was the reason why I avoided it for so long, the concept of it turned me off. Glad I did give it chance though, love it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Ooo, ooo I want to try with Fairy Tail... Cept it’s semi ensemble and harder to oneline... ummm

“Runaway rich girl seeking summoning keys encounters a crazy boy with dragon fire powers and a flying cat decides to joins his guild of magical wizards with a penchant for wanton destruction”

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
OP has Naruto described as:
Naruto's world of ninjas is a bit more brutal, where much of the world seems to revolve around war or conflict and training people for that conflict from a very young age. It has different elemental countries, and a hidden ninja village for each country. Espionage, sabotage, Japanese mythology, elemental mastery, and magical eyes categorize this world.

Whether or not we can agree on the semantics of what a "concept" is, OP seems to also think that this covers the greater world of the series, not just the pitch or one sentence premise.

Lotus

Oct 25, 2017
Ooo, ooo I want to try with Fairy Tail... Cept it’s semi ensemble and harder to oneline... ummm

“Runaway rich girl seeking summoning keys encounters a crazy boy with dragon fire powers and a flying cat decides to joins his guild of magical wizards with a penchant for wanton destruction”
This sounds fun

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon ball seems like such an interesting world; a high tech society yet also a Jurassic Park like world outside the city

Not to mention a cool after life, multiple universes! They have so much to work with if they dare step outside Goku and co.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
You just said the same thing as I did but better with way better wording. :P For the record I think One Piece is a lot better than any of the other manga's in the poll., with maybe the exception of Dragon Ball and probably only because of nostalgia.
That sounds like the more interesting one line pitch honestly. It introduces a lot more
My attempt to be mildly snarky was a complete failure, you guys took it, ran with it and liked it :(

I'll stand by the idea that One Piece's pitch is more than just a 'Hero's Journey' rehash. Though the OP doesn't specify a one-line pitch or a premise, and instead asks you to consider a short synopsis of the world, which means hindsight into what the story has become is fair game. One Piece's original premise is still there and guides the plot but it's taken a backseat to the geopolitics + world building over time(IMO) which is what gets showcased more often nowadays.

I'd phrase One Piece's world description to be something like this:

"The world is circumnavigated by a stretch of ocean that defies all logic; this uncontrollable sea called the Grand Line has led to an age of piracy never before seen. Powerful warlords called Emperors have established themselves in the Grand Line, all competing for the ultimate treasure hidden in these seas; One Piece. This is the Great Pirate Era, an age where upstarts and newcomers seek to challenge both the Emperors and defy the World Government Navy all in pursuit of that treasure. Monkey D. Luffy is a young man who's assembled a crew and set his sights on this treasure and the ultimate goal, to become the King of the Pirates. This journey will take him through all of the Grand Line and it's politics, it's mysteries, and it's wonders"

Son Goku

Oct 31, 2017
The simplicity of OP's premise and concept is why it's so good, it's no holds barred.
But it’s just the most open ended. You could do a lot with it or nothing. Simply having a bunch of unexplored islands doesn’t make it the best. All the different systems and cultures and their relationships that eventually emerge are due to his fantastic world building not his initial premise

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Bleach is extremely constrained by Soul Society being so linked to feudal Japan.

I always wondered if Kubo was going to randomly pull there being an "American Soul Society" out of his ass to add even more characters.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I voted one piece after restricting myself to just considering the bare-minimum elevator pitches in the OP.

1. maritime imagery, themed islands, cursed fruits, whimsical adventure
2. hidden ninja villages and elemental magic.
3. Talking swords in the afterlife.
4 or 5: fantasy guilds vs DBZ's hodgepodge of random stuff. not sure how to rank them.

grandjedi

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonball is Journey to the West in the loosest sense

Naruto is HunterxHunter but with ninjas

Bleach is Yu Yu Hakusho but bad

One Piece is an "anime-ized" journey through the Golden Age of Piracy of the 1600s/1700s but with superpowers

Fairy Tail is One Piece but with wizards

Pretty clear which one had the best premise from the get-go. Even if Dragonball and Naruto eventually created their own unique worlds & concepts

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I think most people are missing the point of the thread. It’s about concept and potential, there seems to be a lot of comments about existing story elements... Bleach has the best premise, shame about the execution.

GaimeGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know too much about One Peice, but I don't see myself as being particularly drawn to pirate stuff. Also the fact that you eat fruit to gain new powers has always seemed a bit eh to me in comparison to a magic system like Naruto's. I mean honestly now that I think about it, I could like the world/locations/environemnts/history of OP better, but Naruto having the goat magic system that it does would probably keep it elevated.
There are different kinds of pirates in one piece. There's ruffians out to cause trouble and make a name for themselves. There's bandits out to pillage. There's warlords and conquerors.

Most of all, though, there's adventurers.

It's not about piracy, it's about adventure. The MC wants to be Pirate King, which, to him, means being "The most free person in the world."

Apr 14, 2018
DB is a non-competitor. It's a mix of everything like you said, but that doesn't make it unique world as much as an entertaining one.
Naruto's world is too juvenile conceptually. Why all these rival villages would follow similar naming and cultural conventions is wacky, and we never really expand outside of the main villages. Plus the quickness at which concepts are dropped like hand signs, chakra types, etc. never sat right with me.
Bleach's concept is it's execution. I can't seperate the two. It never made sense at any point how these worlds were related or set up, different explanations said different things.
Fairy Tale was never compelling and is generic fantasy

One Piece wins

let me use the remainder of this post to say that HxH's world and concepts suck. Nen is the worst power ever in shonen. Why don't people just imagine overpowered Nen's like Kurapika did instead of "I PUNCH REAL HARD"

V_Arnold

Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
The world building is horrible in Dragon Ball. Saiyans are such a deus ex machina there that the greek drama writers would shake their heads in disbelief.
When it comes to actual worldbuilding, Hunter x Hunter is pretty out there, shame that it was not on the top 5. One Piece's world is good in a sense that it has societies in it, it has actual power struggles, so it has a huge plus on that front. I am not too familiar with Fairy Tail/Bleach to place those anywhere, sadly.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bleach. There's a reason that's the "big 3" anime I chose to start with as a kid, it just seemed to have the most interesting ideas and coolest looking characters.